PDA

View Full Version : Geomancer Cheese?

Admiral Squish
2008-05-18, 05:39 PM
I was reading over this class in the Complete Divine and realized there's a lot of fun potential there. However, single-caster progression does make me a bit wary of it. What sort of cheese is there that you could do with this? Should I progress wizard or cleric casting? What drifts would you recommend? All in all, is the class worth taking to the end? Thanks for the help, in advance.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-18, 05:42 PM
I was reading over this class in the Complete Divine and realized there's a lot of fun potential there. However, single-caster progression does make me a bit wary of it. What sort of cheese is there that you could do with this? Should I progress wizard or cleric casting? What drifts would you recommend? All in all, is the class worth taking to the end? Thanks for the help, in advance.

Nah, it's a buncha crap. Others will explain in detail.

Admiral Squish
2008-05-18, 06:12 PM
...I don't suppose you could be troubled to explain it?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-18, 06:17 PM
...I don't suppose you could be troubled to explain it?

Since apparently no one can 'splain it, sure. Essentially, you kill off your primary casting by multiclassing, then you stop advancing your secondary casting to desperately have a semblance of normal casting in your primary casting. End result, you stall your primary casting, never fly off with your secondary casting, and get pretty crappy abilties. It's like a mystic theurge, but MUCH weaker.

Admiral Squish
2008-05-18, 06:24 PM
Since apparently no one can 'splain it, sure. Essentially, you kill off your primary casting by multiclassing, then you stop advancing your secondary casting to desperately have a semblance of normal casting in your primary casting. End result, you stall your primary casting, never fly off with your secondary casting, and get pretty crappy abilties. It's like a mystic theurge, but MUCH weaker.

I don't have the book handy, but it says you have to cast second level arcane and divine spells to qualify, IIRC. Couldn't that be done with precocious apprentice and only lose you one caster level?

UglyPanda
2008-05-18, 06:25 PM
It works fine in gestalt, but in a normal game, the ley lines don't compensate for caster level loss and drifts are weaker than wild shape.
Also, is it just me, or does the geomancer's skill list include scry?

Glyde
2008-05-18, 07:37 PM
Spell Versatility means you can cast arcane spells without spell failure. Neat huh?

Jack Mann
2008-05-18, 07:38 PM
Not neat enough.

Glyde
2008-05-18, 07:41 PM
If you look past the alternatives, it is indeed neat enough. Some people build characters around fluff.

Jack Mann
2008-05-18, 07:46 PM
I'd rather play something effective, and then write my own fluff. It's better to use good mechanics and change the fluff, than go for poor mechanics purely for the fluff. Fluff can be changed, and a hell of a lot easier than mechanics.

Glyde
2008-05-18, 07:48 PM
But not everyone's like that. Most of the players I play with aren't into the whole writing thing - but they still like to RP. They'd rather have stuff written out for them. It's a pity, I know, but it can't be helped.

To each their own - I'm right there with you when it comes to creativity AND effectiveness. Just makes you feel good.

ImperiousLeader
2008-05-18, 09:12 PM
My understanding of the Geomancer is that it can be optimized to make a fairly decent character. The trick is to make it a melee character, the Geo has medium BAB, and a lot of drifts offer good natural attacks, and as noted, can cast in armour. Focus on gaining good buff spells and choosing a good set of drifts. But make no mistake, you really can't get a good caster out of a Geomancer.

Keld Denar
2008-05-18, 09:57 PM
About the only thing its good for is in gestalt to cheese the hell out of spell versitility to allow you to treat your arcane spells as divine, then apply divine metamagic to them. DM Persisted Greater Blink or something silly to go with your normal DP/RM.

D Knight
2008-05-19, 04:50 PM
if you want good drifts then look no father than drift 1. why you ask because you get camels hump and plant stuff. now you have a ring of sustenance with out the cost to buy one.

Keld Denar
2008-05-19, 05:07 PM
if you want good drifts then look no father than drift 1. why you ask because you get camels hump and plant stuff. now you have a ring of sustenance with out the cost to buy one.

Eh, the ring slot itself is worth a lot more than the 2k gold that a ring of sustanance costs. There are lots of very nice rings that can't be duplicated by other effects (FoM), so its not actually about money, moreso about real estate.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-19, 05:10 PM
Eh, the ring slot itself is worth a lot more than the 2k gold that a ring of sustanance costs. There are lots of very nice rings that can't be duplicated by other effects (FoM), so its not actually about money, moreso about real estate.

But seriously, you get a freakin' camel hump. Sure, anyone can write down on a character sheet that you have a camel hump, but then a fascist DM can deny you it. This gives you one, RAW. How imba is that???