PDA

View Full Version : Undead Miners

Lady Tialait
2008-05-19, 12:54 AM
Alright, Two different undead monsters for your reviewing pleasure. Please, I want your honest thoughts on them.

Mountain Dwarf Zombie
Medium Humanoid (Undead)
HD 2D12+3 (15)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Init: +0
AC 12; touch 9; flat-footed 12
(Natural Armor +3, Dex -1)
BAB +1; Grp +2
Attack Slam+2 melee
(1d6+1)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks -
Special Qualities Single actions only, damage reduction 5/slashing, darkvision 60 ft., undead traits, Mountain Skin
Saves Fort +0, Ref -1, Will +3
Abilities Str 12, Dex 8, Con Ø, Int Ø, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills -
Feats Toughness
Environment Mountains near Dwarven outposts.
Organization Any
Challenge Rating ????
Treasure None.
Alignment NE
Level Adjustment -

This miserable sight moans dirt seeming to solidify around it's body creating a shell. It moves slowly toward you ready to bite.

Mountain Skin (Ex) :

This special trait gives a few special features to a Dwarven Mountain Zombie.

First, they gain DR 5/bludgeoning if this DR is overcome, it reduces by 1 to a minimum of 0. This in essence gives the Dwarven Mountain Zombie DR 5/- till they loose some of the mountain skin.

Second, the skin acts like armor spikes on the Dwarven Mountain Zombie's body dealing 1 damage per point of DR/bludgeoning.

Third, the skin acts to slow the Dwarven Mountain Zombie, lowering it's base land speed by 5 ft. per point of DR/bludgeoning to a minimum of 5 ft.

Human Child Zombie
Small Humanoid (Undead)
HD 2D12+3 (15)
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares)
Init: +0
AC 7; touch 4; flat-footed 13
(Natural Armor +3, Dex -6)
BAB +1; Grp +2
Attack Slam+2 melee
(1d6+0)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks -
Special Qualities Single actions only, damage reduction 5/slashing, darkvision 60 ft., undead traits, Sorrow
Saves Fort +0, Ref -6, Will +3
Abilities Str 10, Dex 4, Con Ø, Int Ø, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills -
Feats Toughness
Environment In infected human cities.
Organization Any
Challenge Rating ????
Treasure None.
Alignment NE
Level Adjustment -

You feel immense grief as you look upon this pitiful creature, as you think of some way to help it it lunges at you with sharp teeth.

Sorrow (Su):

At the mere sight of a human child zombie, the viewer must succeed on a DC 15 Will save or be paralyzed with grief for 1d4 rounds. Whether or not the save is successful, that creature cannot be affected again by the same human child zombie’s sorrow ability for 24 hours. The save DC is Wisdom-based.

Alright, those are my new zombies. Please, tell me what you think of them. I'm a bit rusty but, these are what went through my head and I wanna know what people think.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-19, 02:23 AM
They are quite interesting. Wouldn't the child zombie have higher Dex, though? (I know the normal zombie template imposes a -2 Dex penalty on the creature which recieves the template, and I'd assume children would have reasonable Dex to begin with).

hexbox
2008-05-19, 04:55 AM
Kids are rather weaker then adults. actually I am amazed he got STR 10. a kid that did not undergo some heavy training from birth should be far weaker then a lvl 1 commoner. and this zombie will beat him without the ability. and in ease too.
Too much physical prowess to the zombie kid lower it to 1HD, maybe even half HD. and I don't think it should be human-restricted, any kid will do. (maybe a kid from the same race gets +2 to the DC of the ability to improve the ability, instead of the physical power?)

Lady Tialait
2008-05-19, 05:18 AM
Alright, to Fennac, I made them low dex because of a child template I found randomly I remembered. -4 Str, -4 Dex, -2 int, -2 cha. The zombie template gives -2 dex, and +2 Str, so I came out with 10 Str, and 4 dex. It's really weak.

As for Hexbox, the str is about right for the whole, as for the sorrow ability being stronger against the same race, I was considering it. But, this was made for a campaign i'm running and i was just using small zombies for the children so I decided change that. But, it's true it could be race change-able.

Demented
2008-05-19, 06:20 AM
The 'Sorrow' ability indicates that there's more to the child zombie than just its age, given that it's a supernatural ability and adventurers aren't much given to pity, but the description doesn't give any explanation for it.

The mountain dwarfs are excellent fun.

. . . I also see that you're in the school of thought that rounds off dice roll averages before completing the sum.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-19, 06:42 AM
I hadn't heard of that particular child template before (I know d20 Modern has one, but it's different).

Lady Tialait
2008-05-19, 02:40 PM
The 'Sorrow' ability indicates that there's more to the child zombie than just its age, given that it's a supernatural ability and adventurers aren't much given to pity, but the description doesn't give any explanation for it.

The mountain dwarfs are excellent fun.

. . . I also see that you're in the school of thought that rounds off dice roll averages before completing the sum.

Yeah, they are supernatural incarnations of what you should feel when seeing a dead child. We all know Adventurers on average, even Mr. Paladin, won't give a care about it. That is beyond lip service.

Thanks for the comment on the mountain dwarfs.

I am, it cheats my monsters out of a few HP but, it lessens my headache..I custom make most monsters in my game so I see averages on dice not the sum. But, if you plan on using them for your game and want that 1 HP by all means put it in there.

I hadn't heard of that particular child template before (I know d20 Modern has one, but it's different).

Yeah, the modern one is not the one i'm using. I forgot where it was but, it's what I use. If I remember where i got it i'll tell you.

Jayngfet
2008-05-19, 03:16 PM
Child zombie needs a higher dex.

Lady Tialait
2008-05-19, 05:03 PM
I may jump the Dex up a bit, but I just applyed templates as I had them then added the sorrow ability, not truly a whole lot of homebrew, but it's there.

What CR should these be, i'm not so sure on the Dwarven Zombies after all they have a neato ability I was thinking CR 1, but i'm not exactly sure.

As for the Child zombie I was thinking CR 1/4 after all they are low HP, Low AC, and not really a threat in combat except as the sorrow effect.

Any comments on that?

wakazashi.juice
2008-05-19, 07:50 PM
Mountain Skin (Ex) :
This special trait gives a few special features to a Dwarven Mountain Zombie.
First, they gain DR 5/bludgeoning if this DR is overcome, it reduces by 1 to a minimum of 0. This in essence gives the Dwarven Mountain Zombie DR 5/- till they loose some of the mountain skin.
Second, the skin acts like armor spikes on the Dwarven Mountain Zombie's body dealing 1 damage per point of DR/bludgeoning.
Third, the skin acts to slow the Dwarven Mountain Zombie, lowering it's base land speed by 5 ft. per point of DR/bludgeoning to a minimum of 5 ft.

What? :smallconfused: You should clarify this, its a tad vague.

What I got out of it was that a Dwarven Mountain Zombie has DR/Blugeoning, and when someone hits it with a blugeoning weapon its DR goes down by one, armor spike damage goes down by 1, and its speed goes up by 5 ft. per round.

Also: the title of this thread should be: Undead Miners and Minors :smalltongue:

Lady Tialait
2008-05-20, 12:28 AM
What? You should clarify this, its a tad vague.

What I got out of it was that a Dwarven Mountain Zombie has DR/Bludgeoning, and when someone hits it with a bludgeoning weapon its DR goes down by one, armor spike damage goes down by 1, and its speed goes up by 5 ft. per round.

Also: the title of this thread should be: Undead Miners and Minors

Clarifying!

When the Mountain Skin gets struck by a bludgeoning weapon the DR goes down by one it's armor spike damges goes down by 1, and it's speed goes up by 5ft.

This happens each time it gets struck by a bludgeoning weapon till it has no DR.

Example: Jozan (because we still love that bastage) carrys a mace, and is somehow out of turn undead, he strikes a DMZ with his mace dealing 1D6 damage the DMZ but it's still reduced by the DR 5/slashing, it's DR/bludgeoning drops down to DR 4/bludgeoning, it's armor spike damage goes down to 4, and it's speed goes to 10ft.

Redgar strikes the DMZ with his Greatsword (slashing damage) his damage will be reduced by 4/bludgeoning.

Lidda strikes the DMZ with her Rapier and her damage would reduced by the slashing DR.

Mialee is batman...so we have a dead zombie here.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-20, 01:31 AM
Thanks for offering to find the child template you used (it doesn't matter that much, though). I was only mentioning it because it was the only template I'd heard of.

Lady Tialait
2008-05-20, 01:38 AM
Salright, but for some reason, after going through some of my books (I don't wanna go through all of them..i've got alot of mongoose and other OGL books...) I couldn't find it. Forgive me.

Any Ideas for the Currect CR for them?

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-20, 04:17 AM
I'm not that good at judging balance, but I'd say the current CR is okay for them. If I'm underestimating their sorrow ability, they would probably be fine as a 1/2.