PDA

View Full Version : Researching spells

happyturtle
2008-05-19, 04:09 AM
Are there any rules for researching spells? My character would like to create a spell that is less powerful but has a longer duration than an existing PHB divine spell. She's a 7th level cleric with maxed out spellcraft and Knowledge (religion).

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-19, 04:44 AM
Are there any rules for researching spells? My character would like to create a spell that is less powerful but has a longer duration than an existing PHB divine spell. She's a 7th level cleric with maxed out spellcraft and Knowledge (religion).

They are in the PHB somewhere, magic chaper IIRC. It makes use of the Knowledge skill IIRC.

bosssmiley
2008-05-19, 05:11 AM
Plot hook!

You want a new divine power; one unheard of in the annals of your ancient and hallowed religion? Start questing and praying, and hope that your godly patron will reward you with knowledge of this new, unprecedented rite as a mark of his/her great favour.

Expect to spend a lot of time fighting your god's favoured enemies. :smallwink:

Tengu
2008-05-19, 05:12 AM
My character would like to create a spell that is less powerful but has a longer duration than an existing PHB divine spell.

Divine Power?

happyturtle
2008-05-19, 05:36 AM
Divine Power?

Nothing so cheesy. Freedom of Movement.

TempusCCK
2008-05-19, 10:13 AM
I've always imagined it's alot like preparing a spell in the morning...

You work with the magical components of the spell, the words of power and the gestures, you weave the divine power through your holy symbol by sheer force of will, causing the manifested aura of your God to make some massive, life changing effect in the mortal realm!

So you'd probably make a Spellcraft check and spend some time working on it. We do it in a homebrewed fashion in my game, so I have no idea what RAW says.

marjan
2008-05-19, 10:45 AM
DMG p35. Not exactly rules, but it is the closest you can get.

happyturtle
2008-05-19, 12:46 PM
DMG p35. Not exactly rules, but it is the closest you can get.

I don't have a DMG, and I won't get a chance to borrow anyone else's until our next gaming session next month. Could anyone give me a brief description of what the DMG says about researching spells? The bit in the PHB was useless.

kamikasei
2008-05-19, 12:53 PM
I don't have a DMG, and I won't get a chance to borrow anyone else's until our next gaming session next month. Could anyone give me a brief description of what the DMG says about researching spells? The bit in the PHB was useless.

The section on pg35 just gives guidelines for DMs on how to adjudicate the level of a homebrewed spell, basically.

Soup of Kings
2008-05-19, 03:13 PM
Page 179 of the PHB:
"Independent Research: A wizard also can research a spell independently, duplicating an existing spell or creating an entirely new one."

And then it refers to the bit they were talking about in the DMG.

If you don't have one, Google "D20 SRD" and check the System Reference Document.

It works the same way for Divine Spellcasters, with the stipulation that only the spell's creator can cast the spell.

I recommend getting permission from your DM, telling him what you want to do, and having him go over the rules for it in the DMG and give you the new spell (After your character puts in the work, obviously.)

kamikasei
2008-05-19, 03:18 PM
However, there aren't any rules I can see to say how one goes about researching new spells. There are just guidelines for the DM to judge how powerful a spell is. There's nothing like the epic spell research rules, or crafting guidelines, or the like.

Bayar
2008-05-19, 03:35 PM
Erm...it isnt about wizard, nor arcane spell research. It is about divine magic, not divine school.

As how you could get it, pray to your god AKA beg the DM to give it to you :wink:

Soup of Kings
2008-05-19, 10:06 PM
Erm...it isnt about wizard, nor arcane spell research. It is about divine magic, not divine school.

Sigh...

Page 179 of the PHB:
"Independent Research: A wizard also can research a spell independently, duplicating an existing spell or creating an entirely new one."

And then it refers to the bit they were talking about in the DMG.

If you don't have one, Google "D20 SRD" and check the System Reference Document.

It works the same way for Divine Spellcasters, with the stipulation that only the spell's creator can cast the spell.

I recommend getting permission from your DM, telling him what you want to do, and having him go over the rules for it in the DMG and give you the new spell (After your character puts in the work, obviously.)

Read it again, noting that I didn't edit the last post.