PDA

View Full Version : Please Advise on this PC Build

Feitels
2008-05-19, 05:15 AM
A friend recently pointed me to this forum, for constructive critique.

I am creating a PC build. The DM has requested a projection upto 15th level, to see the direction the PC's in his group wish to go and to work around it.

I was wondering if the my PC build is:

1) min/maxed or super optimized, 2) good/well designed, 3 average or 4 crappy.

Below are the classes he will take (in level order):

Thalganis - Race: Elven - Ranger 1, Barbarian 1, Swashbuckler 1, Fighter 2, Wizard 1, Bladesinger 5, Spellsword 1, Edlritch Knight 3.

Everything below (unless noted) relates to my PC at 15th level (started with 32 point buy with 1st level Ranger scores in brackets).
St:18 (14), Dex;27 (18), Con:12 (12), Int: 20 (16), Wis: 8 (8), Cha:8 (8).
All three ability increase went into Dex. Rest is from magic item buffs: gloves (+6), headband (+4) and belt (+4).

Traits and Flaws (UA): Cautious and Inattentative

Saves: F:19, R:18, W:11 Only magic is +3 Cloak of Resistance. Rest all class
or race related bonuses. No specific bonus are factored in such as for Raging ect

Feats: Exotic Wpn Elven Thinblade, Wpn Focus Thinblade, Combat Casting, Combat Exp, Imp Combat Exp, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Power Attack,
Improved Critical.

Movement; 40 x 4, Boots of Speed (when activated) 70 x4.

Base Melee 18/13/8
Range 22/17/12

With melee weapon of choice: +4 Adamantine Eleven Thinblade: 27/22/17 Dam 1d8+8 Crit 15-20 x 2
With range weapon of choice: +2 Comp Long (Mighty +2): 24/19/14
Dam 1d8 +4 Crit 20 x 3

The characters main strength is how difficult it is to hit him (he is cautious after all!):

Total AC 31: +4 padded leafweave amour (+5), +2 Ring protection (+2), Dex 26 (+8), Bladesinger - Bladesong Style (+5), Dodge (House Rule - applies all attackers) (+1).

Fighting defensive AC goes to 34: +2 fight defensive, +1 5 ranks Tumble, +1 Cautious trait.

Fighting full defensive (never use it, see why bellow under PC tactics) AC goes to 37: +4 fight defensive, +1 5 ranks Tumble, +1 Cautious trait.

Then Combat Exp and Improved can also stack with Fighting Defensively.
His potential AC is a whopping AC 48. This before haste (boots of speed) +1 AC bonus or any other spell magic spells such as Shield or Haste (save boots) kick in.
Even at AC 45 he is still at 13/8/3 to hit with Elven thinblade.
If Hasted (either boots or casting) and Heroism its AC 46 at 16/11/6.

As a caster of magic he has spells per day as a 7th level caster:
Wizard 1, Bladesinger +3, Spellsword +1, Eldritch Knight +2.
His Int of 20 gives him a final score of 4, 6, 4, 3, 2.
While I know he is far more fighter than mage, spells like Heroism, Mirror Image, Blur, Expeditious Retreat (save boots), Shield, Fire Shield, Ray of Enfeeblement even True Strike combine with Spring attack can make him effective. He can even Rage if he needs too.

Please provide your thoughts on this build.

I would really appreciate constructive feedback as PC building is by no means a strength of mine and infact its my first real attempt. Please note as a caveat to all this that I am in it for the roleplaying. This PC really appeals to me. However as a party member he needs to pull his weight.

There are only 4 other players. A Human Paladin (Heronious), Dwarven Cleric War Good (Clandigan Silverbeard), Human Fighter (Heronious), a Human Sorcerer and Elven Ranger (my PC). All are playing Lawful Good.

Moak
2008-05-19, 06:28 AM
Books allowed?

Solo
2008-05-19, 07:00 AM
Thalganis - Race: Elven - Ranger 1, Barbarian 1, Swashbuckler 1, Fighter 2, Wizard 1, Bladesinger 5, Spellsword 1, Edlritch Knight 3.
Dare I ask what happens to your XP income when you multiclass like that?

I would really appreciate constructive feedback as PC building is by no means a strength of mine and infact its my first real attempt. Please note as a caveat to all this that I am in it for the roleplaying. This PC really appeals to me. However as a party member he needs to pull his weight.

I approve. Your attitude is full of Awesome and Win.

Solo
2008-05-19, 08:20 AM
Below are the classes he will take (in level order):

Thalganis - Race: Elven - Ranger 1, Barbarian 1, Swashbuckler 1, Fighter 2, Wizard 1[/b], Bladesinger 5, Spellsword 1, Edlritch Knight 3.
Too many classes, XP penalty for multiclassing

Everything below (unless noted) relates to my PC at 15th level (started with 32 point buy with 1st level Ranger scores in brackets).
St:18 (14), Dex;27 (18), Con:12 (12), Int: 20 (16), Wis: 8 (8), Cha:8 (8).
All three ability increase went into Dex. Rest is from magic item buffs: gloves (+6), headband (+4) and belt (+4).
Your Con and Str are too low. You won't have the strength to hurt things. Seriously, anything with DR will screw you over. You can get +5 from GMW, but that's still not much if you plan to do fighting.

Saves: F:19, R:18, W:11 Only magic is +3 Cloak of Resistance. Rest all class
or race related bonuses. No specific bonus are factored in such as for Raging ect
Poor will save could cause you some grief when facing spells.

Feats: Exotic Wpn Elven Thinblade, Wpn Focus Thinblade, Combat Casting, Combat Exp, Imp Combat Exp, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Power Attack,
Improved Critical.
Spring Attack! It's a TRAP!

Base Melee 18/13/8
Range 22/17/12
Your melee AB is going to have a hard time making contact.

The characters main strength is how difficult it is to hit him (he is cautious after all!):

But you also must be able to hit back.

As a caster of magic he has spells per day as a 7th level caster:
Wizard 1, Bladesinger +3, Spellsword +1, Eldritch Knight +2.
His Int of 20 gives him a final score of 4, 6, 4, 3, 2.

As a 7th level caster? You'll need a lot more than 4th level buffs to keep you competitive at level 15.

ShaggyMarco
2008-05-19, 08:25 AM
His multi-clasisng isn't an issue: all base classes are within 1 level of each other.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-19, 08:27 AM
All of the classes are within 1 of each other, save for prestige classes (which don't count) ... I see no reason for there to be a penalty.

bigbaddragon
2008-05-19, 08:37 AM
Your dexterity seems suspicious, ie you have three DEX boosting items and if all of them give enhancement bonuses they won't stack, you can apply only the highest bonus.

Also Inattentive flaw will hurt you too much because until you get your turn in the first round you are considered flat footed which leaves you too vulnerable since you are going to be a front liner and you aiming for highest dexterity possible as I can see (-4 to initiative, or was it -6, is to much). Consider something like Shaky or Vulnerable (-1AC won't hurt you nearly as much).

Edit: My mistake, I confused it with Unreactive flaw.

ZeroNumerous
2008-05-19, 08:44 AM
Suggestions: Lose EWP: Thinblade, Dodge, Mobility, and Spring Attack. Lose ranger, barbarian, and fighter, then decide whether you want to be a gish or a caster.

If Gish: Swashbuckler 3/Wizard 5/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight 2. End result: INT/STR to damage, DEX to attack bonus, BAB of +12, and Wizard Casting of 11/15.

Feats: Combat Casting is the only pre-req feat you need to pull this off easily.

If Caster: Wizard 5/Full Casting PrCs (10). Honestly, it doesn't matter. Just pick stuff so you don't lose out on caster levels.

Feats: Whatever you want.

If you're going Gish and you want to retain the thinblade, then just pick up Improved Weapon Familiarity so that you treat all weapons with "Elven" in the name as martial weapons. Then pick up an Elven Courtblade for power-attack goodness. If you do go with the courtblade, then drop Strength to a base 13 and move the +STR belt over to a +CON Amulet. It'll help significantly more than bonuses to STR.

EDIT: ^--Inattentive has nothing to do with Initiative (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm#inattentive).

Solo
2008-05-19, 08:44 AM
Alright, I'll take your words for it on the multiclassing issue.

Firestar27
2008-06-19, 10:02 PM
What is the cautious flaw? (Don't give a full description, it's not in the SRD, just what it affects, not enough to use in-game) [/legally cautious]

KillianHawkeye
2008-06-19, 10:10 PM
Cautious isn't a Flaw, it's a Trait. Check your SRD again.

JeminiZero
2008-06-20, 02:18 AM
My humble comments: Your party is missing a skill monkey. Consider going for a primary rogue. If you don't want a primary rogue, then consider going Human for able learner, and splashing rogue, which will let you max out Search/Disable/Tumble/UMD at each level (provided you have the Int and skill points).