PDA

View Full Version : Q: Drawing a weapon

trashcan01
2008-05-19, 06:09 AM
Is it possible to draw a weapon as a free action ( +1BAB ) as a part of 5-foot step and make a full attack the same round?

The rules say anyone can draw a weapon as free action as a part of move action as long as his BAB is +1 or higher.

5-foot step = move action (free) + drawing a weapon (free) then full attack.

Or is it possible with Quick draw only? Or it is NOT possible at all.

My reasoning is its possible beacuse youre a trained fighter. Why couldnt you draw your weapon while making 2 steps? Some of my friends disagree - so here ya go ppl. Final word is yours. Thnx.

Mr. Friendly
2008-05-19, 06:18 AM
By the book answer?

No. You would need Quick Draw to do what you want.

Draw or Sheathe a Weapon
Drawing a weapon so that you can use it in combat, or putting it away so that you have a free hand, requires a move action. This action also applies to weapon-like objects carried in easy reach, such as wands. If your weapon or weapon-like object is stored in a pack or otherwise out of easy reach, treat this action as retrieving a stored item.

If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you may draw a weapon as a free action combined with a regular move. If you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, you can draw two light or one-handed weapons in the time it would normally take you to draw one.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-05-19, 06:27 AM
No. A 5-foot step/adjustment is not a Move Action (as in Full, Standard, Move, Swift, Free, Immediate), even though it is an action that involves a move.

trashcan01
2008-05-19, 06:33 AM
Thnx alot. Dammit. I was wrong. Dammit! AAAAAAAAARRRRGH *head explosion*

PS: Also by that logic, could you draw a weapon as a part of a charge or it must be a normal move action?

TempusCCK
2008-05-19, 10:16 AM
Just says move action, a charge is a limited move action, but still a move action.

Logically, if you have the ability to draw something in the amount of time it takes to make a 30 foot run/walk, why could you not in the time it takes to make a 40 foot charge?

KillianHawkeye
2008-05-19, 06:02 PM
Again, by RAW, a charge is NOT a Move Action, even though it technically involves moving.

Charge
Charging is a special full-round action that allows you to move up to twice your speed and attack during the action.
*emphasis added

Tsotha-lanti
2008-05-20, 05:57 AM
Well, looking at the text, it's not about Move Actions, but about a "regular move" - don't imagine a charge counts as a regular move, though.

Bayar
2008-05-20, 06:23 AM
Even though I know this, I still draw a weapon during a 5ft step or a charge as a free action because I justify it as being part of a MOVE, not part of a move action. :smallbiggrin:

And this just occured to me: If you stand still,draw a weapon as a move action, can you draw a second weapon as a free action part of the first move action ?

Thanatos 51-50
2008-05-20, 06:27 AM
And this just occured to me: If you stand still,draw a weapon as a move action, can you draw a second weapon as a free action part of the first move action ?

We allknow D&D is silly, but its not THAT silly. I believe somewhere or another, this is given the offical green-light by the rulebooks. I'm too lazy to look for it, though.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-05-20, 06:58 AM

There is no need for that. Drawing two weapons can be done as a move action if you have the TWF feat.

If you have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, you can draw two light or one-handed weapons in the time it would normally take you to draw one.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-05-20, 07:49 AM

It's not a "regular move" though.

ericgrau
2008-05-20, 02:54 PM
It's a regular move not a move action. As in, that thing that let's you move a distance up to your speed barring obstacles. It helps conceptually if you picture a character performing the action and thinking about why they let you do it as part of a move in the first place.

You can draw two weapons at the same time as part of a single move if you have two weapon fighting, btw.