PDA

View Full Version : Playing Earthbound Using 4E: Finally, A Sequel In America!

Leliel
2008-05-19, 02:20 PM
As you may have guessed, I have been thinking about running a Mother(the series that Earthbound is part of)-based game using d20, and seeing the 4E rules, I find them perfect for this purpose! Here's the setting:

Game takes place after Mother 3 (the sequel to Earthbound). The inhabitants of Nowhere Island have successfully awakened the Dragon underneath the isle with the assistance of Lucas, and it has made the mainland suitable for human life once more. They have gone back there, ready and willing to start civilization anew.

That would be fine, if it wasn't for the fact that civilization has already started anew. As it turns out, the leftover sentient AIs, genetically engineered psi mutants, and super soldier cyborgs left over from the war that forced the inhabitants to Nowhere Island in the first place have banded together to create their own little empire. Although most of them are happy to find out that the normal humans survived the war and welcome them with open arms, there are quite a few who blame them for turning the world into a semi-radioactive ruin, and plan to "get rid of them" in the bloodiest and most painful way possible. Add time-traveling jerk king Pokey Minch's escape from the Absolutely Safe Capsule...There's a few problems.

So what are your suggestions for this idea? What do you think the racial benefits and penalties for the psi mutants and cyborgs be (I'm not doing the machines, on the basis that I don't know how to make a pure construct-not a living one-playable without brakeing the rules)? How do you think I should handle the PK powers, given they are more thematically similar to magic in Mother than actual D&D psionics?

EDIT: Few things that I made up myself:

1) The psi mutants are products of Project Paragon, the same governmental program that created the cyborgs. While the cyborgs were ment to be the epitome of physical perfection, the mutants were supposed to be mentally perfect, more intelligent then normal humans and more capable of powerful PK powers. They later joined with the cyborgs when they rebelled against the cruel and amoral leaders of the program.

2) The cyborgs themselves are no different from humans at birth, but are quickly modified with ability-enhancing implants and semi-intrelligent nanites that allow them to interface with machines from a distance and by thought.

Behold_the_Void
2008-05-19, 02:24 PM
Actually if you're interested in a different system, might I offer the anime-based system I am in the process of acquiring playtesters for. It's designed for things like this, so it might suit your fancy.

If you're set on 4e, I can't say for certain since all the source material isn't out yet, but apparently the Monster Manual has the Warforged PC rules, which can probably be adapted. Most of the PK abilities would be Powers obtained throughout the character's career, probably based around some of the Wizard available powers.

Leliel
2008-05-19, 03:31 PM
OK, good points.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Xefas
2008-05-19, 03:38 PM
What do you think the racial benefits and penalties for the psi mutants and cyborgs be...

I tried using wikipedia to find information on these, but had no such luck. If you can link me to some place with information about them, I can try giving them a shot.

Leliel
2008-05-19, 03:45 PM
I tried using wikipedia to find information on these, but had no such luck. If you can link me to some place with information about them, I can try giving them a shot.

You won't find any. Homebrewed race. I had assumed you'd be able to draw somthing by their name alone. I...do not think that was smart.

Come to think of it, it was probably unrealistic to ask anyone without giving you any background on them. Sorry, and let me edit

Indon
2008-05-19, 03:54 PM
So what are your suggestions for this idea? What do you think the racial benefits and penalties for the psi mutants and cyborgs be (I'm not doing the machines, on the basis that I don't know how to make a pure construct-not a living one-playable without brakeing the rules)? How do you think I should handle the PK powers, given they are more thematically similar to magic in Mother than actual D&D psionics?

If you're going to use the 4'th edition rules, the PK powers will be easy - the only difference between physical, arcane, and divine abilities is their name, after all - so just call the power set "Psychokinesis" and you're golden.

I'd make power frequency scale with level - for instance, Alpha-level powers may start out as per-encounter powers at low levels (being supplimented by weapon use and basic weapon powers), with maybe Beta-level powers as daily powers. Then, say, every level tier, the characters start scaling up a tier in their power as well.

Example: PK Healing
Level 1: Alpha, Per-Encounter; Beta, Daily
Level 11: Alpha, At Will; Beta, Per-Encounter; Gamma, Daily
Level 21: Alpha and Beta, At Will; Gamma, Per-Encounter; Omega, Daily

Or something like that.

UglyPanda
2008-05-19, 04:05 PM
I loved Earthbound and want Mother 3 to be localized so badly. However, I don't like your fluff at all. The Mother games were quirky, not cyberpunk. Earthbound was light-hearted, while Mother 3 was intended to be a disturbing because of the loss of innocence, not because of the things attacking. Look at the abandoned playground level in Super Smash Bros Brawl (Made by the same company), not straight-up scary, it's just disturbing as hell. Then there's a lot of stuff that just doesn't transfer well from video games which was the main appeal of the series: The bizarre graphics; The music; The trippy tie-dye backgrounds. It just doesn't work.

Leliel
2008-05-19, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=UglyPanda;4342889] -Snip- [QUOTE]

I suppose you are correct. I guess the "loss of innocence" subplot influenced my look at the sereies. Plus, you cannot fight Gigyas without realizing that this is not a kids game.

However, I do not plan on detracting from the "whimsy" as you call it. The world has long recovered from the war, and although bizzare, it's actually pretty nice. And believe me the things attacking are not scary for the most part. I just never did "lighthearted" well.

Hal
2008-05-19, 04:50 PM
I loved Earthbound and want Mother 3 to be localized so badly. However, I don't like your fluff at all. The Mother games were quirky, not cyberpunk. Earthbound was light-hearted, while Mother 3 was intended to be a disturbing because of the loss of innocence, not because of the things attacking. Look at the abandoned playground level in Super Smash Bros Brawl (Made by the same company), not straight-up scary, it's just disturbing as hell. Then there's a lot of stuff that just doesn't transfer well from video games which was the main appeal of the series: The bizarre graphics; The music; The trippy tie-dye backgrounds. It just doesn't work.

On the one hand, I agree.

On the other hand, I played a game of "Earthbound" using Savage Worlds rules at a con, and it was ludicrous fun. What was supposed to be an epic boss battle against Porky was cut short when, during his monolog, the character playing Prince Poo's counterpart walked up and kicked him in the nuts.

Now, if you don't know Savage Worlds rules, you get "exploding dice." This means that if you roll a check, and you get the highest possible value on a die, you get to reroll that die as long as you keep getting the highest possible value. This means that the more it happens, the more wildly successful your check can be.

The nut-kicking die exploded four times.

The GM was a bit put off, as his climactic end fight was just rochambeau'd out of existence, but we were laughing so hard around the table I don't think it ever really mattered.

Xefas
2008-05-19, 06:25 PM
1) The psi mutants are products of Project Paragon, the same governmental program that created the cyborgs. While the cyborgs were ment to be the epitome of physical perfection, the mutants were supposed to be mentally perfect, more intelligent then normal humans and more capable of powerful PK powers. They later joined with the cyborgs when they rebelled against the cruel and amoral leaders of the program.

This would be my first impression.

Psi Mutant
Abilities: +2 to Intelligence
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal
-------------
Languages: Common
-------------
Trained Skills: One extra intelligence based skill
Psionic Mind: If the Mutant's base class is of the Psi power source, they gain 1 additional at-will power from their class's list. If the Mutant's base class is of a non-Psi power source, they gain 1 at-will power from the class list of any Psi class as an encounter power.
-------------
{table=head]Mental Acceleration (Psi Mutant Racial Power)
You temporarily increase the speed at which your mind transmits data, becoming supernaturally focused on the task at hand.
Encounter * Psi
Immediate Interrupt (Personal)
Effect: This ability can either be used to add your intelligence modifier to any one roll you make, or to increase one of your defenses for the purposes of one attack aimed at you.[/table]

-------------

Racial Feat:
Practiced Mind
You have learned how to accelerate your mind even further without damaging it.
Benefit: When you use the Mental Acceleration racial power, treat your intelligence bonus as 2 higher.

pancakesremo
2008-05-19, 08:05 PM
I'm happy that someone else is doing the same thing as I am, trying to make a great d20 reincarnation of the great Mother series. Honestly, it takes a lot of time, and I know, I'm making my revisions (some serious ones) to a hastily put together tabletop RPG for Earthbound. What I really liked about it was that it worked like the game did: your stats change as you level up. Also, they (and I am keeping it) used the exp straight from the game, so it further balances out the crazy 'broken-ness' of some of the characters. One thing I am doing, and I would love to hear someone else use, is the Guts rules I came up with. I made Guts a percentage that represents how much damage you ignore if you receive a blow to the noggin that takes away an eighth or more of your HP. For example, a Guts of 75 means that the first turn you take 25% of the damage, then another the next turn, and on and on. I don't mean to backseat drive your rule writing, just putting some of my own ideas out there.

I kinda like where you are going with the story and all, but trust me, rules for PSI will get annoying when the PCs face PK using NPCs. Its a little dark, which can be a good thing, but I have to agree with the others, this doesn't really feels like a Mother kind of campaign. I realize you are still making the rules, but don't make it overly complicated or feel like a completely different game. Earthbound and Mother 3 were quirky and fun, and this sounds, well, not at all like that. While what Hal said is true, that it can be frustrating as a DM to run a campaign where the big bad guy just got all his HP nut-kicked away, it has the feeling of wackiness that IS Earthbound. As a d20 Modern story, sweet, but as a Mother fan story, make it a little more light hearted.

Keep on keepin' on

Leliel
2008-05-20, 06:55 PM
Yeah. Good point.

I guess I thought that since Mother 3 was about losing innocence, the sequal should be about adulthood, and all it's responsibility. You have to face the fact that the world is a mess, and try to make it a bit better.

Even so, I plan on keeping the quirkiness, and a bit of the silliness. Adulthood isn't all work and no play after all, and "ruin" dosen't mean "lifeless". Indeed, quite the ecosystem has sprung up around it.