PDA

View Full Version : Epic Wizard Build

Jack Zander
2008-05-19, 06:35 PM
Alright we are gonna be playing on Friday we are lvl 20 and have 1mill gp and on epic wondrous item. I'm a monk and Kyle's probably gonna be a rouge and Derek said black gaurd. stack your charecter well cause we will probably be fighting cr 30-35. Oh and if you want to be a sweet race don't worry about lvl adjustment. for example im a pixie.

As you can see, not only are we playing at uber high levels, but the other players have no idea what's going to survive and die at these levels.

I want to build a wizard to save the party's butt, but I need help making the ultimate level 20 wizard build. 1 million gp and 1 epic wonderous item.

All books are allowed as long as someone has a copy. I believe we have copies of everything but some of the newer ones like Tomb of Battle. Just let me know what book each thing came out of.

If someone wants to fully stat out a build, that's cool, or if you guys can just give me some guidelines thats great too.

I've already seen Logic Ninja's guide, my problem is doing it.

tyckspoon
2008-05-19, 07:01 PM
Oh my. Be prepared to die, even if you are cheesed out; CR 30+ is something you shouldn't really be facing without a couple of Epic levels of your own.

First thing is to get your Int as high as possible. Free LA helps there; go through your books and pick out the creature with the highest Int modifier. You could do a lot worse than Pixie, here- being Small, flying, naturally invisible, and having a good Dex bonus will all be useful in addition to the Int bonus. Then get your standard Headband +6 and Tome +5.

Take Initiate of the Seven Veils, Incantatrix, or both. Initiate is somewhat more defensively-minded, Incantatrix can be used for both offense and defense as needed.

Liberally abuse Gate. The calling function can get a creature of up to twice your caster level to fight with you; get caster-level boosters like the Orange Ioun Stone and you can easily summon Epic creatures of HD 50 or so.

Most Epic items aren't worth the price increase; you can usually get the same or better effects by careful selection of much cheaper non-Epic items. That said, if you have an open ring space a Greater Universal Ring of Energy Resistance could be nice.

UglyPanda
2008-05-19, 08:54 PM
Two things: Your DM either has issues or is inexperienced. Level 20 isn't epic. Level 21+ is epic and the point where nothing matters anymore unless you're a Wizard due to epic spellcasting.

Half-fiend Drow to start. Give yourself some stat boosts, energy resistance, and SR because your DM doesn't care about it. It's not the best, but it'll seem like you picked it for kicks. Besides, you've got a blackguard in the party, the DM doesn't care about alignment.
Initiate of the Seven Fold Veil is good, but being invincible isn't going to help your pals out if they're not capable of holding their own. You might want to consider Incantatrix and using Maximized Time Stops when you think they're not going to survive.

Cuddly
2008-05-19, 09:09 PM
You need a Tippy wizard. At your level vs. CR 10+, no SR no save spells are what you want. Basically, metamagic'd orbs. Half-fiend drow could be pretty cool, but I recommend going half-fiend ethergaunt. They cast as wizards one or two levels higher than their hitdice. The problems with going that route is loss of PrC levels due to racial hitdice, though racial outsider HD aren't bad. Full BAB, all good saves, and 8 skill points/level. The other problem is not getting racial feats (that I know of, anyway) to retrain for metamagic feats/ metamagic reducing feats.

Going against monsters 10 CR higher will leave a TLN type wizard with the short end of the stick, since epic SR is nigh-uncrackable without epic level stuff.

There's a feat in LoM that gives any creature with telepathy (which ethergaunts have) the ability to detect any creature within range and that has an int score. Called mindsight. The typical way to pick up mindsight is dipping mindbender 1.

Jack Zander
2008-05-19, 11:14 PM
Two things: Your DM either has issues or is inexperienced. Level 20 isn't epic. Level 21+ is epic and the point where nothing matters anymore unless you're a Wizard due to epic spellcasting.

We're starting at level 20. I'd call that an Epic campaign unless we all die before 210,000 experience.

Which book is ethergaunt in?

Where is Tippy so he can guide my Wizard into the realms of cheese?

Cuddly
2008-05-19, 11:20 PM
Ethergaunt is from MM2 or 3, or 4. Check Wizard's site for a monster list and their books.

Just PM Tippy or CoV for one of their wizard builds. They're based around using arcane thesis and metamagic with +0 adjustments to net -1 adjustment so they can cast spells that are effectively level one million. Good luck getting it around your DM, though.