PDA

View Full Version : Rumors from Bexley [Strange Writing Project]

GryffonDurime
2008-05-19, 10:25 PM
So, the aim is simple: I want to write. Every. Single. Day. To try and shame myself into keeping up with this, I'm going to post every day. Some of it may not be good. Some of it may be long, some short. I just hope that having something visible will help motivate me not to quit.

Without further ado, I present Rumors from Bexley:

Leaf I: Train, Trunk, and Candle

Simon Bromley had just arrived in Bexley, and as he stepped off the train he could already smell the pervasive smell of a city by the seaside: salt-laced wind and vague illness. It was hotter in Bexley than it had been in Figg, Simon’s home, and it felt more like summer. Simon attributed that in large part to the seagulls begging noisily at his feet.

Bexley was a big city, but not too big—that was why Simon had chosen it.
He’d never left Figg before, and he hadn’t really wanted to, but Figg lacked many things, a respectable college foremost among them. Yes, Figg had a fine old chapel and the world’s largest tea kettle (if one measured the spout; there was contention on that point) and a fine bowling alley, but the University of Bexley was famous.

Famous for being a place where half of this new total practiced flunking for five to seven years until they’d perfected it while the other half would ritually flagellate themselves for anything less than perfection. Simon hoped for a place between these two extremes, but failing that he sided more with the Cult of Academia. His mother had packed a ceremonial flail, just in case.

The train had taken three days to reach Bexley, traveling through no less than two different mountains. They’d passed by three lakes, a forest, and a canyon. The first day had gone well enough, but by the second the sheer scope of the distance he’d traveled galled Simon and he ended up spending the rest of the afternoon in the dining cart breathing into a paper bag.

But now he was here, and as strange as Bexley seemed to him, Simon was sure that he seemed stranger to Bexley. Both his hearts were racing, twinned thrub-dubs, thrub-dubs. One heart beat, the first of each, was natural, normal human. The second was strange, like a deep bassoon of a frog pretending it was a heart.

Simon sent the gulls flying with a swift little kick, collected his trunk, and then left.

Bexley was a maze, if a bad maze at that: there were too many exits and not enough dead ends. At the off-center of the city—the center itself being occupied by an old municipal park bought up by a local eccentric during a financial crunch—there was a very hodgepodge sort of open-air market. Old women sitting under beach umbrellas or dusty blue tarps let Simon pass unmolested; he didn’t seem the type to have money anyway.

Simon was, in fact, unremarkably medium in most respects: height, weight, bearing. He had to constantly fuss with his hair to keep it from standing on ends, and his fingers kind of blossomed at the ends just a little, the ends were slightly puffed and flared out.

As Simon adjusted his thick-framed glasses, he passed an old man’s stall where watermelons were sold. He couldn’t help but think that watermelons everywhere were sold solely by old men who looked like their fingers would break under the weight of just one.

An Indian woman who smelled pink and floral beckoned Simon over with a respectful gesture like a soft prayer, and he spent fifteen minutes haggling with her about the price of a jarred candle. They settled on three notes and a handful of little, curled yellow coins called peels.
Simon’s new candle was violently, newborn bamboo green and smelled like apples and mint sprigs. As he packed it in his trunk, he asked for her name.

“Anita,” she said, and Simon noticed that she didn’t have an accent.

“Simon,” he replied, offering her his hand. She shook it grudgingly and rolled her eyes.

“Why are you here?” she asked, bluntly but not impolitely.

“To buy a candle, I suppose.”

“I meant in Bexley,” she said, and rolled again.

“And I said to buy a candle,” he said, blushing a little. “Isn’t that good enough reason if that candle is quality?”

“Oh, you’re a dangerous one, you charmer. University, then?”

He nodded, and she clucked her tongue.

“They don’t allow candles in their halls, I’m afraid.”

“And I suppose all sales are final?” he asked.

She smiled, and it was a beautiful smile: wide and just crooked enough to look natural.

“Well, then, I suppose I’d have to start flouting the rules sooner or later,”
Simon said, and she cocked her head to the side and shot up an eyebrow.

“Musn’t let the safety of the city get to me.”

“No,” she said, “you wouldn’t want that.”

GryffonDurime
2008-05-19, 10:27 PM
Leaf II: Into the Pond

What struck Simon most about Bexley, though, other then its many pretty candle-peddlers and the sheer size of it, was the simple fact that it was not flat. Figg had been a gentle, sloping plain of a town, only slightly paved over. Bexley went up and down and back again, over and over, and he had as much trouble pulling his trunk up the hills as he did keeping it from pulling him down them.

It would be, perhaps, easy to imagine: thin-bodied Simon rocketing down some steep, murderous drop just a few steps behind a heavy, old, wheeled trunk, sending pedestrians flying one way or another.

As that is easy, we need only know that upon reaching the Pond, Simon swore never speak of that afternoon again.

The Pond was a cul-de-sac paved with blue asphalt and lined with tall gray buildings that did a decent job of pretending to be Roman, all columns and pillars and raingutters cut like aqueducts. These were the University’s dignified old houses, each one fine and historic and somber, except one.

Salmon Hall was, ostensibly, named for some old alumni or another who was unfortunate enough to be named after a fish, but the architect had taken the name to extremes. Its pillars were shaped like spiraling trout, and it alone of all the halls was painted a hideous, vulgar pink. Simon thought it looked like a dying flower, past even its dying prime.

It wasn’t much better inside: the walls were the colors of whorish lipstick, and the carpets were all beige shag. Everywhere you looked, there were fish: on vases, as statues, on wallpaper. There was even a tapestry hanging in the lobby, a great circular mandala that depicted, in unnerving yet abstracted detail, the lifecycle of salmon.

Check-in was handled by a shirtless man in corduroy pants and a seagreen bathrobe. He introduced himself as Nicholas.

“Looking forward to it all?” he asked as he fiddled around in a box full of keys. They were all old-fashioned and brass, and Nicholas finally plucked one out that was labeled 5-G in barely legible script.

“I am,” Simon replied. “A little nervous, even. Never been away from home and all that that entails.”

Nicholas looked up from his papers and gave Simon a good look-over, his face placid and inscrutable.

“You’ll be fine. Everyone is nervous at first. Bexley is not the easiest to adjust to if you’ve never seen a city before, but it will all work itself out, like a knotted snake,” Nicholas said, and he did have an accent, unlike the candlewoman. Slavic, perhaps, Simon thought to himself. “Where exactly did you come from, then?”

“A little town called Figg, a couple days away by train so.”

“I know Figg,” Nicholas replied. “My first roommate came from there.”

“Really?” Simon asked as he took the key Nicholas offered.

“Yep. Perhaps you know him? Alexander Zwein?”

Simon thought for a moment, then shook his head.

“Pity. I will introduce you sometime. When you are so far away, even a native stranger can be a helpful reminder of where you’ve come from,” he said with authority.

“Thanks,” Simon said as he turned to leave. Nicholas caught him by the coat and walked with him down the entryhall.

“There are three rules if you’re intending to stay in this hall, and I feel it best if you didn’t have to puzzle them out on your own.”

“Alright?” Simon asked, then immediately realized how stupid it sounded to ask a statement.

“The first is that freshmen can’t smoke in the stairwell.”

“I don’t smoke,” Simon shot back, instantly.

Nicholas shrugged. “Just relaying it all. The second is that you bury your own dead.”

Simon raised an eyebrow at this one, but it did make him feel better about his illicit candle.

“What’s the last rule, then?” Simon asked with a light laugh, hoping this all was a joke.

“Don’t be an idiot.”

“That’s it?” he asked.

“That’s it,” Nicholas replied, and left him with a pat on the shoulder.

Nicholas looked down at his key again, 5-G, and realized that he had five flights of stairs to drag his trunk up.