PDA

View Full Version : Factotem help

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-20, 12:46 AM
Are there any small races, besides Strongheart Halfling, which get either a bonus feat or a positive Int mod without a LA? I'm creating a Factotum, and either of those would be beneficial. Also, are there any feats out there that are worth losing a Font? It seems like you have to take FoI about 4 times to make it viable, at which point another FoI is more valuable than anything.

Cuddly
2008-05-20, 12:56 AM
Golden halfling from Kalamdor (Kalimdar?) campaign setting has -2 str, +2 int and +2 cha.

Eldariel
2008-05-20, 12:59 AM
Venerable Dragonwrought (Desert) Kobold. That costs you a feat though, but that's a +3 Int right off the bat (-4 Str, +3 Int, +1 Wis, +3 Cha for the Desert Kobold). Hell, technically you count as a Dragon now, so take the Spellhoarding Template for another +2 Int (and -4 Wis) with first level in some caster class and you're good to go.

I'd just go with Strongheart Halfling; 18 Int is plenty to start with and that extra Font you get to pick up the first level is invaluable, not to mention the whole class is friggin' awesome. Now, which feats are worth what depends on your build specifics, but generally Font > everything else for most Factotum-builds, especially for the singleclassed ones; just take as many as you can. Early on, you'll want the Inspiration to shine in combat and later on to do crazy things.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-05-20, 01:40 AM
Venerable Dragonwrought (Desert) Kobold. That costs you a feat though, but that's a +3 Int right off the bat (-4 Str, +3 Int, +1 Wis, +3 Cha for the Desert Kobold). Hell, technically you count as a Dragon now, so take the Spellhoarding Template for another +2 Int (and -4 Wis) with first level in some caster class and you're good to go.

I think Draconomicon states that a dragon of at least Old age can take Epic Feats. Of course, you'll have to meet all the prerequisites though.

Nebo_
2008-05-20, 01:41 AM
Factotum. With a U.

Eldariel
2008-05-20, 01:59 AM
I think Draconomicon states that a dragon of at least Old age can take Epic Feats. Of course, you'll have to meet all the prerequisites though.

Yes. Use at your own discretion though.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-20, 02:13 AM
Sadly, I just finished one Halfling and am not really in the mood for another one. (RIP[Note to DMs, if I believe the last friend of mine who was captured got sacrificed, I'm not liable to surrender, no matter the odds]) So I may have to be human. Unless there's a Kobold variant who gets an int mod without -6 to the physicals. (Epic feats at 3rd level, though badass, may be a bit OP).

Eldariel
2008-05-20, 02:16 AM
The said Desert Kobold works out. It's -4 Str, -2 Wis (and you get +3 from Venerable), so it stats out at -4 Str, +2 Dex, +3 Int (!!), +1 Wis, +3 Cha for a Dragonwrought Venerable one.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-20, 02:20 AM
The said Desert Kobold works out. It's -4 Str, -2 Wis (and you get +3 from Venerable), so it stats out at -4 Str, +2 Dex, +3 Int (!!), +1 Wis, +3 Cha for a Dragonwrought Venerable one.Wait, what?:smallconfused: How does Dragonwrought work that? Is it one of the side effects of changing your type to dragon? If so, how is that feat balanced, like, at all? :smalleek:

Eldariel
2008-05-20, 02:23 AM
Wait, what?:smallconfused: How does Dragonwrought work that? Is it one of the side effects of changing your type to dragon? If so, how is that feat balanced, like, at all? :smalleek:

The feat specifically states Dragonwrought Kobolds don't suffer aging penalties. Therefore, you can be Venerable and thus awesome. Of course, this doesn't remove the fact that you're still playing a Kobold, but at least this particular Kobold will be less unimpressive than most of his cousins. Essentially, Dragonwrought allows you to trade a feat for +3 in all mental stats; one of the few things keeping Kobolds comparable without extreme cheese.