PDA

View Full Version : MY Spiked Chain goes ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL The Way Accross the Room!

Jimp
2008-05-20, 07:20 AM
I don't think I've ever seen any super optimised reach build before.
Therefore, let's optimise reach!
I'm not great at this kind of thing but my initial thought is someone with the spell Giant Size with an appropriately sized spiked chain.

Armads
2008-05-20, 07:26 AM
Lycanthrope (anything with bite attack) Human (any humanoid, actually) with Warshaper 3 + Aberrant Blood + Inhuman Reach + Mouthpick Shadowstriking (the MiC one) Kusari-Gama (spiked chain works too, but Mouthpick Kusari-Gamas are even more unimaginable) + Giant Size = quite a lot of reach (not sure how much reach colossal gives, but it's (colossal +15)x2ft reach when shadowstriking is activated. (colossal +10)x2ft otherwise)

Keld Denar
2008-05-20, 07:40 AM
Actually, someone has optimized reach. Between Unnatural Reach and Willing Deformity: Tall and a few other things in Heros of Horror and Lords of Madness and some other shananagans, its possibly to get like 100' reach.

It is worth noting that multiple magical size increases don't stack. You can't Enlarge Person or Polymorph into something large, then giant size or expansion to up from there. FAQ says so.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-20, 07:54 AM
While I'm sure the CharOp board can do better, the Whippomancer in my sig has quite a ludicrous reach through comboing several increasing factors.

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-20, 08:21 AM
I've seen a build that gets attacks of opportunity on any movement (including 5ft steps) within about 50ft. It involves Psychic Warrior for Expansion, Psychic Weaponmaster for extra AoOs, and some Crusader (Thicket of Blades).

Jastermereel
2008-05-20, 09:45 AM
For a reach-oriented build, would it be too feat-expensive to acquire Whirlwind Attack? Or would the potential loss of feats be worth it to actually hit everyone in the room at once?

Kurald Galain
2008-05-20, 09:50 AM
For a reach-oriented build, would it be too feat-expensive to acquire Whirlwind Attack? Or would the potential loss of feats be worth it to actually hit everyone in the room at once?

It would probably be cheaper to buy a few Whipdaggers of Whirling instead. Same thing, but paid in a bit of gold rather than a bunch of poor feats.

* ( a few because they each work 3 times per day)

Draz74
2008-05-20, 01:14 PM
Lycanthrope (anything with bite attack) Human (any humanoid, actually) with Warshaper 3 + Aberrant Blood + Inhuman Reach + Mouthpick Shadowstriking (the MiC one) Kusari-Gama (spiked chain works too, but Mouthpick Kusari-Gamas are even more unimaginable) + Giant Size = quite a lot of reach (not sure how much reach colossal gives, but it's (colossal +15)x2ft reach when shadowstriking is activated. (colossal +10)x2ft otherwise)

Don't forget the Dancing Blade Form stance from the Iron Heart discipline. Though it doesn't work on AoOs.

Bayar
2008-05-20, 01:50 PM
Would an Orc with Inhuman reach is allowed to take Extended reach ? Since the wording on Extended reach is ambiguos.

Quietus
2008-05-20, 02:02 PM
Amusingly, wouldn't it be possible to simply buy a 250' length of chain, and take levels in Drunken Master? After all, it does say that longer improvised weapons have reach according to their length, or something to that effect.

Arbitrarity
2008-05-20, 02:43 PM
Actually, the answer is Pun-Pun :smallbiggrin:

For limitless reach, one needs the Magic of Incarnum supplement. The Umbral Disciple prestige class is found on page 158. Its 10th level ability is called Kiss of the Shadows. This is a supernatural ability that you can invest essentia into. For each point of essentia you invest, your reach increases by 5 ft. The only limit is your essentia capacity. However, essentia capacity is based on your HD, and Pun-Pun's HD is limitless thanks to Energy Charge.

Normally, the ability lasts only on your turn. But since it is a supernatural ability, it can be made permanent with the Alter Reality salient divine ability. Note that if Pun-Pun does not have sufficient reach to threaten someone, he can just immediately dump more essentia into it. And with a truly infinite Spot check (thanks to the Omniscificer trick) he can see anyone at any distance and whether or not he can reach them.

Other than that.. I'll think about it.