PDA

View Full Version : Marshal Diplomancy- can anything beat it?

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-20, 09:13 AM
It looks to me like the Maarshal is the ultimate Diplomancer class. With SF: Diplo at 1st level and all the Diplomancy skills as class skills (and 4/level skill points) it looks good enough.

Then you add Motivate Charisma as your 1st-level Aura. Add your Charisma to Diplomacy checks twice.

A half-elf Marshal 1 with 16 Cha can have +17 Diplomacy at 1st level (4 ranks, +3 SF, +2 half-elf, +2 that other feat I can't remember the name of, +3 Cha, +3 Aura), shooting up to a mighty +24 at 2nd level.

Can anything else get that high that fast?

Mr. Friendly
2008-05-20, 09:24 AM
It looks to me like the Maarshal is the ultimate Diplomancer class. With SF: Diplo at 1st level and all the Diplomancy skills as class skills (and 4/level skill points) it looks good enough.

Then you add Motivate Charisma as your 1st-level Aura. Add your Charisma to Diplomacy checks twice.

A half-elf Marshal 1 with 16 Cha can have +17 Diplomacy at 1st level (4 ranks, +3 SF, +2 half-elf, +2 that other feat I can't remember the name of, +3 Cha, +3 Aura), shooting up to a mighty +24 at 2nd level.

Not really. Most Diplomancer builds start off with a level of Marshal. 1 Marshal, 1 Warlock the rest bard get you obscene numbers very fast.

Vortling
2008-05-20, 09:27 AM

Nope, but if you want to get ridiculous there's certain tricks you can do with exemplar levels.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-20, 09:28 AM
A Big Stick + Earplugs > Diplomancy. :smalltongue:

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-20, 09:48 AM
Ah, Marshal 1/ Warlock 1, with that one that gives +6 to Diplomacy? I can see why that'd be a problem for everyone. A level 2 character with +30 Diplomacy...

Draz74
2008-05-20, 01:00 PM
Marshal 1 / Warlock (or DFA) 1 / Binder 1 / etc., anyone?

(Bind Naberius ... great boost to Diplomancy.)

I remember some other classes being good to dip, too, but I can't think what at the moment (except Exemplar of course).

Factotum, of course, gives you a huge boost to Diplomacy, but only 1/day.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-20, 01:04 PM
A challenge!

The highest pre-epic DC is 60... taking someone from Hostile to Helpful in a rushed (single round) of diplomacy.

What is the earliest this DC can be reached?

... go

Mr. Friendly
2008-05-20, 01:04 PM
I think the really good Diplomancer build on Wizards is like Marshal 1, Warlock 1, Binder X, Bard Y, centered around Exalted feats like Vow of Peace and Nonviolence.

Vortling
2008-05-20, 01:07 PM
A challenge!

The highest pre-epic DC is 60... taking someone from Hostile to Helpful in a rushed (single round) of diplomacy.

... go

What sort of books and cheese are allowed for this challenge?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-20, 01:08 PM
Actually, the most powerful diplomancer is not a marshal at all.

It's a druid exemplar Jumper.

Don Beegles
2008-05-20, 01:08 PM
I think the only thing that can take the marshal diplomacy build is a DM who's not stupid enough to play by the stupid rules from the PHB. A single roll to decide a person's attitude regardless of circumstances is just silly. The best way to go about it is by Rich's rules, so noone can abuse it so much, because there are some pretty crazy things you can do even without the marshal. 18 Cha, Skill Focus, Points in Bluff, Knowledge(Nobility), and Sense Motive gets a 1st Level Half-Elf Bard a 19, with no particularly funny tricks. That can make a creature who "doesn't much care or you" "willing to take risks for you" slightly less than half the time

Diplomacy is silly.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-20, 01:09 PM
What sort of books and cheese are allowed for this challenge?

Anything 3.5 currently published by WotC (no homebrew, no 3rd party)

Mr. Friendly
2008-05-20, 01:10 PM
A challenge!

... go

Not counting WBL - 2nd level.

Using the above Marshal1/Warlock1 with a 30 Diplomacy, give him an item of +30 Diplomacy.

With a 30 Diplomacy, he can no doubt talk a few "donors" into loaning him the 90k he needs to buy it.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-20, 01:12 PM
Actually, the most powerful diplomancer is not a marshal at all.

It's a druid exemplar Jumper.

I though the 9 mile high Jumplomancer was an RKV?

SamTheCleric
2008-05-20, 01:12 PM
Yes, you must abide by the WBL rules for the challenge :)

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-20, 01:14 PM
I though the 9 mile high Jumplomancer was an RKV?

No, the original diplomancer suffices.

valadil
2008-05-20, 01:19 PM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone here every gotten to play, seen someone else play, or even heard of someone else who may have at some point in the distant past, perhaps even in a past life played a diplomancer? Or is it just something that exists in the CO boards and as proof of concept that D&D is broken out of the box?

SamTheCleric
2008-05-20, 01:36 PM
I'm going to move my diplomacy challenge to its own thread. I want to get as many different ideas as possible.

FMArthur
2008-05-20, 01:47 PM
That's the sort of thing that the DM just calmly says "get out" to. You know you crossed the line, and there's just no excuse; you're going to ruin the game if you continue to play.

Chronos
2008-05-20, 02:47 PM
The best way to go about it is by Rich's rules, so noone can abuse it so much, because there are some pretty crazy things you can do even without the marshal.Rich's rules have their problems, too: Under his rules, a couple of 20th-level characters who neither one have ranks in Diplomacy can never buy, sell, or trade anything between them, because neither one will ever succeed on the check to get a 20th-level character to agree to a fair deal.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone here every gotten to play, seen someone else play, or even heard of someone else who may have at some point in the distant past, perhaps even in a past life played a diplomancer?The problem is that there's no clear line between "diplomancer" and "party face". Many people have created bards with the intention of being "a nice guy that people get along with easily", and then at some point realized that they could do absolutely anything to anyone, without even trying.