PDA

View Full Version : Some Gestalt ideas

alchemyprime
2008-05-20, 01:53 PM
Okay, so I want to start an all Gestalt campaign, but with a twist: each class has a few gestalts related to it. That way we don't get the guy who is a wizard with a d12 HD and can use a bajillion martial manuevers.

Really, I just want gestalts that make sense.

Like a Barbarian/Fighter. Or a Binder/Warlock. Or a Sorcerer/Dragon Shaman.

SO I would like some help. Any class made by WotC is up for grabs, including Dragon Compendium. No prestige classes. Any good combos with some good bacjground fluff as to how that class exists would be appreciated.

Who knows? This may become an AP Contest (though the last one died...)

Thanks in advance!

Aleron
2008-05-20, 03:09 PM
As far as combo's that make since...

Ranger/Scout - Duh, already have feats that tie the classes togeather(Swift Hunter)

Warlock/Shadow Caster

Favored Soul/Monk

Cleric/Monk

Glawackus
2008-05-20, 03:38 PM
Favored Soul/<appropriate class by deity> (ex. Olidammara: Favored Soul/Rogue)

Cleric/<appropriate class by deity> (see above)

Druid/Scout

Wizard/Archivist (Maybe not, as I don't know a ton about the Archivist)

Ninja/Monk

TKDfirefly
2008-05-20, 04:53 PM
Sorceror/Dragonfire Adept

Hexblade/Duskblade

Samari/Paladin

Bard/Beguiler

Swashbuckler/Rogue

Druid/Ranger

Warmage/Scout

Justyn
2008-05-20, 05:32 PM
Cloistered cleric/Wizard: very specialized in spellcasting; deities like Wee Jas and Boccob, or, heck, any deity with the magic domain in a world with gestalts would definately have these.

Fighter/Swordsage: Do I... Do I really need to explain this one?

Xuincherguixe
2008-05-20, 05:35 PM
Monk/Psychic Warrior

Would cover the Monk's weaknesses fairly well, I would think.

Stycotl
2008-05-20, 06:12 PM
sounds cool, but with enough *quality* fluff, anything can work, even a martial-maneuvering wizard. hence, the jade phoenix mage.

Zeta Kai
2008-05-20, 06:34 PM
In no particular order:

Psion/Divine Mind
Cleric/Divine Mind
Cleric/Favored Soul
Paladin/Favored Soul
Monk/Ardent
Monk/Psion
Sorcerer/Psion
Druid/Wilder
Sorcerer/Wilder
Fighter/Marshal
Ninja/Rogue
Ninja/Scout
Bard/Rogue
Bard/Scout
Scout/Lurk
Rogue/Lurk
Ranger/Lurk
Spellthief/Lurk
Warlock/Sorcerer
Rogue/Spellthief
Ninja/Spellthief
Bard/Beguiler
Sorcerer/Beguiler
Wizard/Warmage
Warlock/Sorcerer
Monk/Wu Jen
Warlock/Warmage
Monk/Shugenja
Monk/Soulknife
Ranger/Soulknife
Rogue/Soulknife
Shugenja/Wu Jen
Spirit Shaman/Druid
Spirit Shaman/Barbarian
Barbarian/Psychic Warrior
Fighter/Psychic Warrior
Fighter/Hexblade
Warlock/Hexblade
Monk/Samurai
Paladin/Samurai
Psychic Warrior/Samurai
Rogue/Swashbuckler
Bard/Swashbuckler
Ranger/Swashbuckler
Ninja/Swashbuckler
Scout/Swashbuckler
Archivist/Sorcerer
Dread Necromancer/Sorcerer
Dread Necromancer/Warlock
Dread Necromancer/Hexblade
Crusader/Paladin
Crusader/Fighter
Crusader/Marshal
Crusader/Cleric
Swordsage/Hexblade
Swordsage/Ranger
Warblade/Rogue
Warblade/Swashbuckler
Oh, and Factotum/EVERY OTHER CLASS.

Flickerdart
2008-05-20, 06:47 PM
Monk/Psychic Warrior

Would cover the Monk's weaknesses fairly well, I would think.
Yeah, don't PWs get Fangs, Claws and Teeth of ________? All very useful for a Monk.

Bitzeralisis
2008-05-20, 07:13 PM
In no particular order:

[ Insert big list here ]

Oh, and Factotum/EVERY OTHER CLASS.

That's extensive.

Xuincherguixe
2008-05-20, 07:36 PM
Yeah, don't PWs get Fangs, Claws and Teeth of ________? All very useful for a Monk.

Not just that, but they can increase their size (Expansion) and full attack on a charge (Psionic Lions Charge). Monk bonus speed finally has a purpose!

There's a few powers that give you some bonus damage to your attacks too.

Psychic Warrior has great synergy with all the martial classes.

Zeta Kai
2008-05-21, 01:02 PM
It's a shame that monster classes couldn't work. Because if they did, then there's another fleet of possibilities in Savage Species.

alchemyprime
2008-05-21, 02:13 PM
I was originally going to allow monster classes, but the way my campaign world is set up, only Thri-Kreen and those Dragon classes from Dragon would work flavorwise (unless we get 7000 Drizzts from all monster races... not that I don't like Drizzt, but I prefer 1 or 2).

I like that big long list. Maybe I should list my players' favorite classes to give you ideas of what I'm looking for:

Warlock
Paladin
Druid
Monk
Swashbuckler
Wizard
Wu Jen
Psion
Incarnate
Warblade
Swordsage
Binder

I was thinking Monk/Swordsage and Monk/PsyWar for obvious reasons. And of course Warlock/Binder, Warlock/Shadowcaster and Binder/Shadowcaster.

Keep them coming. I have an entire file I'm filling with enough variant rules to make my Campaign Setting (Codename: Altieret) into it's own rules system, a la Mutants & Masterminds. Including, but not limited to, Action Points, Weapon Groups, BAB to HD relations, and Racial + Double Starting HP.

Thanks for the ideas. Again, more is good for me.

Duke of URL
2008-05-21, 02:17 PM
Honestly? Meh. It seems like a lot more work than is necessary.

Simply impose a rule that the players have to run the gestalt concept past you first, and you have the right to reject anything that doesn't make sense.

Sir Conkey
2008-05-21, 10:27 PM
Call me uneducated in my D&D, although I'm pretty sure I would still debate you, but what exactly is a binder? Or at least what book is he from, it intrigues me

alchemyprime
2008-05-22, 12:43 AM
The binder was the reason most people bought Tome of Magic, and the reason everyone kept it. (i bought it for the truenamer...) He binds to his soul creatures (more of spirits) as far from existence as possible called vestiges. The spirit gets to "exist" again and the binder gets some cool powers.

Some old D&d Icons are official vestiges, like Acerak, Geryon and Tenebrous. I have, from Gleemax, a pretty good sized list of homebrew vestiges including my own (Megatron & They Might Be Giants) as well as some fan favorites like the Cybercontroller, the Daleks, Cthulhu and Banjo the Clown.

Flickerdart
2008-05-22, 03:54 PM
The binder was the reason most people bought Tome of Magic, and the reason everyone kept it. (i bought it for the truenamer...) He binds to his soul creatures (more of spirits) as far from existence as possible called vestiges. The spirit gets to "exist" again and the binder gets some cool powers.

Some old D&d Icons are official vestiges, like Acerak, Geryon and Tenebrous. I have, from Gleemax, a pretty good sized list of homebrew vestiges including my own (Megatron & They Might Be Giants) as well as some fan favorites like the Cybercontroller, the Daleks, Cthulhu and Banjo the Clown.
If everyone bought Tome of Magic for the Binder, they'd keep it for being able to take on the powers of Banjo the Clown.

alchemyprime
2008-05-22, 05:21 PM
If I remember correctly, one of his abilities was to do 1 point of electricity damage, no save, with a range of 100 feet. I modded it to be 1/2 binder level. Sounds better that way.

Draken
2008-05-22, 07:19 PM
Honestly? Meh. It seems like a lot more work than is necessary.

Simply impose a rule that the players have to run the gestalt concept past you first, and you have the right to reject anything that doesn't make sense.

Duke of URL gave a good suggestion.

But really, if you think the subject just a bit, any combination makes sense, even Barbarian/Bard, Rogue/Paladin (Gray Guard anyone?), heck, the only combinations that wouldn't work are th eones that are alignment restricted. And even those *might* work, the issue is that one will probably not be advanceable anymore.

Zeta Kai
2008-05-23, 10:33 PM
I was originally going to allow monster classes, but...

Well, I'm glad that you decided not to, because I don't think it is legally possible. According to Savage Species, page 27, monsters cannot multi-class until they finish their monster class. Now, gestalt is not the same as multi-classing, but it is described as being similar, & has some similar restrictions, so as a DM, I'd have to put some serious thought into allowing it or not. It may be a question for the Sage, really.