PDA

View Full Version : Yet another computer problem

Groundhog
2008-05-20, 03:36 PM
I feel really strange asking about this, since I often offer my own computer expertise when others are having problems, but this one's got me stumped:
I live in a dorm with three communal computers in it. Two of them have a tendency to shut down while you're using them. No warning, no "shutting down" message. Just *beeeyooooop*--screen goes black, and that's it. If you try to turn them back on immediately, they'll switch off before anything even shows up on the screen. If you wait five minutes and then turn them back on then they work. One of them turns off very regularly, and the shutdowns seem to be triggered by the use of Youtube or anything that requires a flash player, as well as excessive scrolling. The other doesn't turn off as often, but there doesn't appear to be anything that triggers a shutdown for that one, except maybe having too many windows open at once. I've run virus scans, nothing came up, although the first computer can't last long enough without shutting down to complete a scan.
Any ideas?

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2008-05-20, 05:41 PM
Sounds like you're using a new version of Micro$oft windows on an old computer. The cpu and memory can't handle the load.

SMEE
2008-05-20, 06:24 PM
Overheating or a weak/faulty power supply.

Flickerdart
2008-05-20, 06:24 PM
This may also be a cooling problem. Check your fans and heatsinks. Also, a fresh install is sometimes the only option.