PDA

View Full Version : Decisions Decisions

BRC
2008-05-20, 04:10 PM
So, The end of the school year is coming up (Hurrah!) and I always start my summer with a new PC game. The problem is that I can't decide which game to get. I'm considering

On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness: Part 1

Mass Effect

Dawn of War: Soulstorm

Or maybe somthing else, I dunno.

Either way, any advice?
Also, due to the fact that my laptop's CD drive is broken/it's easier, I'm considering using Steam to get whichever game I get. Anything I should know about Steam?

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2008-05-20, 04:39 PM
Whenever Mass Effect is on a list like this, it's the answer.

BRC
2008-05-21, 06:58 AM
Okay...Anybody else?

lumberofdabeast
2008-05-21, 07:16 AM
Don't get Soulstorm, it was rushed and it shows.

Out of the other two... I can't really offer an opinion, as I have played neither.

Blayze
2008-05-21, 07:48 AM
Allow me to educate you regarding Soulstorm. (http://www.3scapism.net/2008/04/dawn-of-war-soulstorm.html)

I've been following the Mass Effect DRM issue recently, and it looks as if it comes with a *free* SecuROM copy protection rootkit. Screw that.

Take the other option, whatever it is.

Edit: To clarify, Soulstorm is of mod quality. Average mod quality.

black dragoon
2008-05-21, 08:14 AM
MAss effect has a wonderful story and I'll suggest based on that. That and I have'nt played or heard of the other two.

Jokes
2008-05-21, 10:04 AM
Penny Arcade is digital download from PlayGreenhouse (http://www.playgreenhouse.com/). Released just this morning. It won't set you back much, probably won't take a summer to play, so may as well pick it up as well as Mass Effect, which should last you a while.

I am currently downloading PA, so I will let you know if it's worth it in a few hours :P

Dhavaer
2008-05-21, 03:01 PM
Mass Effect, due to high levels of win.

poleboy
2008-05-22, 02:03 AM
If you like Bioware RPG's, I'd probably go with Mass Effect. The PA game looks awesome but it's episodic and thus probably over in a day or two.
Soulstorm? Eh. I think the series is pretty cool, but everyone's saying it was rushed and not properly balanced.

Blayze
2008-05-22, 03:36 AM
everyone's saying it was rushed and not properly balanced.

Indeed. And that's saying nothing of the *bugs*. To name a few...

1) The Sisters of Battle can abuse the Holy Icon Listening Post upgrade (Start production and cancel ASAP repeatedly) to obtain infinite Power. Possibly Req too, I can't remember.
2) If an Eldar player uses a Harlequin's Dance ability, it resets their Req and Power to *zero*.
3) Necron players can abuse the Deciever's Illusionary Monolith ability in conjunction with a unit of Flayed Ones (Put them in before it fades away, if I remember...) to cause it to *deal damage like a normal Monolith*. They can do this repeatedly. I have seen testimonials reporting seven or eight of the damn things at once.

When SoB players are kicked on sight from online games for fear of cheating, you know something's wrong. I know that at least two of these bugs were fixed with *mods* shortly after their discovery. Relic are dragging their feet on the issue of a patch however (It can hardly be called a hotfix at this stage), which is annoying much of the community.