PDA

View Full Version : relieving the pressure

gnomas
2008-05-20, 04:45 PM
ever had an idea for a character that you though would be really cool, but didnt do because it wouldn't be optimized enough? post them here!

for instance, i think a centaur wizard/druid/geomancer would be cool
or an evoker...

we're here to listen!

Kyeudo
2008-05-20, 05:38 PM
I can't say there's any concept that I have ever wanted to play that I couldn't optimize enough to match a rogue in usefulness, if not a wizard. Concepts are easy to work with. It's classes that are hard.

Evokers aren't that unoptimized so long as they don't ban two of the better schools, like Conjuration and Transmutation.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-20, 05:54 PM
A monk... :P

Frosty
2008-05-20, 06:04 PM
I had the opposite problem. I thought of something, but discarded it due to too much Gouda.

Half-Red Dragon Lolth-touched Feral Mineral Warrior of Half-Ogre-ness or Centaur-ness whose main tactic revolves around anything involving strength checks like DungeonCrasher or Tripping or Grappling.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-20, 06:05 PM
I keep wanting to make a Monk/Tattooed Monk/Drunken Master... but every time I do... I sigh and go "nope, wont work"

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-20, 06:05 PM
I had the opposite problem. I thought of something, but discarded it due to too much Gouda.

Half-Red Dragon Lolth-touched Feral Mineral Warrior of Half-Ogre-ness or Centaur-ness whose main tactic revolves around anything involving strength checks like DungeonCrasher or Tripping or Grappling.

...You realize Half dragon + so much LA = Cheese = does not compute?

Frosty
2008-05-20, 06:09 PM
Well, maybe take away the Half-dragon part. Still a LOT of strength especially if going with the =1 Half Ogre instead of Centaur.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-20, 06:13 PM
And so puny HP a housecat sneezes at you and you die. The build is crap because one hit from anything kills you.

Frosty
2008-05-20, 06:17 PM
I'm sure the build has a lot of Con as well. High Con bonuses mean an *ok* amount of HP. I'm sure somewhere I saw a half red-dragon troll build with like 50-something strength, gets healed by fire, and takes subdual damage from everything except acid. Probably has very little actual class levels though.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-20, 06:19 PM
And one use of trollbane later, the ubercharger brings that troll down. Trust me, it doesn't work without many class levels.

Frosty
2008-05-20, 06:22 PM
Well sure most builds have a weakness. Trollbane + Uber charger isn't exactly something the GM will throw at you every day. Besides, you've got reach. And maybe a spiked chain. And uber strength. Why are you letting the charger reach you in the first place? Trip his ass or do Stand Still.

ocato
2008-05-20, 06:23 PM
I had an idea for a spiked chain trip-o-matic who used the Avenging Executioner PrC + the Kiai Shout feat and your standard AoO feats to force enemies to constantly move out of threat via fear but I couldn't quite get the idea to solidify without it relying on pretty high all-around stats and a lot of sources of feats (flaws and whatnot) but I never got a chance to play it. Also, I'm fairly confident that the build was way too pidgeon-holed for much regular play, even though I threw Power Attack/Leap Attack in for reliable damage. Maybe I'll come back to it.

Da King
2008-05-20, 08:25 PM
A Pirateninja. My DM tried to kill me when I read CAdv, and realized that there was a Pirate Class (well, prestige class)and Ninja class in the same book.

TheCountAlucard
2008-05-20, 08:44 PM
One not-very-optimized NPC I once made was an Aristocrat/Fighter/Blackguard. Yeppers. I also once had a Fighter 3/Rogue 3/Ranger 3. Yeah, yeah, I know, "The third level of fighter is useless."

Edea
2008-05-20, 08:47 PM
I really wanted to play a Truenamer at one point...and a Shadowcaster. ;_;

ahammer
2008-05-20, 08:54 PM
a char that never saw the light of day from a frend

a troll with the amulate of natul weapon with returning on it.
(he would throw his own arm using that skill in SS)

and he realy wanted a char with throw ally as his man attack(guess he saw to much trigun)

The_Werebear
2008-05-20, 10:28 PM
A Greek style peltast. The best I could come up with was a Scout. The problem was gear at higher levels, as getting 15-20 javelins enchanted is very expensive, even if you treat them as ammunition. Even if you have one returning one, you lose all iterative attacks. The system just isn't conducive to it.

Cuddly
2008-05-20, 10:48 PM

With 7 LA, you better hope you never have to roll a will save (or worse yet, a Holy Word goes off next to you). Well, if you somehow scrounge up the feats for endurance and steadfast determination, you're pretty safe.

A Greek style peltast. The best I could come up with was a Scout. The problem was gear at higher levels, as getting 15-20 javelins enchanted is very expensive, even if you treat them as ammunition. Even if you have one returning one, you lose all iterative attacks. The system just isn't conducive to it.

I think 4 levels of that one ToB class that gets instant return on thrown weapons could help you out. Unfortunately, your build woudn't be viable until what, 10th? 12th? level?

SoD
2008-05-21, 12:43 AM
A thri-keen who quad weilds two-bladed swords. Who wouldn't want to be a giant bug with eight whirling blades of fury? Even if he can only use four whirling blades of fury each round?

skywalker
2008-05-21, 01:40 AM
A friend of mine was(still is, somewhat) completely enthralled by the effigy master. He's always talking about using that PRC and summoning spells to create the ultimate "can't kill me" wizard. Too bad he mainly has to DM.

Bender
2008-05-21, 06:22 AM
I'm sure the build has a lot of Con as well. High Con bonuses mean an *ok* amount of HP. I'm sure somewhere I saw a half red-dragon troll build with like 50-something strength, gets healed by fire, and takes subdual damage from everything except acid. Probably has very little actual class levels though.
I did one of those once, the troll's +12 con negates the loss of hd concerning hit points. (vulnerable to HD-based effects though)
With greater acid resistance and some mind blank item (you're quite easily dominated, but immune to lower level dominate person), he was pretty tough to damage. Didn't actually get to play it though, which DM would allow a hulking hurler that can do more than 100d6+60 damage...

What I would love to play is an oozemaster, the concept is just too freaky not to like :smallsmile:

edit:

A thri-keen who quad weilds two-bladed swords. Who wouldn't want to be a giant bug with eight whirling blades of fury? Even if he can only use four whirling blades of fury each round?
four whirling blades of fury...
Now I can't get this image out of my head:http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/explore/sithsnap/2005/06/img/ep3_ia_91452.jpg

SoD
2008-05-21, 07:19 AM
edit:

four whirling blades of fury...
Now I can't get this image out of my head:http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/explore/sithsnap/2005/06/img/ep3_ia_91452.jpg

Ah, but now imagine it with double-bladed light sabers!

valadil
2008-05-21, 08:25 AM
All my quirky fun characters who don't have a strong enough build behind them usually end up as NPCs when I GM. I tend stock pile these characters and when I've got a decent sized collection of them I run a game.

Oslecamo
2008-05-21, 08:34 AM
In my most recent campaign I made my party fight shauagins crusaders mounted on flying large sharks.

Being a DM is a great way of trying out all those crazy concepts. Specially because you really don't care much if they get killed in the end.

The Gilded Duke
2008-05-21, 09:01 AM
I really wanted to play a Truenamer at one point...and a Shadowcaster. ;_;

I've been noticing some interresting things you can do with a shadowcaster.

Take multiple feats to make Greater Flesh Fails a Supernatural ability, take it multiple times.

A ranged dex or con or st damaging spell with no save no spell resistance and no attack roll that effects multiple targets.

Bender
2008-05-21, 09:56 AM
Being a DM is a great way of trying out all those crazy concepts. Specially because you really don't care much if they get killed in the end.
This is how a dragon disciple and a half dragon loxo got into the campaign I'm running (I really have a half-dragon thing going :smallamused:). I'm a bit hesitant to put the latter directly in front of the party, since although he is supposedly EL-appropriate, he would single-handedly wipe the floor with them (and I went easy on the AC).

Ah, but now imagine it with double-bladed light sabers!Now I want to play that too :smalltongue:

The_Werebear
2008-05-21, 10:13 AM
I think 4 levels of that one ToB class that gets instant return on thrown weapons could help you out. Unfortunately, your build woudn't be viable until what, 10th? 12th? level?

Bloodstorm Blade

yeah, that would have helped. The problem with that is that it requires Initiating to get into, and pretty much no school of maneuvers helps with throwing either. Maybe some of the boosts would be useful in general, but there just aren't enough. And anyway, if I am doing Bloodstorm Blade, there's no mechanical reason to throw anything but greatswords.

It would help, but it just wouldn't fix it.