PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade help...please?

enteri09
2008-05-20, 07:05 PM
Hi guys.

My group is just about to start a new campagin and it's 5th lvl and tiefling, asamir and genesai loose the +1 l.a i'm thinking of playing a earth genesai hexblade4/red dragon disciple1 and looking for advice on feat selection. only 1flaw is allowed. EDIT: CORE COMPLETE AND COMPENDIUM ONLY MY STAT ROLLS ARE 16 16 16 17 14 11

Keld Denar
2008-05-20, 07:12 PM
NEED MOAR INFO AND BOOKS!

Seriously? Ability Focus(Hex) from the Monstrous Manual, Power Attack, a good 2hander, and the Dark Companion alt class feature from PHBII. Also, if you really want to be cool, hold off on the DD until you get 2nd level Hexblade casting. Then sink all your bonus spells/day into your 2nd level slot and cast Whirling Blade a lot, making full use of your high +str gains from DD. A lot of people will tell you that DD is a bad class, but it can be made managable.

Try this. Go out and buy a 5th of Tequilia, a 1/2 gallon of Margarita mix, and some salt. Tip a couple back with your DM, and see if you can convince him that DD is underpowered and should be given full BAB. That alone would make the class a bit more tolerable. Maybe see if your DM would also give your breath weapon a normal recharge rate (every 1d4 rounds) instead of 1/day. Then take Entangling Exhalation. This'll give you some nice crowd control as well.

Project_Mayhem
2008-05-20, 07:46 PM
Go out and buy a 5th of Tequilia, a 1/2 gallon of Margarita mix, and some salt

I second this. In any context.

quiet1mi
2008-05-20, 09:09 PM
Go out and buy a 5th of Tequilia, a 1/2 gallon of Margarita mix, and some salt

wow... is there any problem that won't solve or cause?

wormwood
2008-05-20, 11:37 PM
wow... is there any problem that won't solve or cause?

Insomnia. The effects of tequila on insomnia are quite variable and unpredictable... trust me.

Cuddly
2008-05-20, 11:42 PM
Depending on how evil your party is, picking up two (or three) levels of an evil paladin class (tyranny, slaughter) from the SRD, or two levels of blackguard (feat intensive) doubles your cha to saves.

This means you can drink a 5th of tequila and hug casters all day and not feel a thing.

Chronicled
2008-05-20, 11:50 PM
I no longer have the link, but the creator of the Hexblade class later wrote that it was too weak, and suggested a few fixes to balance it. Getting your DM to approve any or all of them would help you a lot.

Also, Improved Familiar. Take it when you're able, and get a nice big Winter Wolf.

Solo
2008-05-20, 11:53 PM
Depending on how evil your party is, picking up two (or three) levels of an evil paladin class (tyranny, slaughter) from the SRD, or two levels of blackguard (feat intensive) doubles your cha to saves.

Use flaws.

Paladin of Tyranny/Hexblade/Blackguard

marjan
2008-05-20, 11:54 PM
Also, Improved Familiar. Take it when you're able, and get a nice big Winter Wolf.

I still prefer Planar Familiar for Howler.:smallamused:
Though you would need to be CN, I think, to get that one.

EDIT: Just noticed - No Planar Handbook, so this one is impossible.

Cuddly
2008-05-20, 11:56 PM
Actually, improved familiar can be very good as a Hexblade, since it's going to have a good deal of HP, and a full BAB.

I'd go for an imp over a winterwolf, though. An imp gets invis as a use at will SLA, and being able to see in any darkness perfectly well while using your spot/search checks is QUITE useful.

Solo
2008-05-20, 11:57 PM
The Dark Companion alternate class feature from PHBII is pretty popular, I hear.

Cuddly
2008-05-20, 11:58 PM
The Dark Companion alternate class feature from PHBII is pretty popular, I hear.

Combined with a paladin of tyranny's aura and a swift cast hex, and even your piddling hexblade spells have a chance of working.

SoD
2008-05-21, 12:29 AM
Try this. Go out and buy a 5th of Tequilia, a 1/2 gallon of Margarita mix, and some salt. Tip a couple back with your DM

Hmm...I can't do this...I am currently a DM...I'll just have to tip back twice the amount and try to convince myself of stuff!

But, if I may offer my own suggestion: a splash of voddie never hurts.

If you're taking Dragon Diciple, and, what's more, one level (so far)...you're not getting that much out of it until third leve-wait a second, you can't be a hexblade 4/Dragon Disciple 1, it's impossibly without DM fiat: prereqs: spellcraft 8 ranks. As a forth level hexblade, the most you can have is seven ranks. I assume that this was another DM change? Yeah, you get your natural attacks next level, along with a strength bonus, but the real thing you want is at third level. But, as said, I'd reccomend waiting until you can cast second level spells before taking this Prestige Class, so you're not throwing extra spells into first level slots.

enteri09
2008-05-21, 12:57 AM
SoD: Thanx man i'm sooincredably stupid ammendments have been made to the original post.

Everybody else: I have th dc substitution. thanx for the tip

Draz74
2008-05-21, 01:46 AM
Maybe see if your DM would also give your breath weapon a normal recharge rate (every 1d4 rounds) instead of 1/day. Then take Entangling Exhalation. This'll give you some nice crowd control as well.

There's actually a feat in Races of the Dragon -- "Dragon Breath" that alters your breath weapon exactly so. Not that it would be overpowered to get it for free ... and you don't qualify for the feat until you've taken your final level of DD ...

SoD
2008-05-21, 02:26 AM
SoD: Thanx man i'm sooincredably stupid ammendments have been made to the original post.

Nah, don't put yourself down, we all have our bad days (except me). After all, we're only human (except me).