PDA

View Full Version : Zombies?

shadow_archmagi
2008-05-21, 05:19 PM
I need a good modern-times zombie RPG. Preferably one which can be homebrewed for a particular setting.

I have no idea where to start. Google was unhelpful. Please help me forum gods.

SurlySeraph
2008-05-21, 05:48 PM
All Flesh Must Be Eaten sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

Jack Zander
2008-05-21, 09:42 PM
I've actually used the grim and gritty rules along with modern day weapons and npc classes in DnD and had a successful zombie adventure. Just give all undead the ability to inflict zombie infection (homebrewed version of mummy rot) if they bite you. No saving throw, but they must pin you in a grapple in order to use their bite attack.

Zombies, ghouls, ghasts, and morgues all work well for various "stages" of zombification.

Don't worry about gold, just have random weapons and ammo drops.

I had a few classes like, policeman (warrior), doctor (expert), lawyer (expert), hacker (expert), etc. All the classes based on expert had their 10 class skills pre-selected. And no multiclassing.

Yeah, every battle was risky, but if you know how to handle encounters right (always give the players a slight edge) it could work really well for you.

But if you want less work, go with All Flesh Must Be Eaten.

TheThan
2008-05-21, 09:46 PM
D20 modern works really well. I’ve used it before with a fair amount of success.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-05-21, 11:30 PM
All Flesh Must Be Eaten. It is the bomb. You can play it grim and gritty or superpowered with equal ease, and it has no one setting (for quick setting ideas you can read stuff like the Zombie Survival Guide). There's also a supplement full of setting ideas, and there's some crazy stuff there. Zombie Red Baron, WW2 Special Ops Zombies, the 47 Gaki, Zombie Richeliu, etc. The zombie creation rules are great, too - they cover pretty much any sort of zombies, with different vectors of transmission and such.

Being a genre-specific game, it will beat d20 Modern about 100 to 1. Suck it, d20.

Cuddly
2008-05-21, 11:52 PM
Chaosium's Cthulhu works alright for zombies.