PDA

View Full Version : Where do you work?

Axl_Rose
2008-05-21, 05:22 PM
I was curious and was wondering if you would be so kind as to humour my curiosity.

Contextual information regarding this post availible upon request. lol

Jagg
2008-05-21, 05:24 PM
On the tallest commercial level of the tallest building in the city in which I live.

so why the curiosity?

Don Beegles
2008-05-21, 05:26 PM
Technically nowhere, yet, but yesterday I got hired into the shoe department at my local Sears.

Sounds like a pretty good job; minimum wage but with bonuses by commission, not too much work, not too many hours, and really easy when it comes.

Of course, then there are people. I was visiting teachers at my school today, and I told my sophomore English teacher, who is a very cynical woman, about it. She said "Yeah, I think everyone should have to work in sales or customer service for at least a year just so they learn what people are like. Then, next summer, you can get an internship somewhere or something." Ah for optimism.

Raider
2008-05-21, 06:59 PM
Work? School? Yeah right, well actually....

Bell 1-Algebra...........When will the stupid year end!

I'm probably going to work at a Country Club over the Summer doing some caddying and other tasks.

Midnight Son
2008-05-21, 07:03 PM
Downstairs in storage B.

Lianae
2008-05-21, 07:25 PM
On the eighth floor of a building in Melbourne's CBD, but I'm leaving soon to travel :smallbiggrin:

Thes Hunter
2008-05-21, 07:33 PM
On an island in the middle of the Mississippi River.

adanedhel9
2008-05-21, 08:35 PM
I work on the 10th floor of this (http://wikimapia.org/#lat=44.9864968&lon=-93.4029561&z=18&l=0&m=a&v=2) building.

BizzaroStormy
2008-05-21, 08:44 PM
Currently? High School.
This summer? Ivy Tech and a nearby Machine Shop.

Zakama
2008-05-21, 08:47 PM
On an island in the middle of the Mississippi River.

Ooo, really? I demand Google Maps! :smallbiggrin:

RTGoodman
2008-05-21, 08:52 PM
Well, I just finished by BA in History and Medieval Studies about, oh, 11 days ago or so, and I'm still looking for a job.

I've applied for several, though, but the one I'm most hoping to hear back from is being a Museum Interpreter, Historical Interpreter (i.e., costumed person), or Visitor's Center and Gift Shop attendant at Old (http://www.oldsalem.org/) Salem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Salem).

Of course, any work is probably temporary, because I'm looking at heading far away for grad school in Fall 2009, in which case I'll probably work as an instructor at whatever college I end up at.

Agamid
2008-05-21, 08:57 PM
Currently unemployed...

...but have worked in:
An OP-shop - Retail/customer service staff
A Bakery - Retail/customer service staff
A Vet Surgery - assistant vet nurse
An Art Gallery - catering for an event
A Coffee Shop - dish pig
Model - amateur catwalk stuff as well as semi-professional photography
A Primary School - teacher's aid in a yr. 3 class
Medieval Banquettes - Wait and kitchen staff
Back-packers' bar in South Africa - Bar staff
On my Aunt's farm - so... farm hand... this is on-going work there every xmas

I also do theatrical shows with my medieval group, and we do weddings and things like that too.

And I've been a private reptile owner and breeder now for over 12 years. Hoping this summer i'll have some baby Central Beardies, some Frillies and maybe some Carpet pythons to sell... and perhaps, by some miracle, i might even have some Eastern Beardies, though this i doubt (i think my male i gay...)

Phae Nymna
2008-05-21, 09:19 PM
Nowhere at the mo', but I have job opportunities in a loom-woven rug and other stuff shop, and at the wonderful, local Country Day Creative Arts Camp as an intern, and then later as a counsellor and then even more later as a- uh... I forget. Anyways, nothing much in my employment world. I hope to get a pleasant job once I'm at a university. Oh well... I've still got a ways to go.

Edit: OOH! I just remembered that I'm going to learn how to sew respectable clothing pieces of my own design, blow glass, and also I'll be learning how to weld (I have no idea what I could use that for. Seriously, I'm completely clueless.). YAY! Versatile lessons with possible applications as job requirement fulfillers or something like that!

BizzaroStormy
2008-05-21, 09:51 PM

Awesome!!!

Thanatos 51-50
2008-05-21, 09:59 PM
In Japan, in a Weather Center.

Serpentine
2008-05-21, 10:26 PM
In libraries.
Plural.
Town and university.
<.<
I feel so dull v.v

FdL
2008-05-21, 10:32 PM
In libraries.
Plural.
Town and university.
<.<
I feel so dull v.v

And yet I find it so awesome...But I think I've told you about it before :p

Agamid
2008-05-21, 11:59 PM
In libraries.
Plural.
Town and university.
<.<
I feel so dull v.v
My cousin just got a job in the national library, and one of my best friends is studying to become a librarian. Ain't nothing dull about a girl working who works in a library, as below picture demonstrates.

http://www.brainlock.org/pix/royolibrarians.gif

Serpentine
2008-05-22, 12:05 AM
Heh. At the library they have a cartoon of "Conan the Librarian", hauling some poor scrawny guy up by the collar and yelling in his face, "This is overDUE you snivelling cur!"
A quick google search doesn't come up with the comic, but it does come up with this:
http://bp0.blogger.com/_PddQ8xLinAc/RzLzw8wxZVI/AAAAAAAAB6Q/EjXlsBLprzo/s400/ConanTheLibrarian.jpg

RTGoodman
2008-05-22, 12:08 AM
In libraries.
Plural.
Town and university.
<.<
I feel so dull v.v

I feel like an idiot. That's the perfect job for me, and I didn't even check any of the libraries around me, university or public!

What exactly do libraries look for in employees? I love books and am pretty OCD about filing and organizing stuff, so I think I should be good.

Guess I know where I'm headed tomorrow...

Serpentine
2008-05-22, 12:17 AM
Erm...
Well, first I volunteered at the one in my home town (I was paid in afternoon tea).
Then, when I was going to have a few months between the end of school and the start of uni, my dad told me that the local council, for which he worked, had casual library assistant positions open. I was told that they would basically hire as many people as were suitable, and something like 3 other people applied. I don't know how rubbish they must've been, but apparently I was the only one they hired. I had to do a little test on the Dewey-Decimal System and putting arrangements of numbers and letters in order, and I had questions like "if someone comes in with this complaint, what would you do?" Other than that, I can't really say what I did that got me hired, but it did... (And I never actually quit or got fired or anything, even 4 years later :smallconfused: Apparently I've been taken of the casual lists now, but I'm still technically an employee for the council so they can just take me on easily if there's any work for me to do when I happen to be on the Gold Coast).
In Armidale, I just took my resume around there. I got lucky - the staff on Saturdays had been complaining for months about needing someone to help. My now boss actually thanked me for making my resume available, and then begged my forgiveness when it took another 2 or 3 months for me to start working :smallconfused:
The university library takes on a lot of students but, I'm told, there can be a waiting list of years before someone gets hired. I took my resume in, and had the job in about a month :smallredface:
So yeah... Mostly just starting small (volunteering) and luck got me these jobs. I think the stuff you listed should just about be fine, if you also have an understanding of the sorting system they have there. In the case of local, government-run libraries, it was stressed to me on the Gold Coast that you're the face of the council, and need to have very good people skills. To be an actual librarian, though, requires a degree. I'm not sure just what that degree involves...

wxdruid
2008-05-22, 12:52 AM
to follow up on Thanatos...

I work at the 15th Operational Weather Squadron at Scott AFB and I'm at work right now.

Agamid
2008-05-22, 12:56 AM
I feel like an idiot. That's the perfect job for me, and I didn't even check any of the libraries around me, university or public!

What exactly do libraries look for in employees? I love books and am pretty OCD about filing and organizing stuff, so I think I should be good.

Guess I know where I'm headed tomorrow...

well in Oz at least, getting a job in a library involves either being really lucky, doing a university course or having prior work experience in a library.
Uni libraries don't tend to be as fussy though, and often take on students as casual staff - that's how my cousin started her library career.

I also think more rural libraries are less fussy, but that's how it is the city.

SoD
2008-05-22, 01:00 AM
Anglesea Barracks. Yup, SoDs a soldier!

Well, a part time musician in the army band...BUT STILL A SOLDIER!

FoE
2008-05-22, 01:03 AM
At my desk. :smalltongue:

Zeb The Troll
2008-05-22, 01:12 AM
I'm not sure if you're looking for a physical location or a company, but...

I'm a contractor for the FBI and I work on the 9th floor of the J Edgar Hoover building (headquarters) in downtown Washington DC.

NikkTheTrick
2008-05-22, 01:30 AM
Grad student. not really a worker, but not really a student either :smallwink:

Freshmeat
2008-05-22, 01:53 AM
College student here, working as an intern at the police communication department.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-05-22, 01:59 AM
I don't work.

I don't learn at school.
I'm being tortured at school.

Mordokai
2008-05-22, 03:01 AM
Sounds like a pretty good job; minimum wage but with bonuses by commission, not too much work, not too many hours, and really easy when it comes.

Oh really? (http://www.popsyndicate.com/images/uploads/ca08_al_bundy.jpg)

Being serious, don't let this scare you. I mean, you can't possibly end up like him :smalltongue: I hope.

For me, graduating. For some time now. I'm starting internship at pharmacy next month.

thubby
2008-05-22, 03:16 AM
currently unemployed, but have a potential job coming up as a security guard on the graveyard shift.

Castaras
2008-05-22, 07:33 AM
My secondary school. :smalltongue:

Darken Rahl
2008-05-22, 07:57 AM
I work in an architecture office in NEPA.

Skippy
2008-05-22, 08:10 AM
I work at a Blockbuster. 'Tis a slave job, but I love it. Keeps me close to one of my favorite hobbies: The movies.

Gotta admit, I'm doing a good job there. That's what she said!!

Darken Rahl
2008-05-22, 08:14 AM
Please tell your bosses upstairs thanks for removing the restocking fee. :)

B-Man
2008-05-22, 12:44 PM
I currently work on the 3rd floor at these co-ordinates: 43°9'28"N 79°14'45"W. Actual desk may vary depending on sitting availability.

Trog
2008-05-22, 01:32 PM
My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents. [/Costanza]

I work in the corner office with all the windows.

Supagoof
2008-05-22, 02:22 PM
I work taking numbers and turning them into pretty charts and pictures for management to understand.

captain_decadence
2008-05-22, 06:02 PM
I have three jobs right now. Wheeee!

1. I work at a coffee shop, specifically it's called "Coffeehouse" and it's on my university campus (entirely student run and managed, love the place).

2. I work for my university's Housing and Dining Office being on call for the summer programs who need help. It gets me free food and room so it's pretty sweet.

3. I work at the University of Texas School of Public Health doing research with a professor. It's not paid but it's really really really really interesting so I'm okay with that.

Felixaar
2008-05-22, 07:23 PM
currently unemployed, but have a potential job coming up as a security guard on the graveyard shift.

Ah, the graveyard shift. The funnest of all shifts.

soozenw
2008-05-23, 07:26 PM
At home. My boss is my (almost) 10 month old son. Pay is crap, but the benefits are astounding.

The Extinguisher
2008-05-23, 07:40 PM
Nowhere at the moment.

But I just had an interview at the waterpark. In THE mall.
You know, the big one.

ghost_warlock
2008-05-26, 03:11 AM
I work here (http://www.boysandgirlshome.com/). Main campus, sixth floor, northeast hallway.

palapul
2008-05-26, 04:03 AM
Well, I am still a student.
I am currently working on Mcdonalds to have money for tuition.

Thes Hunter
2008-05-29, 10:33 PM
Ooo, really? I demand Google Maps! :smallbiggrin:

I slow... but here you go.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=3030+airport+rd.+la+crosse+wi&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=43.123021,79.277344&ie=UTF8&ll=43.877649,-91.266625&spn=0.076965,0.154839&t=h&z=13

Now no stalking!

Charity
2008-05-30, 03:07 AM
Thes you work in a car park?

bosssmiley
2008-05-30, 03:14 AM
Currently unemployed...

...but have worked in:
An OP-shop - Retail/customer service staff
A Bakery - Retail/customer service staff
A Vet Surgery - assistant vet nurse
An Art Gallery - catering for an event
A Coffee Shop - dish pig
A Primary School - teacher's aid in a yr. 3 class
Medieval Banquettes - Wait and kitchen staff
Back-packers' bar in South Africa - Bar staff
On my Aunt's farm - so... farm hand... this is on-going work there every xmas

I also do theatrical shows with my medieval group, and we do weddings and things like that too.

We've found the cause of Australia's unemployment problems; it's you! You're taking all the jobs. /Clarkson :smalltongue:

Eggy: Newcastle, in the law sector (commercial and private conveyancing, a little wills & probate). That's all you need to know. :smalltongue:

Thes Hunter
2008-05-30, 06:44 AM
Thes you work in a car park?

Yes. And I will make sure your car gets stolen.

No seriously, I work in the large building next to where that arrow is. On the north side of the building you can see where they are preparing to construct the addition. The addition which is now built, which where most of my immediate co-workers sit. Every day if I want to go talk to them, I must walk all the way down to the other end of the building. :smallyuk:

Zar Peter
2008-05-30, 06:52 AM
I work at nearly all construction sites in Vienna, mostly the Lainzer Tunnel, currently not much work due to European Championship.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-05-30, 07:47 AM
In a trailer surrounded by big cement barriers. To protect me from rockets. The upside is, my commute is only a 2 minute walk.

I was curious and was wondering if you would be so kind as to humour my curiosity. Contextual information regarding this post availible upon request.

Now you have to humor/humour my curiosity - what is this about contextual information?

I'm da Rogue!
2008-05-30, 08:23 AM
At people's houses, or at my place, as a math tutor.

Not much to say here.

dish
2008-05-30, 08:26 AM
In Shanghai.

Charity
2008-05-30, 08:34 AM
Yes. And I will make sure your car gets stolen.

No seriously, I work in the large building next to where that arrow is. On the north side of the building you can see where they are preparing to construct the addition. Every day if I want to go talk to most of my co-workers, I must walk all the way down to the other end of the building. :smallyuk:

Aha well aparantly I work in the building next door (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=precision+enterprise+house+rankin+rd+basingstoke&sll=51.276589,-1.071746&sspn=0.00792,0.019054&ie=UTF8&cd=1&t=h&attrid=&ei=9wRASNX5Nobk2wK3nbzQCQ&view=map)

Ryshan Ynrith
2008-05-30, 08:39 AM
I work as a maxi-logger for Quest Diagnostics, night shift. So you know those drug tests you have to take to start work? All I do, from one to 9:30, is type them into the computer. On a good day, I type up 1150 requisition forms on my shift.

So many social security numbers...

SerenityKry
2008-05-30, 08:40 AM
Well I happen to be a CSR in charge of a couple of the huge accounts we store at our warehouse. I deal with the same customers day in and day out and also every grumpy mood they are in... I'm wishing I could slap through the monitor at times.

The people I work with are pretty awesome and know how to take a joke, or a good ol' flipping of the bird. Don't ask... It's a crazy game we've settled ourselves into.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=4739+W.+Jefferson+St,+Phoenix+Arizona&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=29.716225,59.414063&ie=UTF8&ll=33.447924,-112.160872&spn=0.003814,0.007253&t=h&z=17

I'm actually in the building to the left of the green arrow with all the white semi trailers sticking out of it. Totally looks like we were having an insanely busy day, I was probably profusely cursing. >.>

Inhuman Bot
2008-05-30, 11:44 AM
Putting those bands up on trees. It's a helluva lot of work, but I work about 8 hours in 2 months and get paid $1,000.

Telonius
2008-05-30, 02:21 PM
My work is done in a notebook wherever I find the space for it. The annoying job I do to prevent me from starving to death in the meantime is done in a cubicle. A minion is me!

SerenityKry
2008-05-30, 02:41 PM
My work is done in a notebook wherever I find the space for it. The annoying job I do to prevent me from starving to death in the meantime is done in a cubicle. A minion is me!

I have toys all over my cubicle to keep me occupied, I think everyone who works in a cubicle should invest in Tech Decks (Small Skateboards). Because everyone else ends up coming over to your desk to play with all of your toys. >.<

The Extinguisher
2008-05-30, 06:41 PM
Score!

Got the job. *does the money dance*