PDA

View Full Version : Dual wielding attack rolls

Macellari
2008-05-21, 08:27 PM
Hey guys, I´m wondering how dual wielding works. Say a level 6 Fighter now with two attacks on his main hand (+6 / +1) how do off hand attacks work? I know about the penalties of using an off hand, and improving it with two-weapon stlye feat. But i´m wondering how many attacks that Fighter gets at level 6 with 2 weapons (lets imagine he doesn´t have any 2 weapon feats).

Thanks

Matthew
2008-05-21, 08:30 PM
Okay...

First of all, attacking with two weapons is a Full Attack Action.

BAB 1-5 = two attacks
BAB 6-10 = three attacks
BAB 11-15 = four attacks
BAB 16-20 = five attacks

Add in the Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting and Greater Two Weapon Fighting to get:

BAB 1-5 = two attacks
BAB 6-10 = four attacks
BAB 11-15 = six attacks
BAB 16-20 = seven attacks

Human Fighter (Level One) AB 1(3)
Attributes: Strength 15, Dexterity 15,
Feats: None

Long Sword and Long Sword = -3/-7
Short Sword and Short Sword = -1/-5

Feats: Two Weapon Fighting

Long Sword and Long Sword = -1/-1
Short Sword and Short Sword = +1/+1

Feats: Two Weapon Fighting, Oversized Two Weapon Fighting,

Long Sword and Long Sword = +1/+1
Short Sword and Short Sword = +1/+1

Human Fighter (Level Six) AB 6(9)
Attributes: Strength 17, Dexterity 17,
Feats: None

Long Sword and Long Sword = +3/-1/-2
Short Sword and Short Sword = +5/+1/+0

Feats: Two Weapon Fighting

Long Sword and Long Sword = +5/+5/+0
Short Sword and Short Sword = +7/+7/+2

Feats: Two Weapon Fighting, Oversized Two Weapon Fighting,

Long Sword and Long Sword = +7/+7/+0
Short Sword and Short Sword = +7/+7/+0

Feats: Two Weapon Fighting, Oversized Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting,

Long Sword and Long Sword = +7/+7/+0/+0
Short Sword and Short Sword = +7/+7/+0/+0

For more information, go here:

Two Handed Fighting

Rules of the Game - Two Handed Fighting 1 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060829a)
Rules of the Game - Two Handed Fighting 2 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060905a)
Rules of the Game - Two Handed Fighting 3 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060912a)

MeklorIlavator
2008-05-21, 08:31 PM
It actually pretty simple: Wielding an off-hand weapon gives one a second attack. Taking Two Weapon Fighting only reduces the penalties, as does wielding a light weapon. In order to gain more attacks, one must take the Improved Two Weapon fight feats(and on down the line.)

tyckspoon
2008-05-21, 08:32 PM
You get one extra attack with the off-hand weapon if you make a Full Attack. Without any extra Two-Weapon feats, that's all you ever get. The benefit of Improved and Greater Two Weapon Fighting is to let you take more off-hand attacks; with Improved you can take two off-hand attacks on a Full Attack, and with Greater you get 3. They follow the same pattern as iterative BAB attacks with the main hand.

Your suggested Fighter would have a Full Attack routine (assuming he's at least sane enough to use a light weapon in the off-hand) of:

+2 (Main Hand)/ +2 (Off-hand) / -3 (Main Hand).

He would have a standard attack of +6 with whichever weapon he preferred to attack with.

Douglas
2008-05-21, 08:37 PM
Not quite. The penalty for offhand without the Two Weapon Fighting feat is -4 worse than for the main hand. A fighter with +6 BAB and no TWF feats using two weapons, with the off hand weapon light, would have two main hand attacks at +2 and -3 and one off hand attack at -2. Any additional modifiers from strength, Weapon Focus, masterwork or magical weapons, etc. would be added on top of these, of course.

With Two Weapon Fighting and a light off hand weapon, the modifiers for BAB and TWF only would give two main hand attacks at +4 and -1 and one off hand attack at +4. Adding Improved Two Weapon Fighting would give an additional off hand attack at -1.

tyckspoon
2008-05-21, 08:45 PM
Not quite. The penalty for offhand without the Two Weapon Fighting feat is -4 worse than for the main hand. A fighter with +6 BAB and no TWF feats using two weapons, with the off hand weapon light, would have two main hand attacks at +2 and -3 and one off hand attack at -2. Any additional modifiers from strength, Weapon Focus, masterwork or magical weapons, etc. would be added on top of these, of course.

D'oh. I seem to have lost the ability to actually think about two-weapon fighting without any of the feats. This guy has it right; the penalties would be -4 main/-8 offhand.

Coplantor
2008-05-21, 08:55 PM
Hey, I have a doubt you may be able to answer me. The same problem as the OP but make the fighter a thri-kreen. does he uses all of his hands? i mean, does he have 2 more attacks than a normal figter and finally... Can he get the benefits of improved two weapon fighting and greater TWF?

Matthew
2008-05-21, 08:57 PM
The Thri-Kreen must take Multi Weapon Fighting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#multiweaponFighting) (Monster Feat) to use more than one se Off Hand Attack. He then must take the Feats in that chain.

[edit]
Actually, Tyckspoon is right, they can make all their Off Hand Attacks at -10.

tyckspoon
2008-05-21, 08:57 PM
Hey, I have a doubt you may be able to answer me. The same problem as the OP but make the fighter a thri-kreen. does he uses all of his hands? i mean, does he have 2 more attacks than a normal figter and finally... Can he get the benefits of improved two weapon fighting and greater TWF?

Yes. He can use all his hands. The major difference is that he uses (Improved, Greater) Multiweapon Fighting instead of Two-Weapon Fighting. Check a copy of almost any of the Monster Manuals for the text.

RTGoodman
2008-05-21, 09:06 PM

The entry for Thri-Kreen in the XPH says that they take the Multi-Weapon Fighting chain instead of the TWF feat chain. So yes, he gets four attacks if he has four weapons.

EDIT: Gah, double-ninja'd!

Macellari
2008-05-21, 09:32 PM
Thanks a ton for the responses. This cleared all doubts I had