PDA

View Full Version : Modern Combat and RPGs

Neon Knight
2008-05-21, 08:33 PM
It's not the biggest secret that D20 Modern isn't considered to have the best modern era combat of any RPG. Don't get me wrong, its perfectly fun and enjoyable, but I am wondering: is there an RPG that does it better?

Note by better, I am mainly talking about options and tactics, availability, differentiation, and validity of. I don't care if the tactic is swinging an M60 about by it's ammo belt firing widely in a way that defies physics. Realism and verisimilitude are not the greatest concerns on my list.

Worira
2008-05-21, 08:36 PM
I've never played it, but I've heard Shadowrun is good. Maybe someone else can give you more information on it.

Matthew
2008-05-21, 08:39 PM
Twilight 2000? Savage Worlds? SLA Industries? Cyberpunk? Shadow Run? Traveller? Space Master? D6 Modern? GURPS?

Frankly, even AD&D does a better job than D20...

Nah, it depends what you want out of your modern combat RPG. D20 does one thing really well, character builds. If that's what you mean by tactics and options, GURPS might be your best bet.

ahammer
2008-05-21, 08:58 PM
recon or shadow run I think

my shadowrun game go on hours of plaining how to attack a building..

the end plain always seems to end up got at the enemy head on lol

John Campbell
2008-05-21, 10:14 PM
To quote one of my Shadowrun characters: "We have to have a plan so that we know what we're deviating from."

I'm partial to Shadowrun - SR3; forget 4E - but just about anything that isn't d20 would be an improvement.

ahammer
2008-05-21, 10:20 PM
To quote one of my Shadowrun characters: "We have to have a plan so that we know what we're deviating from."

I'm partial to Shadowrun - SR3; forget 4E - but just about anything that isn't d20 would be an improvement.

sr3 and 4 are both good but sr3 has more in combat options then 4 does
there by making it take longer to take turns. both are fun if you ask me... for 3 be ready with the d6s.

I must also say I like how shadow run with every ed goes more onlong there time line.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-05-21, 11:35 PM
Damn you, Matthew!

Twilight 2000 is the absolute best, pretty much. It's a game about post-apocalypse (WW3) soldiers trying to survive in a nuked-out world where all the governments commanding the armies have been shattered. Indirect fire and artillery, vehicles from jeeps to tanks, mines, taking cover, etc. Great rules. Freaking deadly, too.

You can pretty much apply real-world military tactics, since you're playing real-world military troops with real-world military equipment. The difference, of course, is that you can't afford to waste bullets or get your vehicles damaged...

I'm really looking forward to Twilight 2013. The devblog looked interesting. I just hope we're not in for another four or five changes of publishing date, yet.