PDA

View Full Version : A dubios and stupid thread.

littlequietguy
2008-05-21, 10:00 PM
I was just thinking about it and started wondering,"is elan a virgin?"

it seems relavant considering what everyone expects of him nowadays.

SteveMB
2008-05-21, 10:07 PM
I was just thinking about it and started wondering,"is elan a virgin?"

I doubt it. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0400.html) :smallbiggrin:

drengnikrafe
2008-05-21, 10:12 PM
That's actually not totally and completely conclusive proof.
I'd say it's reasonable evidence to spark a debate with the full possibility of it being a no, but in my experience, relationships don't move that fast. I'd say he still is.
Making out isn't the same as losing your virginity.

The Extinguisher
2008-05-21, 10:19 PM
Don't forget when he was smiting Samantha's evil tonsils.

His charisma is 18, so I think it's pretty obvious he's had some action. Whether by his own work, or just having in naiveity used by clever townsfolk.

Dacia Brabant
2008-05-21, 10:40 PM
I'd say it's reasonable evidence to spark a debate with the full possibility of it being a no, but in my experience, relationships don't move that fast. I'd say he still is.

Okay, but what about this? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0417.html) From context alone it looks like they're both thinking it may be their last night alive.

In situations like that, it's expected to get a little :smile::wink::redface::tongue::biggrin::cool:

Iiiiiif you know what I mean.

Trazoi
2008-05-21, 10:41 PM
Quoting from Rich's commentary at the beginning of the Bandit section from No Cure for the Paladin Blues...

...In particular, I wanted to dispel the myth that Elan is asexual because he is so childlike. Quite the opposite; Elan probably has a great deal of experience with women. He's attractive and fun to be around, so no doubt many women have shown interest in him. What he lacks is the understanding of love and meaningful relationships, as well as the ability to understand that Haley - who is "one of the guys" to Elan - might be in love with him.

So I strongly doubt it, given Rich's word plus Elan's actions in the whole Bandit camp. It's still a possibility, but you've also got to factor in that Elan is strongly Chaotic Good in a universe where even the Lawful Good afterlife has no stigma against one-night stands. Presumably the Chaotic Good afterlife is just one big orgy :smallwink:

drengnikrafe
2008-05-21, 11:01 PM
It's going to become difficult to continue to support my point of view...

@Scylfing
Sometimes, when you think you're going to die, the important part is that you just spend time with that special someone. Cuddling is more important then... anything more.

@Trazoi
Lawful Good afterlife is based upon the highly structured Maslow's Higherarchy of Needs. Chaotic Good is probably whatever the deceased wants.

chiasaur11
2008-05-21, 11:39 PM
That one bandit cheif come to anyone's mind?
His comments seem to indicate that's part of his standard MO, even.

Firestar27
2008-05-21, 11:41 PM
There's a strip (looked really hard for it, couldn't find it) where Haley and Elan both go up together to find something. Roy tells them not to tell him that they are both going together to fool around. Haley says "Ok, then we won't tell you." (paraphrased from memory)

Trazoi
2008-05-21, 11:55 PM
@Trazoi
Lawful Good afterlife is based upon the highly structured Maslow's Higherarchy of Needs.
I never thought of it as being like that. It's a good idea for a model of an afterlife, except in this case I remember the "Argument Hall Where You're Always Right" being on the same level as the "Tavern of Infinite One-Night Stands", whereas on Maslow's pyramid self-esteem is three levels higher than sex (and one level higher than sexual intimacy).

The Extinguisher
2008-05-21, 11:58 PM
Presumably the Chaotic Good afterlife is just one big orgy :smallwink:

Best. Afterlife. Ever. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, enough about that. Elan is a Dashing Swordsman, if you know what I mean?

Too much?

ABB
2008-05-22, 05:07 AM
In a world without effective and unobtrusive contraception methods, "casual sex" may be a lot less common than in ours.

Now, does the OotS world have effective and unobtrusive contraception? I don"t know, I suppose their could be spells, potions, etc, but few RPGs go into that level of detail, tho I have a few that do...

Laurentio
2008-05-22, 05:53 AM
In a world without effective and unobtrusive contraception methods, "casual sex" may be a lot less common than in ours.
There was some excellent and effective contraception methods at that time, and "casual sex" was probably common even without. Aborts where much more common, anyway, both induced or natural.

Now, does the OotS world have effective and unobtrusive contraception? I don"t know, I suppose their could be spells, potions, etc, but few RPGs go into that level of detail, tho I have a few that do...
Not on Player Handbook, but you can be sure that there must been some method. And while I can't remember properly, time ago a player proved to me that a certain spell has the effect of sterilizing a male character for a day. Don't ask me, I don't remember (could be castration and the regeneration?).

Other spells, like "Enlarge" and "Haste" have interesting applications. "Burning Hands" is not to be used. Ever.

Laurentio

SteveMB
2008-05-22, 06:22 AM

The impression I get is that most GMs who consider the issue assume that spells and potions for the purpose are at least as readily available as cures for disease or light wounds.

Kaolix
2008-05-22, 06:30 AM
There are large unofficial but highly in depth and well written guides to sex in DnD in various places across the internet, including rules for pregnancies based on race, ways of deriving half races of almost anything, methods of contraception and their effectiveness, and even things like rules for (chances of) random encounters with npc's of the non-combat kind.

Suffice to say, in a world where magic allows ressurection, it can be pretty much undoubted that there are effective contraception methods, especially if one lives near a temple to a god of love or similar. Probably more efficient and safer than our own (potion of cure STD, anyone?).

darktalon
2008-05-22, 08:06 AM

The fade-to-exterior-shot strongly implies that more happened than can be shown, but even if that weren't the case it's unlikely that a CG character with Cha 18 made it to adulthood without losing his virginity along the way.

Kato
2008-05-22, 11:58 AM
I'm pretty sure Elan's not a virgin. He's a bard!!! And he's with Haley. I see no reason for him to be a virgin... just because he's childish, doesn't mean he's not mature enough to have sex -.-'

The Extinguisher
2008-05-22, 12:12 PM

Magic is a much more effective contraception than reality.

Wooter
2008-05-22, 12:57 PM
Eugene mentioned a "protection spell" that he forgot to use one night, resulting in Roy. I see no reason why it wouldn't be on the Bard spell list as well.

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-22, 01:35 PM
It's in the charter to SEDUCE every female villain, not just make out with them.
Plus it's pretty clear he and haley had sex.

SlightlyEvil
2008-05-22, 02:40 PM

In one of the prequel books, Eugene makes reference to a contraception spell. Can't remember which book it's in, because it's in the one scene that appears in both books.

darktalon
2008-05-22, 02:48 PM
I'm pretty sure Elan's not a virgin. He's a bard!!! And he's with Haley. I see no reason for him to be a virgin... just because he's childish, doesn't mean he's not mature enough to have sex -.-'

Heck, the teenage pregnancy epidemic in the real world is proof enough of that principle.

maxon
2008-05-22, 03:09 PM
More evidence against.

This
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0468.html

and this
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0401.html

David Argall
2008-05-22, 03:52 PM

Unobtrusive, yes. Effective, as in fully effective, no.

Under D&D 3.5 rules, a 1st level potion, which is unlikely to even affect the drinker for the entire night, cost 50 gp, more than all but the well off make in a month. A scroll will cut that in half, but not only is that still way more than most people can afford, but unless one of the parties is a spellcaster, it means getting a third party involved.

Under general story rules, we want things to be interesting, not automatic and dull. Her buying pills once a month like a bottle of asperin is not the material of sagas. Her desperate and uncertain effort to have sex while trying to avoid the danger [not to mention the complexities when she fails] might be.
So we don't want effective means. We want means that might work, and might not.

Now it is likely that Haley has plot immunity to pregnancy. Pregnancy would be very bothersome to her role in the story. So unless that changes, she is not getting knocked up, at least not until near the end of the story.

Flickerdart
2008-05-22, 04:19 PM
Best. Afterlife. Ever. :smallbiggrin:
Wasn't there a line around after Shojo's death (yeah yeah, lame spoiler, I know) saying exactly what the CG afterlife entailed?

Also, for all your questions...I'd expect the Book of Erotic Fantasy to have the answers. Someone must've bought that thing.

ABB
2008-05-22, 04:57 PM
I must say I'm pleased to see the topic of contraception and casual sex in the D&D/OotS universe is staying quite civil and reasonable.

Edea
2008-05-22, 05:34 PM
I think as long as we're not using it whilst LARPing, it's cool :x.

Also in the camp for Elan not being a virgin anymore. Sex is definitely present in the comic for both him and others (I want to see Kazumi's baby sooooo bad :DDDD).

krossbow
2008-05-22, 05:37 PM
More evidence against.

This
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0468.html

and this
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0401.html

Huh, never realized that haley had a tatoo on her back before.

Kish
2008-05-22, 05:56 PM
Wasn't there a line around after Shojo's death (yeah yeah, lame spoiler, I know) saying exactly what the CG afterlife entailed?
That was Belkar speculating. If anyone knows about the afterlife...Belkar sure doesn't.

Mando Knight
2008-05-22, 06:10 PM
I've been in the "Elan is not a virgin" group since I read #400... My question is, is Roy a virgin? (aside from any possibility of stopping by the Tavern of Infinite One-Night Stands on his way up/down the mountain of LG afterlife...)

Flickerdart
2008-05-22, 06:26 PM
I've been in the "Elan is not a virgin" group since I read #400... My question is, is Roy a virgin? (aside from any possibility of stopping by the Tavern of Infinite One-Night Stands on his way up/down the mountain of LG afterlife...)
There are untold amounts of references to him and Celia "doing it". Notably the part where he complains about not getting any sleep because of her, and adding that he didn't at all mind those nights.

Wooter
2008-05-22, 06:27 PM

...what? He totally sexed up Celia.

David Argall
2008-05-22, 09:00 PM
I've been in the "Elan is not a virgin" group since I read #400... My question is, is Roy a virgin?

The presumption he and Celia went at it is widespread

Halvormerlinaky
2008-05-23, 02:38 AM
Other spells, like "Enlarge" and "Haste" have interesting applications. "Burning Hands" is not to be used. Ever.

Laurentio

Comedy gold! Can I say you win this thread?

maxon
2008-05-23, 11:28 AM
The thing is, none of the Stick is a virgin. Haley and Elan, Roy and Celia are shown in 'adult' relationships, Belkar has his whores, V is married (I might buy V being the only virgin if only because Elves aren't known for doing anything quickly and his marriage may not have been consummated yet - yeah right) and then, last of all Durkon had the thing with Hilgya (sp?) back in - eh blimey - double figures. Go team cleric!*

I think the thread might be better if we speculated on who IS a likely virgin in the whole strip. My money would be on Hinjo, definitely Miko and maybe Redclock. Xykon presumably doesn't have time for such things though he was once flesh and blood. Does the MiTD even know what sex is? Thog?

* I can't believe I typed that.

SteveMB
2008-05-23, 11:51 AM
Xykon presumably doesn't have time for such things though he was once flesh and blood.

Minor Start of Darkness spoilers:

Early in Xykon's career, he and a two other minions were being considered for the post of chief lieutenant to their Evil Overlord. Xykon was passed over and the other two were chosen as co-lieutenants. Xykon remarked that he didn't mind so much losing to the female rival, who had impressive magical powers and was "great in the sack".

Also, after Xykon stole his crown from Eugene Greenhilt's mentor (when he's elderly but still human), we see him using it as a conversation piece to pick up chicks.

Kato
2008-05-23, 11:57 AM
I'm not sure about Hinjo... It depends on a paladin's honor stuff, I think. If he's allowed to, he probably had sex already. Miko's definitely a virgin. Noone would ever meet her expectations. (not even O-Chul)
Xykon... probably had sex... once before he went crazy with greed for power or so... RC also, me thinks... He's too normal for never doing such a thing. As long as the Dark One allows his priests to do so. MitD does not even know, what sex is -.-*** (Lien, Daigo and Kazumi don't need any discussion, right, as does Shojo)
V is also not a virgin, I think... when s/he's married, s/he also had sex at least once.

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-23, 12:04 PM
Xykon... probably had sex... once before he went crazy with greed for power or so.

In SoD Redcloak mentions that becoming a Lich would cause him to lose "certain fleshy bits" and Xykon makes a joke about it not moving on it's own for X years (20 I think), and also he talks about kidnapping virgins and how it's better to kidnap someone who knows what they're doing, so yeah before he went undead he had sex.

ABB
2008-05-23, 09:15 PM
The thing is, none of the Stick is a virgin. Haley and Elan, Roy and Celia are shown in 'adult' relationships, Belkar has his whores, V is married (I might buy V being the only virgin if only because Elves aren't known for doing anything quickly and his marriage may not have been consummated yet - yeah right) and then, last of all Durkon had the thing with Hilgya (sp?) back in - eh blimey - double figures. Go team cleric!*

I think the thread might be better if we speculated on who IS a likely virgin in the whole strip. My money would be on Hinjo, definitely Miko and maybe Redclock. Xykon presumably doesn't have time for such things though he was once flesh and blood. Does the MiTD even know what sex is? Thog?

* I can't believe I typed that.

Yeah, MitD knows about the beast with two backs, he watched durkon and hygala doing it on xykon's crystal ball, remember?

Schulzy
2008-05-24, 01:08 AM
What makes this thread so strange is that it hasn't degenerated into a Superbad-esque conversation. Anyway:

Belkar likes his whores.
Durkon got it on with Hylga.
Roy got it on with Celia.
V has his/her spouse back home.
Why not Haley and Elan? IMO

Laurentio

I laughed so loud at this, I woke up my sister...

Hallavast
2008-05-24, 02:10 AM
RC is definitely not a virgin. He's a goblin that's lived long enough to become a high level cleric. He probably has hundreds of children by now.

Kato
2008-05-24, 07:57 AM
Oh, sorry. I forgot MitD watching the dwarfs ^^' Of course he DOES know what sex is. Still, he's probably a virgin... Might not even know, what he's supposed to mate with.

Penquin47
2008-05-24, 12:52 PM
RC is definitely not a virgin. He's a goblin that's lived long enough to become a high level cleric. He probably has hundreds of children by now.

SoD:
Redcloak is obsessed with the Plan, to the point where he was introduced to a beautiful goblin who shared his interests and intelligence and blew her off to work on the plan. I doubt he's interested in sex until after he completes the Plan.

Hallavast
2008-05-24, 02:04 PM
SoD:
Redcloak is obsessed with the Plan, to the point where he was introduced to a beautiful goblin who shared his interests and intelligence and blew her off to work on the plan. I doubt he's interested in sex until after he completes the Plan.

The thing about goblins is they're a race that breeds incredibly fast, often die young, and have no sense of personal privacy. Growing up in such a society means sex is as casual and commonplace as eating a meal. If you'd like to imagine enough detail, a goblin might not even notice (s)he's having sex while going about his/her daily business. In other words, it is likely so commonplace that folks are absentminded while doing it. When you're getting enough (too much) of it, your sex drive goes down. The reason he blew her off is likely because of this.

Kish
2008-05-28, 05:58 AM
That description of goblins doesn't strike me as going very well with Redcloak.

Nothing in the strip has addressed this question either way--wait, yes it has. Redcloak's brother was married. Redcloak was too shy to ask the girl in the next hut out. So wherever you're getting your information about goblins, I don't think it's accurate for OotS goblins.

Morty
2008-05-28, 06:28 AM
T So wherever you're getting your information about goblins, I don't think it's accurate for OotS goblins.

Actually, Hallavast's description of goblins is fairly close to D&D's "description" of goblins. In a story that goes strictly by D&D rules and fluff, it'd be accurate. Of course, as we know, OoTS isn't such story, which applies to goblins as well.

TigerHunter
2008-05-28, 06:31 PM
RE: Xykon's virginity. The first thing that popped into my mind after reading that was the succubus waitress in the diner and Xykon's comment about "If I was 50 years younger, I'd bend her over the--".

Uncle Festy
2008-05-28, 07:35 PM
Presumably the Chaotic Good afterlife is just one big orgy :smallwink:

Hmm. Now the question is, how to be more chaotic? :smalltongue::smallwink::smallredface: