PDA

View Full Version : an organ harvesting alternative

littlequietguy
2008-05-21, 10:54 PM
simply quote the spammer who doesn't realize he's not adding anything to an over discussed topic and change what he said to something like "Im so stupid wagga wagga. I hate intelligent debate"

also sorry MODS for the pain u will recieve from this custom.

also call this "Thats not wat I said"ing

Jayngfet
2008-05-21, 10:56 PM
Anyone who organ harvests will recieve an infraction, the problem was dealt with a while ago.

littlequietguy
2008-05-21, 11:00 PM
thats the point they'll have to create a new rule to stop this.

also i truly do believe in the peace and support this forum experiences but also believe in the anti-4e and therkla threads organ harvesting created

also also please dont ban a foolish noob he doesnt know better

bluewind95
2008-05-21, 11:11 PM
So... you're saying that something that the mods would ban has to be done in place of something the mods already banned..?

...Isn't that kind of... um... ignoring the rules? :smallconfused:

Besides... I thought that the organ-harvesting thing didn't require a new rule and it was simply that an existing rule was enforced?

...At any rate, I disagree. It seems rather... rude, I'm afraid. Wouldn't it go under trolling or flaming, or just plain insulting?

Hectonkhyres
2008-05-21, 11:27 PM
Technically its more along the lines of slipping through an unclosed loophole. Its like how in the US there is always a few years between when an objectionable drug is first concocted and when congress actually drafts a law prohibiting it. Look at salvia divinorium for example: a powerful hallucinogen that, until recently, had the legal standing of just another garden plant.

That isn't to say that you can't be modsmacked... they can strike you down for any reason or no reason at all. And intentionally trying to find ways to anger the gods counts as a sin in anybody's book. Unless you practice Discordianism in which case it is mandatory.

kpenguin
2008-05-21, 11:34 PM
Ahem

Discussing How to Circumvent the Forum Rules
We have developed these forum rules to ensure that we maintain a friendly community. As such, we expect all users to abide by them, and discussing or explaining ways to circumvent these rules makes it much more difficult to ensure that. Such posts are therefore themselves against our forum rules. Posts of this sort will be edited and the poster issued an Infraction.

Doing this sort of thing is a baaaad idea.

Firestar27
2008-05-21, 11:39 PM
Stopping organ harvesting wasn't a new rule. It was just a clarification that organ harvesting was spam. Thinking of new ways to spam spammers doesn't need to be blocked. All forms of spam are already forbidden.

Hectonkhyres
2008-05-21, 11:52 PM
But, even more than being a violation of any rule... its unappealing. Organ harvesting at least had some flare and a bit of fun attached to it. It was one of those pieces of forum culture that made said forum unique... like the issuing of improbable superweapons to neophytes on the Schlock Mercenary forums or the orgiastic suicide cult of Pete on the Sluggy Freelance forum.

The suggested practice, however, does nothing but further clutter the forums and generally poison the atmosphere. There is nothing quite like putting words in another man's mouth to trigger a flamewar.

SoD
2008-05-22, 12:05 AM
also also please dont ban a foolish noob he doesnt know better

I don't think you can just say 'don't ban me, I didn't know better'. This shows your train of thought as thus: 'Heh, I'm only a noob, therefore everyone will think that I don't know better, therefore they won't punish me, therefore I can do what I want, therefore bwahaha. Now, lets see what I can do to annoy the mods.'

If you say 'I didn't know' after you get banned/infracted/warned/punished/whatevered, then people will be more likely to beleive you.

Also, this is the wrong board. If anywhere, this should be in the Board/Site Issues (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25).

The Hop Goblin
2008-05-22, 01:05 AM
simply quote the spammer who doesn't realize he's not adding anything to an over discussed topic and change what he said to something like "Im so stupid wagga wagga. I hate intelligent debate"

also sorry MODS for the pain u will recieve from this custom.

also call this "Thats not wat I said"ing

If I recall, you aren't supposed to quote someone and change what they say (except if you are doing it to cut down the overall size of the quote, and concentrating on a single statement). It goes along with 'misrepresentation'. For the life of me, I can't find the topic where it was mentioned, though.

Moreover, this is a discussion about the circumvention of the rules, and I think that's a black-list type thing.

Axl_Rose
2008-05-22, 01:15 AM
It goes along with misrepresentation'.

More than just misrepresentation - to quote someone and then replace their words with "wadadada I'm an idiot" is to be a complete jerk; it's, in essence, flaming or flame-baiting. To encourage many people to do this is completely idiotic; it's not a "solution" at all. And there isn't any problem with the ban on organ harvesting; it was a retarded practice to begin with. And don't even get me started on the "rules on organ harvesting" thread.

Stopping organ harvesting wasn't a new rule. It was just a clarification that organ harvesting was spam. Thinking of new ways to spam spammers doesn't need to be blocked. All forms of spam are already forbidden.

Well said mate.

In short, organ harvesting was never legitimate; it was merely granted unusual leniency for a disappointingly long time. When I used to moderate another set of forums, that kind of sh*t would be shut down almost instantly. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79557&page=2

All considered, I wouldn't be surprised if "geek666" was a troll and this "suggestion" simply be a parody that organ harvesting is so retarded that the unoriginal and blatant flame-bait that "geek666" suggests would be a step up from it. That is, while both organ harvesting and his proposition are awful and could only be worse for this - nay, ANY - forum, there aren't many things worse than myopic spammers rushing to 'harvest organs.'

Anywho, mods, after closing this thread be sure to do an IP check on this geek666 guy. He's either incredulously naive or a troll, and I have a hunch it's the latter.

SoD
2008-05-22, 01:24 AM
There aren't many things worse than myopic spammers rushing to 'harvest organs.'

I dunno, I actually found it quite amusing, and enjoyed the practice (I'm relatively certain nobody actually took offense, right?), and it's far better than insulting people. However, I didn't enjoy it enough to get banned for continuing the practice, or suggesting alternatives.

Laurentio
2008-05-22, 02:47 AM

(from here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80947))

is it just me or is the plot slowing down again?:s mallmad:

Complaining, trying to force forum rules, harassing the newbie. People, all hail the troll!

Laurentio

Kish
2008-05-22, 05:38 AM
No. They wouldn't, because what you're proposing is blatant flaming, which is quite thoroughly covered by the existing rules.

NerfTW
2008-05-22, 08:00 AM
You're in an extremely popular company webforum for a popular webcomic.

It is not your place to tell people they can't ask a question. If you don't want to deal with new readers, go somewhere else. Just don't be a jerk here.

Forum Staff
2008-05-22, 01:17 PM
Doing what is proposed in the opening post will be considered flaming and will earn you a major infraction. Further, discussions about circumventing the board rules are themselves infraction-worthy.