PDA

View Full Version : Referance guide

Degausser
2008-05-22, 08:07 AM
Okay, so I'm doing a series of drawings depicting the OOtS characters in my own, non-stick, style. THIS MUCH IS NOT NEW, NO ORGAN HARVESTING PLEASE!

HOWEVER, in order to be as faithful to the comic as I can be, I want to make sure I get stuff right. And, no offense to Rich, sometimes it's hard to tell what people are wearing or using. I was hoping people could fill in the gaps or give me the most generally accepted theories.

1) Roy Greenhilt. The OOtS game mentions that the purple stuff is actually plate mail (most likely magical. I don't think medieval Europe had ways of constructing purple plate, from scratch.) His sword is, obviously, the Greenhilt sword,or, alternatively, a war club. However, it is never stated (that I can remember) if he wears breastplate, plate mail, or full plate.

2)Haley Starshine. It was stated during the climactic Nale/Elan fight that her armor is Standard Leather (probably magical, given her level) and it stands to reason she uses a shortbow, as rogues are not automatically proficient with the longbow, and she needs those feat slots for manyshot and so forth.

3)Durkon Thundershield: In an early comic, Durkon showed the 'tag' of his plate mail to be the "Full Plate Mail" variety. He uses his family Heirlooms, a Warhammer and shield.

4)Elan (Does he have a last name?) Used to wear a chain shirt and a cape, now wears a vest and a normal white shirt (kinda not knowing why he didn't pick up new armor . . . loosing +4 armor is bad . . .) Uses a rapier in both versions.

5)Belkar Bitterleaf. Belkar wears a cape and lots of green. He's never explicitly stated to wear armor, but one could assume it's studded Leather, but this is just a theory. He may use either Halfing-sized Daggers (as joked about in the first comic) or Halfling-sized shortswords (human sized daggers) I don't know which.

6)V: A circlet, a cape, and robes. V has no weapons that I know of.

NME NPCs
Xykon: Skeleton in a purple robe, may have a crown. No weapons.

Redcloak. NOTE: Apparantly, OOtS-verse Goblins are medium-sized creatures,
as Redcloak is taller than Belkar, and about as tall as Roy. He has a red cloak, but I don't know beyond that if he wears armor or if that's just normal clothes. Also unsure of his weapon, if any.

Miko: Miko Obviously uses a Daishou (Japanese pairing of a Katana and a Wakazashi), but is her armor breastplate, platemail, or something else?

Nale: Deceptivly Complex. On the outset, it looks as if he wears exactly what Elan wears, except replacing a rapier with a Longsword. HOWEVER, he doesn't have levels in bard OR Warmage, so how does he cast spells in a chain shirt? Even if it were a mithril Chain shirt, it would have a 10% spell failure chance, and Nale doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who'd take that chance.

Thog: What IS thog wearing? He's a Fighter/Barbarian, so he could be wearing full-plate (similar to Roy) but that doesn't seem very Thog-like (not to mention that Sabine carries Thog off, and the addition of plate mail would make that very difficult.) Obviously uses a great-axe.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-05-22, 08:22 AM
This actually belongs down in Arts and Crafts (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27).

Good luck with the artwork, many of us look forward to new interpretations to the cast. :smallsmile:

Laurentio
2008-05-22, 08:31 AM
Okay, so I'm doing a series of drawings depicting the OOtS characters in my own, non-stick, style. THIS MUCH IS NOT NEW, NO ORGAN HARVESTING PLEASE!
organ Harvesting has been suppressed, luckly.

HOWEVER, in order to be as faithful to the comic as I can be, I want to make sure I get stuff right. And, no offense to Rich, sometimes it's hard to tell what people are wearing or using. I was hoping people could fill in the gaps or give me the most generally accepted theories.

1) Roy Greenhilt. The OOtS game mentions that the purple stuff is actually plate mail (most likely magical. I don't think medieval Europe had ways of constructing purple plate, from scratch.) His sword is, obviously, the Greenhilt sword,or, alternatively, a war club. However, it is never stated (that I can remember) if he wears breastplate, plate mail, or full plate.
It was very common to cover armours with a vest, to reduce the effect of sun on the metal (heating), and to show own's colours. Probably Roy wears a purple vest on his armour, with only the shoulder pads showing. Durkan, that is a dwarf, don't (dwarfness is misery for choice).

4)Elan (Does he have a last name?) Used to wear a chain shirt and a cape, now wears a vest and a normal white shirt (kinda not knowing why he didn't pick up new armor . . . loosing +4 armor is bad . . .)
Could be the same. A vest on the armor. Chain mails use no shoulder pads.

5)Belkar Bitterleaf. Belkar wears a cape and lots of green. He's never explicitly stated to wear armor, but one could assume it's studded Leather, but this is just a theory. He may use either Halfing-sized Daggers (as joked about in the first comic) or Halfling-sized shortswords (human sized daggers) I don't know which.
Beklar is found of weapon throwing. Shortsword are bad for throwing, so bets are on daggers.

Redcloak. NOTE: Apparantly, OOtS-verse Goblins are medium-sized creatures, as Redcloak is taller than Belkar, and about as tall as Roy. He has a red cloak, but I don't know beyond that if he wears armor or if that's just normal clothes. Also unsure of his weapon, if any.
Never seen armed, and probably doesn't care to wear an armour. We don't see him in melee combat often (other that magic duels).

Laurentio

Remirach
2008-05-22, 08:48 AM
According to SoD Redcloak IS wearing armor. It's part of a punchline, ("they call me Redcloak" "really, why?" "...because I wear black armor") but it works.

factotum
2008-05-22, 09:34 AM
According to SoD Redcloak IS wearing armor. It's part of a punchline, ("they call me Redcloak" "really, why?" "...because I wear black armor") but it works.

That doesn't actually mean he DOES wear black armour--it's just a sarcastic response to someone not noticing he's wearing a red cloak! He could just have easily have said, "Because I wear pink dresses" and it would have been the same joke.

Remirach
2008-05-22, 09:40 AM
That doesn't actually mean he DOES wear black armour--it's just a sarcastic response to someone not noticing he's wearing a red cloak! He could just have easily have said, "Because I wear pink dresses" and it would have been the same joke.
If he'd said THAT, I think the MitD would have replied with "well, I guess everyone has their hobbies."

It just makes more sense to me to deflect the "why [are you called Redcloak]" question with a response about something else he was wearing. We also see several goblins in the dungeon with that similar black square of clothing who also wield axes, so it would make sense for it to be generic goblin armor. Right-Eye the rogue is dressed differently.

bahamut920
2008-05-22, 12:42 PM
I don't think Elan is wearing armor at this point. Remember, he never retrieved his old equipment after he escaped from prison, and the only gift he received from Captain Scoundrel was the magical rapier. He could have picked some up in Azure City before it was invaded, but I don't think it would fit the flavor of his new Dashing Swordsman PrC. He probably gets Charisma to AC if he's not wearing any armor, and maybe a dodge bonus as well.

Rockphed
2008-05-22, 09:56 PM
He probably gets Charisma to AC if he's not wearing any armor, and maybe a dodge bonus as well.

Charisma AS a Dodge bonus to AC! :smallbiggrin:

Chronos
2008-05-22, 10:31 PM
it stands to reason she uses a shortbow, as rogues are not automatically proficient with the longbow, and she needs those feat slots for manyshot and so forth.It stands to reason, but it doesn't appear to be correct. Second page, second panel (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0454.html), she refers to "longbow range". The fact that she's using a longbow instead of a shortbow for some reason has fueled several of the theories on Haley: It's not worth spending a feat on, so folks have speculated on several scenarios where she wouldn't have needed to take a feat.

He may use either Halfing-sized Daggers (as joked about in the first comic) or Halfling-sized shortswords (human sized daggers) I don't know which.I don't see any good argument for them being halfling-sized shortswords. He often throws them, and short swords aren't easily thrown, while human-scale weapons would give him a hefty penalty.

V has no weapons that I know of.I've heard that the game has a reference to V's "seldom-used quarterstaff". E also may or may not have a Staff of Pies Alteration (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/Incentives.html).

Szilard
2008-05-22, 10:37 PM
Xykon and Roy both wear blue, not purple...:smallconfused:

Degausser
2008-05-23, 08:31 AM
Xykon and Roy both wear blue, not purple...:smallconfused:

Yeah, depends on what computer you view the comic on. Different monitors and settings and such. Yeah, though I just remembered that Roy at one point refered to himself as the 'Azure' Warrior (BEFORE the Azure city story arcs.)

So, I don't have my scanner working yet, but I have:

Roy, in full plate, (Sans gloves or a helmet) with the Greenhilt Family sword.

Haley, in leathers, with a shortbow (I'll change it to a longbow when I can, or draw a new version)

Elan, in a white shirt and Vest, with a cutlass/rapier . . . thing. I, apparantly, can't draw Rapiers too well.

Durkon, in full plate, with warhammer and shield (scared of trees in the picture too.)

An Androgonus V in Red robes with a cape, and a ring of wizardry!

Belkar, with two weapons that could be daggers or shortswords (I STILL don't see how Belkar can do so much damage using 1d3 daggers . . .)

ALSO, I'm re-drawing somewhat-memorable scenes from the comic. These scenes are single-character only, but I'm taking suggestions.

1)Roy climbing Mt. Celista, with Roy's Archon 'cheering' him on.

2)Belkar's famous 'leprosy' accident when he was disguised as a member of the Saphire Guard.

keilyn
2008-05-23, 09:19 AM
As far as Belkar's daggers going damage- don't forget not only does he add his strength (which we don't know the value of yet- I've DMed in a group with a halfling barbarian with a strength of 24 before), but there are also feats that allow you to, say, also add your Int. to the damage just for knowing the right place to hit. They also may be magical, who knows. Bottom line though, it's a fantasy comic, and if Rich wanted to say that Belkar's daggers do 6D10+19 Wounding, then they do.

DreadSpoon
2008-05-23, 11:04 AM
The OOtS game mentions that the purple stuff is actually plate mail (most likely magical. I don't think medieval Europe had ways of constructing purple plate, from scratch.)

I'd argue against it being plate on account of everyone ripping on "Sir Clanksalot" (Durkon) but nobody makes any comments about Roy's armor. Roy is quite likely wearing something considerably lighter. Like, say, chain underneath a blue/purple tunic or tabbard.

Degausser
2008-05-23, 09:22 PM
I'd argue against it being plate on account of everyone ripping on "Sir Clanksalot" (Durkon) but nobody makes any comments about Roy's armor. Roy is quite likely wearing something considerably lighter. Like, say, chain underneath a blue/purple tunic or tabbard.

Or any of the following could be possible:

He's got a higher Dex bonus than Durkon

He's wearing Breast Plate

He's wearing Mithril Plate Mail (reduced AC penalties)

His armor gives a bonus to move silently.

SPoD
2008-05-24, 05:38 AM
In order to use some of her Monk abilities, Miko would need to be wearing at least light armor. But the shoulder pads are usually the OOTS sign for medium or heavy armor, so I would guess that she's wearing something like a mithril breastplate: heavy looking, but easy to move in.

As mentioned, I picture Roy wearing a tabbard over his breastplate or plate mail. Whatever it is, it's affords him a better Move Silently check than Durkon.

There's no real reason to bend over backwards to assume that Redcloak isn't wearing black armor when he implies that he is. It makes more sense than a cleric not wearing any armor. Since it's black, maybe it's something like an adamantine breastplate?

Elan almost certainly needed to give up armor to access his new prestige class abilities. Those are normal clothes he's wearing; note that Julio Scoundrel, who has had time to equip himself however he wishes, also wears no armor.

kpenguin
2008-05-24, 09:18 AM

Indeed.

Furthermore, Roy consistently carries Durkon when they have to run from something. Not only is this a testament to Roy's high strength score (carrying a fully armored dwarf and running isn't easy), it also implies that Roy runs faster than Durkon and thus must carry Durkon in order for both to escape. Even though they both have the same move speed in heavy/medium armor (assuming Roy wears something that heavy), if Roy is wearing medium armor than he will be a able to run quite a bit faster than durkon.

Or he took the Run feat.

Degausser
2008-05-24, 05:15 PM
Yeah. I've assumed he's wearing Mithril plate mail, or some plate mail enchanted to not be such an encombernance (I don't know of any enchantments off hand, do any of you?

Miko wearing Mithril Breastplat makes sense.

Though it's not specifically stated, Elan getting charismatic strike AND charisma to AC is not out-of-the-question, as long as it requires him to have no armor.

So, any requests for a scene that you'd like re-created? (preferably one that only involves one character.) Like I said, I've got Roy Climbing Mt. Celista, and Belkar in the hilarious "Leprocy . . . what?" situation. I'm thinking Varsuvious casting his enhanced scrying spell would also be a good pic.

Spiryt
2008-05-24, 05:51 PM
As for Roy's armor - my little research that Azure like color plates where possible to make - it required using buffalo's hides somehow... Unfortunately, up to now I don't have details.

But considering it, I would go for blue currais.

Although I also think that Roy's just wearing plate elements on legs and arms, and his torso is protected by mail covered with somethingblue or blue brigandine.

Remirach
2008-05-25, 02:00 AM
There's no real reason to bend over backwards to assume that Redcloak isn't wearing black armor when he implies that he is. It makes more sense than a cleric not wearing any armor. Since it's black, maybe it's something like an adamantine breastplate?.

+everything else

Is it too late to nominate you for resident saint of brevity in the playground? You're freaking awesome at summing up arguments into a single sentence or two.