PDA

View Full Version : Can I get some help with a skill monkey/heal bot(for now) cleric build?

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-05-22, 09:19 PM
He's not at all a combat creature, and I have no idea what else to buy. I'm looking to nab Nightsticks, but since my books are half a country away I can't look up their cost and effects. :smallfrown: Here's what I've got so far:

Name: Bruce “Flying Fox” Wax
Race: Human
Class: Ninja 1 / Cloistered Cleric 4 (NG)
Height: 124
Weight: 5”
Hair: Black
Skin: Fair
Eyes: Brown
Size: Medium

Attributes:
Str: 8 / -1
Dex: 10 / +0
Con: 10 / +0
Int: 14 / +2
Wis: 19 / +4
Cha: 14 / +2
Languages: Common, Abyssal, Celestial, and Infernal

Initiative: -6
HP: 36
AC: 10 + 0 Dex + 0 AR + 4 = 14
Attack: 2 BAB - 1 Str +0 (– 2 melee) = +1(-1)

Saves: (Base + Mod + Misc)
Fort: 2 + 0 - 1 = 1
Ref: 3 + 0 - 1 = 2
Will: 4 + 4 + 2(4) = 10(12)

Speed:
Land: 30

Skills (Rank + Mod + Misc):
Autohypnosis: 8 + 4 + 2 = 14
Balance: 5 + 0 + 2 = 7
Concentration: 8 + 0 + 0 = 8
Diplomacy: 8 + 2 + 4 = 14
Disable Device: 8 + 2 + 2 (tools) = 10
Jump: 5 + 0 + 2 = 7
Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty): 5 + 2 + 0 = 7
Open Lock: 8 + 2 + 2 (tools) = 10
Search: 8 + 4 + 0 = 12
Sense Motive: 5 + 4 + 0 = 9
Spot: 8 + 4 + 0 = 12
Tumble: 8 + 0 + 2 = 10

Attack:
Unarmed Attack: +1, Damage: 1d4-1 subdual 20x2, non-proficient

Class Features:
1: Ninja 1: AC Bonus: When Bruce is unarmored, unencumbered, and not immobilized, he adds his Wisdom bonus (if any) to his Armor Class against all forms of attack, even touch attacks.
1: Ninja 1: Ki Power: Bruce has a ki pool of 1/2 his Ninja level (rounded up) + his Wisdom modifier. As long as he keeps at least some ki in reserve, he also gains a +2 bonus on his Will saves.
1: Ninja 1: Sudden Strike: Bruce can deal an extra 1d6 damage to any foe who is denied their Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any). (Only within 30 feet with ranged attacks.)
1: Ninja 1: Trapfinding: Bruce can use the Search skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20. Finding a non-magical trap has a DC of at least 20, or higher if it is well hidden. Finding a magic trap has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it. Bruce can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic traps. A magic trap generally has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it. If Bruce beats a trap’s DC by 10 or more with a Disable Device check he can study it, figure out how it works, and bypass it (with his party) without disarming it.
2: Cleric 1: Aura (Ex): Bruce has a strong Chaotic Good aura.
2: Cleric 1: (Bardic) Knack: Bruce may use ½ his class level (rounded up), instead of his ranks, when making skill checks (even he has no ranks in the skill). However, if he has no ranks in a skill that cannot be used untrained, he cannot use this ability with the skill.
2: Cleric 1: Spontaneous Domain Casting (Magic): Bruce can “lose” a prepared spell to cast any spell of the same level, or lower, from his Magic domain list. When preparing spells, he can replace any number of domain spells with cure spells of the same level.
2: Cleric 1: Turn Undead: 3 + 4 (extra turning) + 2 (Cha) times per day.

Traits:
Detached: +1 bonus on will saves, -1 penalty on Reflex saves.
Plucky: +1 bonus on Will saves, -1 penalty on Fortitude saves.

Flaws:
Shaky: -2 penalty on all ranged attack rolls.
Unreactive: -6 penalty on initiative checks.

Feats:
1: Able Learner
1: Extend Spell: +1 to double duration
1: Nymph’s Kiss: +1 skill point/level
1: Persistent Spell: +6 LA to grant 24-hour duration
2: Extra Turning: 4 additional turn attempts (Undeath Domain)
3: Divine Persistent Spell: Spend (1 + 6) turn attempts, instead of increasing the level of the spell, in order to give it a 24-hour duration.
[6: Jack-of-All-Trades: Use any skill untrained.]
[9: Customize Domain (Magic): You may permanently alter the Magic domain spell list to any cleric spell 1 level lower than the slots themselves.]

Equipment:
Periapt of Wisdom +2: 4000gp
Ring of Sustenance: 2500gp (Do not need to eat or drink, rested in 2 hours.)
Thieves’ Tools, Masterwork (2 lbs): 100gp
Spell-book (3 lbs):
Holy Symbol, Wood:
Clothing: dark gray monk’s outfit with a hood and mask
6400gp

Carrying Capacity:
Current Load: 26 lbs.
Light Load: 276 lbs.
Medium Load: 27-53 lbs.
Heavy Load: 54-80 lbs.
Pushing/Pulling: 400 lbs.

Domains:
Knowledge
Magic
Undeath

Spells:
0: 5
5 Cure Minor Wounds
1: 4 + 1
3 Lesser Vigor (Fast Healing 1 for 15 rounds)
1 (Divine) Vigor, Lesser (Fast Healing 1 for 24 hours)
1 (Domain) Cure Light Wounds
(Spontaneous Cure Light Wounds)
2: 3 + 1
3 (Extended) Vigor, Lesser (Fast Healing 1 for 30 rounds)
1 Domain Cure Moderate Wounds
(Spontaneous Cure Moderate Wounds)
[Cleric 5: 3: 2 + 1]

Jack_Simth
2008-05-22, 09:28 PM
Unless you're grabbing the Ninja level for the Sudden Strike or Trapfinding, I'd suggest dropping that in favor of picking up a Monk's Belt (which basically does the AC thing). You don't really want to lose caster levels.

As long as you're going the Heal Bot and the Persistent Spell route, look up Mass Lesser Vigor - fast healing 1 for the entire party all day.

Eldariel
2008-05-22, 09:42 PM
What can you work with? Your stat spread is going to be problematic (you really, really need some Constitution since you're going to be present in combats whether you participate or not), you really shouldn't pick Traits that weaken your weaker saves to improve the one that's already incredible and -6 to Initiative would probably just be better off as -2 to Melee seeing that you aren't a combatant.

If it's all up for modifications, I'd drop the Ninja-level for a Cloistered Cleric-level and pick up the Kobold-domain and maybe pick up Trickery- or Dragon-domains too (depending on which skills you want) - should be no problem seeing that it appears you're serving an ideal. That'd allow you to derive most skills you want directly from Cleric-levels. You could take 6th level Ruathar, which gives full casting progression and Spot, Listen and Survival (among others) as class skills. That'd give you a very decent selection without losing any caster levels (it's as important to a healer as to anyone; the earlier you get Heal, the better); later on Contemplative could potentially pick up the Domain you missed and you'd have a full array of social, dungeon and wilderness skills.

By the way, how exactly do you get Autohypnosis as a class skill? Able Learner doesn't increase the max. ranks you can take and none of your classes, domains or indeed race seems to have it in class.

Oh yeah, maybe go Vow of Poverty>Vow of Non-Violence/Peace or something of the sort? If you aren't going to be fighting, it seems only logical to actually make it into a mechanical effect too.

monty
2008-05-22, 09:51 PM
Oh yeah, maybe go Vow of Poverty>Vow of Non-Violence/Peace or something of the sort? If you aren't going to be fighting, it seems only logical to actually make it into a mechanical effect too.

I second this. If you're not planning on hitting things with sticks or shooting them with magic, there's almost no real penalty to the vows (except for Poverty, but I don't find it as underpowered as most people think, so that's ok). Also, the combined armor bonuses will make you nearly untouchable.

Chronos
2008-05-22, 09:57 PM
Unless you're grabbing the Ninja level for the Sudden Strike or Trapfinding, I'd suggest dropping that in favor of picking up a Monk's Belt (which basically does the AC thing). You don't really want to lose caster levels.It looks to me like he's getting several things from that ninja level: Trapfinding, many important skillmonkey skills in-class, and the wis to AC. The first two, it's essential for his character concept that he get them somehow, and the last, while not essential, is nice icing on the cake (and presumably the reason why he used Ninja instead of Rogue).

I think it might even be enough to justify the loss of a caster level. With that one ninja level and Able Learner, he's going to be at essentially full effectiveness in the skillmonkey role, so long as he always stays in classes with 6 or more skill points. So he's basically trading one level of spellcasting for N levels of roguery (where N = character level).

Curmudgeon
2008-05-23, 01:55 AM
To beef up the skill monkey part, you'd be better off starting with Rogue rather than Ninja. The Monk's Belt is still a good idea.

Eldariel
2008-05-23, 01:57 AM
There're 2 rational ways:
-Keep the Ninja-level
-Drop it for a Cleric-level, switch a domain to Kobold, buy a Monk's Belt

Anything else is losing too much for too little gain; Ninja-level gives the Wis to AC inherently while providing a good skill list, so it's better than the alternatives, even the Factotum.

Chronos
2008-05-23, 11:48 AM
OK, in the schmulti-classing thread, I'm one of the ones defending level dips and such, but even I have trouble accepting the concept of a human who worships the ideals of kobold-ness, while being almost like family to the elves.

Eldariel
2008-05-23, 12:05 PM
OK, in the schmulti-classing thread, I'm one of the ones defending level dips and such, but even I have trouble accepting the concept of a human who worships the ideals of kobold-ness, while being almost like family to the elves.

Humans are the versatile ones. What better show of versatility than worshipping everyone? Also, being a Kobold-protector and having saved an Elven Village needs necessarily have nothing to do with each other. Or you could just reflavour the Kobold-domain into Trap/Dungeon-domain or something, since that's effectively what it is.

Telonius
2008-05-23, 12:06 PM
Regarding nightsticks: 7500gp, gives you extra Turning attempts. Owning more than one carries the DM Thunderbolt penalty in most campaigns.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-05-23, 03:54 PM
Jack:
1. no, yes, and I know
2. That's a level 3 spell right? It's what I was planning on doing when I leveled up. That way, I could switch out the prepared lower level heals for utility spells.

Eldariel:
Whatever point buy allows for the points I have listed, is what's allowed. How would you suggest placed the stats in order to get some Con? I'm not sure how important the Int score is if I do not get auto-hypno from Able Learner (I don't have access to my books AND I'm working against two kinds of accident induced amnesia >_>), Wis 20 (at ECL8) will meet my minimum for casting lvl 9 spells plus it gives me a couple bonus spells and a great Will save. Cha, is for turning and generally being a face, though I suppose those can be patched up with a purchase or two... You're right about the feats and traits. I don't know what I was thining.

I gotta use the ninja level for trapfinding and Wis to AC (the +2 to Will saves is nice) since the magic domain makes it so I do not need UMD AND it can be twinked at ECL 9 to whatever I want it to be. Undeath gives me the ability to DMM spells because of the extra turn attempts. Do these PrCs have skills at 6 per level? If not, would that not switch the focus to casting and less towards skills?

I used Crytal Keep for figuring stuff out since my books are currently have a country away ATM. I thought it made all skills class skills. I figured it was a bit overpowered, but shrugged it off as another shining example of Wizards' ineptitude when it comes to balance.

I hadn't even thought of the Vows. I'll seriously look into that. By the by, what DOES Able Learner do? I mean, if it doesn't make skills class skills, I'd be better off leaving some of these skills to the tender loving care of Jack-of-All-Trades and Knack. >_<

monty:
Peace and non-violence I can see, but I dunno about Poverty. Again, I'll have to look it up.

chronos:
All on the head, accross the board. My problem stems from having racked up multiple skull fractures and boggling my gray matter so much that my grasp of the rules has taken of a beating. :smallannoyed:

Curmudgeon:
If I did that, I'd not be free to explore Poverty.

Telonius:
Thank you for the 411. Though, how many turn attempts does it grant? I have a very open minded DM. If he sees the only reason I'm spamming DMM is to make the party stronger, as opposed to pimping myself out with buffs, everyone will enjoy themselves. Besides, this is a Ravenloft game and I've never played in the setting. I'm paranoid.

Telonius
2008-05-23, 03:58 PM
4/day, just like the Extra Turning feat. (And I hope your brain feels better soon!)

Kioran
2008-05-23, 04:01 PM
Especially at low levels, Augment Healing is an amazing feat for a dedicated Healbot. There´s also that ceremony feat in the PHB2 that let´s you anoint people so they heal two additional HP per poke. Veeeeery good, especially of you need to break out the wand of CLW. Anyway, that other feat that adds +2 per die rolled for a turning attempt is crappy. Sacred Healing is a lot better if you have loads of charisma. A staple for Paladins. Healing domain and Shining example of disenfranchised Healb.....erm Radiant servant of Pelor are also awesome if you actually want to healbot.
That´s the part about the Healbot. If you´re concerned about hard-core optimization, you´re still not going to want to play him/her.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-05-23, 04:09 PM
Telonius:
Thanks again, and me too. Waking up in the hospital, and not have any memories of life prior to that moment, was a nightmarish feeling when combined with the fact that I felt there WAS a life prior. So... I've gotten a lot better since. Thanks for the well wish. :smallbiggrin:

Kioran:
I'll give the feat a look, anything that ups my ability to up party survivability through healing, buffs, and skills is highly important.

Chronos
2008-05-23, 04:25 PM
There are two limitations to a cross-class skill: First, you can only buy a half a rank per point, and second, your maximum rank in a cross-class skill is half of your maximum rank in a class skill. Able Learner removes the first restriction, but not the second. Meanwhile, having a skill as a class skill for even one level of any class removes the second restriction, but not the first. So if you have Able Learner, then everything that appears on the Ninja list or the Cloistered Cleric list (or anything that appears on the list of any other class you ever take) will effectively be a class skill for you forever, after that point. Autohypnosis is not on any of your class skill lists, though, so while you can buy ranks in it at the normal cost, your maximum rank will still be limited (so at 3rd level, for instance, since you can have 6 ranks in a class skill, you can only have 3 ranks in Autohypnosis. One common trick is to get Able Learner and take a level of Factotum: The factotum has all skills on his class skill list, so combined with Able Learner, the net effect is that all skills are effectively class skills for you forever.

Back to specific advice for your character, another good feat for a healbot is the Touch of Healing reserve feat. Basically, as long as you have a healing spell available in reserve, you can (slowly, so it's not too great in combat) heal anyone up to half of their maximum, for free.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-05-24, 04:13 PM
Version 2: (I hope I'm on the right track here.)

Name: Bruce “Flying Fox” Wax
Class: Martial Rogue 1 / Cloistered Cleric 4 (NG)
Hair: Black

Attributes:
Str: 8 / -1
Con: 12 / +1
Int: 13 / +1
Wis: 14 / +2
Cha: 16 / +3
Languages: Common and Abyssal

Initiative: 0
HP: 35
AC: 10 + 0 Dex + 5 AR + 2 (unarmored) = 15 (+6 fighting defensively, +7 full defense)
Attack: 2 BAB - 1 Str - 2 = -1

Fort: 2 + 1 +0 = 3
Ref: 3 + 0 +0 = 3
Will: 4 + 2 + [-1 vs fear] = 6(5)

Speed:

Concentration: 8 + 1 + 0 = 9
Diplomacy: 8 + 3 + 7 = 18
Disable Device: 8 + 1 + 2 (tools) = 11
Disguise: 0 + 1 + 2 = 3
Heal: 8 + 2 + 2 = 12
Hide: 8 + 0 + 0 = 8
Intimidate: 0 + 3 + 0 = 3
Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty): 1 + 1 + 0 = 2
Open Lock: 8 + 1 + 2 (tools) = 11
Search: 8 + 2 + 0 = 10
Sense Motive: 2 + 2 + 0 = 7
Slight of Hand: 0 + 0 + 2 = 2
Spot: 8 + 2 + 0 = 10
Tumble: 8 + 0 + 2 = 10

Attack:
Morningstar: -1 1d8-1 20×2 (bludgeoning and piercing)
Unarmed Attack: -1, Damage: 1d3-1 20x2 (bludgeoning, non-proficient)

Class Features:
1: Rogue 1: Trapfinding: Bruce can use the Search skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20. Finding a non-magical trap has a DC of at least 20, or higher if it is well hidden. Finding a magic trap has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it. Bruce can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic traps. A magic trap generally has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it. If Bruce beats a trap’s DC by 10 or more with a Disable Device check he can study it, figure out how it works, and bypass it (with his party) without disarming it.
2: Cleric 1: Aura (Ex): Bruce has a strong Chaotic Good aura.
2: Cleric 1: (Bardic) Knack: Bruce may use ½ his class level (rounded up), instead of his ranks, when making skill checks (even he has no ranks in the skill). However, if he has no ranks in a skill that cannot be used untrained, he cannot use this ability with the skill.
2: Cleric 1: Spontaneous Domain Casting (Magic): Bruce can “lose” a prepared spell to cast any spell of the same level, or lower, from his Magic domain list. When preparing spells, he can replace any number of domain spells with cure spells of the same level.
2: Cleric 1: Turn Undead: 3 + 8 (Extra Turning + Nightstick) + 3 (Cha) times per day.

Traits:
Cautious: +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class whenever you fight defensively or take the total defense action and a –1 on saving throws against fear effects.
Polite: +1 bonus on Diplomacy checks, -2 penalty on Intimidate checks.

Flaws:
Noncombatant: -2 penalty on all melee attack rolls.

Feats:
1: Able Learner
1: Combat Expertise
1: Extend Spell: +1 to double duration
1: Nymph’s Kiss: +1 skill point/level
1: Persistent Spell: +6 LA to grant 24-hour duration
2: Extra Turning: 4 additional turn attempts (Undeath Domain)
3: Divine Persistent Spell: Spend (1 + 6) turn attempts, instead of increasing the level of the spell, in order to give it a 24-hour duration.
[6: Jack-of-All-Trades: Use any skill untrained.]
[9: Customize Domain (Magic): You may permanently alter the Magic domain spell list to any cleric spell 1 level lower than the slots themselves.]

Equipment:
Nightstick: 7500gp (4 additional turning attempts/day.)
Ring of Sustenance: 2500gp (Do not need to eat or drink, rested in 2 hours.)
Masterwork Chain Shirt (25 lbs): 250gp (+4 AC, +4 Dex, –1 check penalty)
Masterwork Buckler (5 lbs): 165gp (+1 AC)
Healer’s Kit (1lbs): 50gp
Morningstar (6 lbs): 8 gp (bludgeoning and piercing)
Spell-book (3 lbs):
Holy Symbol, Wood:
2427gp

Carrying Capacity:
Current Load: 36 lbs.
Light Load: 276 lbs.
Medium Load: 27-53 lbs.
Heavy Load: 54-80 lbs.
Pushing/Pulling: 400 lbs.

Domains:
Knowledge
Magic
Undeath

Spells:
5 Cure Minor Wounds
3 Resurgence (touch range, new saving throw vs. active effect)
1 (Divine) Vigor, Lesser (Fast Healing 1 for 24 hours)
1 (Domain) Cure Light Wounds
(Spontaneous Cure Light Wounds)
1 (Divine) Conjure Ice Beast II (3 ice beast wolves, medium constructs [cold] 36 HP, 18 AC, saves: fort 0 ref 2 will 0, +2 d6+1 bite, Frigid Touch (Ex): + 1d6 cold damage to natural weapons, dark vision 60 feet, low light vision, weapon focus: bite
2 Restoration, Lesser (end an attribute penalty effect, or restore 1d4 attribute damage)
1 Domain Cure Moderate Wounds
(Spontaneous Cure Moderate Wounds)
[6: Cleric 5: 3: 1 + 1]

bigbaddragon
2008-05-24, 07:11 PM
First of all best wishes to you regarding your recovery, hope you get better soon :smallsmile:

To the character:
- Unless I missed something your base fortitude save is to low, it should be 4 because Cloistered Cleric's saves progression remains the same as of "base" Cleric (you still have fortitude and will as good saves).

- I don't know exactly what Martial Rogue is but from what you've written it seems to me that it grants you a feat(s) and looses Sneak Attack. Perhaps it would be better to just keep with plain old Rogue since at level 5 you could qualify for Shadowbane Stalker PrC from Complete Adventurer (sneak attack +1d6 required) which seems to fit your desired purposes perfectly. It combines roguery and divine spellcasting (over 10 levels you loose 2 caster levels though), gives bonuses to Sense Motive and Search (up to +6 competence bonuses, which won't stack with most items which is crappy), ability to burn spells to improve your stealth abilities, ability to burn spells to gain sacred bonus to AC, sneak attack +3d6, good reflex and will saves, 6 skill points per level and Detect Evil at will at first level. You have to be LG to enter the PrC.

- You have some money left which you could use to get Cloak of Resistance +1 (1000 gp) to improve you saves and a wand of Lesser Vigor (750 gp). I see that you want to persist LV at the moment but later on you'll have better spells to persist so wand of LV won't be a bad investment.

- I would swap charisma and wisdom, wisdom is your most important stat after all.

- Cloistered Clerics gain Lore which is identical to Bardic Knowledge. If you don't want/need this check with your DM if he'll allow Lore Song alternative class feature for Bards in Dungeonscape. It gives you the ability to add +4 insight bonus on a single attack, check or save as immediate action. This is usable once per day + once more at each odd numbered level.

- Unless its crucial to you drop Jack of all Trades and grab something better (another Extra Turn Undead for example, you will need lots of those to persist all those spells).

- Your HP is maxed. Is this a lucky rolling on your part or DM's gift or an oversight? If the latest Divine Vigor from Complete Warrior is a good way to add some temporary HP (2 per character level) and untyped +10 ft to your base land speed for charisma modifier minutes if you are willing to spend a Turn Undead attempt.

Hope this helped.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-05-24, 07:40 PM
bigbaddragon:
1: No kidding? I must have misread that. :smallbiggrin:

2. I'll give the PrC a look. I hadn't considered that at all.

3. I like the cloak idea (still concerned that Ravenloft is ToH lite), but I've never been a fan of non-eternal wands. They've always felt like lost money once the charges are spent.

4. I was going to focus on Wis from there on out, on the grounds that the current Cha is needed for two DMM Persists. It was a tough call that made me quite sad.

5. Seeing as how I'm trying to avoid combat and focus on skills and ultility spells, I figured Knack was a better option for making sure that someone in the party could do what was needed.

6. I am seriously starting to consider that option, but I dunno if that will end up shooting me in the foot with untrained skills and Knack though. >_<

7. This group usually plays with max HP for all PCs, NPCs, and encounters.

It's more good food for thought, and I'd be interested to see your responses. Thanks for sharing what you have so far guys.

bigbaddragon
2008-05-24, 08:27 PM
bigbaddragon:
1: No kidding? I must have misread that. :smallbiggrin:

No kidding at all (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantcharacterclasses.htm) :smallwink:

3. I like the cloak idea (still concerned that Ravenloft is ToH lite), but I've never been a fan of non-eternal wands. They've always felt like lost money once the charges are spent.

If your DM allows eternal wands than hell yeah. If not it still wouldn't be that much of a waste because wands add to your versatility plus there will be times you'll need to spend more resources you have. Also in our campaigns we are allowed to buy partially spent wands with 10-20 charges left which puts us with wide arsenal of spells at our disposal 24-7.

I see you are spending ranks in Heal skill. To make the best of it take a look at Healing Lorecall spell (level 2 spell) from Complete Adventurer. Its min/level duration and lets you remove some conditions when casting a healing spell - if you have 5 ranks you can remove dazed, dazzled or fatigued and if you have 10 ranks you can remove exhausted, nauseated or sickened conditions in addition to normal spell effects.

Another nice thing would be to put at least 1 rank in as many knowledge skills as you can and use Lore of the Goods spell from Complete Champion. The spell grants you +5 insight bonus to all knowledge checks plus if you worship a deity which grants access to Knowledge domain the bonus is +10.

In the end all that matters is that you have fun with your character so don't worry to much and just grab what you like the most.

Cheers and goodnight.

greenknight
2008-05-24, 08:52 PM
Since you're willing to lose a caster level and you want Autohypnosis as a class skill, why not try Human Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#humanParagon)? Start as Cloistered Cleric with the Able Learner feat, then take three levels of Human Paragon. That allows you to designate any 10 skills you want as class skills (and with Able Learner, you should nominate skills which aren't class skills for a Cloistered Cleric), gives you another bonus Feat and allows you to boost your Wisdom by 2. The only thing you miss out on is Trapfinding, and you can just cast Find Traps (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/findTraps.htm) for that. Since you should have Search as a class skill, the insight bonus from Find Traps should make you much better than a Rogue of the same level. And yes, you can DMM Find Traps if you want to.

cupkeyk
2008-05-24, 09:16 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a

Don't lose the caster level. Get the kobold domain. It nets you trapfinding. Be a kobold too, since they are better than humans. LOLz. A kobold cloistered cleric with trickery and kobold (and knowledge) as domains will have search, disable device, hide, disguise, bluff, decipher script, speak language, and all knowledge skills, six skill points per level.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-05-25, 03:01 PM
bigbaddragon:
1: Yeah... gonna have to fix that. Thanks for the save.
2.1: All things are allowed until they ruin the group's enjoyment of the game.
2.2: I like the sound of that spell. It'll make those orisons a lot more veratile and effective.
2.3: I won't be getting CC for a couple weeks yet, at the earliest. Jack-of-All-Trades + that spell equates to good times though.
2.4: I'm all about having fun, but I also like having the numbers back my awkward character concepts.

greenknight:
I'm not too broken up over the loss of auto-hypno, I just know that it's one of those rare non-dex skills that actually does something worthwhile in combat. Human paragon would be tempting, were it not for that blast 4 + Int skills bit. I'll not allow myself to go lower than 6 because I'm a bit obsessed with the skill theme. The idea of eating up a DMM Peristant on trapfinding when I can get it, and a boatload of skills, for free... seems like a misuse of assets. Now, if the skill and trapfinding bit tied into the class, it'd be perfect!

cupkeyk:
O_o

Bloody Pun-spawned dragon afterbirths... Now I'm torn between human and kobold.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-05-26, 08:59 PM
Version 3:

Name: Bruce Wax
Class: Cloistered Cleric 6 (NG)
Hair: Brown

Attributes:
Str: 10 / +0
Con: 12 / +1
Int: 12 / +1
Wis: 16 / +3
Cha: 14 / +2
Languages: Abyssal, Celestial, Common, Draconic, Infernal, Sylvan, and Undercommon

Initiative: 0
HP: 42
AC: 10 + 0 Dex + 5 AR + 2(1 defensive) = 17(18)
Attack: 2 BAB + 0 Str - 2 = 0

Fort: 5 + 1 +0 = 6
Ref: 2 + 0 +0 = 2
Will: 5 + 3 + [-1 vs fear] = 8(7)

Speed:

Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (architecture) (Int), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), Search (Wis), Speak Language, and Spellcraft (Int).
Bluff: 9 + 3 + 0 = 11
Concentration: 9 + 1 + 0 = 9
Diplomacy: 9 + 2 + 4 = 14
Disable Device: 9 + 1 + 2 = 11
Disguise: 0 + 2 + (2 staying in character) = 2(4)
Heal: 9 + 3 + 2 = 13
Hide: 9 + 0 + -2 = 6
Knowledge (nobility and royalty): 5 + 1 + 0 = 6
Search: 9 + 3 + 0 = 11
Slight of Hand: 0 + 0 + (2-2) = 0
Survival: 0 + 3 + (2 tracking) = 3(5)

Attack:
Morningstar: +0 1d8 20×2 bludgeoning and piercing

Class Features:
1: Aura (Ex): Bruce has a strong Good aura.
1: (Bardic) Knack: Bruce may use ½ his class level (rounded up), instead of his ranks, when making skill checks (even he has no ranks in the skill). However, if he has no ranks in a skill that cannot be used untrained, he cannot use this ability with the skill.
1: Spontaneous Healing: Bruce can “lose” a prepared spell to cast a cure spell of the same level or lower.
1: Turn Undead: 3 + 12 (Extra Turningx2 + Nightstick) + 2 (Cha) times per day.
1: Trapfinding: Bruce can use the Search skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20. Finding a non-magical trap has a DC of at least 20, or higher if it is well hidden. Finding a magic trap has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it. Bruce can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic traps. A magic trap generally has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it. If Bruce beats a trap’s DC by 10 or more with a Disable Device check he can study it, figure out how it works, and bypass it (with his party) without disarming it.

Traits:
Cautious: +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class whenever you fight defensively or take the total defense action and a –1 on saving throws against fear effects.
Polite: +1 bonus on Diplomacy checks, -2 penalty on Intimidate checks.

Flaws:
Noncombatant: -2 penalty on all melee attack rolls.

Feats:
1: Extend Spell: +1 to double duration.
1: Extra Turning: 4 additional turn attempts.
1: Persistent Spell: +6 LA to grant 24-hour duration.
1: (Divine) Persistent Spell: Spend (1 + 6) turn attempts, instead of increasing the level of the spell, in order to give it a 24-hour duration.
3: Extra Turning: 4 additional turn attempts.
6: Jack-of-All-Trades: Use any skill untrained.
[9: Extra Turning: 4 additional turn attempts.]

Equipment:
Nightstick: 7500gp (4 additional turning attempts/day.)
Ring of Sustenance: 2500gp (Nourished, 2 hours sleep give the benefits of 8.)
Healing Belt (1 lbs): 750gp (+2 heal, charges to heal 1 2d8, 2 3d8, and 3 4d8)
Darkwood Shield (? lbs): 257gp (+2 shield bonus to AC)
Chain Shirt (25 lbs): 100gp (+4 AC, +4 Dex, –2 check penalty)
Morningstar (6 lbs): 8 gp (bludgeoning and piercing)
Spell-book (3 lbs):
Holy Symbol, Wood:
2815gp

Carrying Capacity:
Current Load: lbs.
Light Load: 33 lbs.
Medium Load: 34-66 lbs.
Heavy Load: 67-100 lbs.
Lift and Drag: 200 lbs.
Pushing/Pulling: 500 lbs.

Domains:
Knowledge
Kobold
Trickery

Spells:
5 Cure Minor Wounds
1 Domain
1 (Divine) Healing Lorecall (Use rank in Heal as caster level for heal spells. Cure spells remove dazed, dazzled, or fatigued from the target. At 10 ranks, it can remove exhausted, nauseated, and sickened.)
1 Domain
3: 2 + 1
1 (Divine) Vigor, Mass Lesser (Range: 20 feet. Grant Fast Healing 1 for 24 hours to (½ caster level) number of allies within a 30-foot area.
1 Domain

I have no idea what else to get for spells and items, but I think the build is mechanically solid. I'm in love with the ability to make ANY skill roll. Any suggestions from this point would be greatly appreciated.

Temp.
2008-05-26, 10:09 PM
I would swap the level 9 feat for Craft Rod.

This will have a good deal more versatility than another Extra Turning and will probably net you more Turn attempts through half-priced Nightsticks and constant Nightstick availablity.

Otherwise, if your DM approves everything, it looks good to me.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-05-27, 02:51 PM
I hadn't thought of that. I've never actually crafted anything in my years of playing. :smallconfused: