PDA

View Full Version : Red Dwarf the Roleplaying Game?

Hugh Bliss
2008-05-22, 11:30 PM
Does anyone actually play this, or owns it, or has heard of it at all?

I've had the base game (without the other stuff you can buy for it) for a while but I never really got around to learning how to play it. I didn't know anyone who wanted to play as well though, either.

Anyway I've never played a roleplaying game and I'm having some confusion with one aspect of the character creation/skills system in it. I don't really want to explain what part's bothering me until I've found people who know the game and understand the system though. My questions tend to be needlessly long-winded so I don't want to waste effort trying to word my question properly to have no response :D

I'm also just interested to know if anyone's played it. It was based on a British scifi sitcom that ran from around the late 80s to the mid 90s, so it isn't really a popular game, as even people who know the sitcom tend not to know the game. So I'd be interested to see if anyone has it or plays it.

The Necroswanso
2008-05-22, 11:33 PM
AAAAAAAAH! IT'S HUGH BLISS!!!!!!!!

Red Dwarf RP? Linky?

Meat Shield
2008-05-22, 11:33 PM
I've never played it but love the show. Without taking one look at the books I am going to say that the game probably has a two drink minimum. And that it would be most fun to play Rimmer.

Roog
2008-05-22, 11:50 PM
Does anyone actually play this, or owns it, or has heard of it at all?

Got the Book, never played it; what do you need to know?

tyckspoon
2008-05-22, 11:56 PM
I've got the base book and the aliens/monsters/etc book. Never played with it, so I haven't had a reason to gain an intimate understanding of it, but I can look stuff up with the best of them.

Without taking one look at the books I am going to say that the game probably has a two drink minimum.

Reasonably accurate; it's a fairly light-hearted and simple system once you understand its basic resolution mechanics. Definitely not the kind of thing you want to try with people who treat RPGs as SRS BSNESS. I suppose I should just say that the books are written much in the tone of the show.

Hugh Bliss
2008-05-23, 06:16 AM
AAAAAAAAH! IT'S HUGH BLISS!!!!!!!!

Hi, I'm Hugh Bliss!

I've never played it but love the show. Without taking one look at the books I am going to say that the game probably has a two drink minimum.

Shame I'm not old enough to drink yet... But the lightheartedness and silliness of it (and the fact that I love Red Dwarf) is what attracts me to the game. And not just the thought of using Morris Dancing to fight evil robots.

Anyway I'm glad I found a few Dwarfers at least... I never managed to find anyone online, I guess I looked in the wrong places.

The question I had (and I think I'm going to copy paste it from when I asked elsewhere, needless to say no response):

I understand if I say, gave my character say, 4 points in Agility and 4 points in Dance, then the target number for Dance related rolls is 8?

Am I right that I can change the Dance skill to Dance (Morris), and that would make the target number for Morris dance related rolls 9 and any other dance 7?

If I'm right then... I don't understand the way the example character sheets are written.

The example character (Monica) built in the book has an Active Games (Pool) skill of 2, so does that add 3 to the target number of Pool related skills and only one to every other Active Game?

SO IN SHORT... On the character sheet why is the Active Games skill written as 2 / 4? It seems to be the same on all the example character stats. I assume the 2 is the Active Games skill, so what's the 4?

I hope it makes sense, I suck at explaining. And forum posting makes me crazy anxious. Haha.

Anywho, I was starting to understand the game till this annoyed me, so I stopped reading any further, which I think is what stopped me in the first place.

The minor hinderance is I know no one who likes Red Dwarf and RPGs in my close proximity... But that doesn't stop me from enjoying making characters and stuff.

tyckspoon
2008-05-23, 11:30 AM
Yeah, you've got it right. The example character just has the modification pre-figured. Her Active Games skill is 3; it's just written as 2/4 because taking a specialization means she'll never actually be using the 3. It'll either be 2 (Non-Pool games) or 4 (playing pool). The values that will be used in game are shown for quicker reference.

Hugh Bliss
2008-05-23, 11:37 AM
Yeah, you've got it right. The example character just has the modification pre-figured. Her Active Games skill is 3; it's just written as 2/4 because taking a specialization means she'll never actually be using the 3. It'll either be 2 (Non-Pool games) or 4 (playing pool). The values that will be used in game are shown for quicker reference.

But I thought her active games skill was 2? The text said her skill playing pool would be 3 and her skill doing whatever else was 1...

Doesn't having an active games skill of 3 mean her total number of skill points spent is 31?

Is this where I'm missing something really badly? :P

tyckspoon
2008-05-23, 11:46 AM
But I thought her active games skill was 2? The text said her skill playing pool would be 3 and her skill doing whatever else was 1...

Doesn't having an active games skill of 3 mean her total number of skill points spent is 31?

Is this where I'm missing something really badly? :P

It's in the next chapter over (uh..hopefully these page numbers are accurate, I don't know if there are multiple printings of the book.) Page 32 has the example section where the normal skill allotment is spent; at that point, she takes Active Games 2 (Pool), giving her effective ratings of Active Games 1/ Pool 3. Then she gets into Chapter 5: Personality and selects a few Liabilities and Behavior Tags, which grant bonus creation points. One of those bonus points was put into Active Games, so she ends up with Active Games 3 (Pool), or Active Games 2/Pool 4. The bar describing that bit is on pg. 35.

Hugh Bliss
2008-05-23, 12:49 PM
It's in the next chapter over (uh..hopefully these page numbers are accurate, I don't know if there are multiple printings of the book.) Page 32 has the example section where the normal skill allotment is spent; at that point, she takes Active Games 2 (Pool), giving her effective ratings of Active Games 1/ Pool 3. Then she gets into Chapter 5: Personality and selects a few Liabilities and Behavior Tags, which grant bonus creation points. One of those bonus points was put into Active Games, so she ends up with Active Games 3 (Pool), or Active Games 2/Pool 4. The bar describing that bit is on pg. 35.

Damnit... How didn't I read that? I feel really stupid now. Anyway I should've known it was just a matter of asking someone to read the book for me and then pointing out which part I forgot to read :P

I obviously didn't read this chapter properly, I missed the part about Liabilities/tags being worth skills too...

Thanks a lot for pointing that out for me. I'm going to go hide in a box.

Now the only thing left is to find some friends...

EDIT:

So I feel triple stupid for not reading half the personality chapter and the character sheet properly. Counting her skill points to 31 was collasally stupid of me. I feel worse now.