PDA

View Full Version : 4e: Sample Combat with pictures

Vortling
2008-05-23, 10:32 AM
I found this thread over on rpg.net Sample combat (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=396180). I found it full of useful information since I haven't played any of the test drives of 4e yet.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-23, 11:55 AM
Thanks for that, was a good read... and.... it looks like D&D to me :smallwink:

Overlard
2008-05-23, 12:43 PM
Wow, it really wasn't that fighter's combat was it?

Interesting that magic missile requires an attack roll now - I wasn't aware of that.

And on a sidenote, I discovered that misspelling rogue gets even more annoying multiple times in a long post. :smallwink:

SamTheCleric
2008-05-23, 12:45 PM
Maybe I should bring my digital camera with me to tonight's session... my first foray into 4e... they're past the first kobold encounter... so I'll be able to give my account of a combat AFTER that from the perspective as the dagger throwin' halfing with a heart of gold. :smallbiggrin:

Edea
2008-05-23, 01:16 PM
Boy, that "Miss...but did a little damage anyway!" mechanic for the Fighter's Reaping Strike seemed to save their asses.

Da King
2008-05-23, 02:47 PM
Looks like that was a really tough challenge. Amusing how fast the rogue took the dragonshield #2 down.

Lapak
2008-05-23, 03:36 PM
Looks like that was a really tough challenge. Amusing how fast the rogue took the dragonshield #2 down.Indeed. They seemed to mean it when they said that the 'Striker' role deals very high single-target damage.

Thanks for the link, Vortling!

Reel On, Love
2008-05-23, 03:40 PM
Dragonshield: "Ha! Now I have y--AUUUGH! Oh, gods, that was my kidney! It... AHHHH! My kidney and... my spleen... are one organ! With HOLES in it! *ded*"

Trog
2008-05-23, 04:09 PM
Was the fire supposed to damage the fighter twice in each round? I think that might be a DM error. Ongoing effects are at the end of the round I thought. Not the beginning and the end. :smallconfused:

ahammer
2008-05-23, 04:17 PM
Was the fire supposed to damage the fighter twice in each round? I think that might be a DM error. Ongoing effects are at the end of the round I thought. Not the beginning and the end. :smallconfused:

I beleave they damage at the beginning and
save to end on the end..

tyckspoon
2008-05-23, 04:18 PM

It didn't damage him twice each round. It looked like the damage happened at the start of the Fighter's initiative. At the end of the round he then makes a save against the effect. That's not to see whether or not he takes damage from it on that round, he already took the damage; he's saving against the next round's damage.

Xefas
2008-05-23, 05:33 PM
Damn, and I was hoping this was going to be a preview of the second season of World of Warcraft: The Stand Alone Complex where Arthas finally finishes charging up his Frostmourne to defeat the cyborg catgirl paladins of the Silver Hand before the Gnomechikoma respawns and gets aggro on him.

But it's just D&D. Oh well.

tyckspoon
2008-05-23, 06:27 PM
Damn, and I was hoping this was going to be a preview of the second season of World of Warcraft: The Stand Alone Complex where Arthas finally finishes charging up his Frostmourne to defeat the cyborg catgirl paladins of the Silver Hand before the Gnomechikoma respawns and gets aggro on him.

But it's just D&D. Oh well.

This non-contributing post bought to you to say: I'd watch it.