PDA

View Full Version : Need help with startings of an Epic character.

Adumbration
2008-05-23, 11:11 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80456

Everybody roll 6d6b5, read from page 98 to 121 in the thing.
30 HD, go wild.

Alright:
- 6d6b5 for stats
- 4,300,000 Gold
- No epic PrC's not in the SRD
- 4-5 characters, 4 more likely
- 30 HD
- Only thing with races is nothing that can breath water. Anything else is fine, though I will not be arguing about LA's.
- Max all hit dice.
- No BoVD or BoED

Also, everyone has Divine Rank 0.

Ok, I may or may not get into this, depending on how many players are actually going in, but I have a character idea that I would like to at least partially fulfill, even if I didn't make it in. There's also the little thing of whether the DM allows what I have in mind, but seeing that this is a very epic campaign, and looking at some of the other characters, I'll try anyway.

I would like to play a ha-naga. You heard me, this little beauty. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/haNaga.htm)

But, as you may perceive, I'm running into a little problem. They're not exactly planned to be player characters, so they haven't listed any ability modifiers, skill points or base attack bonus, which are essential for PCs.

Could someone give me a little pointers on how to derive all the modifiers from the Ha-Naga stat-block?

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-23, 11:18 AM
Stat mods are easy. Just subtract 10 from each stat, then another 1 if it's odd.

Str 27, Dex 38, Con 32, Int 35, Wis 31, Cha 36 becomes
Str +16, Dex +28, Con +22, Int +24, Wis 20, Cha +26

AmberVael
2008-05-23, 11:21 AM
The Ha-Naga is an Abberation with 20 hit dice.
Thus, following from the Abberation type:

3/4 BAB (+15 from 20 HD)

Good Will saves (so, as good saves are 1/2 HD +2, +12 will save. Poor saves are HD / 3, so each of your other saves are +6)

Skill points: 2+int mod per HD, multiplied by four at your first level, as normal.

Now, your stat modifiers are essentially the scores listed, but with 10 or 11 subtracted from them (depending on whether they are even or odd numbers.)
As such: +16 strength, + 28 dex, +22 con, +24 int, +20 wis, and +26 cha.

However, I do add that Ha-Nagas do not have a listed level adjustment and that there is no way to reliably calculate that. My guess is that it would be fairly high...
With 20 HD as well as LA, it might get bad.
Of course, I may be misinterpreting the rules you listed. Do you need to calculate LA in as well?

Armar
2008-05-23, 11:23 AM
The age old trick from Savage Species:
- If the attribute (Dex, for example) is even (2,4,6...), decrease it by ten, this is the modifier. Dexterty 38 -> 38 - 10 = +28
- If the attribute (Str, for example) is odd (1,3,5...), decrease it by eleven, this is the modifier. Strenght 27 -> 27 - 11 = +16

Rest can be found here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#aberrationType (Which you could've found if you follow the link in Ha Naga's statlines 'Aberration' -part.:smallsigh:)

Adumbration
2008-05-23, 11:33 AM
Thanks everyone. :smallsmile:

The way I interpreted it, he only spoke of 30 HD, and later on the thread something about not wanting to argue about LAs - can't remember exactly, but so I deduced that they didn't play a big role. If I'm not completely off, it could be that I'll get class levels as well - but, it would be more than enough for me to just play it as it is.

Really, thank you very, very much.

Adumbration
2008-05-23, 01:16 PM
Hmm. Just one more thing: what skills are "in-class" for ha-naga? Are all cross-class, or are the skills mentioned in the stat-block all inclass?

AmberVael
2008-05-23, 01:37 PM
The skills listed in the stat block are all class skills. Others will be treated as cross class.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-23, 02:45 PM
Just a warning: You won't have epic spell casting, which means you loose.

AmberVael
2008-05-23, 02:53 PM
Show me a rule that says you can lose D&D. :smallyuk:

Okay, seriously, this is really going too far. Sure, there are some classes and choices that are just bad, yes, casting is good. Yes, if abused epic casting can be WAY too good (which, incidentally, requires a dumb DM. If you argue that I'm saying house rules make the game balanced, I point you towards the place where it says epic spells must be approved by the DM. It's just like creating normal spells! They need to be balanced- ask the DM.)

But if people basically come into every thread that has a character that might not be the most powerful choice and say "you're terrible because of this and you'll always be a loser" when they're not even asking for power or build advice, then it's just getting aggravating.

Seriously, back off. Let people play what they want.

KillianHawkeye
2008-05-23, 02:56 PM
Anyway, Ha-Naga already casts as a 21st Level Sorcerer. So if you add a couple more HD or class levels you could take the Epic Spellcasting feat easily.

Adumbration
2008-05-23, 03:12 PM
Well, we're not given any extra XP for making Epic spells, so the choice is either to lose a level or make the spell. And in any case, the only epic spell I saw on a caster was some sort of a Force Dragon Transformation.

Lochar
2008-05-23, 03:16 PM
Or buy a rod of excellent magic to subsume for the XP cost of an epic spell. Which is what I did for two epic spells in that game before I pulled out.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-23, 03:44 PM
Well, we're not given any extra XP for making Epic spells, so the choice is either to lose a level or make the spell. And in any case, the only epic spell I saw on a caster was some sort of a Force Dragon Transformation.

Epic spells don't really cost any XP. Mitigating DC's is fun.

Vael, if I was the DM I wouldn't use the regular epic casting system but his DM is apparently allowing it. If thats the case then people without epic casting will get screwed.

Adumbration
2008-05-24, 02:17 AM
Yay! I can make this character! The DM just told me:

Adumbration: +6 LA, because I love aberrations.

So, I also have 4 character levels I can take. Any suggestions?

Xefas
2008-05-24, 02:30 AM
So, I also have 4 character levels I can take. Any suggestions?

Warblade, maybe? Your initiator level would be 14, I think. Do Racial Hit Dice work with the 1/2 initiator level rule?

That would mean 7th level maneuvers...

Adumbration
2008-05-24, 02:51 AM
Also, what items would you say a ha-naga could wear? An amulet, I would imagine, perhaps a tail-ring? Goggles? Barding?

Also, I just realized, his stats are going to be crazy-good. I'm looking at a 59 on his charisma.

Adumbration
2008-05-24, 11:45 AM
Although a warblade ha-naga might be awesome, I think I'll go with Sandshaper instead. The desert is a nice place for a former monster to live in, and those extra spells are just delicious for a sorceror.

EDIT: My character so far:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=55241