PDA

View Full Version : [4e] The Skills to pay the Bills

Human Paragon 3
2008-05-23, 11:47 AM
Disclaimer: Sorry if the bold text annoys people, but I wanted the build to be apparent without having to read the wall-o-text.

In 4e, skills have been streamlined significantly, to the tune of 17 unique skills. Also, we've seen that skill challenges have been more fleshed out. Social encounters, traps, difusing evil rituals and basically anything you can think of will be under the perview of making multiple successful skill checks. In certain campaigns, skills will be as important as combat, or moreso, and some gaming sessions could reasonably contain multiple skill encounters and no combat.

Thus, it stands that in order to be as useful as possible as often as possible, you will want your character to be as skilled as possible. Which means trained.

So here's a pre-mature skill-oriented build.

First, Rogue gets the most trained skills out of the box with four (plus stealth and thievery, so SIX). Incidentally, those two skills will be extremely useful in a variety of situations, so any build will want them if possible.

Next, you're going to want to be human for an extra trained skill.

You'll also get an extra feat for being human which you can use to multi-class. Not only will you get another trained skill by doing this, but you'll also get a nifty encounter power. I'd recomend Ranger or Wizard for Nature and Arcana respectively.

For your first level feat, why not take skill training for another trained skill? You can use this to pick up a useful skill that is not associated with your class or multi-class like Healing, History, or Endurance.

That gives you 9 trained skills out of 17 possible at level 1. You'll be compromising your combat abillities somewhat by taking skill training instead of, say, backstabber or action surge, but being able to help your party in any situation will be worth it, IMO. You can continue sinking feats into skill training until you start stepping on the toes of the rest of the party in a significant way, or until you have all skills trained, whatever comes first.

Cybren
2008-05-23, 12:00 PM
There's likely someone else in the party who will have redundancy with those skills. no one likes losing their niche.

Human Paragon 3
2008-05-23, 12:03 PM
This is true, but most skill challenges can be colaborative, like, let's both try to convince the king or let's both try to use our knoweldge of the arcane to end the ritual. I think in may cases your allies will be greatful for the help, especially since you are not going to be as optamized for combat. But your mileage may vary.

wodan46
2008-05-23, 12:05 PM
Skill Training gives +5, but there are other modifiers as well. Better to let the character with high Cha handle diplomacy checks.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-23, 12:07 PM
Not bad... 9 out of 17 is a good chunk.. but I'd say find out what everyone else at the party has as a skill, and then pick up every one that isn't being covered.

I mean... you gotta love the guy who can do it all. :smallbiggrin:

AslanCross
2008-05-23, 12:13 PM
Well, from what I understand (as has been mentioned), everyone in the party can contribute to skill challenges, increasing the possible number of successes. If more than one person can do the same task, it increases the likelihood of the party succeeding in the challenge.

Human Paragon 3
2008-05-23, 12:23 PM
Yup, exactly. Sam and Aslan we are on the same page.

Project_Mayhem
2008-05-23, 01:02 PM
I love the way its not out yet and we're already devising builds

Optimisation for the win!

SamTheCleric
2008-05-23, 01:04 PM
I love the way its not out yet and we're already devising builds

Optimisation for the win!

This is how we roll. :smallcool:

Draz74
2008-05-23, 01:24 PM
I have a feeling that the Train Skill feat will only let you choose class skills, though. (Including class skills of classes that you've multiclassed into.) Too bad ... I wouldn't mind a Rogue that could actually pick up Diplomacy.

Now, what 9 out of 17 would you choose? There's the question.

KillianHawkeye
2008-05-23, 01:37 PM
I have a feeling that the Train Skill feat will only let you choose class skills, though.

That was how it worked in Star Wars Saga Ed. I'm still waiting for the 4e PHB to come out before really learning the rules, though.

Human Paragon 3
2008-05-23, 01:41 PM
Good question. Here's my personal pick:

Rogue 1:

Acrobatics
Bluff
Insight
Streetwise
Stealth
Thievery

Human Bonus Skill:
Perception or Athletics, depending on party make-up

Human Bonus Feat:
Multi-Class into Wizard for Arcana or Ranger for Nature, depending on party make-up

1st level Feat:
Skill training: Dungeoneering, History, or Religion depending on the campaign.
Or, if you can train any skill, not just class or multiclass skills, Healing.

A lot depends on the campaign and the party make-up. Diplomacy or Intimdate may do you better than Insight at level 1. Then again, you'll get a feat at 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10, so you can eventually pick up most skills!

EDIT: Or, and this might sound a little crazy, pick the 9 skills that make the most sense for your character concept/background or the ones you think would be the coolest to have. =)