PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom Hearts 4E d20: Fanfic, The Tabletop RPG Way!

Leliel
2008-05-23, 01:31 PM
Anyway, I've thought long and hard about playing a game in the KH universe, and just after 4E came out, I realized it was the perfect system for such a thing!

The basic idea:

1) Players play as a normal Keyblade wielder, a Dark-using Keyblade wielder, or a Nobody. The Nobodies start out as Dusks, but become more humanlike as they level up, eventually regaining their humanoid forms. As for the difficuilty in playing an emotionless character, I'll leave it undefined as to wether they actually feel emotions or just their memories.

2) They'll also be using normal character classes. With the addition of a Keyblade of course.

3) Most of the enemies have a Heartless template, but there will be some normals and Nobodies as well.

4) Some of the enemies will be using Light-based atttacks as well. Just to screw with the player's heads.

So, is this a good idea? Questions, comments, suggestions?

Bleen
2008-05-23, 10:06 PM
Not enough belts and zippers. All PC's and significant enemies gain Ridiculous Quantity of Belts And Zippers as a bonus feat at level 1.

Waffles
2008-05-23, 10:18 PM
How do you translate "MASH X UNTIL PROMPTED TO MASH TRIANGLE" into D&D?

Maerok
2008-05-23, 10:22 PM
There will be MONKEY GRIP!!!

Xefas
2008-05-23, 10:29 PM
Actually, I've already got several Paragon Paths and a few Heartless statted up for 4th edition. I figured after some tweaking when the actual rules come out (June 6th!), I'd have a pretty good-sized base for a setting that I would then throw down in the Homebrew forums in a big impressive show of manly homebrewing.

Thanks for ruining the surprise. :smalltongue:

I've got in the way of Paragon Paths:
Disciple of Darkness (Riku-esque and complete)
Philosopher of the Heart (KH1 Ansem-esque and halfway done)
Champion of Valor (Melee Striker Light-Wielding...very little work done on it)
Champion of Wisdom (Range Striker Light-Wielding...also little work done)

And Heartless (all of the below are complete):
Shadow
Soldier
Large Body
Air Soldier
Red Nocturne
Blue Rhapsody
Yellow Opera
Green Requiem
Silver Rock
Emerald Blues
Crimson Jazz
Sea Neon
Sheltering Zone
Pot Spider
Barrel Spider
Bandit
Luna Bandit
Fat Bandit
Fortuneteller
Pirate
Air Pirate
Battleship

EDIT:
Darkside
Guard Armor
Trickmaster

Obviously I have a lot more work to do (Epic Destiny: Keyblade Master, for one), but with Summer Break imminently approaching, it shouldn't be too difficult.

If you'd like to work together, you can always PM me.

Leliel
2008-05-24, 01:44 PM
Could you send me a link to these stats? I would like to see them.

Rutee
2008-05-24, 01:45 PM
Given that Reaction Commands are stunts, why not just play Exalted?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-24, 01:47 PM

Rutee has won the thread. Praise the First among the Solars.

Project_Mayhem
2008-05-24, 02:51 PM

Probably by playing a fighter.

Bleen
2008-05-24, 03:02 PM

FORM OF MANY BELTS!
GLORIOUS REPETITIVENESS STRIKE!
MASTER'S ZIPPER-CRAFTING TECHNIQUE!
(I'll stop mocking kingdom hearts when kingdom hearts stops making a mockery of poor Setzer)

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-24, 03:07 PM
Given the level of buckles, it's a wonder that spelljamming Hennet hasn't turned up in KH yet ...

elliott20
2008-05-24, 09:30 PM
I hear the word fanfic, and the first thing that came into my head is somebody scrawlling "Riku caresses Sora's throbbing member" onto their word document...

now I need to go do something horribly violent to myself to be rid of this image.

Leliel
2008-05-25, 11:46 AM
I hear the word fanfic, and the first thing that came into my head is somebody scrawlling "Riku caresses Sora's throbbing member" onto their word document...

now I need to go do something horribly violent to myself to be rid of this image.

Oh? Do you needme to change the title?

elliott20
2008-05-25, 03:55 PM
nah it's okay. I got over it after a night of sleep.

Rutee
2008-05-25, 03:56 PM
Have fond dreams of bad yaoi fanfic.

Oh HO HO HO HO HO HO HO

elliott20
2008-05-25, 08:36 PM
that's the problem with being an internet guy now a days. At some point, somewhere, you're going to meet someone online who fancies themselves a write, and who will insist you try to read their work. Seeing as you don't want to be rude and genuinely want to be helpful, you do. The end result? life long scarring and the complete inability to enjoy the original source material again. this is why I can never read Naruto ever again.

JadedDM
2008-05-26, 01:15 AM
Not enough belts and zippers. All PC's and significant enemies gain Ridiculous Quantity of Belts And Zippers as a bonus feat at level 1.

I seriously love this thread.

Anyway, why do the Nobodies have to start as Dusks? The Nobodies are basically based off of the FF job system (which was originally ripped from D&D), so wouldn't they all ready be a good match in their human form?

Xefas
2008-05-26, 02:21 AM
Anyway, why do the Nobodies have to start as Dusks? The Nobodies are basically based off of the FF job system (which was originally ripped from D&D), so wouldn't they all ready be a good match in their human form?

Disagreement Which Isn't Conducive to the Thread (ergo spoilered if you don't care):
If by "The Nobodies are basically based off of the FF job system" you mean "Some of the Nobodies share a name with and have vague characteristics somewhat resembling the FF job system", I agree. And those are the non-human ones. The human ones don't have anything to do with FF jobs.

Only 5 out of the 10 non-human Nobodies are named after FF jobs.
Assassin, Dancer, Dragoon, Samurai, and Sniper

Of those 5, only 2 of them have abilities slightly resembling those of their namesake, and only 1 of them has even a remotely similar appearance.

Anyway, so where do you guys think the setting should fit Tier wise.

The "Epic" tier is supposedly for junk that encompassed the fate of whole worlds. Except that a KH "World" varies in size from a single city (Heroic Tier) to an entire country (Paragon Tier), so it becomes slightly harder to classify.

I mean, at the beginning of Kingdom Hearts 2, you go from beating up boneless sacks filled with zippers and molestation in order to help out a town, to saving China within a relatively short amount of time.

Maybe Sora starts the game at level 10? I dunno.

In KH1, it's worse. In a matter of in-game hours, Sora jumps from barely able to beat up small children, to making a giant world-eating monster from the void between the stars his *****. Of course, the giant world-eating monster gets the last laugh as he flings your sorry ass directly into the path of Donald&Goofy, who turn out to be among the more incompetent interstellar universe-saving sidekicks ever conceived (with the title of "Most Incompetent" going to Mome from Phantasy Star Online's Dreamcast Version).

Me: "Stand over there. If you get hit by the boss, you'll die in one hit and I'll lose the mission that I've been working on for the past hour."
Mome: "Very sorry, old chap, but I'd rather run screaming directly into his waiting jowls even though he's 40 feet away, not bothering me at all, AND I'm equipped with a ranged weapon."

JadedDM
2008-05-26, 04:22 PM
Well, not exactly. What about Gambler? Bard? Scholar? Berserker? Sorcerer? These are also FF jobs.

Although I agree their powers aren't very similar.

Xzoz
2008-06-13, 05:53 PM
Is this project dead in it's tracks? Me and a couple of friends are introducing a group of new players to the role-playing world and as such we need an easy game, we were planning to buy E4 of D&D and modify it or some similar game, partwise to make it far easyer for new players and on other side to become more similar to the Kingdom Hearts universe. Most of us are also going to cosplay the members from Organization XIII and as such I think most of us would appreciate the game to be based from a Nobody-perspective.

If this project is indeed dead in it's tracks please notify me, if not, I'd like to contribute however I can. :smallsmile: