PDA

View Full Version : Keep on the Shadowfell: Contents and Value?

AKA_Bait
2008-05-23, 03:17 PM
Hey folks,

I'm sure more than a few of you have picked up The Keep on the Shadowfell already and some have begun to play it. Well, I was looking around at barnes and noble today and saw the pricetag... $30 for what looks to be a shrink wrapped folder with some loose pages inside.

So, I must ask, what is the contents of KotS (Maps, sheets, rules)?

How much crunch, in terms of the game mechanics, is there?

Does it suck?

SamTheCleric
2008-05-23, 03:37 PM
I havent read it all the way through because I'm playing it.

It has 3 double-sided maps for use in the game and in Minis combat. One set of player quick start rules that is 5 pages long and 5 pre generated double-sided characters.

The Adventure/DM guide is 79 pages long.

I think the quality is quite nice, conisdering both booklets are full color.

skywalker
2008-05-23, 04:08 PM
My vote is not worth $30. I got to play it for free(and will get to run it for free) because my DM is the manager at my LGS.

Of course, I don't think it's worth owning the core 3.5 books because the SRD is online. I'll probably stay the same about 4e because the books will eventually be online. We shall see.

But even if you are the type to pay $90 for the complete core set, I'm not sure KotS is worth it. The next modules might be, but not if they stay the same quality and price as this :smallsigh:

Reel On, Love
2008-05-23, 04:11 PM
I don't think it's worth $30, but then, I can't think of any adventure that's worth $30, except maybe Red Hand of Doom (and that's only if you get multiple uses out of it, like with multiple groups, or your group really likes it).

AKA_Bait
2008-05-23, 04:34 PM
That's pretty much what I thought. I'm quite curious to see how 4e plays but $30 is a heck of a lot of money for a level 1 - 3 adventure.

I might even be willing to shell out that kind of money for it if I felt like it gave me a large enough chunk of the mechanics to sink my teeth into, but no one seems to be indicating that it really gives you much more than folks have already gleaned without it.

Project_Mayhem
2008-05-23, 04:48 PM
hmmmm. $30 sounds far more than £15 quid. Still quite a lot for an adventure though.

skywalker
2008-05-23, 05:08 PM
hmmmm. $30 sounds far more than £15 quid. Still quite a lot for an adventure though.

A quid is a pound, right?

As of yesterday, $30 U.S. was equivalent to 15.12 pounds.(sorry, don't know how to make the little pound sign).

So I think they're priced equally, yes?

Project_Mayhem
2008-05-23, 05:15 PM
A quid is a pound, right?

yep, sorry, Brit slang

So I think they're priced equally, yes?

Yeah, that was the point.

skywalker
2008-05-23, 05:34 PM
yep, sorry, Brit slang I thought so...

Yeah, that was the point. Oh... I see... It sounds like a lot more, but it's really not. I get it now.

Gralamin
2008-05-23, 06:16 PM
For $30, I learn the basics of the rules quickly, and learn if my groups gaming style works with 4E. If it does, then I will continue to buy the core books. If it does not, then I do not have to spend the money to buy the core books, or spend the time to learn the rules in-depth.

That being said, Its not all that much of a price. I just view it as spending the 2.5 hours I worked to get the money for it, to get the chance to make an early decision on whether I'll be buying 4E or not based on the content of their system, not on guesses and half knowledge on the system.

I like 4E, both from the previews and the quick-start rules, and getting the chance to see if its an investment that my group will make is worth it.