PDA

View Full Version : 40k Dark Heresy?

Da King
2008-05-23, 03:54 PM
I've become interested in the 40k RPG Dark Heresy, and from what I've researched it seems like fun. Can anyone tell me what it's like to actually play the game?

ahammer
2008-05-23, 04:04 PM
I to would like to know. is it like WHFRP

ArtifexFelicis
2008-05-23, 04:12 PM
/Not sure if it is like the WFRP exactly, but I've heard it is.

I will say that it is rather amazing, and defenitly worth a read through. A very well made system I think.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-05-23, 04:22 PM
WFRP's system was really fun and balanced. Pretty grim and dangerous too.

DH's system is more straightforward, as you begin with a chosen class and you develop trough it up while gaining ranks, as opposed to WFRP's, where you could change career.

But it's mostly the same huge thing, with small difference here and there in the crunch. However, the fluff is.. a blast. There is so much potential in the freakin 40k universe that you have to restrain yourself from putting too much in your games
(think of it: they gave an example of a Starship named the Misericord, and it's security agents are metal-plate wearers using shotguns. The capitains are twins and use a feodalistic approach to the chain of command, the ship's crew is separated in castes (for the ship's functions), and those casts often get into conflicts.)

And that's merely ONE starship idea. The possibilities... are infinite. From a very-very-high tech setting, to a pre-medieval settings were people with lasgun fight arrows, cavalry suicide-bombers who carry melta bombs.

Anything you imagine, you can put in it. Whatever genre melange you want.

Da King
2008-05-23, 08:30 PM
I think I'll pick up a copy of the rulebook(there is only one you need to play, right?) then, it sounds pretty fun. How is GW changing the publisher of the system going to affect me though?

Tsotha-lanti
2008-05-24, 02:46 AM
It's more simplified than WFRP, but if you're familiar with WFRP, you'll learn DH quickly.

Overall, it made me want to play Fading Suns (since they have a cooler Inquisition, a cooler space empire, a cooler system, stole more from Dune, etc.). Still, the setting is wicked cool.

holywhippet
2008-05-24, 03:15 AM
I think I'll pick up a copy of the rulebook(there is only one you need to play, right?) then, it sounds pretty fun. How is GW changing the publisher of the system going to affect me though?

Yes only one book is required. The publisher changing will, at worst, make the future additions crap. Hopefully they will do a decent job expanding the game.

Tengu
2008-05-24, 03:50 AM
Overall, it made me want to play Fading Suns (since they have a cooler Inquisition, a cooler space empire, a cooler system, stole more from Dune, etc.).

Amen to that! Fading Suns are awesome on a stick.