PDA

View Full Version : Norse God Question

HomocidalWizard
2008-05-23, 07:07 PM
I was wondering if anyone happens to know what any of the norse gods in oot's domains are or if they have any specific spells (even just Thor will do if you don't feel like naming them all).

If there's already a thread about this a link would be appreciated.

tyckspoon
2008-05-23, 07:28 PM
We've seen Odin, Thor, Loki, and Freya. None of their domains have been specifically named, although Thor grants at least one that has what looks like Lightning Bolt. Strength and/or War are also likely, given Thor's typical role. Hilgya claims Loki is a god of 'Flames and Chaos' and appears to rebuke/command a couple of.. firey things, so Fire is almost certainly one of Loki's domains and Chaos is likely. Odin and Freya have only appeared in cutaways to the divine realm, so we have no evidence for what their domains in OotS might be.

HomocidalWizard
2008-05-23, 07:33 PM
We've seen Odin, Thor, Loki, and Freya. None of their domains have been specifically named, although Thor grants at least one that has what looks like Lightning Bolt. Strength and/or War are also likely, given Thor's typical role. Hilgya claims Loki is a god of 'Flames and Chaos' and appears to rebuke/command a couple of.. firey things, so Fire is almost certainly one of Loki's domains and Chaos is likely. Odin and Freya have only appeared in cutaways to the divine realm, so we have no evidence for what their domains in OotS might be.

Thanks that helps quite a bit, for Thor I think I'd go a modified Air Domain, Strength, Neutral, and Good (I think that's what alignment he is considering Durkon is Lawful Good so Thor would have to be at least neutral)

The Extinguisher
2008-05-23, 07:56 PM
Thor's probably chaotic. Rich just doesn't use the one-step rule.

Unless you want Oots Thor specificly, just use Dieties and Demigods.

Tingel
2008-05-23, 08:01 PM
Based on their personae in Norse mythology, this would be my guess:

Odin: War, Knowledge, Rune
Thor: Strength, Weather, War
Loki: Chaos, Fire, Madness
Freya: Plant, Healing, Community

Of course other domains could also work, like Trickery for Loki or Charm for Freya for example. Or the Travel, Death, Animal and Magic domains for Odin.

Chronos
2008-05-23, 08:41 PM
Durkon has been known to cast both Call Lightning (ordinarily a 3rd-level druid spell) and something called Thor's Lightning (which appears to be another name for either Lightning Bolt or Chain Lightning). Both of these must come from domain slots, but there's no domain in any of the rulebooks that grants both of them. Durkon also refers to Righteous Might as Thor's Might, which suggests (but does not prove) that that's one of his domain spells, too. So either Durkon's two domains (which must therefore be amongst Thor's domains) are Air and Storm, and he's just casting Thor's Might as a regular cleric spell, or at least one of Thor's domains is homebrew, and contains both Call Lightning and whatever Thor's Lightning is.

Tingel
2008-05-23, 08:48 PM
Durkon has been known to cast both Call Lightning (ordinarily a 3rd-level druid spell) and something called Thor's Lightning (which appears to be another name for either Lightning Bolt or Chain Lightning). Both of these must come from domain slots, but there's no domain in any of the rulebooks that grants both of them.
I assumed that Thor's Lightning is just a stronger version of Call Lightning, which means it would be Call Lightning Storm. Both Call Lightning Storm (= Thor's Lightning) and Call Lightning are domain spells of the Weather domain, which fits Thor much better than the Air domain anyway. That's why I listed the Weather domain among the suggested domains for Thor in my post above, and I assume Durkon has it.
Righteous Might (= Thor's Might) is a domain spell of the Strength domain, which is also listed as one of Thor's domains in my post above. I find it therefore reasonable to assume that the two domains of Durkon are Weather and Strength. No homebrew domains necessary at all.

Edea
2008-05-23, 09:10 PM
Haven't we seen Sif? (Though I'm not sure Sif would "giggle," the woman in Strip 73 doesn't look like the fertility goddess in Strip 501).

Also, Durkon may have the Plot domain, but Weather/Strength sure seems to fit so far.

Degausser
2008-05-23, 10:16 PM
As for the one-step rule, even CORE DnD doesn't adhere to it. St. Cuthburt is LN, but his followers aren't allowed to be LE. Says so right in the text.

IIRC:
Thor was the god of lightning, and he was always portrayed as 'fighting the good fight' and protecting the ranks of Asguard always came first. By that logic, you could say "Thor's followers can be of any good alignment" thus making it capable for the LG Durkon to worship the CG Thor. This would also prevent CN 'crazies' from worshiping Thor.

Loki Obviously has the Fire domain, as Helyg . . . Hylg . . . that female dwarf rebuked those fire creatures (which makes sense, Loki dealt with the fire-lord Surtr, according to Wiki.) He probably also has the domains of Chaos and Trickery, given his real-life context.

We haven't seen much of Odin, but, as with all things in OoTS, he seems a fair bit sillier than normally portrayed (But . . . I like puppets . . .) Odin is the all-father and (given his attempts to prevent Ragnarok) it wouldn't be impossible for him to have the protection domain, along with War. I only have the base book, is there some sort of truth or something domain that allows you to see through illusions? 'Cuse that would be a perfect domain.

Chronos
2008-05-23, 10:54 PM
I assumed that Thor's Lightning is just a stronger version of Call Lightning, which means it would be Call Lightning Storm. Both Call Lightning Storm (= Thor's Lightning) and Call Lightning are domain spells of the Weather domain, which fits Thor much better than the Air domain anyway.Could be, but what we've seen of Thor's Lightning doesn't look much like Call. Either Call Lightning spell manifests as vertical bolts, one per round, while Thor's Lightning appears to work all at once, and (mostly) in a horizontal line (the exception being when he defends himself against a tree (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0169.html)).

And I get the hunch that Rich based his semi-senile portrayal of Odin on Douglas Adams', in the Dirk Gently books.

Hectonkhyres
2008-05-23, 11:56 PM
Years ago my group actually had an Intoxication Domain all worked out. Could Thor possibly not get that? And Loki is, without a doubt, god of Unmitigated Awesome.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-24, 01:54 AM
http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Deities.pdf mentions some Norse dieties which have been converted for use in D&D. What spells and abilties did the Intoxication Domain include exactly?

Hectonkhyres
2008-05-24, 03:26 AM
Like I said, its been years... I know we at least discussed putting these in but I can't remember how many or which ones.

1st: Confusion, lesser
2nd: ???
3rd: Hearts Ease
4th: Confusion
5th: Mind Fog
6th: Hero's Feast
7th: ???
8th: Mind Blank
9th: Feast of Champions