PDA

View Full Version : V's gender: a(nother) poll!

Kato
2008-05-24, 04:18 AM
I found a very old poll about this topic from 2006... Though, I considered reviving it, I decided it might be better to start a new one. So, simple rules. This ones not for discussions. It's simply to collect opinions. You may give a short(!) summary of the most important reasons, but no essays please. There are three or so discussions on the top page, do it there. I want to know two things (for my interest): your gender and V's gender depending on your impression/conclusion/guess whatsoever.

So, I think I'll do the first one and hopefully many of you will take part.

I'm female and think V's female II
I'm female and think V's male VI
I'm female and think V's androgynous I
I'm female and think V's a hermaphrodite 0
I'm male and think V's female XIII
I'm male and think V's male XII
I'm male and think V's androgynous I
I'm male and think V's a hermaphrodite 0
I'm a hermaphrodite and think V's female 0
I'm a hermaphrodite and think V's male 0
I'm a hermaphrodite and think V's androgynous 0
I'm a hermaphrodite and think V's a hermaphrodite 0
I'm androgynous and think V's female I
I'm androgynous and think V's male I
I'm androgynous and think V's androgynous I
I'm androgynous and think V's a hermaphrodite 0

(last entry: Moriarty)

(I know some things are funny, but I wanted to take in all the possibilities ^^
Sorry I didn't take in the ninja theory, but that's... naw, it's too hilarious.
So, just copy paste and add one for your opinion, please (I couldn't figure out if there's a way to make a real poll, so have to do it like this ^^)

Emperor Demonking
2008-05-24, 04:24 AM
I'm male and think V's male

He's got the male body shape.

Krenn
2008-05-24, 06:09 AM
I'm male, and I think that V's female, as my LONG TERM opinion.

However, my short term opinion changes depending on which strip I'm reading. I think the Giant flips V's gender in each strip, depending on what's funnier.

Spiryt
2008-05-24, 06:57 AM
Shouldn't there be an option " Am a male/female/degenerated Wookie and I just don't Know"?

Evil DM Mark3
2008-05-24, 06:59 AM
For my gender see <

For V's gender see \/

Drider
2008-05-24, 07:27 AM
I'm male, and I think V was male then became androgynous after a million people asked what gender. Somewhere I read that it only became a joke after people kept asking about it(don't remember where, or if its true)

Paladin29
2008-05-24, 07:37 AM
There is one option not here: the two gender ninja theory :(

As a second option I choose female (i am male)

teratorn
2008-05-24, 07:50 AM
This isn't a real OOTS forums' pool. It lacks the "me loves thog" option.

Mando Knight
2008-05-24, 08:46 AM
I choose "Me loves Thog" think V's most likely male. An effeminate male, but male.

In case the gender icon over <-- there is confusing you, I am male.

Morgan Wick
2008-05-24, 01:23 PM
I'm male and think V's female - 4.

Sorry, I'm not turning this thread into a cavalcade of repititions of the same long list over and over with one tiny little change.

Laurentio
2008-05-24, 01:43 PM
Male, V male. 5

Laurentio

Threeshades
2008-05-24, 03:02 PM
I go for:

I'm androgynous and think V's male

Reason: V was designed to be male and i cant stop seeing V as male.

Animefunkmaster
2008-05-24, 03:14 PM
Alright, love this, because so many people get gender and sex mixed up (A Hermaphrodite is a sex, while Androgynous is a gender).

For V's Gender:

I'm androgynous and think V's androgynous

V's gendered identity most clearly represents that of one who is not bound by male or female.

Raroy
2008-05-24, 03:17 PM
I think people should stop caring about Vs Gender and stop trying to define every little aspect in the universe.

NikkTheTrick
2008-05-24, 03:54 PM
I'm male and think V is male.

and stop trying to define every little aspect in the universe.
But... that's all I do :smallfrown:

Chronos
2008-05-24, 04:12 PM
I'm male, and think that V is androgenous (am I the first one to fall into that category?)

At least, that's the closest match among the choices given.

Kato
2008-05-24, 04:42 PM
I'm male, and think that V is androgenous (am I the first one to fall into that category?)

At least, that's the closest match among the choices given.

Yes, you are ^^ I wonder when a girl will show up...

Er... what would you like to have voted for? I thought I had taken everything into account.

Lord Ike
2008-05-24, 06:21 PM
Im male, and i think V is female

Xefas
2008-05-24, 07:02 PM
I'm male, and I think V was male then became androgynous after a million people asked what gender. Somewhere I read that it only became a joke after people kept asking about it(don't remember where, or if its true)

This.

At first I thought V was female, but then I heard the above. Wasn't it a message from Mr. Burlew in the "No Cure for the Paladin Blues" book? Something like that.

In which case, it isn't really an opinion. Just "Was male, is now androgynous".

Penquin47
2008-05-24, 07:05 PM
I'm female and think V is male.

To Animefunkmaster: Androgynous can be a sex, if you lack both sets of reproductive equipment.

Bunlett
2008-05-24, 08:03 PM
I'm female and I think V's female.

Not quite sure why, but female is how Vaarsuvius has always seemed to me. :smallsmile:

Red XIV
2008-05-24, 10:09 PM
I'm male, and V's always seemed male to me.

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-24, 10:17 PM
I'm female, V's male.

Aethir
2008-05-24, 10:45 PM
I'm male, I think V's female.

Chronos
2008-05-24, 11:10 PM
Er... what would you like to have voted for? I thought I had taken everything into account.1/sqrt(2) each superposition of male and female. That would mean that V is fully-gendered, but without bias towards one or the other. V's mate, of course, would be the opposite polarization state.

Selene
2008-05-25, 12:30 AM
I'm female; V is male.
He's shaped just like Zz'dtri, and in strip #49 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0049.html), V called him "Mr. Zz'dtri." Zz'dtri didn't correct him, so the two of them at least agree that Zz'dtri is male. :smallsmile:

Remirach
2008-05-25, 01:32 AM
wait, this is LESS confusing than the prior topic?!

I'm female and think that V is androgynous.

BUT! I always say female because it irks me when I see so many posters who are adamant that she is male.

But I guess for your poll, go with my second sentence because that's the most accurate depiction of my opinion.

Dumbledore lives
2008-05-25, 01:41 AM
I'm male and think V is female, because she seems to relate the most with Haley and always bunks with her.

Kato
2008-05-25, 02:25 AM
wait, this is LESS confusing than the prior topic?!

I just think this way I can keep up the list better this way, sorry ^^' Also we have a more clear opinion with the other choices added, don't we?

@Xefas I'm not completely but pretty sure, Rich never made a statement about V's gender. It stop the discussion ^^ So I'd not rely on any rumors with start with 'Rich said (in a book)...' Said this, maybe you want to reconsider your opinion...

Lira
2008-05-25, 09:08 AM
At first I thought V was female, but then I heard the above. Wasn't it a message from Mr. Burlew in the "No Cure for the Paladin Blues" book? Something like that.Nope, he didn't really comment on V's gender in that book. But in Dungeon Crawlin' Fools when he talks about creating all the characters, he says this about Vaarsuvius:
The character's gender ambiguity was not planned, but after seeing debates among fans on either sides of the issue, I decided to take that particular ball and run with it.As you can see, Rich carefully avoids stating what gender he had originally planned V to be. Personally, I think V was intended to be male, but I don't necessarily want V to turn out like (s)he was intended, and since Rich hasn't told us yet he could do anything he wants. V's gender is not set in stone.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-25, 10:43 AM
I'm male and think V is female, because she seems to relate the most with Haley and always bunks with her.

Yes. Also, this early strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0003.html) seems to indicate that.

Although I must say that I never found anything ambiguous about V's gender, until it was explicitly called ambiguous in the comic strip. It's either a grossly unsubtle joke, or one so subtle that people can easily overlook it.

maxon
2008-05-25, 12:18 PM
I'm female and think V's male III

silversaraph
2008-05-25, 12:28 PM
I'm male and I think that V was first female, then was a hermaphrodite, then a male. At the start of the strip she looks girlish, then you just can't tell, and then he seems more manly (and evil).

Plot and drawing styles change. this means genders can change too. :)

Nerdanel
2008-05-25, 01:33 PM
I'm female and think V's male.

(Specifically, gay male. That's why he shares hotel rooms with Haley.)

Pie Guy
2008-05-25, 09:52 PM
I'm male, I think she's female.

(Mature language in this link. Don't complain if you're like, eight. You have been warned.)
That or it's like this. http://http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=103

Selene
2008-05-26, 12:59 AM
Yes. Also, this early strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0003.html) seems to indicate that.

Which part? The part about the boots? Would a guy not know a rogue wouldn't want to wear lime green boots? Putting aside for the moment that they're tacky, it seems like lime green boots would be the low-tech version of sneakers that light up when you walk.

"Who robbed you?"
"Why, it was the girl with the lime green boots!"

All that aside, maybe he's being sarcastic.

Ktulu
2008-05-28, 12:30 AM
I'm male and think V's female

i think her attitude suits a woman a lot of the time (don't kill me)

David Argall
2008-05-28, 02:45 AM
Which part? The part about the boots? Would a guy not know a rogue wouldn't want to wear lime green boots? Putting aside for the moment that they're tacky, it seems like lime green boots would be the low-tech version of sneakers that light up when you walk.

It should be presumed Haley was objecting to the color on fashion grounds, not on grounds of utility. The rules certainly make no such distinction, and it is not immediately obvious that the color would be less efficient overall. So we have a joke about women putting fashion ahead of utility.

Then we have V agreeing, which would argue she too is female. But of course, as with any evidence about V's sex, there is a counterargument, showing him male. He is not in fact listening to Haley, but is merely making comments to hide that whenever Haley stops talking. Since Haley seemed to have said something about a decision, saying it must have been difficult keeps V from actually having to pay attention, and of course follows the line of many male-female joke conversations.

maxon
2008-05-28, 04:12 PM
I'm female and think V's male.

(Specifically, gay male. That's why he shares hotel rooms with Haley.)

ummm why can't straight men share a room with a female? Or do you think it's to avoid sharing with Durkon, Belkar and the rest (well I could understand that but don't think that makes anyone gay)? They (V and Haley) could just be friends, you know.

Green-Shirt Q
2008-05-28, 05:28 PM
I'm male and I see V as female. Vaarsuvius is hot.

Ceric
2008-05-28, 06:32 PM
I'm female and I think V's male.

But I also support the ninja theory.

MyrddinDerwydd
2008-05-28, 07:31 PM
I'm female and think V's female. :smallcool::vaarsuvius:

And for those using the " body shape " argument, you're forgetting that V is wearing a pretty shapeless robe. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that someone masked their gender under one of those...

Selene
2008-05-29, 03:53 AM
It should be presumed Haley was objecting to the color on fashion grounds, not on grounds of utility.

Why? It's not like she said "boy those were sure unfashionable." She just didn't like them for some reason related to their color.

The rules certainly make no such distinction, and it is not immediately obvious that the color would be less efficient overall.

The rules don't, but logic does. I remember seeing a guy once with lime green pimp-looking shoes. I've seen a lot of guys, and I didn't even talk to this guy, but his shoes stand out in my brain. My college roommates and I used to swap shoes all the time, but the only pair I really remember either of them owning were Kris's bright orange Chucks. And I never even borrowed those that I can recall. LOL.

Beholder1995
2008-05-29, 07:46 AM

Hmmm... That is... probably true. If you look at the head design of the stick figures, the males have their eyes further towards their forehead, and the females have their eyes more in the middle of their face. Just look at gender-bent Roy in that one comic. The location of his eyes moved. So even if V's gender can't be determined by body shape, it can still be determined by his eyes. Therefore, while V may be androgynous, he was most likely intended to be male, and if not, I still think he is. There. Problem solved. V is male.

Therefore: I am male and I think V is male.

Emperor Demonking
2008-05-29, 10:43 AM
I'm female and think V's female. :smallcool::vaarsuvius:

And for those using the " body shape " argument, you're forgetting that V is wearing a pretty shapeless robe. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that someone masked their gender under one of those...

Bot exactly the same as the known male elf. I doubt it.

Griffinwarrior
2008-05-29, 11:43 AM
FOr my gender see
<-----------------

V is male. He has always been male, but the Giant just decided to tease us for a while before telling us.

TroyXavier
2008-05-29, 11:56 AM
I'll classify myself as androgynous and V as female with androgynous leanings.

teratorn
2008-05-29, 12:30 PM
And for those using the " body shape " argument, you're forgetting that V is wearing a pretty shapeless robe.

From The Giant:
http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/tshirtbanner.gif

Kato
2008-05-29, 12:45 PM
Wow, Haley's got boobs! ^^

Anyway, I don't want to keep people away, but as mentioned in the beginning... This wasn't supposed to be used for discussions, just voting. There are enough threads to discuss it, okay?
It's not meant offensive, it simply confuses me if there are so many post without votes in between, sorry.

PaladinFreak
2008-05-29, 04:12 PM
I'm male and I think V's Female.

David Argall
2008-05-29, 04:38 PM
Why? It's not like she said "boy those were sure unfashionable." She just didn't like them for some reason related to their color.

And what would that reason be?
This is a comic, so joke related is obvious. Rules related? We have pretty much established there is no such rule, and we also see that a rules justification ruins the joke here.

So fashion makes "sense" here. This is a comic and nonsense is sensible. The hesitation to grab a very useful magic item because of its looks is worth a laugh. There being an actual debate over its value just doesn't contribute.

teratorn
2008-05-29, 04:50 PM
Wow, Haley's got boobs! ^^

Anyway, I don't want to keep people away, but as mentioned in the beginning... This wasn't supposed to be used for discussions, just voting.

Oh, I should have stated my opinion. I'm male and Vaarsuvius always sounded like a male name to me (the counterpart would be Vaarsuvia) but I always envisioned V as female, or alternatively how a female would play a male character.

So you can count me on: male -> thinks of V as female

Moriarty
2008-05-29, 06:37 PM
i'm male and i think V is male because of this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0124.html). panel 3

Pie Guy
2008-05-29, 07:58 PM
i'm male and i think V is male because of this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0124.html). panel 3

Uh, yeah, my mom does that too.
But I already voted.

Selene
2008-05-30, 01:21 AM
Apologies in advance, Kato. Last time from me, I promise. (I already voted.)

And what would that reason be?

Oh, I don't know, maybe DayGlo Green is a bad idea for stealth, exactly like I've said three times now. I'm not saying it's definitely what she meant. It could very well have been an "OMG lime green is tacky" thing. But it's certainly possible enough that she meant they were useless to her, that we shouldn't be required to assume anything, just because someone else assumes it.

Except it should be assumed that by the end of the series, V will get his own show called Elf Eye for the Human Guy. Because I say so. /nod