PDA

View Full Version : Pass on what you have learned IC

Pages : 1 [2]

AngelForm
2008-06-21, 05:15 AM
Azurous (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=54994)

“Never for a moment.” Azurous replies with a grin. Taking his crossbow in hand and still looking for Trahone, Azurous returns to the deck, he and Scrya look to the other ship trying to see what they are up against. “If they want to take the ship why are they throwing rocks at us?” he says to no one in particular.

Azurous takes a moment to consider there position, 100ft till any of us but Atan are even halfway effective, he smiles remembering watching the talented elf practice, and some of us will need to be even closer. An idea strikes and he calls to the others “A volley of magic missiles when they get within 100ft might make them think twice, especially if we make them think all the shots came from the same person.”

Greyen
2008-06-21, 01:09 PM
Lirt

Lirt squints at the other ship. When they get to a hundred feet I can stick a Web on them, well I hope I can stick a Web on them. I never really mastered that one yet, but I can get it off most of the time. Lirt looks a little nervous.

Wiz
2008-06-21, 04:38 PM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam looks surprised, "You've mastered a second order spell already? Wow... no wonder you did better than I did in spellcraft. Too bad it wasn't Ray of Stupidity... for the Lizards, I mean, not the pirates."

Lochar
2008-06-21, 04:46 PM
Emmis

"If you get the webs up, I'll supply a spider or two. I've got the illusions to do it." Emmis chuckles, looking at the boat.

Irrealist
2008-06-21, 04:56 PM
Atan can barely make out the shape of the man at the helm, but fires his arrow anyway. He lets fly, and the man at the helm seems to drop to the floor.

TwoCents
2008-06-21, 05:30 PM
Minya (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=12615) Istaya

Minya dashed back on deck, bow in hand and sword belted over her explorer's outfit. Cerpe fluttered overhead, squawking importantly. <"Excellent shot, brother!">, Minya cheered in elvish, and then continued in Draconic, <"Go up to your nest now, Cerpe, and keep an eye on things. Tell me if you see anything I should know about.">

"That's a brilliant idea, Lirt! If your web doesn't work I can try to burn their rope thingies with my Scorching Ray." Minya stood next to Atan and readied her bow. Suddenly getting a thought, she reached into her pouch and took out a sheet of parchment, ink, and pen. Quickly slicing off a strip of the parchment, she wrote, "That's what you get for attacking a ship full of wizards!" Smiling, she showed it to Atan, and added, "Do you want to send them a message?"

Lochar
2008-06-21, 05:36 PM
Emmis

Emmis shakes his head vehemently at Minya's suggestion. "You send them that message, their liable to attempt to just use fire from a distance. Let them think Atan is just a good archer and continue to close."

Daryk
2008-06-21, 10:20 PM
Atan (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=12370)

Relaxing his draw, Atan said, "Good point, Emmis. Perhaps we'll stick with fire arrows, then."

Daryk
2008-06-22, 07:28 AM

Atan waited while pitch and rags were prepared for his next shot. This gave time for the enemy ship to close the range a bit. Once everything was set, he drew and let fly, trying to set their main sail alight.

Wiz
2008-06-22, 10:30 AM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam goes back out the hatch and goes up on deck. He is careful to stay out of the way of the crew, but watches the oncoming ship, trying to determine where it may try to grapple this ship.

TwoCents
2008-06-22, 11:51 AM
Minya Istaya (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=12615)

Minya watched Atan's attempts to fire the attacker's sails and thought. Obviously, one scrap of an oily rag wasn't sufficient. On the other hand, too much weight would make it impossible to reach. She dug in Atan's pack and grabbed his candles, and then picked up a scrap of twine or string.

Working quickly, Minya waxed the string to use as a fuse, laid it against an arrow, took some of the rags, and began to carefully wrap the shaft of what she hoped would be a flying flaming torch. Next, she rubbed more wax along outside of her "torch-arrow"; not concerned with perfection, she just wanted to have enough wax to keep the flame burning. Finally, she soaked the wax-encrusted rag wrapped arrow with some of her lamp oil and handed it to Atan while she lit the other candle. Getting set beside him, she said, "Let me know when to light it." At Atan's nod, she set the arrow aflame, waited a second to confirm it was lit, and said, "It's ready!"

TKDfirefly
2008-06-22, 05:59 PM
Trahone

The sudden splash awakes Trahone from his slumber. I can not believe I have slept so long. He rises and rubs his eyes to look out the porthole. He gets there in time to see an arrow fly toward another ship. Now fully awake, Trahone grabs his crossbow and rushes on deck. "What is going on Captain? Is there anyway that I can help? I am pretty decent with some range spells."

harmonictempest
2008-06-22, 06:49 PM
Epsun

With a nod to the captain, Epsun grins darkly. Don't think we'll need to be swimming with this many wizards on board, captain. He readies his crossbow for when the other boat gets closer.

Yeah, it's a short post, but the cleric spell list is desgined for melee combat, not snipin'. Jes' wait 'till Epsun's the only guy with those Conjuration (healing) spells. :P

Daryk
2008-06-23, 06:07 PM

Atan frowned as his first shot plunged through the enemy's sail without so much as a scorch mark. He carefully lined up his second shot, and was similarly disappointed. Sighing, he lined up the third shot only to have an unexpected heave of the deck make him misfire and drop the arrow on their own ship. Fortunately, one of the sailors quickly doused the flames. Regaining his composure, he lined up the last two shots flawlessly, but like the first two, they failed to catch.

Irrealist
2008-06-24, 08:05 AM
The other ship closes fast, covering about a fifth of the space between the ships in one minute. The sailors at the ballista let fly, lodging an arrow in the bow of the other ship. Their pleasantries are returned with another stone flying over your heads to land in the water on the other side of the ship. The captain alters course to throw off the pursuer. "Get some of these rags to the ballista", the captain yells to his officer, "hit them with what we've got before their catapult ruins my ship."

Wiz
2008-06-24, 09:53 AM
Liam Ravenquill

Not having any spells with long range, Liam feels a bit frustrated as he waits, keeping out of the crew's way. Well, I'll just have to keep this kind of situation in mind for the future... carry some long-range effects.

Irrealist
2008-06-25, 06:40 PM
Before the captain finishes the quarter-turn of his ship, the pirate ship changes course, too, turning until it faces away from you, and then picks up speed again.

Daryk
2008-06-25, 08:52 PM

Swaggering up to the Captain, bow still in hand, Atan asked, "Shall I continue harassing fire, sir?" He couldn't repress a huge smile as he spoke, or waited for the answer.

Irrealist
2008-06-26, 09:46 AM
"That was quite a shot there, as far as I could see", the captain replies. "If you can hit them, go ahead. They're pirates for all I care. If not, we'll leave it up to the navy. They should be here soon."

TwoCents
2008-06-26, 10:02 AM
Minya

"Do you want to try the "candle arrow", brother?" asked Minya, holding her contraption out.

Wiz
2008-06-26, 10:05 AM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam smiles, "Good work, everyone!"

Daryk
2008-06-26, 09:18 PM

Smiling at his sister, Atan said, "Why not?"

As before, he took careful aim, then let fly with the lit 'candle arrow'. As it impacted the enemy's main sail, he held his breath, watching for flames to blossom.

Greyen
2008-06-28, 02:18 AM
Lirt

Lirt watches the other ship recede. Good work gentlemen. Then taking a moment to stumble back over to the rail he spends a few moments at the rail with his head hanging.

Daryk
2008-06-28, 05:41 AM

As flames spread from where his arrow hit, Atan laughed and cheered.
"Sister, you're a genius!" he cried, throwing an arm around her. He knew the flames wouldn't last. If the pirate crew was even half as competent as their own, some means of extinguishing the fire in their rigging would be exercised in short order. But the damage had been done. At least one pirate crew knew not to cross this particular ship again.
Bouncing back up to the captain, he had an even bigger grin on his face than before. "Sir, I'd like to report the enemy ship has developed a bit of a fire problem," he said. "I hope the Navy appreciates the help," he added.

Irrealist
2008-06-28, 06:53 AM
The arrow impacts the aft sail, splattering burning wax over it. You can see several figures climbing through the ships rigging while the flames eat their way through the cloth. When the crewman finally manage to put out the fire, a large section of the sail is burnt, and the ship trails a thick cloud of black smoke.

The captain walks over to Atan and pats him on the shoulder. "Well done, son. You seem to have some talent with the bow. Are you sure you want to spent your life hunched over books? No offense", he apologizes to your friends.

A quarter of an hour passes until you hear a "navy ship ahead" from the crow's nest. A few minutes later you can discern the shape of several sails, the largest one bearing prominently the emblem of the royal navy. The warship heads towards you, then matches the speed and course of the smaller cog, and a soldier yells "Did you fire the signal?" "Aye", the captain replies. "We're coming aboard."

The warship slowly lowers a drawbridge-like ramp to the cog, taking care not to damage the ship with the iron spikes that protrude from it. An officer of the purple dragons accompanied by four soldiers steps aboard and greets you. "What caused you to fire the signal?" The captain shortly relays the recent events, including Atan's considerable help in driving off the pirates. The dragon congratulates you. "Well done, Atan. We could use men like you in the dragons. What do you think?"

Lochar
2008-06-28, 07:01 AM
Emmis

Emmis grins as Atan catches the ship on fire, and cheers along with the others.

When the Purple Dragons come, Emmis speaks. "If you'd like, I can show you an illusion of what the ship looked like."

Daryk
2008-06-28, 07:05 AM

His grin shifting to a rueful smile, Atan replied to the captain, "Thank you, captain. Actually, no, but my parents have insured that I at least have to finish school. A few more years, and I'll be free to make my own way."

When the Purple Dragon congratulated him, Atan beamed with pride. His accomplishments would be something to tell his uncle, certainly. With the same rueful smile he had given the captain, he replied, "I wish I could take you up on that offer, sir, but I'm obligated to complete my schooling, no matter how ill-suited I am to it. I'll be free to make my own way in a few more years, though, and I'll absolutely keep the Dragons in mind when I graduate, sir."

Wiz
2008-06-28, 09:14 PM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam walks around the ship, checking for any signs of damage of any kind. If it will help he will spend his three mending spells to assist with that or any other minor repairs that might need doing.

Irrealist
2008-06-29, 11:55 AM
"If you do, I hope we meet again." The dragon looks at Emmis' Illusion, then bids you farewell and goes off to chase after the pirates. The ship stays where it is, anchoring for the night.

The next day you continue your journey, arriving at the mouth of the Wyvernflow at the end of the day. You travel up the Wyvernflow, making a short stop at the town of Wheloon to allow for some trade. Three uneventful days later you reach Hultail, the small village that is home to the largest shipyards on the Wyvernwater, as the crew readily explains to you. After you leave Hultail, the wind changes, and you have to spend two nights on the boat.

On the third day, finally, a few huts on the shore come into sight. The ship is anchored close to shore, and yawls are loaded with various wares and set into water. You accompany the merchants on the first boat, and arrive at the , where a small crowd has already gathered. The merchants jump onto the rocky beach. "We bring you everything you desire! Fine threads from Suzail!, " He looks at a child hiding behind his mother. "Do you want some honey?" The childs nods, and as the merchant dips a wooden stick into a honey bowl and gives it to the kid, his eyes go almost as wide as his mouth as he tries to swallow the stick whole, but not without distributing honey liberally over his face.

Wiz
2008-07-02, 09:53 AM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam walks among the townsfolk who are gawping at the strangers. He smiles, seeing the kids, and casts Prestidigitation. Then, sitting down crosslegged begins performing an impromptu magic show (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4522966#post4522966), letting the kids come over on their own.

Daryk
2008-07-20, 02:16 PM

Atan happily trudged up the rocky beach, his eyes inland. He hadn't minded the sea voyage, really, but it just didn't compare to walking among the trees. Seeing others of the group engaged with the locals, he restrained his desire to head off to the forest proper. Perhaps there was a local fletcher. One could never have too many arrows, after all. Remembering the Captain's generosity earlier in the voyage, Atan kept his canvassing close to the merchants. He had little coin with which to replenish his quivers.

AngelForm
2008-07-20, 03:24 PM

The morning after the pirate attack

Azurous had done some thinking after the attack about the spells available to him, eventually he had concluded that there were spells he could have chosen that would be more effective in the current situation. As he did not have the means to change his current spell he decided on a more short term solution.

Azurous approaches Liam as he finishes restoring his spells. “My friend I believe I have made an error while selecting spells for this expedition, would it be possible for me to borrow your spellbook to memorize Mage Armor?”

Wiz
2008-07-21, 12:49 AM
Liam Ravenquill

shortly after the pirate attack

Liam smiles, "No problem." He digs out the book and opens it to the relevant page, holding it out for Azurous.

Greyen
2008-07-21, 03:51 AM
Lirt

Lirt follows along with the group leading his mule with care. He is careful of the children and looks at the merchants with a cautious eye. He looks at the others Do we want to head directly into the forest today or wait until morning?

AngelForm
2008-07-21, 04:42 AM

The morning after the pirate attack

With Liam’s help Azurous successfully memorizes the spell. “Thank you,” grinning he continues “now maybe I can be effective for more than 12 seconds.”

Present time

Azurous moves into town with the others, Scrya as always alert for possible threats.
In response to Lirt’s question Azurous says “Unless we need something specific we should head out as soon as possible, we only have so much time and food and we do not know what delays we may encounter.”

Irrealist
2008-07-21, 04:50 AM
Liam is quickly surrounded by a gaggle of giggling kids, running around close to him and trying to touch the colorful spectacle he produces.

Elizar Dayen sees Atan standing aside from the activity and walks up to him. "So this is where we part. I don't know when you leave, but I and my colleagues have a lot to thank you for. We might well have lost our cargo to these pirates. All out money is bound up in our wares though. We went through everything and sorted out what we thought would be most useful to you." He sets down a large canvas bag. "These small bags here contain the most treasured saffron from Thay. There are ten of them, and each holds one pound and is worth fifteen gold pieces. This bale here holds twenty-five square yards of Thesk's finest silk The usual price for this is 250 gold pieces. Finally, here are some assorted items we think you might find helpful. The vial holding the blueish liquid is a potion that cures light wounds. The red vial is a love elixir. Don't confuse them." He snickers. "This wand here produces a spell that protects you from physical harm with an invisible armor, and this glass bottle here contains holy water. Good luck to you on your way."

Daryk
2008-07-21, 05:57 AM

Atan gaped for a moment at the merchant's generosity, then quickly remembered his manners. Clomping his mouth shut, he gave a respectful bow to the man and said, "Thank you, sir. You are more than generous. House Mistaya will not forget you, Elizar Dayan. May your gods smile on you always." Picking up the large canvas bag, he politely retreated and motioned to the others to come and see the goods the merchants had given them. He passed out the small bags of saffron to each person, but laid the three vials and wand atop the bale of silk for further discussion. He was fairly certain he'd end up carrying the bale, but he was just as certain he wasn't the right person for any of the other items.

Wiz
2008-07-21, 12:55 PM
Liam Ravenquill

As the children gather round, having fun; he pauses the act and gestures them close. "Have any of you seen... one of these?" He gestures and a faint two-dimensional image appears, the picture Liam saw of a Shocker Lizard in the books. If any children pipe up he will gesture as a glowing ball of light settles over the each of those child's heads. "What do you know about them and where else have you seen them?" If nobody pipes up, or after he has questioned the children, he will nod and continue the show.

TwoCents
2008-07-22, 01:10 AM
Minya (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=12615)

Minya wobbled a bit on legs used to the heaving deck. She decided she liked sea travel. She wandered the hamlet for a bit, looking around at the various people. If she spotted an elder she wandered over and introduced herself.

"Hello, I am Minya Istaya, a student from Cormyr. May I join you?" She asked a few questions about the village and the surrounding area, patiently listening to anything the person had to share. Eventually, if the conversation didn't wend its way there naturally, she asked about shocker lizards.

Irrealist
2008-07-22, 10:19 AM
Liam sits in the middle of five children enjoying the simple show. When he creates his image of the lizard, the young girl in front of him bursts into tears and starts to scream "Mommy, Mommy!" The boy next to her springs up and looks angrily at you. "Now you made her cry." He takes the girl by the hand, and they run back to the adults, who all turned towards the commotion.

The old man pats a spot on the bench next to him. "Have a seat please, I always enjoy having some company. You sure look like you are from the big city. Are you an elf? I didn't know you liked the big cities. But then, some are always different, huh? I still remember little Grag, he never liked it in Hultail. That's where I am from, in case you haven't guessed. His father was a shipwright, but he didn't want to take over his trade. He went off to the big city, talked into it by this wizard. Not that I don't like wizards, mind you. But you have to be careful around them, meddling with these energies we were just not made to handle. Accidents happen sometimes, terrible accidents." He stops and you notice his lower lip trembling.

Wiz
2008-07-22, 11:56 AM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam looks dumbfounded that a simple image of a picture caused such a reaction in a child of the village. "Well, I didn't mean to upset your friend, so I guess the show is over." He shrugs.

Lochar
2008-07-22, 12:49 PM
Emmis

Emmis, coming off of the ship and watching the show, winces when the child runs away.

He then looks to Liam. "Possibly, he's had a run in with them before. Ever think that a child, having been shocked into unconsciousness, wouldn't have a bad reaction to them? Betcha that's why."

TwoCents
2008-07-22, 05:57 PM
Minya Istaya, Waterdeep Elf (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=12615)

"Yes, sir, I am an elf. My parents sent my brother and I away to school to learn from a new university in Cormyr. That's my brother over there on the beach," she said, pointing at Atan and smiling.

Minya was fascinated when the old man began to talk about Grag, but shivered when the talk turned to danger. She was a little high strung, and couldn't always keep the calm demeanor her family expected. "Accidents, sir? Um, what kind of accidents?" Noticing the old man's sorrow she tried to temper her curiosity with compassion, but could not help being interested in his story. "Would you tell me the story? I am a student myself and, well, not doing as well as I had hoped." She swallowed nervously, and looked around for anything resembling a tea shop.

AngelForm
2008-07-23, 03:32 AM

Azurous heads over to Atan to inspect the reword the elf had been given, and he well disserves it for making that shot. After considering for a moment he puts forth his opinion. “The saffron and silk is no use to us at the present, can a mule carry then? As for the rest, well Epsun knows the most about healing and Atan would be the best shot with the Holy Water. As he did the work Atan should decide who gets the wand and elixir. If you don’t want to use the wand I would gladly employ it on this expedition.”

Greyen
2008-07-23, 03:58 AM
Lirt

Lirt wander's up with his mule, he looks at Atan and Azourus, I think we would be best served just outright selling the silks here, foul weather will ruin it. My mother always complained about her silks getting caught in the rain. As for the saffron, I can think of several different recipes that may benifit from some, but it may be better to save until we get to Suzail to sell there. Lirt looks around the port area for a tailor or dressmaker.

Appraise [roll0]
Spot [roll1]

Daryk
2008-07-23, 05:45 AM

"I think I can keep the silk dry in this canvas bag, and I'm not sure we'll be able to get much for it here in the village, like Azurous said. I'm willing to carry it back to Suzail if no one else is. As far as the other stuff, I think everyone should have a chance to look it over before we decide who's using what. I don't really know what I'd do with a flask of holy water or that wand, honestly, but unless someone has a specific use for the Elixir of Love, I think I'd rather hang on to it, just to keep it safe," Atan said.

Irrealist
2008-07-23, 10:56 AM
The other three children leave Liam and walk back to their parents. Some of the adults have come together in a group and are talking excitedly amongst each other.

The old mal pulls himself together and nods in reply. "It's not much of a story, dear. We had a wizard living in a tower near the village. One day I came back from travel to find the whole village burnt to the ground and the tower destroyed. The next village was attacked by a demon, but luckily there was a band of adventurers who were brave and strong enough to defeat it. They tracked its path to my village and figured that the wizard had summoned the demon, either accidentally or that it got out of control. He was not a bad man, I knew him a little. He must have made a mistake. See, if you're a blacksmith and you make a mistake, you lose some money and time. If you're a wizard..."

Wiz
2008-07-23, 11:33 AM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam walks over to join the others talking about the stuff. "Did I hear right, the merchants gave us some things to help us?"

Daryk
2008-07-23, 04:06 PM

Turning to Liam, Atan said, "Did they ever. Lots of trade goods that may or may not be helpful here and now, but more importantly, a couple of potions and a wand. Based on what he said, I think the wand is Mmm... something Armor. Some spell I never use. One potion is curative, and the other is an 'Elixir of Love'. Oh, and a vial of holy water. No idea what we'd need that for, but who knows?"

Wiz
2008-07-24, 09:15 AM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam nods, noting the coalition of parents. "I suppose I'd better say something." He turns and walks over to the group. "I would like to beg your pardon, I was doing an impromptu magic show, as I saw when I was a boy, but I guess my performance skills are not up to par with the traveling mage I witnessed. I scared one of your children."

Irrealist
2008-07-27, 08:20 AM
One of the men steps in front of the others as you approach. He listens to you and nods. "You probably could have been more careful, but we accept your apology. She'll be out and playing again in no time. So what are you doing here?"

Wiz
2008-07-27, 08:50 AM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam nods, "We've actually been sent to the forest to get some materials that are needed back at our college. Magic, you see, often requires or is enhanced by certain material componentes."

TwoCents
2008-07-27, 12:17 PM
Minya Istaya, Waterdeep Elf (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=12615)

The old man pulls himself together and nods in reply. "It's not much of a story, dear. <snip> See, if you're a blacksmith and you make a mistake, you lose some money and time. If you're a wizard..."

"That's ... that's terrible." Minya shuddered for a moment, "I never thought about what would happen if something got loose. I'm not very good at conjuring, anyway." She frowned in thought, "Summoning demons is a risk not worth taking, or so Grandfather says. They're tricky and evil and taint the soul of the summoner. I never wanted to learn how to bring one here, but maybe I should study how to send them back?" Minya smiled nervously at the old man.

"I'm a student at the university and we've been sent to fetch a shocker lizard. It's a test. Do you know about them? I've studied about them in books, but I don't know anything real."

harmonictempest
2008-07-27, 01:10 PM
Epsun Penderdark, whisper gnome archivist (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=54494)

Epsun yawned as he rolled over in the narrow bunk. The combat had been exciting for some, but he preferred an enemy who could be studied and understood before battle, rather than a simple group of probably uneducated pirates. Sailing wasn't so bad, though - a really nice rocking motion, and...huh. That would be why the sun was so high. Rising in a hurry, he gathered his belongings together and headed for the shore, taking in the scene as he arrived. Gravitating toward the largest knot of students, he listens to their conversation for a moment, appraising the situation before adding his own input.
"Holy water is usually for religious ceremonies - in combat, it's really only useful against undead creatures. I'd take the healing potion if no one else wants it, but the wand is useless to me - the school of universal magic had some basic armor training, and the divine incantations I've been learning don't require complex gestures." He gestures to his breastplate.

[roll0]

Greyen
2008-07-28, 05:31 AM
Lirt

Well however you like it. I'll not object to bringing it with us if we can protect it better. Lirt says to the group as they go over the stuff from the merchants. I'll pack it into mule so no one's too over loaded. HE shifts a few packages on the mule and loads the heavier items onto the pack saddle and saddle bags.

He looks around at the others on the "field trip" We should probably get moving while we can though. I doubt any of us can afford to spend the night in the inn, and I do not think we want to waste any of the time we have.

Irrealist
2008-07-28, 09:34 AM
"I know that they are dangerous and that you'd do good to keep away from them. But I might as well have talked to a wall, eh? You're not going to listen to me anyway." He looks at your face.

TwoCents
2008-07-28, 05:01 PM

Minya looked hurt at the old man's accusation. "Why do you say that? I am no wall, closed minded and unwilling to learn. I seek knowledge from all sources, sir."

She took a deep breath and continued, "The wise choice might be to leave the lizards be, but I have little choice in the matter. My master has assigned me a task, and I must fulfill it or go home a disgraced failure. It may be foolish, but I am not willing to quit. I would listen to whatever you have to say, sir, so that my brother and I might prevail."

Daryk
2008-07-28, 05:58 PM

Atan grinned at Lirt and replied, "Ok, but it really wouldn't have been too much trouble. And I'd really like that duffel bag after we sell the silk. It's nice heavy canvas, and bigger than my pack."

Casting about for his sister, he saw her sitting with an old man. Waving, he called, "Minya, come here! I've got something to show you!"

Irrealist
2008-07-29, 09:37 AM
The old man sighs. "Well, the only thing I can counsel you to do is to stay away from them. But as we both already said, you're not going to listen to me. The only other thing I know is that young Robin once made a getaway by dropping his dried fish; they seemed to prefer that to following him."

TwoCents
2008-07-29, 11:15 AM
Minya

"I mean you no disrespect, sir, and I thank you for that information. Do you know where we might purchase some dried fish?" She smiled at the old man and then noticed her brother waving at her. Minya waited until the man was finished with whatever last comments he wished to make, and then excused herself to see what made Atan so excited.

"Very nice, brother! A wand of armor will be very handy for us! So, Azurous, you're in charge of keeping us all protected, then? Remind me to stay near by." She smiled cheerfully at Azurous. She then told the others what the old man had said about the destroyed village, the mage tower, the demons, and the shocker lizards' appreciation of dried fish.

AngelForm
2008-07-29, 05:37 PM

“The wand will be very helpful but I did some research on this forest and some of the things in there would be a threat to our teachers. Never the less I will do my utmost to protect you.”
If no one protests Azurous takes the wand and tucks it into his belt.

“If we are all ready then let us depart.”

Daryk
2008-07-29, 06:33 PM

"Depart? Oh, sure. Where to, eh? That tower sounds interesting, but we're supposed to be hunting lizards. You don't suppose there's any lizards at the tower, do you?" Atan asked, clearly enthusiastic regardless of the answer.

Irrealist
2008-07-29, 07:10 PM
The old man points to several huts on the shore. "The men are out fishing, but their wives will gladly help you out. Good luck on your journey."

The_Snark
2008-07-29, 07:40 PM
Nuale

"We're ready?" Nuale asks, walking up just in time to hear Atan mention leaving. "Everyone's waterskins are full? I was going to try to see if somebody here had a smaller map we could use, but I don't think they will."

Lochar
2008-07-29, 08:09 PM
Emmis

"I've got the map of the forest I found, but it's only a rough one. Not much detail at all."

Wiz
2008-07-29, 08:19 PM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam nods, "By all means, lets be on our way."

Greyen
2008-07-31, 07:39 AM
Lirt

Lirt and the mule wait patiently for one of the more 'woodsy' classmates to begin leading the way into the swamp.

Daryk
2008-07-31, 05:29 PM

"Hey Minya... where's that tower? Upriver or down?" Atan asked before setting off.

Daryk
2008-08-01, 07:18 PM

After determining the proper direction, Atan strode confidently to the front to lead the group to the tower, lizards or no. A short distance out of town, he remembered his strides were a bit longer than others, and he paused to give everyone a chance to catch up. Sheepishly, he said, "I should be a little ways out in front, but not too far."

AngelForm
2008-08-02, 07:12 AM

Azurous keeps to the back of the group, both he and Scrya keeping a close watch on the surroundings.

Wiz
2008-08-02, 02:45 PM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam sets himself in the middle of the group. He is looking about alertly.

AngelForm
2008-08-03, 10:55 AM
Azurous

Azurous was use to being at the back of a group like this. As he had always been the least powerful when travelling with his family so had always stayed at the back with his younger sibling. Later he acted as a guide to Haleh and Tyrygosa, making sure they knew what was happening and why, but they where still there to guard him.

Now that he was among equals (more or less) he adopted the rear position to better protect the others, knowing from experience that it was at once one of the strongest and most venerable positions. He had his weapon ready and both he and Scrya where keeping a close watch on there surroundings, great though his faith in Atan’s woodsman ship and Trahone’s destructive power he knew what dangers generally lurked in forests, and what was reputed to lurk in this forest specifically, and was rather uncertain of the party’s ability to deal with the threats they may encounter.

As they had entered the forest proper Azurous had observed Atan move ahead and then seem to gradually disappear from view. Meanwhile the rest of the party had formed into a rough order. Azurous was unsurprised to see that Trahone had placed him self between himself and Liam, who was in the centre of the group, so as to be close to both. It had always seemed strange that the most formidable of the three of them, and probably the whole group, was so timid. That being said he was very determined and would stand up to anyone in defence of his friends.

(OOC - Well I was board so I decided to do some RP-ing (if that’s the correct wording) and add some background. Hope it’s ok for me to say where Trahone would be, keeping in mind what TKDfirefly said about the character I think this is where he should go.)

Wiz
2008-08-03, 11:37 AM
Liam Ravenquill

Acting as if he just realized what was said, "What tower?"

harmonictempest
2008-08-04, 07:26 AM
Epsun

Epsun casually falls into the rear of the group beside Azurous, unlimbering his shield and crossbow as they leave the village behind. He scans the surroundings with interest, but not much expectation of seeing anything before those in front.

AngelForm
2008-08-05, 03:33 PM

Hearing his friends question Azurous tells what he knows. “There is a tower near the village that used to house a mage but was apparently destroyed when a demon was summoned and got free. It seems as good a place to start our hunt as any.” When he finishes speaking he quickly returns his attention to there surroundings, thinking again of the innumerable dangers in the region.

Wiz
2008-08-05, 06:15 PM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam looks thoughtful, "I suppose it couldn't hurt to look, as long as we're careful."

Irrealist
2008-08-06, 08:19 AM
You march off into the forest, following Atan on a well-trodden path. The high sun filters through the canopy above you, and all around you, birds sing their usual songs. Some woodpeckers hammer away off in the distance, and once or twice something rustles in the thick undergrowth nearby, but you cannot make out the source.

The air is fresh, and the trees shelter you from the direct sun, so you don't feel tired at all when you arrive at a clearing with a stone circle in the middle only a little more than a quarter of an hour later. The circle is about 40 foot in diameter, and in a very bad condition. Only in a few places more than two stones stand atop each other, and the inside of it looks mostly black. A few lonely stones are scattered around the clearing.

For Atan and Azurous only:

To you, used to being in the woods, everything seems normal.

Daryk
2008-08-06, 06:31 PM

Atan checked the clearing for any lurking danger before the main group arrived. Satisfied it was safe to conduct a more thorough search once the balance of the party arrived, he began to go over the site in detail.

Taking 20 on search checks of the stone ring and surroundings. Total result: 24. We can get it over 25 if someone "aids another"... :smallamused:

harmonictempest
2008-08-06, 07:19 PM
Epsun

When he arrives on the scene, Epsun quickly cottons on to Atan's efforts, and joins him, spending little time on words.

Taking 20 on Search checks gets 26. Using it as Aid Another for Atan gives him...26, so it really doesn't matter which Epsun does. :D

Irrealist
2008-08-06, 07:57 PM
It looks as if a tower stood on this site a few years ago. Now that you get closer, you can see that a few stones mark where walls once may have stood. A good portion of the floor inside the tower has collapsed into some sort of basement about 20 feet below. On the floor of the basement you can see scattered heaps of scorched rubble and a few burnt wooden beams. The ground area of the tower contains only the scorched remains of the stone structure.

Wiz
2008-08-06, 09:40 PM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam looks down in the pit of the former basement, "Wonder what's down there."

Daryk
2008-08-06, 09:45 PM

"Good question, Liam. Let's find out, eh? Here, help me put some knots in this rope, and I'll climb down and look," Atan offered.

Wiz
2008-08-07, 12:19 AM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam nods and assists Atan. "Be careful down there, you never know what spells a wizard might have left behind that are still potent."

The_Snark
2008-08-07, 02:29 AM
Nuale

"Couldn't one of you check for that using magic?" Nuale asks, peering down into the basement. "It seems safer. And we might find something we'd otherwise miss."

AngelForm
2008-08-07, 04:15 AM

“That is an excellent suggestion.” Azurous mutters something inaudible and his eyes flash with arcane power. Moving to the edge of the basement he looks down, searching for anything magical the former tenant may have left.

Cast Detect Magic

Daryk
2008-08-07, 05:09 AM

Atan looked up at Nuale and said, "Well, yeah, but I figured I'd wait until I was down there and could get a closer look. Seems a bit of a waste of a spell to stare at a rope and wall with it."

Greyen
2008-08-07, 05:22 AM
Lirt

Lirt goes about the pause first by hobbling the mules and then tying them to a tree before doing much else. He then goes to stand at the edge of the ring carefully watching the tall folk invite trouble.

Irrealist
2008-08-07, 08:19 AM
Azurous stands at the edge of the hole, which is about 10 foot in diameter. He looks down to the floor of the basement, but it doesn't look any different than before he cast the spell.

AngelForm
2008-08-07, 05:35 PM

“No obvious magical traps or items, lets have a closer look.” Azurous maintains his spell for as long as possible while he attempts to enter the basement, if Atan moves to go down Azurous will allow him to go first.

Daryk
2008-08-07, 07:03 PM

Seeing Azurous getting ready to descend, Atan held up the knotted rope and said with an excited grin, "Just a second. The knots will help us climb up faster if we find anything worth fleeing."

It didn't take long to finish the rope, and Atan immediately set about securing it to a firm anchor before climbing down. Once on the lower level, he held the rope steady for Azurous before beginning his search.

No Detect Magic yet. When he finds something interesting, he'll consider casting it.

Irrealist
2008-08-08, 09:50 AM
You climb down into the room below you. As far as you can tell, it is as large as the stone circle on the ground level. From the outer wall, three walls extend a little more than ten feet into the middle before ending as crumbled remains. The floor is littered with the debris of the stone walls, some burnt leftovers of wooden beams and other smaller pieces of charred wood.

Daryk
2008-08-08, 05:15 PM

After Azurous was safely down the rope, Atan began a thorough search of the outer walls. Perhaps there was a hidden portal of some kind.

Taking 20 again, checking the walls for secret doors. Sorting through the debris will come later, if the search for doors comes to naught. Detect Magic will aid that search, not this one.

Irrealist
2008-08-09, 03:19 AM
Azurous climbs down slowly, taking care not to lose concentration on his spell. Once he has firm ground under his feet, he turns slowly to get a good look at the room, but does not find anything worth noting.

Atan starts to inspect the walls, but they seem to be just ordinary walls.

AngelForm
2008-08-09, 05:15 AM

“There is nothing magical that I can detect.” Azurous cuts his spell of a few seconds short of his maximum ability to maintain it. Guess we do it the hard way, come on Scrya time to sniff about. Scrya moves down the rope into the pit and the Pair move to the centre to begins searching through the debris.

Take 20 on search gives 23, can I get a bonus from Scrya?

Irrealist
2008-08-10, 08:01 AM
Azurous starts shuffling through the debris, Scrya hopping along next to him. He reaches for a larger charred wooden board that might once have belonged to a shelf and turns it around. He immediately drops it, but not before the small spider that was hiding under it surges forward and leaps onto his hand, causing a sharp pain and a burning feeling on the back of his hand. For a second, he stares in surprise at the black hairy thing with the foot-long legs sitting right in front of him before regaining his composure.

Azurous takes one point of damage during the surprise round. One fortitude save please.

Daryk
2008-08-10, 08:42 AM
Init: 18 HP: 7/7 AC: 17

Hearing the commotion behind him, Atan turned, snatched his sword from its sheath and moved to kill the spider attacking Azurous.

From the die rolling thread:
Initiative: 18
To Hit: 12
Damage: 8

AngelForm
2008-08-10, 09:11 AM
Init: 20 HP: 5 AC: 12

After only a moment of confusion Azurous moves to defend himself, Drawing his dagger and slashing at his foe, he could only hope that whatever poison the creature carried would prove ineffective.

Init 20
Attack 18
Damage 2

Irrealist
2008-08-10, 09:18 AM
Azurous pulls his hand away from the spider and punches his dagger through its carapace. The spider has only a fraction of a second to shriek in pain before Atan jumps in behind it and cuts in cleanly in half, spilling its sticky viscera on the ground.

Azurous' hand still burns a little and looks red where he was bitten, but he notices no serious effects.

Daryk
2008-08-10, 09:23 AM

Panting with excitement, Atan asked, "Are you ok Azurous? That bite looks pretty nasty."

While Azurous answered, Atan wiped his blade on a rag, and re-sheathed it.

AngelForm
2008-08-10, 09:36 AM

Slightly shaken and nursing his injured hand Azurous replies “Just a scratch, I think.” While cleaning and sheathing his dagger he tries to identify what species the creature was and more importantly to remember what the effects of its venom were.

TwoCents
2008-08-10, 11:21 AM

As the boys began to explore the basement, Minya rearranged her gear a bit, lightening her load. She left her bedroll behind, but strapped on the quiver of cold iron arrows.

When Minya saw Atan racing towards combat, sword drawn, she leapt to help. Hitching her sword belt out of the way, she began to climb down the rope, only to slip. She stopped her fall with the help of one of the knots Atan had put in the rope, and continued more carefully, reaching the bottom in one piece after the spider had been dispatched. Cerpe fluttered angrily about.

Sword in one hand, she looked around for any other nasty surprises, using the blade to poke about and turn over any other potential spider hiding places.

Irrealist
2008-08-10, 07:49 PM
With the additional help of Minya, it takes Atan and Azurous only about another minute until to finish completely searching the basement. The three are more careful this time and there are no more nasty surprises. Besides the partly eaten body of a rat, enveloped in spider silk, they do not find anything of interest.

Wiz
2008-08-12, 07:32 PM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam looks down from above, "Anything other than spiders?"

Daryk
2008-08-12, 07:46 PM

Atan shrugged, and looked up at Liam. "Spiders and spider meals, it looks like, unfortunately. I can't help but feel that we're missing something, though..." he said, his voice trailing off wistfully.

The_Snark
2008-08-12, 07:48 PM
Nuale

"We might not have been the first ones to come here," Nuale suggests. A wizard's abandoned home certainly would not have had anything useful left in it where she came from. "Maybe somebody else found it first."

AngelForm
2008-08-13, 05:22 AM

Somewhat disappointed Azurous climes back out of the pit and approaches Epsun, showing his wounded hand he asks “Can you magic heal this?”

Irrealist
2008-08-13, 09:49 AM
Now that Nuale thinks about it and looks about, there are almost no stones lying around the clearing outside of the ruins of the tower.

TwoCents
2008-08-13, 08:00 PM

Minya looked around the basement, trying to estimate if the rubble was consistent with a destroyed tower. Was there enough here? Was it the right kind of rubble?

"Friends, do you think we're not seeing something? Or perhaps seeing something that is not? Is this the right tower?"

OOC: Elvish searching for secret doors going on, too.

Irrealist
2008-08-13, 08:07 PM
The stones lying around are of the same kind as the ones that make up the ruins of the building, but by putting them all back together you would get a wall that is at most two or three feet high.

OOC: That "detect secret doors" ability is always active.

Wiz
2008-08-14, 12:56 AM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam looks thoughtful, "People have in all likelyhood gleaned the stones for their homes and huts... previous scavengers probably made off with anything interesting."

Daryk
2008-08-16, 07:16 AM

"I don't know, Liam. Unless peasants around here are a whole lot braver and more desperate for stone than the ones up North, I don't think they'd come this far. I'm no conjurer, but didn't the story have something to do with a summoning? Is it possible some of the stones went home with the demon or whatever?" Atan asked, looking up from the floor of the basement. Gesturing in a broad circle, he added, "Or maybe the explosion was so forceful, it flung the missing stones out into the forest?"

Greyen
2008-08-16, 07:45 AM
Lirt

The halfling brewer looks at the wreckage and down into the cellar, I think its more likely that this has become a 'bogey-man' for the village. Something this close has been picked over by every adventuring party that has ever landed in town. We should probably start moving on.

Daryk
2008-08-16, 08:43 AM

"Bogey man or no, something isn't right, and I'm curious to know what it is. I doubt enough adventurers have been through to remove so much stone. I mean, how many souvenirs could they take?" Atan asked, pacing a bit in the cellar.

Wiz
2008-08-16, 09:02 AM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam frowns, looking thoughtful. "Well, maybe this 'demon' was something else. You know how peasants might characterize any summoned creature that was violent as a demon. Perhaps it was something earth-elemental based, like a Xorn, that eats rock?" He shrugs, "Unless someone sees tracks to identify which way somebody has been going, perhaps with the rock, I'm supposing we probably should move on."

Irrealist
2008-08-16, 09:44 AM
Somewhat disappointed Azurous climes back out of the pit and approaches Epsun, showing his wounded hand he asks “Can you magic heal this?”

Epsun takes a good look at your hand. "This doesn't look serious." He further inspects the wound then pulls out a small leather pack, from which he takes a clean piece of cloth. He drenches it in water, and wipes your hand clean, then takes a bandage and wraps it around your hand to protect it from dirt, then cheerfully pats you on the back. "Now it should be ok. By tomorrow it will be a lot better already. When the wound is closed, please wash the bandage and cook it before returning it to me."

Turning to the rest of the party, he adds to the discussion: "So Atan, you want to go looking for missing stones? I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here."

The_Snark
2008-08-16, 12:12 PM
Nuale

Nuale nods agreement. "I don't really see what it has to do with us, unless we plan to camp here sometime."

AngelForm
2008-08-16, 01:21 PM

After being treated by Epsun and thanking him Azurous considers for a moment before giving his opinion of the situation. “We are probably missing something here, but I think it best we move on. We don’t have the spells to search effectively or to track anything powerful enough to do this. Given our time is limited I propose we finish the task we have been set. We can return to solve this mystery when we have greater magic’s at our disposal.”

Wiz
2008-08-16, 02:04 PM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam nods, "I agree... makes sense to me. Let's go find those lizards."

TwoCents
2008-08-16, 07:29 PM

"It is a puzzlement, but let us move on. Perhaps we can learn more later." Minya climbed up the rope and rearranged her clothes for overland travel. "So, brother, ready to lead off?"

Daryk
2008-08-17, 07:59 AM

Retrieving his rope, Atan again cast a wistful glance about the site, but then pushed it out of his mind. Answering his sister, he said, "Ok, where were the lizards again? I know somebody looked into it..."

Irrealist
2008-08-17, 09:22 AM
Emmis comes forward: "I've got the map of the forest I found, but it's only a rough one. Not much detail at all."

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/8459/maphullack3gd8.th.png (http://img292.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maphullack3gd8.png)

Wiz
2008-08-17, 12:25 PM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam glances at the map. "They like swampy areas and riverbanks for their nesting sites... perhaps where this stream enters the forest, and follow it in?"

AngelForm
2008-08-19, 11:50 AM

“Lets head towards the river then.” Azurous studies the map for a moment then looks around. He points in the direction he believes the river to be, “That way is probably our best bet.” Looking to Atan he asks “Will you scout again?”

Daryk
2008-08-19, 07:34 PM

"Certainly. Shall we head through the forest straight to the river, or back along the road to the village first?" Atan asked.

harmonictempest
2008-08-19, 09:51 PM
Epsun

After looking over the map, Epsun chimes in. I'm not sure why we'd go back to the village - I say head toward the lizards, which seems to be along the river.

AngelForm
2008-08-20, 02:45 AM

“It is unlikely we will find the lizards on known paths, lets move through the forest.”

Wiz
2008-08-21, 12:56 AM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam nods, "If we can be sure of our directions... why not?"

Daryk
2008-08-21, 05:12 AM

Not hearing any objections to a direct path, Atan nodded and headed off into the forest.

Do I need a survival check, or will taking 10 do the trick?

Greyen
2008-08-21, 05:19 AM
Lirt

Lirt follows along quietly, his line of mules more his focus that the surroundings though.

Irrealist
2008-08-21, 10:34 AM
You fall into the same marching order you have agreed on earlier that day, and trot off, following Atan's unerring lead. With the mules taking all the heavy load, the march is more like a weekend hike to you. The undergrowth is only a minor nuisance to you, and you try to avoid the brushier patches without making too long a detour. You try hard, but keeping up your guard for hours at a time proves difficult. Hours pass uneventfully, and the sun is setting in the West, as it is supposed to.

TwoCents
2008-08-22, 12:12 AM

At one of the rest breaks, Minya asked a question of the group, her face pinking with embarassment. "Um, I don't recall. Are these lizards we're looking for diurnal or nocturnal?"

Wiz
2008-08-25, 02:45 AM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam frowns, "I don't recall, precisely. I do believe they have very good night vision, so they might indeed be nocturnal." He looks around, "Actually, this might be a good place to camp... it is getting late."

Daryk
2008-08-26, 04:43 PM

Seeing the others begin setting up camp, Atan headed out to hunt.

Taking 10 on a survival roll for a total of 14. Since he's only foraging for two rations worth (vice three), he can accomplish that in about four hours with that result, right?

harmonictempest
2008-08-26, 07:10 PM
Epsun

Seeing the camp begin to take shape for the evening, and realizing he would have little to add to the tent-raising and dinner-cooking efforts, Epsun cast about for something else he could add. Seeing Atan headed out of the camp to hunt for dinner, he hurried after him. "Atan! I don't know my way around a hunt like you do, but I'm not bad with a crossbow, and I know a decent bit about what's edible, easy to find, that sort of thing. Mind if I help?"

If he's allowed to come, Espun will let Atan do the searching for prey while he keeps more of an eye out for edible plants, berries, and anything else that might better suit elven or vegetarian members of the party. When Atan finds something promising, Epsun will let him take the lead, backing him up with the second shot or pair of eyes where necessary. Not wanting to tread on Atan's toes in his area of expertise, he'll let Atan run the show, lending support where he can.
Survival Aid Another: 2 (blech - I wasn't planning to roll, but I didn't know if you could take 10 on Aid Another)
Knowledge (nature): 24
Search (in case it's appropriate): 10

Daryk
2008-08-26, 07:45 PM

After Epsun spooked the third rabbit in a row, Atan looked at him with an exasperated expression. "Look, Epsun. I know you're trying to help, but... please. Maybe you could just stay here for a few minutes, or head back to camp? Looks like you've got a decent lot of berries, there..."

A 1? I just couldn't let that one lie... :smallbiggrin:

AngelForm
2008-08-27, 04:36 AM

As the group begins to set up camp Azurous considers his food supply, he sees Atan leave to go hunting, Epsun in tow. Well we seem to have some time on our hands. Come on Scrya, time to catch supper.

Leaving most of his gear in the relative safety of the camp and taking only his weapons Azurous sets off in the opposite direction to Atan. No point competing for game.

Ok taking 10 on survival gives 14 so I should be able to get food for myself in the time Atan is out, I do my own hunting :smallwink:
I’m assuming a ferret in the woods can keep itself fed.

Irrealist
2008-08-27, 07:55 PM
Atan moves through the forest like a trained woodsman, stopping here and there to pick up some edible plants. Even if his hunt would be unlucky, he still would have enough food to survive. He looks for some animal tracks, and is lucky, only to lose them again after some time. Another pair of tracks leads to a small waterhole, and he sets up camp there for some time, hoping to catch a thirsty deer. He waits in vain, maybe it is already too dark for most of the animals to be active. After a while he gives up, making his way back to the camp in order to arrive in time for his watch duty. He has collected enough plants, leaves, weeds and berries for Minya and him to even have a nice breakfast.

Azurous first moves deeper into the forest to get away from the noisy camp, then starts looking for tracks and other hints of animals in the area. Despite the sun already setting behind the treetops, he is lucky, stumbling across a patch of wild berries while he is looking for tracks. He pads his belt pouch with leaves, and plucks as many as he can, storing them in his pouch and in a fold of his shirt that he holds up. He can still drop them if something better shows up. Just as he finishes plucking berries, he hears something rustle nearby, and spots a rabbit sitting only about two dozen feet away. He reaches for his crossbow and loads, and the rabbit innocently starts hopping away. Azurous sneaks after him, and when the rabbit stops again, he is ready. The rabbit drops dead immediately. Happy, Azurous walks over to the body and removes the bolt. Grabbing the rabbit by the ears, he makes his way home, backtracking the way he came.
Even sneaking carefully after the rabbit, the hunt had taken less than half an hour from the patch of berries, but after more half an hour of walking back, he has not reached it yet. Under the darkening sky, the forest looks so so different, and after some more searching, it dawns on him that he is not going to find the way back to the camp anytime soon.

Back at the camp, Emmis wonders why Azurous is not back in time for his watch. Trahone volunteers to assist him. "Azurous does not have a reliable means of measuring time, so we can't expect him to be punctual. I can take over the first hour of his shift. If he still is not here by then, we should start to worry".

Wiz
2008-08-27, 08:15 PM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam sets his bedroll near the fire, he looks concerned when there is no appearance of Azurous.

harmonictempest
2008-08-27, 08:27 PM
Epsun

Epsun, taken aback by his unusual clumsiness in the hunt, nods, and returns to camp after assuring Atan that he usually isn't nearly as bad in the woods as all that.

Oh, I wouldn't have let it lie, either. :-P

AngelForm
2008-08-28, 02:48 AM

As the light fades and the camp continually fails to appear Azurous stops to consider his options.
It did not take this long to get out here, it seems unlikely that this is due to malicious action on the part of anything else. If it was I would probably be dead by now. Still without my spellbook sleeping out here would be a waste of resources regardless of danger.

Scrya looks like I will be relying on your eyes to get us back. Enthusiastic as always Scrya replies I will find the way! Azurous places his familiar on his shoulder and the pair move off hopefully towards the camp.

What happened? How can I get lost with a 14 on survival?! :smallfurious:
Ok rant over :smallbiggrin:
Azurous will continue trying to find the others for as long as low light vision is effective. After that I will think again.

Irrealist
2008-08-28, 06:24 AM
After an hour passes, Trahone nods to Emmis. "I think it's time to worry now."

Azurous follows Scrya, and a while later he recognizes a place where he has been before. Happy to have found the way back, he wanders on through the dark forest.

Irrealist
2008-08-29, 07:19 AM
Emmis
Emmis agrees. "You are right, he might be in danger. Let's go wake the others." Together the two go around, wake everybody up, and gather them around the campfire. "Azurous has not returned yet from his hunt. he was scheduled to start his watch one hour ago. Atan is not here either, but he said he would be gone until his watch starts, which is in two hours. What do we do?"

Wiz
2008-08-29, 10:04 AM
Liam Ravenquill

Is woken from his rest. "Wha...?"

TwoCents
2008-08-29, 06:50 PM

"Oh my. Well, I can try to call Atan back," said Minya, once she had been pried from her trance. She rummaged around in her gear for a moment and pulled out a signal whistle and her waterskin. After a drink to lubricate herself, she began to blow a short pattern of tones as loud as she could. Several repetitions later, she stopped and explained, "That's the 'come home now' call, not the 'emergency' call." She tried again in ten minutes, and repeated the cycle every ten minutes until she heard an answer from Atan.

Daryk
2008-08-30, 11:34 AM

Atan arrived in camp with his harvest, a little bewildered at why everyone was up and about. "What's going on?" he asked with a raised eyebrow.

Irrealist
2008-08-31, 08:31 PM
Emmis gives you the same short briefing: "Azurous has not returned yet from his hunt. he was scheduled to start his watch two hours ago. Shouldn't we go look for him?"

Daryk
2008-08-31, 08:42 PM

"By all means, yes! If he's not back yet, he's likely lost out there in the dark somewhere. Let me stow the berries and such, and I'll go right back out for him," Atan said. When he finished, he pulled out his signal whistle and added, "I'll blow my whistle periodically to increase the chances of him hearing us, and so you'll have some idea of my progress."

That said, Atan confidently strode back out into the gloom, blowing his whistle every minute or two, searching for Azurous using a spiral search pattern as he'd been taught by his uncle.

Or any wandering monsters that might be attracted to a shrill signal whistle... :smallamused:
Besides, now we can empirically determine the range of these things... :smallbiggrin:
And before I forget to mention it, Atan is wandering around at full speed.

TwoCents
2008-09-02, 03:29 PM

I was holding off on posting to let someone else speak up :cough: :cough: so this didn't become the WonderTwins Power Game :smalltongue:

Minya sighed with relief when Atan returned. She wasn't worried, not really, but the incipient panic in Trahone and Emmis' demeanors was contagious. All her life People had been wandering off into the woods for an hour or a day or a week or whatever, so Azurous' absence hadn't bothered her. Other than his failing to do his chore of standing watch, but that happened too. Watch standing was boring, after all.

Very, very boring. Minya sighed with disappointment when she realized she would probably have to take Atan's watch, while he looked for the missing Azurous. Whatever else happened, however, the base camp had to be defended. The mules were here, and the gear was here.

"Does anyone have any means of generating a signal light for a long time? Something Azurous could use to home in on, despite the thickness of the woods? I have nothing other than cantrips and short spells." She looked hopefully around and then began to collect a large supply of wood; perhaps a bonfire would help. Of course, setting fire to the woods wouldn't help, so the fire needed to be carefully placed to avoid overhanging tree branches or underground root complexes. Minya might not be the forester Atan was, but she was enough of an elf to understand that.

While she pulled wood from the forest, she stayed close enough to see the small camp fire. Cerpe perched morosely on a nearby branch, fluttering about after her and grumbling.

<in Draconic>"This is no time to be awake, Minya. I should be sleeping. It's not easy to look this good, you know. Besides, if Scrya can't get his mage out of the woods, why is it my problem?"
"Stop whining and stay alert, Cerpe. I'm not in the mood."
"Not in the mood. Not in the mood. You're always in a mood."
"Cerpe..."
"Fine, but if I sleep through breakfast because you kept me up all night it's all your fault!"

AngelForm
2008-09-02, 05:35 PM

Having been wandering around the wood for a little over an hour Azurous bursts into song, badly but in draconic and very loudly. Not whole songs, just bits and peaces of ancient sagas he remembers his family singing with the occasional hymn to Ilmater thrown in.

Scrya both alarmed and confused projects You will attract predators! Azurous pauses in his butchering of a hymn and chuckles slightly before resuming his artistic endeavour. Across the empathic link he tells Scrya Anything not scared of this that can hear will try to eat us anyway.

Almost subconsciously Azurous, wonders if he is thinking straight or if his advancing weariness combined with the venom from earlier was making him slightly delirious.

Well I would post more but I have little to add at the moment.

Wiz
2008-09-03, 12:35 AM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam frowns, shaking his head. "I can cast a color spray, but that has very short range and is near instantaneous. If I shot it into the air he might see it... if he happened to be looking this way... and if he wasn't too far away."

Irrealist
2008-09-03, 08:39 AM
Atan takes off, periodically blowing his whistle. About half an hour later, Azurous hears someone blowing a whistle. Relieved, he heads in the general direction of the sound, and some time later, Atan spots a humanoid shape coming towards him. Both are happy that they have found each other, and head back to the camp, which they find without problems this time.

Daryk
2008-09-03, 06:06 PM

"Azurous! There you are! We've been looking all over for you! Are you all right?" Atan asked.

The_Snark
2008-09-03, 07:53 PM
Nuale

Nuale mentions that she might be able to scribe a scroll for some kind of light or Flare spell, but doesn't seem too confident that it will work. Although it would probably be better for her to sleep while she can, she stays up with the others, watching the woods around and helping Minya gather up the firewood.

Wiz
2008-09-05, 01:14 AM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam looks only half-awake. "What happened, Azurous?"

harmonictempest
2008-09-05, 09:07 AM
Epsun

Rolls over, and is about to fall back asleep when he hears the minor hubbub. Sleepily standing up, he asks "Did I miss my shift?"

AngelForm
2008-09-05, 10:12 AM

Azurous breathes a sigh of relief upon seeing Atan. “I’m fine, just got lost when the light started fading.”

Daryk
2008-09-05, 06:23 PM

"Oh good! Let's get back to camp, eh?" Atan asked, beckoning Azurous and Scrya along.

Atan takes the most direct route back to camp, making sure not to lose Azurous in the gloom. Periodically, he used his whistle to signal he was returning to camp.

Irrealist
2008-09-05, 06:59 PM
In the camp, you hear the signal whistle in fairly regular intervals from very different positions, seemingly moving away from you. Time passes, and then the sound of the whistle seems to be moving towards you again, and the signal has changed. Minya explains to you that Atan must have found Azurous, and is signaling his return. Sure enough, after a while the two appear from the dark woods outside the bright spot lighted by the fire.

TwoCents
2008-09-07, 12:40 PM

"Welcome home, gentlemen!" Minya greeted the two wanderers happily, while Cerpe made a rude remark under his breath about familiars who should know better than to let their charges wander around in the dark and get lost.

"May I suggest we take advantage of this opportunity? Since we seek a nocturnal beast, we probably should rest during the day and hunt it at dusk anyway. Let's start over with the watch list and get moving once everyone has had a chance to recover," Minya continued, feeling vaguely like a den mother but realizing that she was actually the oldest person there. Odd, very odd. She wasn't sure she liked it.

"Does anyone have any suggestions for what we should do to catch these shocker lizards?" Minya asked, hopefully, as she brewed a pot of tea at the campfire.

Daryk
2008-09-07, 03:13 PM

Atan smiled broadly and said, "Thank you, sister dear! All's well that ends well..."

At her suggestion, he said, "I have no objections to letting everyone sleep in a bit. Seems there's been a bit more excitement than planned tonight. As far as 'catching' this lizards, I've found that most things are easy to catch once they have an arrow or two in 'em..."

The_Snark
2008-09-07, 05:20 PM
Nuale

"That sounds like a good plan," Nuale nods. "Maybe we can do some of our hunting in the afternoon, too. Before it gets dark."

"As for catching them, Dean Bighat said the skins need not be whole. I think that a few arrows, or spells if you can manage them, would be enough." She shrugs; maybe someone here knows how to set snares and the like for wildlife, but she doesn't.

Wiz
2008-09-08, 02:42 AM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam nods, "Well, I'm going to try and get some sleep so I can study my spell again. Night all, wake me for lastwatch."

harmonictempest
2008-09-08, 09:19 AM
Epsun

Epsun grins sleepily. Yeh, hittin' it before it gets close would sure be preferable to one of us gettin' sizzled while we try to capture it. Anyways, I'm goin' back to sleep. Wake me for last watch.

Irrealist
2008-09-08, 09:49 AM
All except for Emmis and Azurous crawl back into their bedrolls. Emmis mumbles something baout having to pull a double shift, then sits down by the fire and tries to chat a little with Azurous. The crawls by slowly, but their shift finally ends without any more excitement. Everybody takes his turn at watch, and in the late morning, the last watch wakes everybody for breakfast after seeing the sun rise and holding watch during the following daylight hours.

AngelForm
2008-09-08, 11:54 AM

Azurous seems quiet when they return to camp, only speaking up to show his assent to restarting the watch.

In the morning he prepares his spells and readies his equipment then waits for the others to do the same, offering his help if he sees it could be useful. When all is in order he looks to the Istaya siblings for direction.

harmonictempest
2008-09-08, 12:08 PM
Epsun

Holding watch during broad daylight was not what Epsun had imagined, but he takes to it cheerfully, chatting quietly with his watchmates but otherwise taking the job rather seriously and staying alert.

When his watch is over, he produces an iron pot from his luggage and proceeds to sound it like a gong before moving about to wake the heavier sleepers. Having begun a little of his morning toilet during his watch, he has less left to do than the others. Withdrawing slightly, he lays out his prayerbook and notes, and chews trail rations idly while choosing the day's arsenal. As he begins, a thought strikes him. We're all pretty different in our specialties, but there's still only so many spells out there. Should we communicate about what we're preparing for the day, so as to cover our bases and not overlap too much?

Wiz
2008-09-11, 10:22 AM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam nods, "I was figuring on stunning them at close range with my wand of color spray. So, I was going to study my mage armor and shield spells, as well as take three prestidigitation spells to handle the corpses and skins."

TwoCents
2008-09-11, 02:11 PM

Minya, dozing comfortably in a nearby tree, sat up suddenly when the infernal gonging started and scraped her ear on a branch. Reflex and old habits kept her from cursing -- out loud at least -- while she plotted her revenge. Eventually, Epsun came close enough to the tree for the elf to make the attempt. Carefully measuring crosswind effects and target drop like the trained archer she was, she flung her first acorn, followed by a flurry of others.

While most of Minya's missiles whizzed past or bounced off of intervening branches, one found the target. "Ahah!" she cried theatrically while she distentangled herself from her hammock. "Woe be unto he who disturbs a sleeping elf!" The effect was unfortunately marred by a fit of giggles.

"Yes, well, spells. I'm an evocation specialist, so my usual arsenal is Magic Missile, Burning Hands, Scorching Ray, with a Mage Armor and a utility spell to round things out. I've been taking Alarm rather than Comprehend Languages out here. I suppose with the wand I can take another evocation spell?..." her voice trailed off as she looked over at Azurous for confirmation.

AngelForm
2008-09-11, 03:31 PM

“We have yet to test the wand but I have a mage armour and magic missile prepared. We would probably be best off with as much destructive magic as possible.”

harmonictempest
2008-09-11, 05:11 PM
Epsun (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=54494)

Raising his hands theatrically to ward off the miniature missiles, Epsun chuckles briefly before replying innocently "I'm sorry, I didn't know elves slept.."

When spells are being discussed, Epsun adds "Well, with all those flashy blasting sorts of arcane spells, I think I'll stick to the healing spells I know, since you wizard folks can't manage them. I plan to take front line if need be, as the best armored, so I'm also taking a Command spell. And I almost always prepare Comprehend Languages, just in case."

Daryk
2008-09-11, 06:29 PM

Atan shrugged at all the spell planning going on around him. He hadn't cast any spells in days, and still had his original set in memory, just in case.

That set being:
Endure Elements (not cast because the weather has been agreeable so far),
True Strike (no combat),
Detect Magic (someone else took care of it),
Mage Hand (no mischief requiring it has come to mind)
Prestidigitation (ditto)

Daryk
2008-09-13, 10:20 AM

Seeing the conversation die, Atan spoke up: "Well, now that that's settled, let's get breakfast and get moving, eh?"

Wiz
2008-09-13, 12:40 PM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam nods, "Indeed, lets see what we can find. I think following the stream offers the best opportunity of finding a nest of the creatures, although... if we find a colony, that could be bad. They're much worse in numbers."

The_Snark
2008-09-14, 02:52 PM
Nuale

"We can always stay away if there's a lot of them," Nuale points out. "Are they aggressive enough that they would chase us?"

Daryk
2008-09-14, 03:12 PM

"Even if they are, I bet we can outrun 'em," Atan said, grinning.

The_Snark
2008-09-14, 03:18 PM
Nuale

"Well, you probably could," Nuale says with a bit of a smile. "Lirt and Emmis might have a bit more trouble, though."

Wiz
2008-09-14, 03:23 PM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam looks thoughtful, "As long as we work as a group it should be fine."

Daryk
2008-09-14, 03:31 PM

"Yeah, Liam's right. I think I could carry at least Lirt, and maybe Emmis with some help. Are we ready yet? I'm itching to go hunt some lizards!" Atan replied enthusiastically.

AngelForm
2008-09-14, 05:01 PM

Azurous stays quiet during the discussion, partly as he trusts the decisions of his friends but also because he can come up with nothing better. While the others talk he recalls the earlier conversation and his knowledge of their weapons, wondering how many lizards they could take down with their current resources.

TwoCents
2008-09-15, 03:34 PM

"The old gentleman I spoke to told me a tale of woodsmen dropping dried fish behind and the lizards stopping to snack, so the villagers escaped. He was probably pulling my leg, but..." With a sheepish smile, Minya revealed a package of dried fish. "Of course, if they really like this stuff, I've turned myself into a lizard treat," she added, ruefully.

"In all seriousness, though, I don't know how we should hunt the beasts. I'm just along to provide arrows and force magic at the appropriate moments; someone else," she said, looking pointedly at her brother, "has to find them."

"I think Liam is right, and we should move camp when we travel, at least until we find an area that looks like it might be a shocker lizard habitat. Then we can set up a base camp if we want to."

harmonictempest
2008-09-15, 05:56 PM
Epsun

I agree as well; they'd be more likely to have nests further from the village, right? At mention of outrunning them, Epsun casts a glance down at his somewhat cumbersome breastplate. Hmm, did anyone find out how they tend to attack? This armor's great against claws, but it'd turn me into a lightning rod against their electricity. And it'd sure slow me down if we have to run.

Daryk
2008-09-15, 06:48 PM

Looking back at his sister, Atan replied, "Well, if you want to do it that way, then just tell me, sheesh. We'd need a place to meet back up, though. Not that finding a herd of mages in the woods would be hard, but it would vastly simplify things." He made a bit of a face, but didn't actually stick his tongue out at her.

TwoCents
2008-09-15, 10:47 PM

Minya looked at Atan and shook her head in mock despair. "No, baby brother, I did not mean 'why don't you go wander around alone in the forest again since that worked so well last night,' I meant someone who knows more about the habits and behaviour of our prey should be the one who decides how to go about finding them. 'Sheesh', yourself."

Wiz
2008-09-15, 11:16 PM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam nods, "So are we all for following the river some more?"

Irrealist
2008-09-16, 09:58 AM
You pack up camp and fall into the same marching order as the day before, with Atan scounting ahead. The sun is already high in the sky, but the forest gives you enough shadow that you can march easily without exhausing yourself too much. You follow the river until the sun sets again, making only a short rest to eat something in the early afternoon.

When the sun touches the horizon, you stop and set up camp as the day before.

harmonictempest
2008-09-16, 10:15 AM
Epsun

Thankfully doffing his heavy armor, Espun sighs. So, how long do we plan on searching before changing our tactics?

Wiz
2008-09-16, 10:39 AM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam shrugs as he sets up his bedroll, "Well, we have only been looking for two days... reason says it may take a few more. I'm sure we will start changing our tacticts soon if these don't pan out. If the local lizards prefer swampy areas to riverbanks, then following the river is still our best bet of finding marshy conditions."

TwoCents
2008-09-20, 08:28 PM

"Do we want to send out a group without the mules to look for the lizards? Maybe we've been scaring them off?" asked Minya, as she started peeling potatoes for the stew.

Prestidigitation is your friend

Daryk
2008-09-21, 07:40 AM

"Well, sister dear, that might be the case, but we haven't seen any marshland yet, so I don't think so. If we were creeping through reeds for two days and hadn't seen any, I'd agree," Atan said.

harmonictempest
2008-09-23, 02:04 PM
Epsun

The gnome settles with a grunt of satisfaction on his laid-out bedroll and begins rearranging his pack so it'll sit better tomorrow. Makes sense to me - that map show at all how far we should expect to go before finding a swamp?

Wiz
2008-09-23, 09:51 PM
Liam Ravenquill

Liam frowns, "They like swamps, and riverbanks... lets follow the river for at least a day more before we try setting a permanant camp. Perhaps we'll find lizard sign along the way... everyone keep an eye on the banks for tracks and such."

TwoCents
2008-09-23, 10:25 PM

"So, we will keep moving through the woods by day, looking for signs of lizard nests, until we reach the swamp. Then, we set up a base camp and go on excursions? Are we agreed?"

If the others agreed, the group set up camp for the night, fulfilled their watch schedule rotations, and moved to a new site the next day, doing this every day until the terrain changed to a more swampy, lizard likely region.

harmonictempest
2008-09-24, 12:02 AM
Epsun

Nods vigorously. Not that camping isn't romantic and all, but I'm in no great hurry to spend longer out here than we need to.

Agreed. Fast forward as necessary.

Irrealist
2008-10-06, 01:50 AM
Two days pass uneventfully, as you make your way through the forest. There is no trail that you can follow, and the undergrowth seems to get thicker, making your progress more tiresome. The canopy also allows less light to pass, making even the brightest days look like an eternal dusk. When you camp at night, you hear twigs cracking around the camp, but no source can be found when you go to check. At the end of the third day, the ground gets softer and muddier, and you turn back a little to set up camp on firm ground. Reddish light filters through the leaves above you when you finish putting up your tents.

Daryk
2008-10-06, 06:44 PM

Once camp was set up, Atan headed out for his usual evening hunt. He was perhaps a bit more cautious than usual, given the marshy turn in the terrain. He kept an arrow nocked as he wandered under the trees, senses open to the likelihood of things that didn't recognize him as top of the food chain.

Wiz
2008-10-06, 06:53 PM
Ravenquill

Liam looks around the camp, "I agree... sooner back is better. We just need to decide how we're sending out parties to look for the lizards and who's staying to guard the camp."

harmonictempest
2008-10-06, 10:20 PM
Epsun

The gnome nods assent as he looks around the campsite. If there are lizards nearby, this shouldn't be too bad a place to stay for a day or two while we search. I'd be happy to team up with anyone - we covered shocker lizards in Fauna Arcana, so I'm sure I'll remember a useful thing or two if we have to fight them.

Dark Tactics 3/day. :-)

The_Snark
2008-10-06, 11:45 PM
Nuale

"We shouldn't split up too much," Nuale says, sitting leaning against a tree, her spear leaning against it next to her. The last two days, she's been glad she chose to bring a weapon that doubled as a walking-stick. "It might be dangerous to get lost in swampland."

AngelForm
2008-10-07, 06:22 AM
Azurous

“I don’t see much reason to split up at all except between the hunting group and those guarding the camp.” Azurous readies his weapons and moves to the edge of the camp before settling down to keep watch. Scrya climbing a nearby tree to begin his own vigil.

TwoCents
2008-10-07, 03:57 PM

"Yes, indeed. Two groups only. I am quite happy to wander the woods with my brother, my bow, and my spell components, but someone needs to guard the camp. Does anyone want that task?," asked Minya as she settled into the routine of setting up the camp again.

Wiz
2008-10-07, 07:29 PM
Ravenquill

Liam shrugs, "I can go either way. Stay or go."

harmonictempest
2008-10-13, 05:26 PM
Epsun

Glancing at the low sun, Epsun adds Well, I'm easy either way, much like Liam, but we shouldn't all be so agreeable, or we'll not get anything managed before nightfall. For the sake of reaching a consensus, how does a hunting party of Minya, Atan, and Azurous sound? The rest of us can stay in camp. The gnome seems much less interested in being agreed with as he does in a consensus being reached.

Wiz
2008-10-13, 06:08 PM
Ravenquill

Liam shrugs, "Sounds good to me."

Daryk
2008-10-13, 07:02 PM

On his way out of camp to hunt, Atan overheard the conversation and interjected, "I thought I'd just poke around for food as usual tonight, and the hunting group would go out tomorrow. If you're coming tonight, I'm leaving now."

AngelForm
2008-10-14, 07:33 AM
Azurous

“I will gladly aid Atan on his hunts.” however unsuitable I prove for the task. he adds to himself.

Leaving his non-essential (for hunting) gear in the camp Azurous rises to fallow Atan.