PDA

View Full Version : Wackiest Paladin Mount

Copacetic
2008-05-24, 10:03 AM
What would be, in your opinion, the Strangest Paladin Mount? Mine would have to be a Kraken. One ring of airwalk and neckalce of adaptation later and it can go in air too. And quite nothing says "Unleash the Fury" Like Flying into battle on a giant squid. But mabye that's just me. :smallwink:

Cinnamonbunnies
2008-05-24, 10:38 AM
Oh yes. The air kraken. (http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs16/f/2007/149/e/1/Air_Kraken_by_Simian_Cephalopod.png)

The Faceless
2008-05-24, 10:53 AM
I seem to remember hearing that someone built a Sentient sword as a paladin, who took a human as his mount, the human took druid levels and got a horse as his animal companion, then awakened the horse, had it take sorcerer levels and get a raven as its familiar...

Not sure if that's doable though.

BRC
2008-05-24, 10:58 AM
I seem to remember hearing that someone built a Sentient sword as a paladin, who took a human as his mount, the human took druid levels and got a horse as his animal companion, then awakened the horse, had it take sorcerer levels and get a raven as its familiar...

My next character is TOTALLY a sentient sword.

Albonor
2008-05-24, 11:03 AM
I am just about to give my groups paladin his mount....a celestial copper auroch...a RED BULL!!!!

No kidding. That thing will be strong and hard to hit...!

Fishy
2008-05-24, 11:37 AM

Nono, get the human mount to take Soulknife levels. Then you have a sword that can summon a human that can summon a sword.

I am just about to give my groups paladin his mount....a celestial copper auroch...a RED BULL!!!!

No kidding. That thing will be strong and hard to hit...!

Remember to give it the +3 CR adjustment for a flying paladin mount.

(Because Red Bull gives you wiiiiiiings!)

bosssmiley
2008-05-24, 11:47 AM
Big, brightly glowing celestial dire mountain goat for a dwarven paladin.

v-- Believe it or not, a simple MM bison with the skill points juggled more into balance, climb and jump.

Albonor
2008-05-24, 11:54 AM

I'm actually looking for stats for a dire mountain goat. What did you use?

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-24, 12:06 PM
I haven't actually done it yet, but if I really did the Mind Flayer Paladin (the closest I've got is a Favoured Soul of Trithereon//Illithid Slayer), I've been discussing mounting him on a Large Intellect Devourer.

bigbaddragon
2008-05-24, 12:11 PM
Five-lion-legs-in-a-circle-like-a-starfish-with-a-lion-head-on-either-side-in-the-center.

How do you ride that?

(Perhaps someone has a link to the picture, I can't find one)

Chronos
2008-05-24, 12:23 PM
How do you ride that?Give it ranks in Juggle.

And it's not the one from the Tome of Magic, but here's a picture of the mythological spirit Buer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buer), on which the Roving Mauler (and the vestige Buer) is based.

bigbaddragon
2008-05-24, 12:30 PM
Give it ranks in Juggle.

Or with some wacky equipment you could turn it into a monocycle :smallwink:

puppyavenger
2008-05-24, 12:38 PM
Or with some wacky equipment you could turn it into a monocycle :smallwink:

no,a unicycle:smallsmile:

The Necroswanso
2008-05-24, 12:43 PM
Saw the title and was going to say "Flying Squid" but you beat me....
Wackiest mount eh? Now, keep in mind in order to have this several monsters will have to get it on. There is no flavor to this mount, only powergaming.

Half celestial, half dragon, half illithid, psuedonatural, dire moose/weasel.
If it could speak, it would only weep.

Inyssius Tor
2008-05-24, 12:44 PM
Half-Celestial Gargantuan Black Pudding.

Nothing says "UNLEASH THE FURY" like a flying, forty-foot-wide, two-foot-deep inky black pool of slime--dripping corrosive acid and burning with holy wrath as it soars into battle on two massive feathered wings.

Xuincherguixe
2008-05-24, 01:08 PM
I was tempted to suggest an Elephant, but that's not really that out of the ordinary.

Expanding on the sword, how about a book instead?

Or, giant floating eyeball?

tarbrush
2008-05-24, 01:13 PM
I heard tell of a very very silly Ubercharger build based around the concept of a Tiny paladin riding a housecat. Which hit like an articulated truck.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-24, 01:19 PM

Nothing says "UNLEASH THE FURY" like a flying, forty-foot-wide, two-foot-deep inky black pool of slime--dripping corrosive acid and burning with holy wrath as it soars into battle on two massive feathered wings.

Impossible Creatures has been one upped.

TempusCCK
2008-05-24, 01:21 PM
For sheer shock value... a giraffe. I mean, W-t-f? The all might paladin, smiter of evil, the tool excersizeb by the right hand of the Gods themselves..... need's a minute to get out his ladder so he can chase down evil on his celestial giraffe....

RTGoodman
2008-05-24, 01:53 PM
I haven't seen him around in a while, but Fax_Celestis had a character a while back for some game that was a sentient squirrel Paladin or Knight with a sparrow mount, or something like that. He even had it as his avatar for a while.

As for me, I don't have any "crazy" mounts, but the coolest one was definitely my Talenta Paladin of Freedom's Fleshraker Dinosaur mount. Shame that game only last one session...

skywalker
2008-05-24, 02:04 PM
I haven't seen him around in a while, but Fax_Celestis ...Yeah, still wondering where Fax went. C'est la vie...

Anyway... I know it's not a Paladin per se but I know a guy whose blackguard rode a corpse collector(a spike-covered warforged who combs battlefields looking for bodies, and then thrusting them on its spikes to return to its masters for gruesome purposes) with a very special saddle.

The Extinguisher
2008-05-24, 02:10 PM
The wackiest I can think of would be a Displacer Beast Paladin with some kind of humanoid celestial as a mount.

Mando Knight
2008-05-24, 02:26 PM
I haven't seen him around in a while, but Fax_Celestis had a character a while back for some game that was a sentient squirrel Paladin or Knight with a sparrow mount, or something like that. He even had it as his avatar for a while.

Now that ya mention it, I haven't noticed Fax in a while, either...

The Squirrel Paladin sounds like something out of Redwall.

I think a wacky mount would be a giant animated flying banana ridden by an awakened ape.

FlyMolo
2008-05-24, 02:40 PM
Squirrel on a sparrow wins.

Although a flying kraken is a close second.

RTGoodman
2008-05-24, 02:47 PM
I think a wacky mount would be a giant animated flying banana ridden by an awakened ape.

And now you have me wanting to make Donkey Kong Country into a d20 setting, complete with awakened apes riding on ostriches, swordfish, rhinos, and frogs...

Zenos
2008-05-24, 02:50 PM
Divine Pseudonatural Paragon Advanced Damn Crab? What level of paladin would you have to be of paladin to ride such a beast?

Avor
2008-05-24, 03:05 PM
Gnome Paladin Riding a Orc as a mount, don't ask.

Soup of Kings
2008-05-24, 03:16 PM

You need an intelligence score to be half-celestial. Sorry, play again.

That said, Half-Celestial Centaur for the win.

Alternatively, make any winged, nonevil creature with an intelligence of at least 4 into a Half-Celestial for four-winged fury. Giant Owl, Griffon, etc.

FlyMolo
2008-05-24, 03:18 PM
Alternatively, make any winged, nonevil creature with an intelligence of at least 4 into a Half-Celestial for four-winged fury. Giant Owl, Griffon, etc.

Winged template. +4 dex +2 wis. A Half-Celestial Winged thri-kreen. 4 wings, 4 arms and 2 legs.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-24, 03:58 PM
Alhandra took a Century Worm as her paladin mount last level.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6889/33078470aa7.png
futa alhandra. I feel dirty.

Bayar
2008-05-24, 04:01 PM
I would choose a Gelatinous cube. If not, then an Unkillable zombie heavy warhorse, the prefered mount for any character destined for a Libris Mortis campaign. Note, the LG allignment is still valid but I usually say that respecting the laws of physics counts as being Lawful and being good towards your dark deity counts as Good in your and his eyes (Good depends on the point of View / Eye of the Beholder).

evisiron
2008-05-24, 04:29 PM
I would choose a Gelatinous cube. If not, then an Unkillable zombie heavy warhorse, the prefered mount for any character destined for a Libris Mortis campaign. Note, the LG allignment is still valid but I usually say that respecting the laws of physics counts as being Lawful and being good towards your dark deity counts as Good in your and his eyes (Good depends on the point of View / Eye of the Beholder).

Aww, beaten to the Gel Cube suggestion!

I saw stats for it once. The rider basically in an acid resistance dome 'saddle' and taps the direction he wants to go. The cube thinks prey is that way and sludges onward.

Slow? Yes.
Ineffective? Yes.
Coolest mount ever? Hell Yes!

Cuddly
2008-05-24, 04:50 PM

You could get away with it if your deity was Wee Jas.

Mando Knight
2008-05-24, 06:25 PM
Note, the LG allignment is still valid but I usually say that respecting the laws of physics counts as being Lawful and being good towards your dark deity counts as Good in your and his eyes (Good depends on the point of View / Eye of the Beholder).

Very iffy... you may be able to get away with it with some Book of Exalted Deeds trickery... or perhaps the LE/CE Paladin Variants...

Eye of the Beholder?
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/designdev_beholder3.jpg

I don't think Good has anything to do with that!:smallwink:

Xyk
2008-05-24, 08:39 PM
Saw the title and was going to say "Flying Squid" but you beat me....
Wackiest mount eh? Now, keep in mind in order to have this several monsters will have to get it on. There is no flavor to this mount, only powergaming.

Half celestial, half dragon, half illithid, psuedonatural, dire moose/weasel.
If it could speak, it would only weep.

3 halves? really?

Smiley_
2008-05-24, 09:33 PM
3 halves? really?

Yup... could have a half-celestial gold dragon mate with a half-illithid weasel, and end up with equal parts of all four creatures. Then the diploid cells somehow fail to separate and merge intop a teteraploid zygote, thus doubling the ammount of weasel into the same package.

Happen's with plants all the time, and wizards do crazy things.

Sounds reall\y stupid when you say it out loud.

Raider
2008-05-24, 09:44 PM
A Half-Celestial Tarrasque with a Lich AND Wererat template....is that even possible? And can someone please draw that either way

GRAWWW!

Cuddly
2008-05-24, 09:48 PM
Half celestial would work, but wererat and lich can only be applied to humanoids, and it's unlikely that the Tarrasque would have 11 caster levels.

Raider
2008-05-24, 09:53 PM
Gah we need a half-unicorn template........could someone draw a half-unicorn Tarrasque for me? Pretty please?

Zurpl
2008-05-24, 09:55 PM
*snip*
... with a very special saddle.

Aww... Why'd you have to put that in italics? Then I had to think about it... Aww...

But the spikes lead me to another question was the blackguard male or female?

Admiral Squish
2008-05-24, 10:05 PM
A very laid-back halfling on one of those Galapagos tortoises.

archon_huskie
2008-05-24, 10:10 PM
A horse! A paladin actually riding a horse. How wacky is that?

Archetype-
2008-05-24, 10:35 PM
This just has to be said. Funniest mount would be...

A wild-shaped Druid. Seriously.

Or maybe a permanently reduced Gnome Paladin with a badger special mount. It's probably where the inspiration for the 4E Gnome came from. I am calling this Paladin “Bippy,” because a ridiculous paladin needs an equally ridiculous name. Imagine the introduction...

DM: “You see a small figure riding towards you. As it comes close, you see that it's a rather small gnome clad it shimmering plate mail, a dagger-sized blade slung across his back. He rides a clean, well-groomed badger with studded leather bar... Yes, permission to roflcopter is granted.”
Party: <laughs uncontrollably>

-Archetype

Cuddly
2008-05-24, 10:35 PM
/joke about a nymph

quiet1mi
2008-05-25, 12:19 AM
/joke about a nymph

now I must make this joke

how about riding a monk?

think about the greatness

it has great saves
just as fast as any horse
eats less

Alas yet another use for monks

don't forget it has immunity to diseases and flurry of blows.

Myshlaevsky
2008-05-25, 12:26 AM
I'd really like to tag that with "A use for Giacomo's monk build!" but as I have contributed nothing as far as CharOp goes and have never talked to him, it would be unecessarily cruel.

Hectonkhyres
2008-05-25, 12:31 AM
Alhandra took a Century Worm as her paladin mount last level.

futa alhandra. I feel dirty.

Yup... I think I've seen naughtiness of that. And then a certain unnamed imageboard caught fire.

how about riding a monk?

it has great saves
eats less

And I want to see naughtiness of that.

While not a paladin mount, I have fond memories of a goblin druid trying desperately to prod a dire rabbit into battle. The damn thing was the size of a rhino but was still afraid of hunting dogs. Ate a slain ent though.

Me? I want a Soar Whale as a steed. Sure, it only flies as fast as a dwarf can march... but you can drag a bloody castle around with you. Eat that war elephant.

GrassyGnoll
2008-05-25, 12:35 AM

Like a double hawk?

ladditude
2008-05-25, 12:49 AM
Does a druid's pet and a paladin's mount stack?

Draz74
2008-05-25, 12:52 AM
a half-illithid weasel,

I stopped right there. No more needs be said.

Is it just me, or if there was a vote for "What's the funniest creature to apply X template to?", would "weasel" have to win every time? :smallbiggrin:

Oh, but I loved the image of the halfling (or other islander race) paladin on a giant tortoise. That's just ... win. What's his favorite weapon to use on a Spirited Charge (20 feet long)? A Sap?

Jack_Simth
2008-05-25, 12:57 AM
Does a druid's pet and a paladin's mount stack?It doesn't generally come up, what with the incompatible alignments. By default, even if it came up, the answer would be no, as they're different class features.

RTGoodman
2008-05-25, 01:21 AM
It doesn't generally come up, what with the incompatible alignments. By default, even if it came up, the answer would be no, as they're different class features.

Although it wouldn't be inconceivable to create a feat (or even PrC) for multiclassing Paladin/Druids that allows them to ignore the Druid alignment requirement, combines the Animal Companion and Special Mount into a Special Mount Companion (or whatever), and stacks levels for the purposes of, say, smite evil, lay on hands, and wildshape, maybe.

Bayar
2008-05-25, 03:20 AM
It doesn't generally come up, what with the incompatible alignments. By default, even if it came up, the answer would be no, as they're different class features.

Swap druid with ranger and get that feat that allwos you to stack paladin and ranger levels to determine bonuses to mount. That way, your mount is a holy paladin mount and your animal companion.

NEO|Phyte
2008-05-25, 08:49 AM
Swap druid with ranger and get that feat that allwos you to stack paladin and ranger levels to determine bonuses to mount. That way, your mount is a holy paladin mount and your animal companion.

And then take the Halfling Outrider PrC so both special abilities advance at once.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-05-25, 10:09 AM
Gestalt Goliath Paladin of Freedom/Fighter/Cavalier // Warblade (CG) riding a huge Celestial Drakkensteed of Legend with a 60' line of Lighting (14d8) breath weapon (found a better one than the MoL template), trample, and a 46 STR. Casts spells as a 5th level cleric. I was thinking of building Entei (http://www.inu-yasha.themoon.co.uk/n/entei/entei001.jpg) from Inu-Yasha, but I thought an advanced Thunderhorse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BtY8fGvDqU&feature=related) was funnier. Just think of him Bigger and flying and breathing lighting.

Wait, that's not wacky, that's WIN. =D

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-25, 10:51 AM

I thought Half-Celestial made it nonevil, so you could get (for example) Half-Celestial Illithids.

Half-Celestial Illithid mounted on a Half-Celestial Intellect Devourer?

Grommen
2008-05-25, 11:42 AM

v-- Believe it or not, a simple MM bison with the skill points juggled more into balance, climb and jump.

Did that with a RAM and we called him Dodge. Oddly enough it was for a dwarf as well. Funny that.

Smiley_
2008-05-25, 12:28 PM
I thought Half-Celestial made it nonevil, so you could get (for example) Half-Celestial Illithids.

Half-Celestial Illithid mounted on a Half-Celestial Intellect Devourer?

Could work, 'cept that intellect devourers are small sized, and chaotic evil (good if you add the half celestial template). Could work with a compressed halfling though.

BRC
2008-05-25, 12:51 PM
My next character will be a gnome palladin riding an ogre.

FlyMolo
2008-05-25, 12:53 PM
A specially-designed warforged would be an awesome mount. You could ride around on the back slinging spells while it stabbed things. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: It could have stirrups welded on the back. How awesome would that be?!

A gnome illusionist or warlock or sorceror riding around on a robot mount?

Trog
2008-05-25, 01:37 PM
A giant slug

"Charge, Squishy!!! :smallamused:

Um... :smallconfused:

I.. I said CHARGE, boy! :smallmad:

Damn it." :smallannoyed:

Coplantor
2008-05-25, 01:51 PM
A pseudo-neatural half dwarf half warforged ninja/dread pirate zombie.

Think about it, a zombie viking pirate ninja cyborg descendant of Cthulhu, that could be either the mount or the paladin, or both... What about a paladin riding a paladin riding a paladin... etc?

And I'm trying to convince my DM to let my wizard have a dwarf as a familiar.
(He insists that improved familiar does'nt work that way, but I disagree.)

Newtkeeper
2008-05-25, 07:16 PM
How about a rust monster? With the paladin wearing stone, crystal, or wooden armor. What fighter would dare face that charge? The jousts are even better.

Parvum
2008-05-25, 10:39 PM
Shreiker Fungus.

SurlySeraph
2008-05-25, 10:43 PM

how about riding a monk?

it has great saves
eats less

This has been discussed before, in far greater detail. You left out Wholeness of Body, Quivering Palm, Timeless Body, and Tongue of the Sun and Moon. Oh, and how the monk can make unarmed strikes with ANY part of his or her body.

Back on topic... have you noticed how Pseudonatural creatures have the same alignment as the base creature? I'm thinking a Pseudonatural Celestial Pony. An incredibly beautiful sacred horse... that turns into a tentacle monster on command. And since it's a pony, you just know that... *rambles off into very un-paladin-y Japanese-schoolgirl-related innuendo*

Soup of Kings
2008-05-26, 01:51 AM
A giant slug

http://kol.coldfront.net/comic/index.php?strip_id=50

And to whomever mentioned the Amulet of Ooze riding being ineffective, you are wrong sir!

Yeah, it's not quick, but imagine if the PC's fail their spot checks on the cube?

"She's using some sort of flying magic. Charge!"
Okay, you take 1d6 acid damage, and roll a Fortitude save.
"But...why...?" :smallfrown:
:smallamused:

bosssmiley
2008-05-26, 04:23 PM
A specially-designed warforged would be an awesome mount. You could ride around on the back slinging spells while it stabbed things. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: It could have stirrups welded on the back. How awesome would that be?!

A gnome illusionist or warlock or sorceror riding around on a robot mount?

Warforged Goblin's *forged template (http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=12536123&postcount=10) on the gleemax boards. The original post even had a warhorseforged as one of the example creatures.

The ELH also has Lord Robilar's stone golem horse, but that might be a bit high in required level for most tastes.

ahammer
2008-05-26, 04:39 PM
I realy tryed hard to get my gm to ok a
kobold char to ride a monk pc in the group... he would have level in cursador so that he could get his mount to go 5x as fast... and do extra damge man that would have been on fast mount

the monk or the gm would not go for it :(

tahu88810
2008-05-26, 04:43 PM
An enchanted rock.
It had a speed of 5, I think.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-05-26, 04:52 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the "Paladin riding a giant Silver Tarantula" from that one really awesome campaign with the kythons and vestiges and things...

AmberVael
2008-05-26, 05:07 PM
Well, I originally thought I had nothing to post in this thread... but then an idea came to me. I don't believe this works as a paladin mount, but meh. It's too crazy to pass up.
Be a dragon. Get the spell Animate Breath. Use your Alternate Form ability to shift into a smaller size and then ride your own breath weapon.

Archetype-
2008-05-26, 06:39 PM
Well, I originally thought I had nothing to post in this thread... but then an idea came to me. I don't believe this works as a paladin mount, but meh. It's too crazy to pass up.
Be a dragon. Get the spell Animate Breath. Use your Alternate Form ability to shift into a smaller size and then ride your own breath weapon.

Does that mean that Bronze and Blue dragons are the most metal dragons of all time? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3HJXTiY_ZY) :smallbiggrin:

-Archetype

chiasaur11
2008-05-26, 06:57 PM
Hmm...
A paladin riding Bahamut would be Epic.

I mean, a guy takes a god to a horse fight, he isn't messing around.

Xuincherguixe
2008-05-26, 07:05 PM
Could a mount get levels? In which case I would suggest a Treant or Beholder Monk.

Raider
2008-05-26, 07:12 PM
Bahamut? The ride checks seem fun.

Bahamut no don't run you stupid beast!

DC:237821387312

_Puppetmaster_
2008-05-26, 07:19 PM
Impossible Creatures has been one upped.

Make it a Celestial Half-Celestial Gargantuan Black Puddin and it's not impossible.:smalltongue:

quiet1mi
2008-05-26, 11:40 PM
Make it a Celestial Half-Celestial Gargantuan Black Puddin and it's not impossible.:smalltongue:

why not toss in half-golem for good measure...

The Extinguisher
2008-05-26, 11:49 PM
One word: Landshark

hylian chozo
2008-05-27, 12:12 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the "Paladin riding a giant Silver Tarantula" from that one really awesome campaign with the kythons and vestiges and things...

You mean the Celestial Giant Spider from Silverclawshift's campaign? When the Paladin went insane, wore black armor made from Kython hide, took levels in Death Delver, and still kept his Paladin abilities? It was indeed awesome. :smallamused:

bosssmiley
2008-05-27, 04:11 AM
One word: Landshark

Two words (obvious trope (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TwoWordsObviousTrope)): Axiomatic Landshark. Smites chaos by gleefully jumping up and down on it while reciting the Fibonacci Sequence.

What? It's already in the Planescape Reheat "Planar Handbook". :smalltongue:

Pienterekaak
2008-05-27, 07:00 AM
a human paladin, who has a human paladin as a mount who has a....

Vorpal Soda
2008-05-27, 09:26 AM
I'd go for a Flumph myself. Whilst it probably wouldn't be the weirdest thing possible, or the most powerful or otherwise practical choice avaliable; having a mount that hovers over terrain would be awesome.

Yes, it would be the Paladin mount equivalent of a Sinclair C5, but I'd still want one.

The Extinguisher
2008-05-27, 10:17 PM
Two words (obvious trope (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TwoWordsObviousTrope)): Axiomatic Landshark. Smites chaos by gleefully jumping up and down on it while reciting the Fibonacci Sequence.

What? It's already in the Planescape Reheat "Planar Handbook". :smalltongue:

Indeed. So much win.

John Campbell
2008-05-27, 11:51 PM
Back in days of yore, before all this template crap, my brother once actually ended up with a half-elf as his (human) paladin's special mount. This was the result of him saying "reincarnate" when he actually meant "resurrect", in a heartfelt prayer to his patron deity, after his faithful horse's untimely demise beneath the crushing weight of a black dragon that he'd just one-shotted with a lance crit.