PDA

View Full Version : Rules about trick arrows?

Glawackus
2008-05-24, 10:44 AM
I'm going to be making a scout or ranger in the near future, and I was thinking the other day how cool it would be to have trick arrows (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trick_arrows) a la Green Arrow. Does anyone know if there are any books in particular I should be looking at with regards to specialized arrows?

Spiryt
2008-05-24, 10:57 AM
On the very bottom of this (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/weapons.pl?all) site you'll find quite a bit of intersting arrows. Some are quite poorly written, but still they are at least good ideas.

Chronos
2008-05-24, 11:05 AM
I don't have either book, so I can't give any specifics. But from what I've heard, the Arms and Equipment Guide and the Magic Item Compendium are both likely to have something of interest to you (depending on whether you want magical or mundane tricks).

bosssmiley
2008-05-24, 12:02 PM
Dragon #319 superspy gear for D&D article had a few trick arrows IIRC.
"Races of Treehugging" (aka Races of the Wild) has a load of weird arrows (rope cutters, alchemical heads, etc.)
"Arms & Equipment Guide" would be another obvious place.

I like to give kobolds phosphorous-headed crossbow bolts for inextinguishable flesh-burning lulz. :smallwink:

skywalker
2008-05-24, 12:06 PM
I don't have either book, so I can't give any specifics. But from what I've heard, the Arms and Equipment Guide and the Magic Item Compendium are both likely to have something of interest to you (depending on whether you want magical or mundane tricks).
I don't think Magic Item Compendium would have what you(the OP) seem to be looking for. It doesn't have very many arrows in it. Only a couple, and they don't do very interesting things.

Seffbasilisk
2008-05-24, 12:28 PM
Races of the Wild has a number of arrows. Swiftwing, Serpentstongue, Dragonsbreath...

Soup of Kings
2008-05-24, 03:21 PM
The only one I know of off the top of my head are the Alchemist's Fire Arrows from the Arms and Equipment Guide, which have a hollow shaft full of Alchemist's Fire that shatters on impact.

Da King
2008-05-24, 04:36 PM
Here's (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/weapons.pl?all)a list of specialty ammunition, scroll down to the other section at the bottom. It's also a really nice site.

Swooper
2008-05-24, 05:23 PM
I remember there were some trick arrows and stuff like that in Mongoose Publishing's Quintessential Fighter, if you don't mind 3rd party.

UglyPanda
2008-05-24, 05:57 PM
Heroes of Battle has Explosive arrows.

Complete Warrior has Blood Seeking, Disarming, Exit Wound, and Explosive arrows (More damage than Heroes of Battle version, but less range).

Whatever else you do, you have to have a boxing-glove arrow. It's so useless that it's awesome. You could model it with the Blunt arrows from Races of the Wild.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-24, 06:04 PM
+1 Merciful Blunt Arrow = Boxing Glove Arrow

Glawackus
2008-05-24, 06:15 PM
Yeah, I've already decided there will definitely being a boxing glove arrow or arrow(s). Good tip on how to make it, Sam. :smallsmile:

SamTheCleric
2008-05-24, 06:56 PM
PS.... Hawkeye > Green Arrow... :smallwink: