PDA

View Full Version : Making wands...cheaper?

olelia
2008-05-24, 05:53 PM
I've been reading crafting wands...mostly because I just thought about making scorching ray wands for our party rogue. But is it possible to purposly "lower" your level. What I mean is the normal formula to create a wand seems to be 375 gp × the level of the spell × the level of the caster. Since my wizard is 15th level there would be 4 levels of wasted gold on the scorching ray since it caps out at 11th level. So to reiterate the question can I craft the wand as an 11th level caster instead of a 15th level caster?

monty
2008-05-24, 05:54 PM
You can craft a wand at any caster level between the minimum CL (for example, a wand of a 4th level wizard spell would require a minimum CL of 7) and your current CL.

olelia
2008-05-24, 07:01 PM
Trying not to sound like a jerk or anything but is there anywhere I could back this up on text if someone ever bring it into question?

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-24, 07:36 PM
While item creation costs are handled in detail below, note that normally the two primary factors are the caster level of the creator and the level of the spell or spells put into the item. A creator can create an item at a lower caster level than her own, but never lower than the minimum level needed to cast the needed spell. Using metamagic feats, a caster can place spells in items at a higher level than normal.

From here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm).

olelia
2008-05-24, 07:55 PM
Thank you very much.