PDA

View Full Version : Could Therkla be the cause of Kubota's downfall? (Speculations)

The Wanderer
2008-05-24, 11:25 PM
So, back in strip 509 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0509.html), Qarr tried to warn Kubota about how Therkla was becoming unreliable, but Kubota refused to listen due to Therkla's past loyalty to him. Now, however, Qarr doesn't just have odds feelings coming through a telepathic link: he has witnessed Therkla directly helping Elan and the gang, and his statement as he was teleporting makes it clear he intends to tell Kubota.

If Therkla realizes this, and decides that it would be far too dangerous to go back to Kubota now, (and perhaps wants to get in a little better with Elan and the other good guys), she could go to Hinjo with everything she knows about Kubota's actions, (and considering that she has been his most trusted assassin for for seven years, that's a lot) and her evidence could bring down Kubota.

What do you think? Could this strip have been the beginning of the end for the daimyo?

Zorn
2008-05-25, 12:43 AM
I like this theory.

It really depends on how much information Therkla has on Kubota. Unless she can really prove that he's guilty, Hinjo will have a difficult time convincing the other nobles to turn on him. Heck, some nobles probably still won't take Hinjo's side even if Kubota is proven to be guilty of regicide.

Knowing that the other nobles' loyalty is uncertain at best and unsure of what Kubota is capable of (though Therkla would be able to clear this one up a bit), Hinjo might just decide to sit on the information. Usurping a popular leader is always risky business, and being an inexperienced leader stuck in the middle of the ocean with a rudimentary body of guards and a declining morale certainly doesn't help matters.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-25, 01:37 AM
That is a good point, Zorn. I think Therkla probably knows pretty much everything about the plans due to being an important part of carrying them out. I can see the nobles siding with Kubota due to the circumstances behind Hinjo refusing to detail why they couldn't negotiate with Xykon (they would probably class Kubota pulling out of AC as being sensible given the circumstances).

teratorn
2008-05-25, 06:26 AM
Unlikely. It's the world of a half-orc against a noble.

If she had been caught trying to kill Hinjo and then confessed it might have some weight. Like this, they have to prove that she worked for Kubota (not likely for she is ninja) and that she had been ordered to kill Hinjo.

In fact it could backfire: "Hinjo is so desperate to hide another failure that he even hired a half-orc..."

Chronos
2008-05-25, 01:42 PM
It really depends on how much information Therkla has on Kubota.Well, at the very least we know for a fact that she knows that two ninja under Kubota's employ attempted to kill Hinjo (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html).

Steven the Lich
2008-05-25, 06:12 PM
Therkla may have no choice but to go with the gang for this. She has to swim back to Kubota's boat now, and the imp may get her seized when she does come back. Things don't look too good on her side. She'll need to confess her feelings to Elan or put on a very good talk, because otherwise, she may not be able to convince Kubota to allow her to stay on his side.
Therkla would have no proof at all to mark Kubota guilty, unfortunately. Remember those two ninjas that attacked Hinjo? http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0503.html
Kubota just tossed aside the accusation, since there was no connection to be made.
However, that being said, I have no idea why Hinjo places him in chains for now, since the fact that Kubota is a strong suspect (And a total jerk). Why not place men on Kubota's ship and have him be watched? Surely he could not toss them away without attracting suspicion, and eventually evidence to his betrayal.
Therkla can bring a few things to the table, though. She could bring along her ninjas (provided they do not get killed by Kubota when he learns of her treachery) and even if she couldn't, one ninja on the field of battle is death incarnate. She could be capable of gathering information as well. So she could very well be the cause of his downfall (provided if he rejects her, and even if he doesn't, she may play a role)

Random theory, Therkla is going to fall in love with Thog. They're both half orcs, they're both green, they hate the Order of the Stick, they serve scheming masterminds that tend to go on a lot of peoples backs all the time... perfect match. :smallwink:
Heck, maybe Sabine will fall in love with Qarr. Wierder things have happened.

Jayngfet
2008-05-25, 06:25 PM
Unlikely. It's the world of a half-orc against a noble.

If she had been caught trying to kill Hinjo and then confessed it might have some weight. Like this, they have to prove that she worked for Kubota (not likely for she is ninja) and that she had been ordered to kill Hinjo.

In fact it could backfire: "Hinjo is so desperate to hide another failure that he even hired a half-orc..."

A half-orc who happens to be Kubotas Head assassin and the word Hinjo's been looking for for four months, she's still even dressed like an assassin and can prove that Kubotas been dealing with fiends and how they've been attacked nonstop for four months now, she even has Elan remembering where she was during the sea troll attack while armed with a weapon who's greatest use is being easy to hide.

Tingel
2008-05-25, 06:33 PM
A half-orc who happens to be Kubotas Head assassin
I doubt that this is common knowledge. Retainers of the murdering variety are rarely publicly employed.

she's still even dressed like an assassin
The clothes of some half-orc hardly suggest Kubota's involvement in a murder plot.

and can prove that Kubotas been dealing with fiends
How can she prove that?

armed with a weapon who's greatest use is being easy to hide.
Not only does using a dagger not prove that someone is an assassin, but her choice of weaponry also completely fails to connect her to Kubota.

Remember strip #503. The only Azurite magistrate present in the fleet has very high standards. Therkla's testimony would never suffice to convict Kubota.

Corwin Weber
2008-05-25, 07:35 PM
If nothing else she can't go back to Kubota and might very easily end up being one of the good guys. (I doubt she'll join the OOtS, but she could very easily end up working for Hinjo.) Additionally, the party members may now know that Kubota is working with fiends. (Depends largely on whether or not they saw the imp. The strip doesn't make that very clear. He was right there, but the party was a bit distracted, so I could see it going either way.)

Zorn
2008-05-25, 08:04 PM
It's the world of a half-orc against a noble.

Exactly. Therkla is far from credible. Not only is she an outsider to the Azurite nobles with absolutely no standing as far as they're concerned, she literally stabs people in the back for a living. She could know everything about Kubota and still be unable to expose him without some definitive proof. I doubt that she carries around evidence in case she needs to blackmail her employer on her person. The question then becomes whether or not she knows where to find said evidence.

As I said previously, however, Therkla can offer Hinjo something. Everything she tells him makes bringing down Kubota and out-maneuvering him until the confrontation comes that much easier for Hinjo. In other words: Therkla certainly has a lot to offer, but don't expect Kubota to get overthrown any time soon.

This is all, of course, assuming that Therkla decides to side with Hinjo. Steven is right in saying that there aren't many options left with Kubota. That said, I doubt Therkla will take it very well when she hears about Haley. As things stand now Therkla has no other reason to help the Order aside from Elan, and once that reason disappears I can't see her sticking around any longer than she has to.

Once she does jump ship, I have no idea where she would go. Xykon doesn't seem like one to appreciate subtlety and so I don't see Team Evil being a very viable option. The Linear Guild already has a half orc and a strong female personality, which counts them out as well. There hasn't been enough revealed about the other factions to decide either way.

Echowinds
2008-05-25, 08:13 PM
Join Hilgya?

Corwin Weber
2008-05-25, 08:16 PM
Join Hilgya?

MEEP

The Guild of Scorned Female NPC's?

Two members so far..... that could be seriously scary. :|

Red XIV
2008-05-26, 03:25 AM
Therkla would have no proof at all to mark Kubota guilty, unfortunately. Remember those two ninjas that attacked Hinjo? http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0503.html
Kubota just tossed aside the accusation, since there was no connection to be made.
Because, in Kubota's own words, "they are now dead and can no longer be directly questioned". The same cannot be said of Therkla. She's very much alive and able to be directly questioned.

teratorn
2008-05-26, 09:01 AM
Because, in Kubota's own words, "they are now dead and can no longer be directly questioned". The same cannot be said of Therkla. She's very much alive and able to be directly questioned.

That was different. Those would have been captured while trying to kill Hinjo, and their confessions would bear some weight. Therkla is different (and Hinjo would never fake an attempt to frame Kubota for you know, paladin).

CasESenSITItiVE
2008-05-26, 11:23 AM
i would love to think that therkla will join the good side, but i wonder if she will feel a bit spiteful over the knowledge that elan is currently taken

David Argall
2008-05-26, 08:36 PM
I doubt that this is common knowledge. Retainers of the murdering variety are rarely publicly employed.

However, their [unseen] presence is widely acknowledged. So when Therkla testifies that she was Kubota's chielf assassin, she is making a statement that may well be believed.

Remember strip #503. The only Azurite magistrate present in the fleet has very high standards. Therkla's testimony would never suffice to convict Kubota.
Convict? Maybe not. But before they did not have enoug to indict. Now, they [would] have a solid witness that Kubota was involved. So they have enough to drag Kubota into court and if Therkla can be more impressive on the stand than Kubota, a convictions is possible.

However, keep in mind she is just an NPC, and that means she is to support/oppose the heros, who do the big deeds. And so Kubota should be brought down by a PC. Therkla can help, indeed technically be the prime mover, but the PCs are the prime subjects.

Red XIV
2008-05-26, 10:09 PM
That was different. Those would have been captured while trying to kill Hinjo, and their confessions would bear some weight. Therkla is different (and Hinjo would never fake an attempt to frame Kubota for you know, paladin).
Yes, but wouldn't Therkla coming forward on her own, rather than making a desperate attempt to save her own neck after being caught, make her testimony more believable?