PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Rebellion

SolkaTruesilver
2008-05-24, 11:32 PM
Man, that game had so much potential, so much depth. Forget the crappy graphics, and the crappy space battles. You had it all: espionnage, diplomacy, sabotage, abduction, bothan spies, noghri death commandos, etc...

When Star Wars : Empire at War went out, I was so excited they made another galaxy-wide strategy game. I had a lot of fun with it..

But that fun lasted about a tenth of the fun I had with Rebellion. It doesn't take long to realize you've won, and the rest is merely mopping up. And god, does the mopping up is boring..

While in Rebellion, you had the cloak-and-dagger game you could play if you were on the defensive. Building a powerful fleet wasn't the sole strategic option in the beggining of the game (EaW makes it the almost-only strategy).

It would be great if, one day, they manage to combine EaW's incredible fleet combat system (with the graphics) with the rest of Rebellion.

Krytha
2008-05-24, 11:50 PM
I think Rebellion deserves a comprehensive re-make. I was never any good at it, but the concept was soooo delicious.

Triaxx
2008-05-25, 05:35 AM
Rebellion was awesome, and the best way to work it was to play on the largest map so you had room to manuever and lots of resources. Bringing massive fleets to bear after you've sabotaged the planetary defenses.

Plus the Rebellion can move it's headquarters, from one well defended planet to another. Of course occasionally you get intercepted by the deathstar.

Tirian
2008-05-25, 07:00 AM
I adored adore Rebellion. It's on my list of best LucasArts titles, and that's some good company to be keeping. I haven't played Empire at War, but I had the same disappointing experience from Star Trek: Conquest.

I'd love to see a remake. I agree that the key would be strengthening the combat experience -- I want to be able to drop into any ship or any ground unit for a battle mission and have it play like one of their other battle sims with the exception that the mission doesn't wait around for you to win it.

TheThan
2008-05-25, 01:37 PM
If you LOVE micro-management strategy games, then Rebellion is for you. Empire at war is an RTS. Which is fine, but I just didn’t get the same feel for depth and quality in that game as I did with Rebellion. (plus Empire at War seem too easy).

Plus rebellion has staying power. I played a single (small galaxy) game for three months before I beat it. I was constantly thinking of it, even when I wasn’t playing it. It really occupied my time. Unfortunately Rebellion grew old after a week.

Thomas Thorne
2008-05-25, 09:42 PM
Rebellion is a game I have never gotten tired of. I bring it out of the cd sleeves once every 6 months and go to town on hard. It literally takes me one solid day to get through it, and it gives you a feeling of accomplishment when you finally take over that last planet. Sins of a Solar Empire is similar to Rebellion and it has the same feel to it, but unfortunately no diplomacy/intrigue. Sins of a Solar Empire has become my new Rebellion for the past few months, but I will never get sick of C3PO telling me, "There is a message incoming from a planetary surface."

loopy
2008-05-25, 10:31 PM
Or how about:

"Beep-di-beep-di-bi-di-deep"
"R2 tells me that Research and Development is transmitting a message."

SolkaTruesilver
2008-05-26, 12:38 AM
Hehe.. while playing the game, I just accidently sent Daala on a diplomatic mission to Selonia..

20 turns later, the whole sector turned for the Alliance :smallfrown: (joke, but still. I just try to imagine Daala trying to be "diplomatic" with a bunch of aliens.. it cracks me up.. :smallbiggrin:)

Also, I sent Vader on a mission to abuct Leia. Why didn't they tought of that during the movies?

All right. Vader along 15 Noghri Death Commando... :smallbiggrin:

Logic
2008-05-26, 09:11 AM
I love this game.

It is a micromanagers dream come true.

Despite everyone claiming the space combat was faulty, I would place some emphasis on fixing the ground combat mechanic in a remake.

Another thing that would make this game infinitely replayable would be to add more than one era of coflict, such as the Old Republic Era, the Clone Wars, and possibly the Yuzzan Vong invasion as well as the Legacy of the Force eras.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-05-26, 12:04 PM
All right, something just struct me. Recently, I sent Darth Vader on a covert mission.

Think carefully.. COVERT MISSION?! How many ranks do you think Darth Freaking Vader put in Move Silently and Hide?!?! How would he pass rebel customs?

Guard: Anything to decla.. hey! Aren't you Darth Vader?

DV: No, I was invited to the contest of the Darth-Vader look-alike!

Guard: Well, that explains it.. good luck! But.. I think you have the helmet wrong...

DV: .... (resist urge to force choke)

(think now of all the perfect disguise Mister Vader could put on.. would he try to pass as a pirate, a ninja, a nurse?)

Theodoriph
2008-05-26, 12:15 PM
Rebellion was a great game, my third favourite 4x game next to MOOII and Ascendancy.

Rebellion's one great failing was an AI that was as dumb as a doorpost. If you ever set the computer to automanage your infrastructure, you'd see what I mean. Granted this is a problem common to many 4x games. Besides infrastructure building, the AI didn't have much tactical sense...but in all fairness, in the day and age that this came out no AI did. The only reason MOOII is so good is because on Impossible, the multiplier the computer gets on production makes up for some of its idiocy.

The diversity of ways to win in Rebellion, to conquer planets always sucked me back in. Of course this in a way led to another broken mechanic. Freeing a conquered planet could drastically decrease how much other planets in that system liked your enemy. While this is good...and perhaps even realistic, the decrease was so high...to the point that if you freed one or two conquered planets, you could pretty much wipe out support for your enemy in the entire system in short order. It was a good idea, but poorly executed.

I loved the fact that you had to recruit characters...I loved that they could die without replacements being available. I even loved that Luke ran off for training...as annoying as it was.

Ground combat could have been improved. And I don't think the Empire and Rebellion should have been given identical technologies. Giving the Rebellion an Interdictor cruiser type ship was a cheap way of balancing the game...ditto with giving them the "Bulwark Battlecruiser." It worked, but it was dull.

Other things weren't balanced. Sullustan regiments for example had a high detection rating and were cheap to upkeep...who didn't dump 12 of them or so on each planet when playing as the alliance...sometimes 15 or 18. I don't think the enemy ever succeeded on a covert op after I got sullustans. Sadly the Empire had no sullustans...their best detectors were the Dark Trooper regiments...which were also their best troops, so dumping 18 per planet...wasn't viable. So I always felt the Rebellion had an unfair advantage in the covert ops department.

The one thing that saddens me was that the game was usually over before the Death Star was built. Even when I was the Empire, I prolonged the game just to build it and then set about wiping out planets. I didn't need to...it was overkill. They should have made it cheaper and easier to build....or make the AI better. :P Besides, taking a large fleet and bombarding a planet to Oblivion until they had no building spots left worked just as well...without negatively affecting your likability galaxy wide (only system wide...which when you're the empire and destroying all planets in the outer rim...doesn't matter one bit).

I could say so much more. I remember when I bought this game I didn't have the RAM to run it. My mom promised she'd upgrade for my birthday, so I spent three months pouring over the guide, visualizing what I would do and imagining the game. God I loved it. I've never stopped loving it...never lost a game, never even came close. The AI was terrible...but the mechanics and gameplay were so wonderful. It was exhilirating...still is. It should definitely be remade (maybe with the option to pilot a snub fighter in the space battles...I always loved the X-Wing series too...it's not like the formations ever really did anything anyway...might as well waste your time in a snub).

I only planned to write a couple of sentences...but once I started...I just couldn't stop. Truly one of the few games that captured my imagination. I even talked back (out loud) to the characters when they talked smack to me upon failing a mission (I'm looking at you Palpatine...Mr. "You have not adequately supported me on this mission").

SolkaTruesilver
2008-05-26, 02:27 PM
Hehe... good recounting..

Now, I have something to say, that will make a lot of people mad at me. While playing the Empire, I...

I.. I killed Chewbacca. Yup, 5 assassination missions in a row, blockading fleet over the planet where he hided. Darth Vader and his apprentice leading the remaining 4 other highly-skilled operatives for the 5 missions.

Now, please, I don't want to hear:

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed Chewie. Prepare to die.

But I guess I deserve some smacking. It feels good to know I killed the only killable major character of the game :smallbiggrin:

loopy
2008-05-26, 06:48 PM
Hehe... good recounting..

Now, I have something to say, that will make a lot of people mad at me. While playing the Empire, I...

I.. I killed Chewbacca. Yup, 5 assassination missions in a row, blockading fleet over the planet where he hided. Darth Vader and his apprentice leading the remaining 4 other highly-skilled operatives for the 5 missions.

Now, please, I don't want to hear:

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed Chewie. Prepare to die.

But I guess I deserve some smacking. It feels good to know I killed the only killable major character of the game :smallbiggrin:

You and R.A Salvatore both, methinks. That was enough to turn me off the entire NJO series before it got started.