PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Maneuvers

arkanis
2008-05-25, 12:52 AM
Blindjump [general]
Prerequisites: Wis 13, ability to cast any self teleportation spell of 4th level or higher or use any supernatural teleportation ability (such as Shadowjump or Abundant Step), Sense Motive 5 ranks, Spot 5 ranks.
Benefits: Character gains the ability to teleport blindly without penalty. Any damage or penalty they would normally take for accidently teleporting into a solid object are negated and instead their teleportation merely moves them as close to the targeted area as they can get without entering solid objects. Also, the character treats all places as one level more familiar (to a maximum of "can see it") than it actually is for the purpose of teleportation: Can see it, very familiar, studied carefully, seen casually. This cannot improve false destinations because they are false.

Quickjump [general]
Prerequisites: Dex 13, Evasion, Quickdraw or Quicken Spell, ability to cast any self teleportation spell of 4th level or higher or use any supernatural teleportation ability (such as Shadowjump or Abundant Step).
Benefits: Once per encounter the character may use any teleportation ability or spell which would normally require a move or standard action as a swift or immediate action. Also, they may sacrifice a daily use of a teleportation ability in order to grant them a +4 bonus to a Reflex save. This must be declared before the save is made and can be done only once per save.

Gizzard Port [general]
Prerequisites: Wis 13, Dex 13, Evasion, Blindjump, ability to cast any self teleportation spell of 4th level or higher or use any supernatural teleportation ability (such as Shadowjump or Abundant Step), Sneak Attack +2d6, Sense Motive 5 ranks, Spot 5 ranks.
Benefits: The character gains the ability to teleport into and out of the stomachs and other internal cavities of creatures and objects at least one size larger than them. The character must be aware the creature has such a cavity and be within 30 feet of the creature when they attempt this maneuver. Once inside, the character has one round to act freely before they act as if they were Swallowed Whole (except no bite damage or bludgeoning damage from the swallowing). During this one free round, the character is treated as flanking the creature they are inside. Creatures that do not have a Swallow Whole ability use the following statistics for damage per round inside the gizzard.
{table="head"]Size|Carnivorous Creature|Omnivorous Creature|Herbivorous|Doesn't Eat
Medium|1d2 acid, 1d2 bludgeoning|1 acid, 1d2 bludgeoning|1d2 bludgeoning|1d2 bludgeoning
Large|1d4 acid, 1d4 bludgeon|1d2 acid, 1d4 bludgeon|1 acid, 1d4 bludgeon|1d4 bludgeon
Huge|1d8 acid, 1d8 bludgeon|1d4 acid, 1d8 bludgeon|1d2 acid, 1d8 bludgeon|1d8 bludgeon
Gargantuan|2d8 acid, 2d8 bludgeon|1d8 acid, 2d8 bludgeon|1d4 acid, 2d8 bludgeon|2d8 bludgeon
Colossal|4d8 acid, 4d8 bludgeon|2d8 acid, 4d8 bludgeon|1d8 acid, 4d8 bludgeon|4d8 bludgeon[/table]

Inertial Control [general]
Prerequisites: Str 11, Dex 13, Evasion, Quickjump, Quickdraw or Quicken Spell, ability to cast any self teleportation spell of 4th level or higher or use any supernatural teleportation ability (such as Shadowjump or Abundant Step).
Benefits: The character gains the ability to ignore falling damage whenever they fall by sacrificing a use of their teleportation ability. Characters with shadowjump must sacrifice the number of feet they would have fallen up to a maximum of 100 feet which will stop any fall regardless of the distance. Also, whenever they charge they may add 1d6 falling damage to their melee attack roll per 10 feet they moved up to a maximum number of additional d6's equal to 1 + their Strength modifier.

Port Push [general]
Prerequisites: Dex 13, Dodge, Mobility, ability to cast any self teleportation spell of 4th level or higher or use any supernatural teleportation ability (such as Shadowjump or Abundant Step), Jump 5 ranks, Tumble 5 ranks.
Benefits: Once every 1d4 minutes, whenever a character runs or otherwise makes only move actions in a round, they may add 30 feet to the distance. While doing this, the character does not provoke attacks of opportunities when moving through threatened squares. This ability only functions while the character still has at least one use of their teleporation ability still available.

Shadow Flank [general]
Prerequisites: Int 13, Combat Expertise, Improved Feint, Hide in Plain Sight ability, Shadowjump ability.
Benefits: By sacrificing 10 feet of their shadowjump, the character grants themselves the ability to flank the target of their dodge without actually having a flanking partner for 1 round. Also, the character may make a Hide check opposed by their target's Spot check instead of a Bluff check opposed by a Sense Motive check when attempting to feint.

Shadow Flurry [general]
Prerequisites: Int 13, Dex 13, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Combat Expertise, Whirlwind Attack, Improved Feint, Hide in Plain Sight ability, Shadowjump ability.
Benefits: Character may as a full-attack action make one melee attack with a light or medium weapon against each enemy within 30 feet to a maximum number of attacks equal to 3 + their Dexterity modifier. This requires that the character sacrifice 10 feet of their shadowjump per attack. If the character provokes an AoO with one of their attacks (such as making a disarm attempt with their attack action) they appear in a square adjacent to the target when the AoO is taken and this ability is interrupted.

Shadow Strike [general]
Prerequisites: Dex 13, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Shadowjump ability.
Benefits: Character may use their shadowjump ability as a move action rather than a standard action so long as the distance they travel in one jump is no further than their base speed. Because of this, the character may use their shadowjumping ability in conjunction with their Spring Attack feat.

Dark-Penance
2008-05-25, 02:15 AM
Port Push is its own prerequisite. That's quite a problem.

DracoDei
2008-05-25, 11:25 AM
You set "Port Push" as one of its own prerequisites. And it should probably be a reserve feat (meaning it is only active as long as you still have remaining uses per day of a teleportation ability, including spells prepared for wizards, spell slots of high enough level for sorcerers, and so on and so forth.)

Shadow Flank should also be a reserve feat probably.

Also you are a bit vague about when actions are allowed after using a dimension door type ability... that can be a big thing.

Stycotl
2008-05-25, 11:45 AM
i like the idea of these as reserve feats, but i don't think that they really work in that regard. especially while incorporating the abrupt jaunt and other teleport abilities. some of them don't have levels per se, and others, even if they do, don't really work that way. what happens to the swordsage with shadow hand discipline that takes this? does he gain its benefits only when one of his teleport abilities is readied?

other than the typos and stuff, arkanis, this is cool stuff. i love teleportation. in fact, one of my advanced teamwork benefits (the only one i have posted so far), heavily utilizes teleportation.

DracoDei
2008-05-25, 12:10 PM
what happens to the swordsage with shadow hand discipline that takes this? does he gain its benefits only when one of his teleport abilities is readied?

Of course. How else would it work?

As for things without levels per se... call it 1/2 the effective CL/ML/whatever, or just have explicit lists of what qualifies and what doesn't (because such cases are going to be few enough that such lists should be of managable size).

arkanis
2008-05-25, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I updated the feats. I'm open to more suggestions on them and any ideas for other maneuver feats.

arkanis
2008-05-29, 03:57 PM
Added a few new feats too.

Shinton
2008-05-29, 05:48 PM
I like these. I ve always wanted special... er.. porting powers

Just a question though:

When are you gonna want to Gizzard port?

"OMG ITS A DRAGON!"
"Lets port inside his stomach!!!"
?

And how do you port out...? Cut out?

arkanis
2008-05-29, 08:17 PM
Oh, this particular feat allows porting inside and outside. I'll edit that on the feat. The big new one I added was Shadow Flurry, my personal favorite.

Silence
2008-05-29, 08:25 PM
They seem a little overpowered... consider making them less powerful.

arkanis
2008-05-30, 05:32 PM
That's a little too vague to be feedback. What exactly?