PDA

View Full Version : This has been annoying me.

Emperor Demonking
2008-05-25, 05:03 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0047.html

What does that last panel mean in english.

Thufir
2008-05-25, 05:46 AM
Babelfish says:
"It hears, I create that it fails to me to notice something!"

So, I'm guessing something along the lines of:
:belkar: I think I just failed a listen check!

Helanna
2008-05-25, 08:28 AM
According to the little Spanish I speak, it would mean something along the lines of, "Hey! I believe that I fail to notice something!" So yes, it would be like "I think I just failed a Spot check."

I wasn't really ninja'd . . . I just wanted four freakin' years of Spanish class to come in use at least once in my life. :smallfrown:

Chaman
2008-05-25, 08:32 AM
Babelfish says:
"It hears, I create that it fails to me to notice something!"

mmm...
no

"Oye, creo que me falle de notar algo"

"oye" is more in the line of hear as in (you) hear me out. but usally is intended for something like "hey"
and
"creo" is from believing not creating

it is indeed supposed to be a mistranslation from "I think I failed my spot check"

if anyone's curious... I think the proper translation would be something like "Creo que falle mi tirada de avistar"

damn, I was ninja'd because I went and looked up for the proper translation of spot in my Player's Handbook copy in spanish (one of the things that amuses me the most is the way they translated "Feats" and "Rouge" I mean the translation is "right" but it sounds just wrong)

Paladin29
2008-05-25, 04:38 PM
I am spanish, so i think i can help... yes the translation can be: "Hey!, I think i failed a spot check" (but the literal translation is: "Hey!, I think i failed to notice something"), however the correct phrase in spanish is: "Oye!, Creo que he fallado mi tirada de avistar/observar"

Arkenputtyknife
2008-05-26, 12:55 AM
mmm...
no
Yes, that is the correct and usual response to a Babelfish translation.

Rincewind
2008-05-26, 04:10 AM
begining

english to spanish
"It hears, I believe that it fails to me to notice algo"

spanish to english
"Oye, yo cree que no puede a mí notar el algo"

english to spanish
"It hears, I I think that it cannot notice algo"

spanish to english
"Oye, YO que pienso que no puede notar el algo"

english to spanish
"It hears, I who fodder that cannot notice algo"

spanish to english
"Oye, I que da forraje a eso no puede notar el algo"

english to spanish
"It hears, I that gives forage that cannot notice algo"

I can keep doing this forever... :smallsmile:

bluewind95
2008-05-26, 07:40 AM
I actually don't think the grammar in that panel is exactly correct. Seems like it is an online translator sentence. I thought it would be: "Oye! Creo que fallé al notar algo!". That's kind of awkward too, though. I'd have written it as "Oye! Creo que fallé mi intento de notar algo!" or "Oye! Creo que mi intento de notar algo falló!"

("Hey! I think I failed my attempt to notice something!" / "Hey! I think my attempt to notice something failed!")

Of course, this is Mexican Spanish, which is slightly different than Spanish Spanish.

Roderick_BR
2008-05-26, 08:12 AM
begining

english to spanish
"It hears, I believe that it fails to me to notice algo"

spanish to english
"Oye, yo cree que no puede a mí notar el algo"

english to spanish
"It hears, I I think that it cannot notice algo"

spanish to english
"Oye, YO que pienso que no puede notar el algo"

english to spanish
"It hears, I who fodder that cannot notice algo"

spanish to english
"Oye, I que da forraje a eso no puede notar el algo"

english to spanish
"It hears, I that gives forage that cannot notice algo"

I can keep doing this forever... :smallsmile:
Your monster! You are confusing the poor thing. :smalltongue:

bahamut920
2008-05-26, 03:21 PM
Chain translator fun:

Spanish
Oye! Creo que me falle de notar algo!

English
Hey! I think I fail to notice something!

German
Hey! Ich glaube, dass ich nicht etwas zu bemerken!

French
Hé! Je crois que je n'ai pas quelque chose à remarquer!

Croatian
Ej! Mislim da mi nemamo nešto za primijetiti!

Chzech
Hej! Myslím, že nemám něco na upozornění!

Danish
Hej! Jeg tror, at jeg ikke har noget at bemærke!

Dutch
Hallo! Ik denk dat ik heb niets te merken!

Finnish
Hei! Mielestäni minulla ei ole mitään sanottavaa!

Greek
Γεια σου! Κατά τη γνώμη μου, δεν έχω να πω τίποτα δεν!

Italian
Salve! A mio parere, devo dire niente!

Norwegian
Hei! Etter min mening har jeg å si noe!

Polish
Cześć! W mojej opinii mam do powiedzenia coś;

Portugese
Oi! Na minha opinião, tenho de dizer alguma coisa;

Romanian
Salut! În opinia mea, am să spun ceva;

Swedish
Hej! Enligt min mening måste vi säga något;

Back to English
Hello! In my opinion, we have to say something;

Hahaha, I confused it more... :smalltongue:

TigerHunter
2008-05-26, 07:59 PM
I wasn't really ninja'd . . . I just wanted four freakin' years of Spanish class to come in use at least once in my life. :smallfrown:
My school starts us early. I did ten freaking years and I haven't needed it once. Even when I went to Mexico everyone there already spoke English far better than any of us spoke Spanish.

Not to mention that after ten years of A's and high B's, I still can't speak even a single sentence without looking something up. Education sucks :smallsigh:.

TheExpat
2008-05-26, 11:40 PM
My school starts us early. I did ten freaking years and I haven't needed it once. Even when I went to Mexico everyone there already spoke English far better than any of us spoke Spanish.

Not to mention that after ten years of A's and high B's, I still can't speak even a single sentence without looking something up. Education sucks :smallsigh:.

I feel you both. I did three years of Spanish and I forgot most of it. Book learning sucks for applied languages. The only way to do it must just be to just go wherever they speak it and stay a long while.

But to get back to the topic of this thread, I will corroborate that it does say, "Hey, I think I failed my spot check!"

:belkar:嘿,我覺得我剛才聽不到了什麽!

Selene
2008-05-27, 12:45 AM
I did five years of AP level Spanish, and I think I failed to remember 90% of the language. But hey, I bet we can all say stuff like "cheese" and "yellow pencil." :smalltongue:

Kgw
2008-05-27, 01:21 AM
Don't ask me, it's Mexican Spanish. :p
As they said, it would mean: "I failed on noticing something" or "I failed my spot check".

Ganurath
2008-05-27, 02:51 AM
I'm in favor of the failed Spot check theory: He failed to Spot the scrying sensor.

Bayar
2008-05-27, 02:59 AM
Actually, it should be related to a listen check. Notice panel 1:

"Shut up, I'm trying to listen"

"Make me, freakshow"

Paladin29
2008-05-27, 08:10 AM
Well, if you want practice with me I´ll be happy, I need to improve my english :)

David Argall
2008-05-27, 02:19 PM
I did five years of AP level Spanish, and I think I failed to remember 90% of the language. But hey, I bet we can all say stuff like "cheese" and "yellow pencil." :smalltongue:

2 years taught me to count to diaz. Beyond that can get shaky, and don't ask about math.

Paladin29
2008-05-27, 02:49 PM
2 years taught me to count to diaz. Beyond that can get shaky, and don't ask about math.

"diez" :smalltongue:

The only good way to learn a language is live (for months at least) in a country where people talk it. When i was a child I could go to the U.S.A. but i didn´t want to go (If I could travel in time i would go)... a great error :smallfrown:

Wish
2008-05-29, 08:39 PM
I am spanish, so i think i can help... yes the translation can be: "Hey!, I think i failed a spot check" (but the literal translation is: "Hey!, I think i failed to notice something"), however the correct phrase in spanish is: "Oye!, Creo que he fallado mi tirada de avistar/observar"

Can I ask you a question?? Is the translation of D&D material, especially the rules make sense, apart from all the rules :smallamused: it hasn't been translated poorly has it?? Is it popular at all in Spain?

Paladin29
2008-05-30, 05:18 AM
I´ve not any complaint about the spanish translation, of course there are some errors (usually more printing errors than translator errors). D&D is very popular in Spain, however there are many people who don´t like the "expansion" of the d20 system to other games and the strenght of the WoD games is very present yet.