PDA

View Full Version : Sinister Spire playtest

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-25, 07:45 AM
Despite having only just met each other in the foyer of Illiterate Scribe's 'descent into yon foetid underdark, and gain frequent spelunker furlongs', the four of you instantly strike up a rapport - well, rapport may be the wrong word ...

The monk, carrying a small cemetery's worth of wands, eyes up the grizzled, whip-wielding adventurer type, while the grinning mask of the sorcerer impassively surveys the kobold cleric. Silence ensues.

Four adventurers, four adventurers, why is it always four adventurers?

The warforged behind the counter mutters to himself, an obsessive, mildly insane look on his face.

Anyway, youse'll be the four subcontracted to find and murder tha' pyureblood, Xeron. I suppose you can justify such acts to yisselves. Anyhow, key - hook - wall - door.

He gestures, indicating a surprisingly delicate key, folded out of origami, and the large bulkhead-like door in the wall behind the counter.

Payment on return. Queshtuns?

Solo
2008-05-25, 08:02 AM
I suppose we just jump into the rabbit hole? Veidt asks, gesturing at the door.
I suggest we depart immediately. There is so much killing to do, and so little time in which to do it.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-25, 08:17 AM
The warforged buries his head in his hands (literally - he has a burrowing capability granted to him by a warforged component) at Veidt's bloodlust.

Solo
2008-05-25, 08:33 AM
Let's face it; you didn't exactly hire me based on my ability to get along with all our little woodland friends.

Veidt takes the key and opens the door, taking a good look inside.

Sir Giacomo
2008-05-25, 10:40 AM
Well, some questions first, Sir Warforged:

1. How many of Xeron's band are still alive - and what people did his party consist of? (fighters, priests...? Were they also yuan-ti, whatever that is?)

2. How long since they passed through that door? (I assume that this is now the hole of the tomb where the thieves have vanished through and taken the bones with them?)

3. Can you describe how the bones look like? How can they be identified?

Then, turning to the others:
"My name is Shannow. I'll try to protect you as best as I can. My combat style is usually to grapple the worst-looking foe while you deal with the rest. But mostly. let us try to avoid combat as often as possible - I'll try do warn us of any impending dangers ahead.
Note that with my many wands here, I can create a row of magical effects (lists what his wands can do and how often stilll); though not reliably inside combat.
What is it that you do?"
Shannow then waits how the others describe themselves. Then, supposing they will tell at least their classes, he'll suggest the following:

"Let us go about the following way:
You, Veidt, in case you know the spell, please cast a mage armour on me with one use of my rod of extend. You'll not be able to make use of my pearl of power to regain that spell, so I hope you'll still do it to make me better able to stop any enemy fighters.
Instead, I'll provide my two pearls of power to Grak here - he'll be able to cast an extra protective spell on you, Veidt to make up for the spell you cast on me.
Then, Veidt, another thing. Take one of my enlarge wands - you can cast the enlarge on me in case of combat without any risk of failure, as long as you are within 30ft of me. I still have two others - so I could try to use those in case it somehow does not work.
Additionally, take this everburning torch so that we all can see.
I'd suggest the following setup for advancing: You appear to be able to disguise and bluff your way quite well (just pose as a Yuan-Ti yourself?), while the small Mr. Grak can easily hide behind you (with you moving, his low move silently does not matter). Meanwhile, both Dr. Jones and myself will scout at the fringes of the light (keeping hidden) to check what is going on and be able to foil unpleasant surprises. If you, Mr. Veidt, would also have a Message spell available in certain circumstances, we could use another of my rod extend uses for the day to get a couple of hours real good stealth/communication between us.
Dr. Jones, be ready to sneak any bastard falling victim to my grapple (against several foes at once, I'll try to give you good flanking opportunity).

Mr. Grak, I hope your deity will be able to provide us with enough food and water for the journey when we need it.

Now let's get those bones back to where they belong."

- Giacomo

Solo
2008-05-25, 10:46 AM
I'm sorry, I did not learn how to cast any of the spells you requested. I am unable to help you there.

Bluff: [roll0]

Veidt will cast Mage Armor on Shannow after they enter.

Sir Giacomo
2008-05-25, 11:06 AM
OK, Mr. Veidt, can't be helped. But you'll still take the everburning torch and wand, I presume?

Solo
2008-05-25, 11:41 AM
Actually, wouldn't you say that the wand belongs with the people in front? The kobold and I will be in the rear, making us suboptimal light bearers. Veidt points out, casting Mage Armor on himself and Shannow using the metamagic rod.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-25, 11:43 AM
Turning towards the arcanist and the wandslinger, Doctor Jones cracks a small smile. I don't s'pose you'll mind if I get a small head start, would you?

I'll go in front searching for traps. If I find something, I'll give you two call.

And with that, Jones walks into the passageway, eyes peeled and weapons ready.

Taking 20 in search, so I get a 31 to find any traps or items of interest.

Sir Giacomo
2008-05-25, 11:48 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

What the...so you DO know mage armour? *shrugs*
Well, Mr. Veidt, the problem is with either Dr. Jones or myself without a light source, we cannot scout much, can we? However, bearing the light source ourselves, we can hardly hide...in case we need to venture further out, we have another light source availale (points to second everburning torch).

ooc: which rod of extend did you use? Mine or yours?

Solo
2008-05-25, 12:00 PM
What the...so you DO know mage armour?

No, no I don't. You're mis-identifying the spell.

Bluff: [roll0]

However, bearing the light source ourselves, we can hardly hide...in case we need to venture further out, we have another light source availale
An excellent point., Veidt agrees, taking a torch.Don't expect me to get too far to the front, though.

ooc: which rod of extend did you use? Mine or yours?
ooc: yours, just like you told me to. On you.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-25, 12:11 PM
The warforged stares at Shannow. With his perception of reality through the medium of true speech, the monk's discursive style literally appears as a wall of text, floating slowly across the room.

Err ... well, the party came through here a day ago. There were about twenty of them, although several groups of mercenaries such as yourselves have been harrying them. Unfortunately, they neglected to leave a receipt of the numbers killed, so there could be any number there. What is known is that there's been some hold up on those dastardly villains' end - the bones, for the moment at least, are stationary. Oh, you'll know them when you see them ... the crypt-keeper was a little ... odd in his decorational proclivities.

Behind the bulkhead, there is nothing but blackness - this is a fairly feeble blackness, and, as your torches are carried into it, it recedes. What lurked behind it is not exactly reassuring. City maintenance must not have visited this particular tunnel in years - possibly on account of the fact that Kingsholm doesn't even have city maintenance. The walls are held up by little more than stacks of wood pulp, as the smell of decay confirms. The tunnel branches off in two directions - sloping up, and sloping down.

Screw you WotC, I refuse to read what you tell me to read to the PCs, and substitute my own descriptions!

Also, feel free to use skills on stuff.

Solo
2008-05-25, 12:15 PM
Veidt stands between the up and down passages, trying to detect whether the wind flow in the tunnels go up or downwards.

Also, Hat of Disguise as a commoner, Josef Dirt, dirt farmer extraordinare.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-25, 12:16 PM
No wind seems to be coming from either - the only disturbance in the air is from the door behind you.

Solo
2008-05-25, 12:18 PM
(I am now disguised as a dirt farmer: see above post)

Well, I suggest we start looking for tracks. Are there any in either tunnel, Doctor Jones? What say you, Shannow?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-25, 12:26 PM
Am I allowed to try my luck?

Everyone, back off. I'm going to try something new here.

Rapidly, Jones hits the wood with the whip, trying to break it.

If this works, that racehorse or whatever it was can count itself as dead.

No need to roll for damage if I keep hitting until something breaks, right?

If that breaks the adventure to pieces, here goes a more classier course of action.

No, no tracks. Not a surprise, since a scalykind wouldn't leave tracks in anything but mud. I suggest we go down, because the evil temples and the like are always below the ground.

Solo
2008-05-25, 12:31 PM
But that raises the question of what is above ground.

And remember, there's a band of robbers we're looking for in addition to the yuan ti.

Veidt casually puts a burned out, useless Ioun stone in orbit 1d3 feet from his head.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-25, 12:33 PM
The rotten wood is smashed away by Jones' mighty whip blows. Nothing happens. You are in a corridor carved of the stone; quite why anyone put supporting pillars up is anybody's guess; maybe they liked the aesthetic.

I <3 you, WotC. You have supporting pillars in a corridor hewn out of a single piece of rock.

Solo
2008-05-25, 12:36 PM
You could at least search for tracks, Dr. Jones. We might as well be thorough, and there's no harm.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-25, 12:36 PM
And remember, there's a band of robbers we're looking for in addition to the yuan ti.

How much do you want to bet on them being dead to the first trap we see?

Solo
2008-05-25, 12:40 PM
How much do you want to bet on them being dead to the first trap we see?

I'll wager 5 GP.

Dead or no, they must have left tracks, tracks which we will find, tracks which will aid us in finding the yuan ti, no?

(OOC: unless there is something we don't know, roll the search check already :smalltongue:)

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-25, 12:42 PM
(OOC: unless there is something we don't know, roll the search check already :smalltongue:)

((Taken 20 already, for a result of 31.))

Solo
2008-05-25, 12:47 PM
Well, I suppose we'll find out soon enough which route is the correct one. Let us venture downwards into the darkness. You first, Doctor Jones, and I will be behind you. Shannow, you may place yourself as you see fit. Last shall be the cleric.

Sir Giacomo
2008-05-25, 01:05 PM
So shall it be! Let's stay at the fringe of the light, Dr. Jones to do our stealth stuff...ah, and I feel a bit better equipped now that it appears that this adventure could take some time...

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-25, 02:30 PM
The search check reveals a lot of splintered wood, and the scuffmarks of a leather boot leading (you guessed it) downwards.

Sir Giacomo
2008-05-25, 04:08 PM
ooc: will be unable to post until Tuesday evening, so more from my side then. Default tactic is to spot/listen and move silently/hide at normal speed, albeit -5 penalty. In case something unusual is spotted/listened from farther away with a light source in the distance, Mr. Shannow will try to cautiously hide/movesilently there for scouting - best together with Dr. Jones. Or taking turns, guarding the casters.

EDIT: Ambushes can be dealt with - both from Dr. Jones' and Mr. Shannow's side I guess - by combat reflexes with spiked chain/whip dagger, even possibly covering the spellcasters.
Mr. Shannow likely will try to disarm discernible weapons, in particular, if held with only one hand...he has an opposed disarm mod of +11 with the spiked chain and can try several times if more AoO present themselves (with no risk of being disarmed himself).
A quite likely occurance is that there is an encounter that Mr. Veidt can possibly solve through talking (with the opponent unaware of the hiding Dr. Jones and Mr. Shannow). That would be best. as would be avoiding encounters altogether.
Remember our goal!

- Giacomo

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-25, 04:15 PM
OoC - don't worry Giacomo. We'll save the next fighting encounter for you. :smallbiggrin:

Talic
2008-05-25, 09:09 PM
Grak:

In a raspy voice, seemingly unaccustomed to the language it's forced to use:
If it's all the same to you, I'd rather go third, thanks. After all, something may come from behind, and, to be honest, I'm not much of a fighting type. I shall help where I can, keeping you folks alive, perhaps a little help here and there from other blessings of faith, but if there's one thing that's true, it's that I do not want to be hit.

OOC/Mechanics:
Spellcraft checks for Mage Armor: [roll0], [roll1]

Solo
2008-05-25, 10:29 PM
Very well, I shall go last. Veidt shrugs, drawing his daggers.

(Shall we assume that the Light Warriors part starts moving down?)

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-26, 07:38 AM
Very well, I shall go last. Veidt shrugs, drawing his daggers.

(Shall we assume that the Light Warriors part starts moving down?)

((Of course. Onward, TO GLORY!))

Solo
2008-05-26, 07:42 AM
Veidt softly sings a song (http://youtube.com/watch?v=fTrK4VQG93Y&feature=related)behind the others.

Perform: Song [roll0]

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-26, 06:41 PM
As you proceed down the corridor (Veidt's singing spurring you on and giving you courage), the air begins to change. It feels somehow ... charged.

You can't quite put a finger on how, yet.

Solo
2008-05-26, 09:44 PM
K. Arcana to try and figure out if it's magical.

[roll0]

Spellcraft, if necessary: [roll1]

Talic
2008-05-27, 11:55 PM
The kobold, a bit nervous, murmurs a few quick words, audible to the rest of the party(and, with spellcraft, noticeable as the following spell).
Detect Magic

The kobold then appears to concentrate, surveying the area.

OOC/Mechanics:Cast Detect magic, focus on any areas with this charged disturbance. Assume I begin by scanning down the hallway ahead, then behind, then above and below, then to the left and the right. Assuming I get a positive reading, I'll focus in that direction until I get a clear reading. If I get all negatives, I'll continue down the hallway with the party, slowly, maintaining concentration on the spell.

Solo
2008-05-29, 07:40 AM
Veidt nudges the scaly one.

Do you detect anything?

Talic
2008-05-29, 09:21 AM
Not sure yet... Hold on a sec.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-29, 12:27 PM
Through the medium of your various detecting abilities, the prickling feeling that you had earlier is confirmed - there is a strong, but fairly far-off, aura of old magic, powerful magic, somewhere a few hundred meters in front of and below you. As the tunnel slopes towards it, the air has a distinct smell - ozone.

Talic
2008-05-29, 01:40 PM
Continue concentrating on it. School of magic?

OOC/Mechanics:Spellcraft check to determine the school of magic: [roll0] vs. DC 10+spell level

Edit: Ok, so I can ID the school of Vengeful Gaze of God, lol. Sigh, what a waste of a 20.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-29, 03:01 PM
You identify that ...

THEY'RE CASTING HELLBALL AT YOU OH SHI-

Er ...

What you see before you isn't exactly a 'schooled', divided form of magic, but rather a wellspring of purified magical energy sinking up slowly from the floor - no, from the rock itself. It is cool, unshaped, and heavy - but you do nonetheless feel a slight tinge of conjuration magic present in it - it has an artificial tang to it, unlike the tunnel's general atmosphere.

Also, Gia's spellcraft, since he isn't here.

[roll0].

Yes, with a roll of 28, Gia too spots the magic. Poor Doctor Jones.

Talic
2008-05-29, 03:15 PM
It seems there are magical energies gathering ahead. It's far too strong to be the lingering effects of expended magic, so whatever it is, it's still active. The aura is far too muddled to make out a coherent school of magic, though... I think its more basic than that. It seems like someone may have harnessed raw magical energy somehow, and used it to create or call something. What that is, I know not.

OOC:The Spellcraft to determine school is specifically granted by Detect Magic. Unless he has that spell active, Giacomo won't garner any information from spellcraft

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-29, 03:17 PM
Yeah, but the recognition of an Earth Node (school-less, btw) is a simple Spellcraft check. Since you're still a way off from it, you won't get much more from detect magic.

Yet.

Sir Giacomo
2008-05-29, 05:25 PM
Hi, just jumping in for some short post in between a week loaded with work...:smallfrown:...will post more again over the weekend.

Shannow suggests to cautiously advance towards the "node" (ooc: I assume that it is some powerful magical energy field known to those with knowledge arcane and spellcraft in that world).
"If it is a powerful magic area ahead of us, chances are that it is well guarded. Or, the robbers are nearby, having stopped near it. Let us be cautious and silent for now.
Mr Veidt, if you notice that I have trouble activating my enlarge effect when combat ensues, please use the enlarge wand I gave to you to enlarge me (getting within 30ft to do so).
"
If the others agree, he advances with Dr. Jones ahead of the group, moving silently and hiding, if possible, at normal speed (-5 penalty), reducing to half speed when he spots/listens something ahead.

- Giacomo

Solo
2008-05-29, 07:19 PM
I prepare myself to cast the wand if anything surprises us.

Also, I suggest that my familiar tag along 10 feet behind Shannow, using Scent to detect things.

Just before he goes, I cast Detect Magic on myself and let the familiar share it.
(My familiar can make spellcraft checks too.)

Jolly good then. Blackadder, you go along with him. Let me know if you smell anything suspicious.

Talic
2008-05-30, 01:28 AM
Nonsense. There are many magical effects that get cast and left behind. Most mages are as forgetful with where they leave their magic as I am with my rock collection. Still, it's never bad to assume trouble. By all means, go in first.

Sir Giacomo
2008-05-31, 02:21 AM
Well, Mr. Veidt. I am not so sure about your snake. It appears to be awfully slow (15ft move) and can get killed easily that much in the open. I suggest you keep it with you.

Solo
2008-05-31, 04:16 AM
What is more likely to get attacked, I wonder; a snake or the intruding human? Veidt asks, casting Mage Armor on himself.

By the way, will you be wanting a torch with you when you go scouting, or can you see in the dark?

Veidt gathers his familiar back up.

For DM

Veidt tells the familiar to go out anyways, after Shannow has left.

Familiar skills: Skills: Balance +11, Climb +11, Hide +15, Listen +6, Spot +6, Swim +5.
AC: 24 (with Mage Armor)
Scent (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#scent), 30 feet.

It is to follow directly behind Shannow to the best of its ability. It is to use Listen, Spot, and Scent to detect things, and Detect Magic + Spellcraft to identify anything magical.

If Shannow gets into trouble, it is to emphatically tell me this. if it detects a creature, it is emphatically tell me this while fleeing back. If it detects magical traps, or anything magical, it is to come back and tell me this. Etc, Etc, I think you get the idea.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-31, 03:34 PM
I'd prefer to stay outside of the torch's light, myself. Much easier to get the drop on someone that way.

Sir Giacomo
2008-06-01, 02:29 AM
Well, Mr. Veidt, so far I did not plan on moving beyond 40ft of my everburning torch that you carry - it's not that advisable yet to separate us more, I'd say - it's entirely possible that the robbers have laid an ambush next to the source of the magic node. How will they react, I wonder, if the only thing they see is a local farmer boy?:smallsmile:
(ooc: OK, let's all slow movement to 15ft; this way no more -5 to Mr. Jones and Mr. Shannow for hiding and moving silently)

Solo
2008-06-01, 05:38 AM
Alright, but the local farm boy had better be able to explain away the ironclad kobold menace behind him, as the farm boy makes a good target, holding the torch and whatnot.

Sir Giacomo
2008-06-01, 02:42 PM
The ironclad kobold can hide quite well behind you (you are so big).

:smallsmile:

Solo
2008-06-01, 06:16 PM
I say, I am beginning to see the flaw in the plan that has me as the only visible target holding a torch, a noisy kobold behind me loud enough to raise the dead, and two sneaky types in front of me silhouetting themselves against my torch light.

But since this is your area of expertise, not mine, I shall trust that you know what you are doing. Let us go forth.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-02, 04:12 PM
There is an opening ahead in the tunnel - it seems to broaden out into a promontory over a huge, catherdral-like space, that fades into an unseeable distance like a poorly rendered computer game. The air is charged with an even greater pall of energy, as if some greater etheric thunderhead was about to collapse. On the terrace in front of you lie two figures - still, and unmoving.

Damn you, internet! Going down and all ...

Also, you can make a DC 20 Spellcraft check to thell that you are in an Earth Node. When you make that check, I'll actually tell you what an Earth Node is.

Solo
2008-06-03, 02:21 AM
I am no doctor, but these men seem dead.

Talic
2008-06-03, 05:25 AM
At the sight of bodies, the kobold whispers quietly to the wand wielding arcanist, "I'll be nearby", slinks back a bit farther, allowing Detect Magic to drop, as he reaches the fringes of the torchlight, and hides himself as best he can.

OOC/Mechanics:Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Modifiers include the -2 penalty from the Chain Shirt I'm wearing.

Solo
2008-06-03, 05:36 AM
To familiar, who is behing Shannow: Blackadder, do you smell anything other than us?

So... I'm getting a little lonely here....

Talic
2008-06-03, 05:54 AM
(staying just out of torchlight, hidden, but near enough to Veidt to support him if need be. Primary focus is on Veidt, and the lit area.)

Solo
2008-06-03, 06:06 AM
Perform: Pelvid Thrust [roll0]

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-03, 05:50 PM
Guess I owe you 5 GP, Doctor Jones says as scouts the place. This men don't seem dead from traps. Hmm...I wonder if there's anything interesting on those two guys... Doctor Jones says as he walks towards the terrace.

Is there any way to reach the terrace, or do I have to roll for climb?

Solo
2008-06-03, 06:13 PM
Hold on there! That doesn't mean that there aren't traps; they could just be bait.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-03, 06:16 PM
[spoiler]The terrace is on the same level as you - it just opens out into the abyss. There are no visible traps anywhere near you, or, indeed, the abyss.

Solo
2008-06-03, 06:25 PM
Oh, and by the way, does anyone have a way across the abyss?

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-03, 06:32 PM
There is nothing really across the abyss. You seem to be in its only opening in the walls.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-03, 06:33 PM
Oh, and by the way, does anyone have a way across the abyss?

Jones raises an Eyebrow.

Yes. It's not like anyone here is capable of magical flight, right? Then, he inspects the bodies.

Once we have checked up this guys, we can throw them into the abyss...of DOOM, in case we're expected to make a leap of faith across this abyss.

Solo
2008-06-03, 06:34 PM
The faithful man will take a leap of faith. I am not such a man.

However, I do believe we have a man of faith here who is good at jumping.

Sir Giacomo
2008-06-04, 07:23 PM
Shannow tries to figure out what kind active spell or unusual spell effect this "abyss" thing is since it is none of the known spells of Mr. Veidt.

[roll0]

Otherwise, let us search this place thoroughly, including the bodies, before advancing for any remaining clues (taking 20 for total search check, 22).

ooc: will go to bed now...no, not Shannow...:smallsmile:

Solo
2008-06-04, 08:06 PM
I suspect either an illusionary terrain, or a really deep hole in the ground.

Veidt throws his rope over the edge from one side of the terrace and drags it to the other, testing for an invisible surface.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-04, 09:04 PM
Well, if our friends here don't have anything interesting on them, nobody is hurt if we give them a use, Doctor Jones says as he grabs one of the bodies and throws it into the chasm.

Solo
2008-06-04, 09:09 PM
Hey, I could have used that!

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-06, 12:34 PM
The body that Dr Jones pitches over the edge up feels oddly heavy - the reason for this becomes evident as it hits one of the walls (no, there's no invisible surface) Despite being, clothed - it ... well, it could only be said to have shattered against the walls of the well, scattering a fine stone dust that slowly drifts down.

The other body, that Shannow searches, is more conventionally corporeal - it is a dead halfling, his face half-chewed off. On his person are two large bags, now emptied, save for a letter, in a strange tongue - you might recognise it as Yuan-ti, but it's gibberish to you.

V unir orra qrynlrq. Zl freinagf pneel gur xvat'f obarf naq nyy gur vgrzf bs uvf punzcvbaf gung V pbhyq svaq. Zreguhivny, pnaabg ybpngr. y funyy fcraq n ovg zber gvzr gelvat gb svaq vg, ohg V nz fraqvat gurfr ba fb gung bhe eraqrmibhf vf abg pbzcebzvfrq. Cyrnfr tvir gur Inathneq zl ertneqf. y funyy or nybat fubegyl.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-06, 03:01 PM
Hmm. Seems like it's a deep fall, Indiana remarks, as he takes a look at the letter.

Meh, can't read this, boys. It reminds me of a phrase spoken by a madman, though: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Solo
2008-06-06, 10:48 PM
Knowledge: arcana , if applicable [roll0]

Also, use Bag of Tricks to pitch animals over the edge of the abyss

Dr. Jones, if you could refrain from attracting the attention of dark and forgotten gods for a moment, could you perhaps assist me in finding a way to cross this accursed place? Otherwise, we will be forced to turn back and try the other route.

Talic
2008-06-07, 03:57 AM
There is little I can do with the message right now, but in the morning, I may be able to offer insights into its meaning. Until then, more conventional means will have to suffice.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-07, 07:39 PM
Dr. Jones, if you could refrain from attracting the attention of dark and forgotten gods for a moment, could you perhaps assist me in finding a way to cross this accursed place? Otherwise, we will be forced to turn back and try the other route.

It doesn't seem like we should cross the abyss. Much more likely that there's some kind of secret passage or something like that. Our Yuan Ti quarry seems to be the egomaniacal sort that would love secret passages.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-07, 07:44 PM
Shannow, as he continues to search, reveals another interesting oddity - there are, in the fine layer of dust coating the floor, footprints - footprints that seem to lead off, straight over the edge.

The miscellaneous small animals pitch squealing to the floor below. What with various heretofore unknown laws governing kinetic energy, terminal velocity, and force, the fall doesn't kill the animals some 250ft below. The mice wander about squeaking below, until suddenly - all is silent again.

Solo
2008-06-07, 08:37 PM
Assuming Shannow points out the footprints:

Shannow, which do you think is more likely: There is something below us, or the person who made the footprints was forced to jump off in order to avoid some danger?

We could tie a rope around you and lower you down if you want to explore. Mr. Jones could search for traps.

Also, have Blackadder look for scents, especially around the walls. and floor, which could indicate secret passages or something.

Sir Giacomo
2008-06-08, 02:58 AM
Well, some of the robbers apparently went down here. I have a 50ft rope, on which we can tie this everburning torch. We let it down to gauge how deep it is down there. In case we need more rope, we'll simply bind another one of yours (if any of you have one) on it, and so on.
In case it is too deep, we'll need some kind of magic to get down there. But let us check the depth first.

Shannow takes 20 to bind his everburning torch to the rope and gently lets down his rope.

Solo
2008-06-10, 10:47 AM
Careful, Shannow, for when you stare at the abyss, the abyss stares back at you

Suddenly, an overhead trap is sprung and Veidt is pelted with a basketfull of rotten tomatoes.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-06-10, 02:01 PM
There are no secret passages; there is only the abyss.

Shannow's rope is too short to reach all the way down; in fact, it looks as if it only stretches 50ft of the way. This is enough to illuminate the bottom, however - the everburning torch flickers, igniting electrical sparks of magic from the air. The base is covered in an exceedingly thick layer of dust - no, not dust, but rather, some more chitinous substance.

Solo
2008-06-10, 08:26 PM
Veidt looks downwards.

Well, that seems safe enough. Shall we go down? The dust should leave footprints, so if anyone else went down there, we'd see them.

Talic
2008-06-10, 11:19 PM
By all meanssss, Mr. Veidt. After you.

Solo
2008-06-11, 11:43 AM
Send the mage to scout, feh feh

Veidt grabs the rope and slides down.

Making him roll a clomb check would likely cause him to fall and kill himself.

Sir Giacomo
2008-06-11, 12:40 PM
Wait, Veidt! (no pun intended...:smallsmile:).
The rope is likely not yet long enough for you - if you do not intend to use any magic. Does anyone else have a rope? Let's bind it to this one and fix it up here.
And since I'm possibly the fastest climbing up the rope again in case of trouble, I'd suggest I go first, while you cover me with ranged attacking options from above...
...I could also go first and catch you in case you slip...
Or in case our priest also has trouble climbing down, I'd suggest both Mr. Jones and myself combine our limited strength to lower you down there - but that could expose you to an ambush.

What will it be?

ooc: the climb DC with a rope down should be around 5.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-06-11, 03:07 PM
Hmm...I'll go first, if you don't mind, Doctor Jones says as he descends down the rope. As he reaches the end of the rope, he jumps down, preparing his body to diminish the effects of his fall.

Jumping down willfully reduces the effective distance by 10', and a successful Tumble check lowers it by another 10'.

Tumble: [roll0]

And of course, this. (http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=o1c05_yXmaI)

Solo
2008-06-11, 06:43 PM
Good idea, Shannow.

(Let's assume the party makes it down and move on. The poking of the DM will ensue.)

Sir Giacomo
2008-06-15, 09:58 AM
ooc: Azerian Kelimon, the distance jumped down is around 40ft. Jumping down deliberatly does not take off 10ft, but only turns the damage dealt to non-lethal. Provided you make the tumble check (as you did), that nets you 2d6 real and 1d6 non lethal damage. If anything would attack Dr. Jones down there, that would be quite bad (you being down by 10-11 hp).
What we COULD do is let Shannow go down first, he'll do the tumble check and can fall down the rest 30ft safely, due to his slow fall class ability.
Once down there, everyone just climbs down, jumps the rest (with Shannow catching them).
Dr. Jones then goes last, tying off the rope and using his regular rogue climb skill to get down. This way, we'd also keep the rope.
What do you think?
edit ooc2: Ach, what the heck - does noone have a 2nd rope? Would be hihgly unusual. This way, we'd just get down and be done with it. Let's not forget the everburning torch bound to the end of the 1st rope...:smallsmile:

Solo
2008-06-15, 09:45 PM
I have a rope.

Now, let us all engage in the ritual prodding of the DM.

Talic
2008-06-16, 01:51 AM
ooc: Azerian Kelimon, the distance jumped down is around 40ft. Jumping down deliberatly does not take off 10ft, but only turns the damage dealt to non-lethal. Provided you make the tumble check (as you did), that nets you 2d6 real and 1d6 non lethal damage. If anything would attack Dr. Jones down there, that would be quite bad (you being down by 10-11 hp).
What we COULD do is let Shannow go down first, he'll do the tumble check and can fall down the rest 30ft safely, due to his slow fall class ability.
Once down there, everyone just climbs down, jumps the rest (with Shannow catching them).
Dr. Jones then goes last, tying off the rope and using his regular rogue climb skill to get down. This way, we'd also keep the rope.
What do you think?
edit ooc2: Ach, what the heck - does noone have a 2nd rope? Would be hihgly unusual. This way, we'd just get down and be done with it. Let's not forget the everburning torch bound to the end of the 1st rope...:smallsmile:

OOC:
Jumping Down
If you intentionally jump from a height, you take less damage than you would if you just fell. The DC to jump down from a height is 15. You do not have to get a running start to jump down, so the DC is not doubled if you do not get a running start.

If you succeed on the check, you take falling damage as if you had dropped 10 fewer feet than you actually did.

While this typically is done from jumps of 20 feet, resulting in 2d6 being changed to 1d6 nonlethal (as 10 foot falls are treated as nonlethal damage, I believe), the jump check does indeed treat the fall as if it were 10 feet shorter.

Thus, a 40 foot fall, if you jumped intentionally, is treated as a 30 foot fall.
If you then tumbled, you would treat it as if it were a further 10 feet shorter, for a 20 foot fall.

Now that THAT's taken care of, and we know Azerion did apply his rules correctly...

*poke*

Sir Giacomo
2008-06-18, 05:13 PM
Ah, another rope! That solves it nicely.
(pulls rope back up, ties other rope to it, lets it down again with the everburnign torch at the end).
So I guess, I'll go first, then our casters, and then Dr. Jones in the rear - possibly you can climb well enough that you take the rope with you and climb without it?

ooc: Probably we can all take ten in the climb checks.

ooc2:
Talic, you're wrong.

You EITHER do a jump OR tumble check when you jump down OR let yourself fall. Not both.
Check the SRD falling rules, not only the jump check rules:
Falling Damage: The basic rule is simple: 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet fallen, to a maximum of 20d6.
If a character deliberately jumps instead of merely slipping or falling, the damage is the same but the first 1d6 is nonlethal damage. A DC 15 Jump check or DC 15 Tumble check allows the character to avoid any damage from the first 10 feet fallen and converts any damage from the second 10 feet to nonlethal damage. Thus, a character who slips from a ledge 30 feet up takes 3d6 damage. If the same character deliberately jumped, he takes 1d6 points of nonlethal damage and 2d6 points of lethal damage. And if the character leaps down with a successful Jump or Tumble check, he takes only 1d6 points of nonlethal damage and 1d6 points of lethal damage from the plunge.

Anyhow, we now have a rope, so that's settled (and if all had been monks, they could just have slow falled/tumbled without any damaged....:smallsmile:

Talic
2008-06-22, 12:54 AM
Anyhow, we now have a rope, so that's settled (and if all had been monks, they could just have slow falled/tumbled without any damaged....:smallsmile:

(and if all had been wizards/sorcerors, they could have Levitated or used Fly... and if all had been rogues, they could have all used their Climb skill... and if if if... doesn't really matter. These comments serve absolutely nothing, as a party of all one class is not balanced, and will not be able to handle as wide a variety of effects, showing the silliness of your comment)

Sir Giacomo
2008-06-24, 06:48 PM
er...Illiterate Scribe?

Will there be any encounters for playtesting yet?

- Giacomo

Solo
2008-06-24, 08:23 PM
er...Illiterate Scribe?

Will there be any encounters for playtesting yet?

- Giacomo

Giacomo, we're going to have to put this on hold until IS becomes a regular again and we replace the banned AK.

Sir Giacomo
2008-06-28, 11:47 AM
Hmm. Why did AK get banned? Anyhow, will try to PM Illiterate Scribe to ask him to go on DMing. It should also be possible without Dr. Jones around, I think, since the Joker monk can do most of the scouting part (unfortunately, there are no more sneakers around then for making use of the joker's grappling).

- Giacomo

Talic
2008-06-28, 03:53 PM
I'm not entirely sure, but I believe public discussion of banned members may be a restricted topic. In any case, it seems I've lost a few friends recently to bans here, so I personally will be trying to give all the rules a wide berth.

EDIT: Just checked, and yep. Here's a link for convenience. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1)