PDA

View Full Version : Shadow sun ninjas

Project_Mayhem
2008-05-25, 08:54 AM
Would it be reasonable to replace the 'Monk Abilities' class feature with a slightly homebrewed 'Ninja Abilities' class feature, that advanced the Ninja's unarmoured AC and Sudden Strike?

Or would that be substantially more/less powerful?

Kristoss
2008-05-25, 09:25 AM
I'm AFBs ATM, but iirc that would be just exactly the same.
:smalleek:Oh my god I just used three acronyms in one sentence. :smalleek:

Project_Mayhem
2008-05-25, 09:32 AM
I'm AFBs ATM, but iirc that would be just exactly the same.

Dunno. It boils down to, is sudden strike progression equivilant to the monk unarmed damage, speed, flurry, and stunning fist?

Oh my god I just used three acronyms in one sentence.

Honarable suicide is your only remaining option

Xyk
2008-05-25, 11:12 AM
As far as flavor goes, I'd say it would fit better for ninjas. Sudden strike is probably weaker than all of the monk's abilities. I'd rather have monk abilities than sudden strike. It would probably be different, but not altogether stronger or weaker. Weaker in direct combat, stronger elsewhere.

Project_Mayhem
2008-05-25, 11:38 AM
Of course I have the advantage of no levels in monk ...

The plan is just straight ninja x/ shadowsun x.

Obviously with the maneuver feats.

Vortling
2008-05-25, 12:03 PM
Shadow Sun Ninja gives you unarmored AC bonus of a monk based off your SSN levels regardless of whether you were a monk or not. The monk progression is better than the ninja progression and I see no reason why they couldn't stack. If you're keeping the ki aspect of ninja I'd suggest letting SSN progress your ki pool and sudden strike. It won't be any more powerful than straight ninja since SSN doesn't really give you ways to get sudden strike

Project_Mayhem
2008-05-25, 12:25 PM
Ah thanks, I forgot Ki. That makes sense.

It won't be any more powerful than straight ninja since SSN doesn't really give you ways to get sudden strike

Although I think several maneuvers help.

Te'Shen
2008-05-25, 12:42 PM
As far as flavor goes, I'd say it would fit better for ninjas. Sudden strike is probably weaker than all of the monk's abilities. I'd rather have monk abilities than sudden strike. It would probably be different, but not altogether stronger or weaker. Weaker in direct combat, stronger elsewhere.It is weaker than all the monk abilities... even if you include ki point progression. The one thing that does stick for me though is that you can get most of the monk abilities it gives with magic items. So if you turn around and give shadow sun ninja abilities/stacking then you can still pick up most of the monk abilities with a monk's belt (DMG) and a monk's tattoo (Magic of Faerun). Granted, the tattoo is freaking expensive...