PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Saga: classes

nerulean
2008-05-25, 10:13 AM
I have just picked up Star Wars Saga Edition (yeah yeah, late I know - I'm adding it to the pile of new systems to learn over the summer) and turned, as I often do, to the classes section first. Since I've heard this is a really nice game with lovely balance all round, I was a bit disappointed with reading the noble class.

As someone who loves playing bards, it ought to really appeal to me, but it just looks dull as ditchwater to play. Powerful though the effect may be, what is the fun in spending the first three rounds of combat making everyone else in your party considerably better than you, and then either unleashing sub-par attacks or just giving your turn to someone else? Would it have hurt to allow the noble to affect himself with his abilities, especially the ones that buff the whole of the rest of the party? It seems a tad unfulfilling, as well as potentially making you a massive weak spot in the party as a whole.

Now, I haven't read the rules comprehensively yet and I certainly haven't seen the game played, so I wanted to ask people with more experience than myself before I dismiss it out of hand. What's the deal? Are nobles boring to play - and I'm talking specifically in combat here - or am I missing something? Are you meant to multiclass?

Pink_Paladin
2008-05-25, 10:25 AM
...what is the fun in spending the first three rounds of combat making everyone else in your party considerably better than you, and then either unleashing sub-par attacks or just giving your turn to someone else?

And bard is not?

I suggest you to play something else this time. Play a Jedi, or play a Noble and take some levels in Soldier or Scout.

nerulean
2008-05-25, 10:46 AM
The difference is a bard still affects himself with his buffs. If he's giving the party a +12 morale bonus on attacks and damage, he gets the benefit of that bonus too, and if he's using dragonfire inspiration for the extra 12d6 damage instead, he's doing that extra 12d6 damage just as much as the fighter or the rogue is. The bard and the noble both start out sub-par as far as combat is concerned, but while a bard keeps the difference between himself and a dedicated melee combatant the same, the noble increases the power gap the more of his abilities he uses.

As for multiclassing, though, the system does look like it's designed to accommodate that fairly heavily. It just seems off that there's a class that doesn't do anything off its own back in a system that only has five classes.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-25, 10:50 AM
I wouldn't be too concerned with combat ability... everyone can use a blaster pistol :smallsmile:

Nobles are good for other talents... I had a black market trader that was pulling down a lot of credits because of my lineage talent selections.

nerulean
2008-05-25, 10:57 AM
The lineage tree is fun, and is rather better executed than the old d20 version of those abilities. Still, two of the noble's talent trees are aimed at combat, which seems a bit hefty to just ignore.

Attilargh
2008-05-25, 10:59 AM
Two? What happened to Influence, now?

Still, mechanically you pose a good question. However, by the default fluff, letting them apply to the Noble as well would be a bit peculiar, at least in some cases. For example, inspiring confidence in oneself. Sure, people do go "I can do this, I'll show 'em!" in life as well as stories, but I don't think making it a Talent exclusive to one class would be very appropriate.

nerulean
2008-05-25, 11:23 AM
Well, two that cause the increase in the difference between combat capability that I was looking at, even if influence can make a big difference in combat.

I get what you're saying about the fluff and it does make sense, but there are other possible fluff explanations for the class. A young, cocky, rich idiot who succeeds in situations that should overwhelm him through sheer force of self-confidence is cool. A young, cocky, rich idiot who has that same force of self-confidence but never actually succeeds at anything is just an idiot.

Talya
2008-05-25, 01:21 PM
The noble is underated...and not for those bard-like abilities. In fact, i much prefer the Influence and especially lineage talent trees to the inspiration or leadership trees.

Inspire Haste and Trust are really nice, mind you.

Jack Zander
2008-05-25, 01:30 PM
The noble is underated...and not for those bard-like abilities. In fact, i much prefer the Influence and especially lineage talent trees to the inspiration or leadership trees.

Inspire Haste and Trust are really nice, mind you.

But are they fun? I think that's what the OP is asking.

I've never played a Noble, but from the sounds of it, doing nothing but buffing your allies and giving them your turn doesn't sound too fun.

Though, demand surrender looks useful.

Talya
2008-05-25, 06:33 PM
But are they fun? I think that's what the OP is asking.

The Influence and Lineage trees appear very fun. The Inspiration and Leadership trees? Not so much.

Caewil
2008-05-25, 06:37 PM
The one that makes enemies run away is pretty nice. Very good on a Sith Lord/Temptation build.

Zim
2008-05-25, 08:07 PM
We have a noble in our group and she's the party doctor. Very handy in those life and death situations (treating disease, first aid when you've used up your second wind, sewing your arm back on...). The massive pile of skills, boosting talents and access to the wealth talent are great too.

KillianHawkeye
2008-05-25, 08:30 PM
Disclaimer: When playing Star Wars Saga Edition, always make sure to incorporate the extensive errata. (Really, it's like they didn't even edit the book at all.)

I don't know if there's anything on there that will help with the Noble, though.