PDA

View Full Version : [4e] - Orcus from Necromancer Games on the Core Rulebooks

SamTheCleric
2008-05-25, 10:54 AM
Found this while browsing ENworld.

Source: http://necromancergames.yuku.com/topic/9515/t/I-have-the-3-core-rule-books.html?page=2

It bothers me how much he says Startling. there are other adjectives!

My review of the books.

I'm still digesting alot of it. But I can make these statements. The books are startling. That is the best way I can describe them. That is both good and bad to some, I think it is all good.

1. They are startlingly beautiful. Maybe that isnt the most useful comment for a game book. But they are. They are very cleanly laid out.

2. They are startlingly useful. Their layout format is so easy to use it is amazing. These books were designed to be used to answer your question at the game table during play. No more 10 minute breaks to flip through the PHB. Literally, it takes 2 seconds to find the answer to "hey, does he have cover" or "can I do that with my acrobatics skill" or "what does XXX do?"

3. They are startlingly well organized. The 4E designers were not afraid to change things. They put magic items in the PHB, for instance. Having the powers by class also makes them more easy to reference. And there are nice sidebar "headers" on each page that say which class you are looking at to make it clear where you are in the book. Stuff is more where it should be. There is little to no flipping between books for answers. The DMG is more advice and adventure prep and stuff like that. The PHB is what you need to run the game.

4. They are startlingly unashamed in the changes they made. This is where the books, at first glance, will bother people who are predisposed to not liking 4E. The books dont at first glance seem "comfortable and similar and familiar." They used a new layout and new organization. Looking back on all the PHBs since the first AD&D PHB the format has been about the same. This one changes it all up. And that first impression is a bit startling. Plus, some of the new stuff is front and center. Heck, dragonborn are the first player race. The first bit of art in the book, starting from teh first page, is a dragonborn. That is new content. They dont try to ease you into it. I have said in the past, they didnt just kill sacred cows, they hung their carcass in the store windo--but I think this is a good thing. If you are going to make changes, dont %+%+* foot around the issue, jump in and do it. And that is what they did. I firmly believe that if people want to not like 4E, there is enough there on first glance to support their fears, BUT once you look past that first layer, you will see this is not only D&D, its is better and better organized and all the changes are improvements.

5. There are a few startling omissions. I still cant find a justification for leaving out a druid and a bard. I can see leaving out sorcerer (that was a 3E add on anyway) and monk (not that mainstream anyway, and has a particular flavor that has always clashed a bit with mainstream high fantasy) and the barbarian. But the druid and bard really should have been there. Of course, all that means is that we can create that content for you

6. Monsters are startling simple and awesome. Dragons are back. They are rad. They are easy to create and modify. Gone are the multi-hour prep sessions for DMs. My only gripe is that a few powers should be more deadly. I think they went overboard the other way in removing save or die powers. But, again, that just lets me provide the alternate rules. I may question a few of their choices--like, why do I need a couple of the lame monsters that are new but you wont give me the iconic iron golem, for instance. But those gripes are few.

7. The game is both startlingly complex and startlingly simple. This is not Basic D&D. It has a lot of options, but those options are surprisingly managable.

8. The books are startlingly fat-free. They are 99% crunch, 1% fluff, if that. They are not for reading anymore. Remember the days you might crack the DMG for a list of suggested reading and to get some fun gygaxian flavor and musings. That is gone. These books are purely designed for game use at the game table. Period. I thought I knew what all crunch, no fluff was, but then I saw these books. These are all crunch, no fluff. I think it is a bold move, but, like many of the above, it will contribute to people who are predisposed to not like 4E to say "this doesnt feel right with me." But if you look past those things, this is D&D.

Bottom line: this is the best designed set of D&D books ever. The MM is awesome. The stuff you need to run the game is in the PHB and is organized so it is really useful at the table. And the DMG truly offers help for the DM in a way we have never seen before.

Yahzi
2008-05-25, 11:01 AM
The DMG should be to world-building and running what the PHB is to character-building and running.

That would be really cool.

Matthew
2008-05-25, 11:03 AM
I think that's his joke. Anyway, sounds like exactly what I would expect him to say. :smallwink: Seriously, though, there is not much here that is surprising, given what we have heard about 4e. I thought they were going to supply a default starting town, though? Has that gone out the window or is it some sort of 'crunch' town?

SamTheCleric
2008-05-25, 11:11 AM
Also found this interesting...

Retraining is very easy. Every level up you can make one change - a swap of a power, skill or feat, with specific rules for each.

... So if you try out a power for a level and don't like how it works, you can swap out. Nice.

LoopyZebra
2008-05-25, 11:23 AM
I think that's his joke. Anyway, sounds like exactly what I would expect him to say. :smallwink: Seriously, though, there is not much here that is surprising, given what we have heard about 4e. I thought they were going to supply a default starting town, though? Has that gone out the window or is it some sort of 'crunch' town?

I believe it's still in there and is the preview article for tomorrow.

Here's the remaining articles, in case you're interested.

* Mon 05/26: Fallcrest (DMG)
* Wed 05/28: Rituals (PH)
* Fri 05/30: Humans as Monsters (MM)
* Mon 06/02: Alignment (PH)

Morty
2008-05-25, 11:57 AM
* Mon 06/02: Alignment (PH)

Maybe I'm cranky, but I'm really worried about these two.
Also, I don't know what's so "startling" about Dragonborn being first race in PHB given the fact that, you know, they're first in the alphabet. They're still ridiculously stupid, though.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-25, 12:01 PM
Here's a really terrible GamerZer0 interview with one of the designers/writers of 4e going over Monster Roles in the MM.

The Mind Flayer stat block is an ENTIRE COLUMN...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60vAW5SzmQE&eurl=http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=227180

EDIT: Terrible because of the "forced" and "scripted" feel. The content is actually quite nice.

TheOOB
2008-05-25, 12:41 PM
Well, the mindflayer is one of the few monsters that WotC actually owns, so they probably want to push it.

Anyways, there is little information in the post. I'm happy to hear another comment about how well organized the book is and it's focus on crunch rather then fluff(fluff is good, the core books just are not the place for it). The biggest problem he seemed to have was the lack of some base classes, which we will probably see in a year when the 2nd PHB comes out. They didn't feel they could do the classes justice yet in the new system and make them balanced so they are taking more time to develop them(getting some live full scale playtesting while they are at it). I can respect that.

Tallis
2008-05-25, 01:42 PM
Wow, startling....

I don't much like the fact that they are leaving out druid and bard (and gnomes). The nobles from SW saga edition had me looking forward to a revamp of bards and I just like druids.
I also think they should have kept some fluff in the core books. It can be a useful aid for getting new gamers interested and it can spark new ideas for games and characters even in the most experienced gamers. Don't overwhelm me with it, but leave it there.
Less prep time and better organization really appeal to me.

kamikasei
2008-05-25, 01:44 PM

Finally! We've gone without pithy stereotyping for so long in this game.

Newtkeeper
2008-05-25, 03:49 PM
Finally! We've gone without pithy stereotyping for so long in this game.

Yeah! Humans are, after all, the real monsters.

wodan46
2008-05-25, 04:23 PM
I'm curious what they mean by that. Do they mean monsters as in Gnomes being in the Monster Manual? Or maybe they are talking about Humans being corruptible, just as the various other races are given varying imperfections.

Renegade Paladin
2008-05-25, 04:27 PM
They mean that PCs work on entirely different rules than everybody else, so if you want human bad guys, you need to use the monster rules for making them. Or at least, that's my guess, since they just can't be consistent about the way creatures work in the game.

wodan46
2008-05-25, 04:44 PM
There are several humans in the monster manual already, I saw a Level 1 Human Guard monster and a Level 1 Human Bandit monster.

wodan46
2008-05-25, 04:52 PM
There are several humans in the monster manual already, I saw a Level 1 Human Guard monster and a Level 1 Human Bandit monster. Also saw a decent level Dwarven Warlord monster.

Reel On, Love
2008-05-25, 05:30 PM
They mean that PCs work on entirely different rules than everybody else, so if you want human bad guys, you need to use the monster rules for making them. Or at least, that's my guess, since they just can't be consistent about the way creatures work in the game.

Because it's not like 3.5 had different rules for PCs and for monsters, right?

Merlin the Tuna
2008-05-25, 05:31 PM
Also, I don't know what's so "startling" about Dragonborn being first race in PHB given the fact that, you know, they're first in the alphabet.Eh, Humans are first in the 3.5 PHB.

<Shrug>

SamTheCleric
2008-05-25, 05:50 PM
I'm curious what they mean by that. Do they mean monsters as in Gnomes being in the Monster Manual? Or maybe they are talking about Humans being corruptible, just as the various other races are given varying imperfections.

Yes, they are probably talking about the Human page of the MM... kind of like the big listing of Orcs... and if you watch that youtube interview... they say that each "monster" has several entries that work at different levels.

Renegade Paladin
2008-05-25, 06:35 PM
Not really. They work on the same basis; PCs and NPCs both get BAB, a feat every three levels, skill points, save bonuses, and all other level/HD-dependent benefits, and NPCs can and do take levels in adventurer classes. They work on the same fundamental basis; the only real difference is the wealth by level charts.

Morty
2008-05-26, 07:28 AM
Eh, Humans are first in the 3.5 PHB.

<Shrug>

Are they? Oh, crap. I should have checked PHB before typing anything, only I done have it with me right now. But Dragonborn are first in the alphabet anyway, so now it's a question wheter it's because of that they're first in PHB or is it because WoTC is rubbing their precious(and IMO stupid) new race into our faces.

In case of humanoid monsters, not really. Humanoid monsters had levels, BAB, saves etc. just like PCs did, the difference were in stats and wealth, as well as enemies often having NPC classes. But the principle were the same.