PDA

View Full Version : Babylon 5 [will contain spoilers]

Athaniar
2008-05-25, 01:47 PM
Come one, who else likes this great show? Just finished watching all episodes and films (except Lost Tales). I think it's my favorite TV series ever.

Just a stray thought: it's very bad that they didn't continue with LotR as a series. It started off so good. By the way, I think the Hand from LotR and the Thirdspace Aliens are the same. The cloaked beings at the end of LotR were of course corrupted Vorlons.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-25, 02:32 PM
I saw all of the original show and liked it. I liked the one with Excalibur as well, but they didn't even get to make a whole season of that one.

Muz
2008-05-25, 04:47 PM
Just finished up season 4, myself. (I discovered I could get the whole series on eBay for rather cheap and new, and couldn't resist.)

warty goblin
2008-05-25, 05:02 PM
B5 is my favorite Sci-Fi TV series of all time, and fairly high up my list of all time favorites. It also wins my "Best Space Battles on Film" award unconditionally.

Season 3/4 are honestly incrediable beyond all reason, the epicness is pretty much off the charts, but still relatable and believable.

factotum
2008-05-26, 12:56 AM
It's just a bit sad they had to compress everything in season 4 due to the fear of not getting renewed, and then got a season 5 anyway...just how made of awesome would those last two seasons have been without that?

Vaire
2008-05-26, 10:07 AM
This is one of the greatest sci-fi shows every made. The best plotline I have ever seen, too.

Beautifully done.

Muz
2008-05-26, 01:40 PM
It's just a bit sad they had to compress everything in season 4 due to the fear of not getting renewed, and then got a season 5 anyway...just how made of awesome would those last two seasons have been without that?

From what I understand, the episode with Sheridan being interrogated would've been the season 4 finale.

Jimorian
2008-05-26, 08:34 PM
I saw all of the original show and liked it. I liked the one with Excalibur as well, but they didn't even get to make a whole season of that one.

The amount of interference TNT thrown in front of "B5: Crusade" was right up there with how Fox screwed with Firefly. A friend of mine was one of the writers on the show, and on one of her episodes, the script notes included them wanting to add a dog to make it more family accessible AND for one of the main characters to attempt rape on another main character to make it more "edgy".

JMS has told the story at conventions where he reads over the 20 pages of notes while surrounded by a table full of corporate suits. He finishes reading them, sets them down on the table...

"No."

"No? No to what?"

"No to page 1. No to page 20. No to all the pages in between."

This was after making dozens of changes that he could, even though it was already interfering with production schedules, the story arc, and just otherwise making everybody on the team extremely cranky. :smallconfused:

TheRiov
2008-05-27, 07:44 AM
Let me preface this by saying Babylon 5 is one of my all time favorite series (and has been. I was a fan when it came out originally)

Now, I have some major issues with the show too however:
A) Acting & Directing were often all over the place. The casting director for extras was TERRIBLE. There were some perfectly good moments spoiled by terrible acting and directing and casting. (As much as I love Lyta Alexander, Pat Tallman often had issues acting her way out of a wet paper bag.)
B) Traci Scoggins was not a good choice for a commander. The loss of Susan Ivanova (the best female character in Sci Fi hands down) as a character because of the contact fight was horrid.

There were however, moments of brilliance. The fact that it didnt' shy away from human religions was a good thing. Passing through Gesthemne was superb (though did suffer from the our-extras-can't-act syndrome).

Mr. Scaly
2008-05-27, 07:49 AM
Seen season one, have to get around to season two.

It's weird...the first commander had all this hype around him, about being 'chosen' by the Minbari or whatever but in the second season he was given the boot. Whatever happened with that? Ah well, he was pretty mediocre anyway.

Lady Tialait
2008-05-27, 09:05 AM
*pets Mr Scaly* It's been a while sense I have seen it all, but the First Captain just was 'Not the One'....

Talya
2008-05-27, 09:06 AM
It's weird...the first commander had all this hype around him, about being 'chosen' by the Minbari or whatever but in the second season he was given the boot. Whatever happened with that?

It's dealt with. Do not fear.

Bab5 was an excellent storyline. I won't call it an excellent all around show. Apart from Andreas Katsulas (RIP) and Peter Jurassic, the acting was some of the worst I've seen. The CG effects look like they were done on a late 80's commodore amiga (Oh wait, they were!) But the storyline and writing were so damn good it didn't matter...

Athaniar
2008-05-27, 09:35 AM
A good thing is that the hyperspace/wormhole effect improved greatly in the later films.

SydneyLosstarot
2008-05-27, 10:12 AM
yeah, B5 is pretty epic and all, but Firefly is much better in terms of character development and dialogue intensity.
and it's just much more fun =)

though Londo Mollari really rocks.

How many Centauri does it take to change a lightbulb?

TheRiov
2008-05-27, 11:57 AM
"Only one. But in the great old days of the Republic a hundred servants would change a thousand lightbulbs at our slightest whim!"

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-27, 04:17 PM
though Londo Mollari really rocks.

How many Centauri does it take to change a lightbulb?

I still prefer Vir's line to Mr. Mordin.

TheThan
2008-05-28, 10:30 PM
I still prefer Vir's line to Mr. Mordin.

oh you mean this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0n2vurSBIQ)

As good as that is, i still love it when he goes balistic on the drazi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8MjQ5Z7ZNo&feature=related)

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-28, 11:01 PM
oh you mean this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0n2vurSBIQ)

Yeah, and this one. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47DfQcHMYLY)

These (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFvkgfBXHPA&feature=related) two (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfNZnOp1iHU&feature=related) are good as well. B5 had a lot of good moments.

As good as that is, i still love it when he goes balistic on the drazi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8MjQ5Z7ZNo&feature=related)
Yeah, Londo's line at the end is the best part though.

Oh, and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCbOmYJ7IU0) one.

SydneyLosstarot
2008-05-29, 03:24 AM
"We have an open door policy." -- Sheridan
"And an open airlock one." -- Ivanova

or smth like this, threatening to space a newsmaker

Mr. Scaly
2008-05-29, 08:23 AM
Ah, so it's not just ignored.

(watches scene with Vir and Mordin)

...Wow. Vir officially kicks ass now.

TheRiov
2008-05-29, 09:51 AM
Its funny, people either REALLY hate Sheridan or REALLY hate Sinclair. There seem to be no inbetweens.

One of my friends insists on referring to Sheridan as "Captain Chowderhead" and my wife refers to Sinclair as "Ugly-Hair-Man" and wont allow me to turn on the first season of B5

Muz
2008-05-29, 10:14 AM
I don't *hate* Sheridan, I just find him extremely wooden. So of course he makes a great Minbari. :smallbiggrin:

Athaniar
2008-05-29, 10:48 AM
I have no problem with either commander, Lochley included. But that's just me.

Mr. Friendly
2008-05-29, 10:50 AM
Its funny, people either REALLY hate Sheridan or REALLY hate Sinclair. There seem to be no inbetweens.

One of my friends insists on referring to Sheridan as "Captain Chowderhead" and my wife refers to Sinclair as "Ugly-Hair-Man" and wont allow me to turn on the first season of B5

/in-between

Sinclair was ok and of course as the series panned out, it made him even better.

Sheridan was just awesome though.

It's basically the difference between Kirk and Picard. They are both good in their own ways, but while I might want to have Picard around leading the diplomacy mission, I want Kirk there to punch someone.

Joran
2008-05-29, 11:47 AM
I'm fine with either Captain or Commander. One of my friends in high school despised Ivanova with a passion that burned. I think it was because he was Russian and he loved Marcus.

Anyway, Babylon 5 is one of the pinnacles of science fiction television and I loved it so. It's however very hard to get someone into, since they have to watch it sequentially over 5 seasons.

Muz
2008-05-29, 03:06 PM
/in-between

Sinclair was ok and of course as the series panned out, it made him even better.

Sheridan was just awesome though.

It's basically the difference between Kirk and Picard...

<nerd>Hrm, Sinclair's not that engaging a character. I'd argue that it's actually more the difference between Kirk and Janeway.</nerd> By the way, has anyone seen the B5 outtake where Boxleitner answers his link, "This is Sinclair," and then everyone around him bursts out laughing? :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, Babylon 5 is one of the pinnacles of science fiction television and I loved it so. It's however very hard to get someone into, since they have to watch it sequentially over 5 seasons.

Aww, you just have to get them to sit still long enough to get hooked. (That's what leather straps and handcuffs are for!:smallwink:)

Vaire
2008-05-30, 09:28 AM
It took my dad two episodes to get hooked, and he didn't see them in sequential order (at the time, the only place you could see it was on one of our local stations at 3 a.m.)

My favorite speech of all time was the Ivanova is God speech, closely followed by Marcus's "Okay, I'll get a bucket" line.

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-30, 10:06 AM
My favorite speech of all time was the Ivanova is God speech, closely followed by Marcus's "Okay, I'll get a bucket" line.
Ivanova is God is a great speech. B5 had a lot of great ones, both in the comedy and bad ass departments. Too bad when I watched them all last was like a year ago and I can't remember them specifically enough to get quotes for you tube.

Muz
2008-05-30, 10:26 AM
I like Kosh's speech. You know, that one he did when the one character was coming to him for answers?

"Yes."

I love that guy. :smallwink:

Swordguy
2008-05-30, 12:02 PM
I'll admit, I love the show, even though I came to it late (only caught up with everything once I got the DVD sets) and the CGI has aged...poorly at best. The the scope the show, the sheer storytelling chutzpah involved to tell a story like this on American TV, means it should not be forgotten. There's been nothing really like it since.

As for scenes, I've always admired Ivonova's sense of perspective... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEsFB2GPy24)

Vaire
2008-05-31, 08:42 AM
I also love the one where the good Doctor puts her on a "food plan"

All her life she has fought against Imperialism, now suddenly, she is the expanding Russian Frontier.

Grey Watcher
2008-05-31, 09:15 AM
It took my dad two episodes to get hooked, and he didn't see them in sequential order (at the time, the only place you could see it was on one of our local stations at 3 a.m.)

MARCUS: You seem to have struck a nerve. The Vorlons must owe them money or something.

IVANOVA: It proves that they understand our language, they're just not willing to speak to us in it.

MARCUS: Who knew they were French?

xPANCAKEx
2008-05-31, 09:28 AM
bab5 was my benchmark for epic sci-fi for a while, but Battlestar now has that title

bab5 did have some brilliant moments though - like real wet-yourself-laughing moments. G'kar's talk with the homeworld discussing his attempt to assainate the centauri emperor after he had collapsed probably ranks up there amongst the best.
either that or when he and Londo are stuck in a lift together and londo is yelling for help

Muz
2008-06-02, 12:54 PM
bab5 was my benchmark for epic sci-fi for a while, but Battlestar now has that title

I was about to make some comment about how sad that is, but I suppose it'd be in appropriate to condemn BSG based soley on its first season (which was all I could take) in a thread on Babylon 5, whose own first season didn't adequately portray the quality of the series as a whole. :smallsmile:

Athaniar
2008-06-03, 03:49 PM
And besides, do you know that the very site you are looking at now is named after the very show we are discussing right now? I do have to congratulate the Giant (is he more of a vorlon or shadow?) for his good taste in Sci-Fi.

mentatzarkon
2008-06-03, 04:00 PM
And besides, do you know that the very site you are looking at now is named after the very show we are discussing right now? I do have to congratulate the Giant (is he more of a vorlon or shadow?) for his good taste in Sci-Fi.

The best part for me is that despite being completely obsessed with this series (I actually shed a few tears when I heard that Andreas Katsulas had died) I didn't even realize the connection until I read that post.

Anyone else here a huge fan of Walter Koenig's character (ie Bester)? I always find him to be a totally magnificent bastard.

-Also I have to add that BSG is a freakin' remake! That gives it less props than B5 just on the merit of B5 being a totally orginal creation. For fairness' sake I should mention that I also watch BSG, it's not like we sci-fi fans can afford to be too picky...

Athaniar
2008-06-08, 03:43 PM
Yeah, he fits that role perfectly.

Vaire
2008-06-11, 09:06 AM
At the risk of ticking off Star Trek fans everywhere, I think Koenig did a better job at being Bester than he ever did at playing Chekhov. Of course, I might just like the character better. I love a bad guy who's a smart-alec.

I'm rewatching the series now. I'm up to season 3. I just watched The War Without End parts 1 & 2. Wow. Great story, but it reminds me of just how much better an actor Boxleitner was than the guy who plays Sinclair.

Ilena
2008-06-17, 12:14 PM
Its been along time since i watched B5, that show will always be in my living memory as one of the best sci-fi, and the space battles ... only battlestar galactica (the new one) has anything close from any sci-fi that ive seen, Love the white stars, as for bester ... he was well played from what i remember.