PDA

View Full Version : Raging Soul (Base Class, PEACH)

Prophaniti
2008-05-25, 11:51 PM
So, while playing yet another campaign of D&D, I decided to give one of my old favorites a run, the Warpriest. While leveling a Cleric to meet the qualifications I was informed by my DM that in this setting (his own) Clerics of my particular deity, a decidedly Thor-like war god, must take a level of Barbarian before he grants them access to higher-level divine spells. While this doesn't really bother me, I thought Where's the fun in just tacking a level of barbarian on? and immediately set about to create a class unique to such a concept as the barbarian/cleric. So, here's the first draft.

Raging Soul

"The might of the gods themselves courses through me."
-Graukhan, Raging Soul

In the wild frontiers of the world a warrior is prized by his people above most others. Violence and warfare is a fact of life to many of the beings in these 'uncivilized' parts of the world, and their gods reflect that. Occasionally individuals of prowess and faith will be marked by their god, set aside as holy warriors. These are not shining knights competing in a tournament or saving damsels, nor aesthetic monks devoting their lives to quiet prayer and study. These gods have need of more brutal, direct faithful.
AdventuresA Raging Soul may adventure for many reasons. Many gods of the areas that give rise to these individuals encourage or even command adventuring. It tests and strengthens the body and faith of the Raging Soul, and often the non-good deities send their followers reaving, gathering riches and slaves, destroying the weak and defenseless.
AlignmentA Raging Soul is the product of a brutal, harsh exhistance in lands far from the touch of civilization. His every moment is as likely to be a fight for survival as not. Raging Souls are rarely lawful. A Raging Soul, like a Cleric, must have an alignment no more than one step away from his deity to receive his divine abilities.
ReligionA Raging Soul receives his unique abilities as a blessing from his god. To continue receiving such blessings, he must be in tune with his god and the land around him. Those deities who call forth Raging Souls are generally those of the wild, untamed parts of the world, though in some lands, a god of war may call them forth to bring his will to rival city-states.
BackgroundA Raging Soul may be called from any walk of life, though most often they are chosen from the ranks of young tribal warriors who show great promise and faith.
RaceThe fury of the gods is beyond most racial boundaries, though some races and their patron deities are far more likely to give rise to this peculiar version of holy warrior. Orcs, Lizardmen and other more savage humanoids see them more frequently than most races.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Fast Movement, Rage 1/day|2

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Uncanny Dodge|3|0+1

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3||3|1+1

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Rage 2/day|3|2+1|0+1

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Improved Uncanny Dodge|3|3+1|1+1

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Wrath +1d6|3|3+1|2+1

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5||3|3+1|2+1|0+1

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+2|
+6|Rage 3/day|3|3+1|3+1|1+1

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+3|
+6||3|3+1|3+1|2+1

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+3|
+7||3|3+1|3+1|2+1|0+1

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+3|
+7|Righteous Rage|3|3+1|3+1|3+1|1+1

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|Rage 4/day, Wrath +2d6|3|3+1|3+1|3+1|2+1

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8||3|3+1|3+1|3+1|2+1|0+1

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+4|
+9|Cleansing|4|3+1|3+1|3+1|3+1|1+1

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+5|
+9||4|4+1|3+1|3+1|3+1|2+1

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Rage 5/day|4|4+1|4+1|3+1|3+1|2+1|0+1

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Tireless Rage|4|4+1|4+1|4+1|3+1|3+1|1+1

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Wrath +3d6|4|4+1|4+1|4+1|4+1|3+1|2+1

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11||4|4+1|4+1|4+1|4+1|4+1|3+1

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Divine Rage, Rage 6/day|4|4+1|4+1|4+1|4+1|4+1|4+1[/table]

Hit Diced10
Weapon and Armor ProficienciesRaging Souls are proficient with all Simple and Martial Weapons, Light and Medium Armor, and all shields except Tower Shields.
Skill Points 4+int per level (4+intx4 at level 1).
Class SkillsPending
Spellcasting: As cleric (wisdom based, must have a wisdom of 10+ spell level to cast), but the Raging Soul gets only one Domain (which must be War, Strength, Destruction, Competition and possibly more added later) and cannot Spontaneously Cast healing or inflict spells. This Domain restriction is because only deities of this nature call for such violent devotion. The Raging Soul has their own spell list (currently pending).

Rage (Ex): The Raging Soul enters a rage driven by their devotion to In a rage, a Raging Soul temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but he takes a –2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase in Constitution increases the Raging Soul’s hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the rage when his Constitution score drops back to normal. (These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are.) While raging, a Raging Soul cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats. A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the character’s (newly improved) Constitution modifier. A Raging Soul may prematurely end his rage. At the end of the rage, the Raging Soul loses the rage modifiers and restrictions and becomes fatigued (–2 penalty to Strength, –2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for the duration of the current encounter. A Raging Soul can fly into a rage only once per encounter. At 1st level he can use his rage ability once per day. At 4th level and every four levels thereafter, he can use it one additional time per day (to a maximum of six times per day at 20th level). Entering a rage takes no time itself, but a Raging Soul can do it only during his action, not in response to someone else’s action.

Fast Movement (Ex): A Raging Soul’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the Raging Soul’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 2nd level, a Raging Soul retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a barbarian already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below) instead.
Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 5th level and higher, a Raging Soul can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the barbarian by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has barbarian levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.
Wrath (Su): While raging, the Raging Soul gains the ability to smite creatures deserving of his deity's wrath. For most deities this would include Undead or evil outsiders and generally not just any humanoids you come across (unless followers of a rival deity), but final decision of a targets validity is dependent on the DM and the specific deity's dogma. This allows the Raging Soul to make a special attack as a standard action once per use of his Rage ability. This attack is made at a BAB equal to the Raging Soul's character level and with a divine bonus to hit of +1 per 4 levels in Raging Soul. This attack automatically threatens a critical if the foe is capable of receiving critical hits. If successful the attack will deal an extra 1d6 holy damage to the target. This damage is multiplied on a successful critical. Damage increases to +2d6 at level 12 and +3d6 at level 18.
Righteous Rage (Su): While raging the Raging Soul is still able to cast divine spells gained from levels in this class as long as their casting time is a standard action or less.
Cleansing (Sp): By expending both a use of his Rage ability and a Domain Spell slot (level determined by a d6 roll) the Raging Soul is able to cleanse himself or a willing ally touched as a standard action. This cleansing functions as the Greater Restoration spell, with the additional effect of curing any diseases or poisons. This effect is limited in that the source of any effect removed by it must have been magical or supernatural in nature. Any diseases, poisons, ability or level damage that was caused by natural sources will not be removed.
Tireless Rage (Ex): The Raging Soul is no longer fatigued after his rage ends.
Divine Rage (Su): While raging the Raging Soul may quicken one divine spell cast (again only usable on spells gained from levels in this class) as though they had the Sudden Quicken metamagic feat. This ability is usable only once per use of the Raging Soul's Rage ability.

Class Features Spoilered to conserve space and because most of them you're familiar with. The features Wrath, Cleansing, and the two improved Rages are my creations, so input on those would be good.

As you can see I basically took the two classes and smashed them together untill things fit, then added a few unique abilities. This is designed for a follower of Thor or a Thor-like deity, but could be adapted for any god of war, strength or destruction.

Thoughts? I decided not to keep Turn Undead or many of the Barbarian class features beyond Rage and Uncanny Dodge. I debated keeping the Greater and Mighty Rage abilities but thought that might get too powerful. Anyway, let me know what you think.

EDIT: I've also thought about doing a PrC version for multiclassing Cleric/Barbarian, though I'll keep this one regardless. Also, I'm not attached to the name so if anyone thinks of a better one... I'll give you a cookie. :smallsmile:

EDIT:PrC version, as well as one with full BAB and Paladin spell progression are pending, should be up by tomorrow.

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-26, 06:03 AM
Looks pretty good to me... Namewise, you could try something tribal- maybe Godswrath Priest?

Armads
2008-05-26, 06:33 AM
A Barbarian with a good will save, and good cleric buffs? Ouch. I think it's rather imbalanced. Maybe drop the spellcasting to a custom spell list, or make it like Paladin spellcasting?

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-26, 06:36 AM
Less BAB, though, which helps a bit.

Prophaniti
2008-05-26, 07:17 AM
Yeah, I'm seriously considering Paladin-like spell progression, though I'd prefer to keep it Bard-like, since the idea is basically a cleric with rage. I'll probably create a custom spell list to keep it from being too uber, but I don't think it will overpower any of our campaigns. We don't have any serious powergamers or munchkins in the group (ex 90% of the wizards we run are blasters).

What about putting the barbarian's Greater and Mighty Rage abilities back in, or Indomitable Will? Is Wrath ok? It's a pretty beefy version of smite, but I figure usable only once per rage and limited DM-approved target selection puts a cap on it pretty nicely. The idea was to give it something to hurt undead since I dropped Turning and Thor doesn't like undead. But since there's probably a god of strength/war/destruction out there somewhere who doesn't mind undead, I'd leave it open to anyone deemed directly opposing the deity's ideals.