PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Robert Asprin... You shall be missed

rkr1970
2008-05-26, 08:43 AM
First we lose Robert Jordan, then Gary Gygax, and now, on May 22nd, Robert Asprin has passed away. They say that the deaths of great or famous people come in threes. Three movie stars, three polititians, what ever. But has the world ever suffered the loss of three such world-makers in so short a time? It's as if the fantastic worlds they brought us seem to have dulled for a while. as if the magic that causes them to breathe is weakened by my grief. So many lives have been enriched by escaping into the worlds that Robert Asprin gave us. I know mine has. Good Bye Bob. God Speed.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-26, 10:08 AM
So ends the enchanting adventures of a boy and his demon. Indeed, RLA shall be mythed.

Vaire
2008-05-26, 10:11 AM
You introduced me to the wonderful world of comical fantasy, and I will never forget the wonderful times I had with Aahz, Skeeve, Tananada, and Gleep. Thanks Mr. Asprin. Godspeed.

Raider
2008-05-26, 10:45 AM
Mr. Aspirin I wish you well on thy final adventure

Thes Hunter
2008-05-26, 02:44 PM
My sincerest condolences go out to the family. Though I didn't know anyone in the family well, I do know Mr. Asprin was well loved. It is never easy to lose a father or a son, so wish them all the best in this trying time.

Pyrian
2008-05-26, 03:44 PM
Gleep! :smallfrown:

Pink
2008-05-26, 03:53 PM
Oh dear. I really loved his books. Indeed another sad event.

...I think I'll have to read over the Myth books I have now.

DraPrime
2008-05-26, 05:08 PM
So sad :smallfrown:

Felixaar
2008-05-27, 12:35 AM
First coming onto this thread, I though, oh no, the guy who invented asprin! In seriousness though, while I havent read any of his work, it always sad to mourn the passing of a fellow fantasy writer.

reorith
2008-05-27, 12:40 AM
and i just purchased a copy of another fine myth today :smallfrown:
*pours a 40 on the curb*

Telonius
2008-05-27, 08:22 AM
The Myth series, Thieves' World... Particularly sad now, right when he was starting to write more books in the Myth series. Aahz and Skeeve were some of my earliest companions in fantasy literature. His family will be in my thoughts today.

EmeraldRose
2008-05-27, 07:12 PM
This is the first I've heard of him dying, and I find myself to be incredibly saddened. I've read so many of his books over the years...

I wonder who will be next? How many more fantasy/sci-fi icons in the near future?

:smallfrown:

Vaire
2008-05-28, 08:48 AM
This is the first I've heard of him dying, and I find myself to be incredibly saddened. I've read so many of his books over the years...

I wonder who will be next? How many more fantasy/sci-fi icons in the near future?

:smallfrown:

The problem is that most of the original icons that we grew up with are reaching the end of the natural life-cycle. It will get worse before it gets better.

Duck of Destiny
2008-05-29, 03:08 PM
You know, I just bought his newest book a week before he died. It was the first of a new series he was starting. It's a real shame, the book is pretty good so far.

But I heard about a minor tragedy involved with his death. They found him collapsed with a book in his hand. I hope he finished reading it :smallfrown:

I think I myth him already.

Kjata
2008-05-29, 08:38 PM
First coming onto this thread, I though, oh no, the guy who invented asprin!

I seriously thought that, lol. It took me a couple of posts to realize it was an author!