PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite spells

BRC
2008-05-26, 04:34 PM
What spells are your favorite, these don't have to be Good spells, or exploitable spells, or even very useful ones, they just have to be spells that you like.

Personally, I'm a fan of Body of War from the Spell Compendium, a 7th level spell that turns you into a giant robot (Well, Warforged Titan technically).

Also: Fireball, a classic standbye.

Reality Maelstrom: 9th level spell that rips open a hole in reality that sucks things in and sticks them on some random plane.

Lochar
2008-05-26, 04:39 PM
Not a spell, but the warlock Crawling Eye invocation is always fun for me.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-26, 04:44 PM
The Silent Image line, hands down.

monty
2008-05-26, 04:52 PM
Prestidigitation. Fun to say, fun to use. I also second the Image spells.

RikuKupo
2008-05-26, 05:15 PM
Steal Life from the BoVD. You can use it on a lvl 1 goblin and get about a year of your life back.

Epinephrine
2008-05-26, 05:18 PM
Infestation of Maggots. It's not that great (unless you can boost the DC a bunch), but it's just so creepy, has a real vibe to it.

Innis Cabal
2008-05-26, 05:19 PM
Dance of Ruin- BoVD
Magic Missle-No ones listed it yet? Come on
Venomfire-SpK

AmberVael
2008-05-26, 05:21 PM
Arcane Fusion. It's just fun to mess around with.
Persistent Blade is a nifty little spell too.

Edit: Oh, and Amanuensis. Instant xerox! :smalltongue:

Newtkeeper
2008-05-26, 05:55 PM
Prestidigitation! Any medieval lord would have paid in blood for a caster of this.

For one, just one, first level spell slot, you can do almost almost anything that has no game-mechanical effect. For an hour! Never eat nasty tasting food again. Who needs profession to earn money? And, really, though some spells have bigger mechanical effects, none top having your shining clean cape billow as you enter. It's not about the crunch, old sport, it's about style!

monty
2008-05-26, 06:02 PM
Prestidigitation! Any medieval lord would have paid in blood for a caster of this.

For one, just one, first level spell slot, you can do almost almost anything that has no game-mechanical effect. For an hour! Never eat nasty tasting food again. Who needs profession to earn money? And, really, though some spells have bigger mechanical effects, none top having your shining clean cape billow as you enter. It's not about the crunch, old sport, it's about style!

It's a 0-level spell

Exactly. Best spell evar.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-26, 06:10 PM
It's a 0-level spell

And you can memorize or cast 0th-level spells from 1st-level spell slots, so what's your point? :smalltongue:

Chronos
2008-05-26, 06:16 PM
Prestidigitation. It doesn't do much mechanically, but it's supremely versatile, and it's always available in any game. Sure, Wish is more powerful, but how often do you get the chance to cast one of those?

Shrink Item. I think it's intended for carrying around big bulky items like pianos or solid gold idols, and it's good for that. But it's also good for getting obstacles out of your way, or throwing pebbles boulders at people, or hiding your campfire quickly, or a dozen other uses. Plus, carrying around things like pianos on a regular basis is just cool.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-26, 06:18 PM
Solid Fog - Best spell in the game.

Vortex of Teeth - Add it to a solid fog and you've got a SOLID FOG OF TEETH! :smallbiggrin:

Moonbolt - A long range source of strength damage for the BBEG.

FinalJustice
2008-05-26, 06:21 PM
Arcane Spellsurge.

What?

DiscipleofBob
2008-05-26, 06:22 PM
Thunderhead - Summons a little thundercloud over a subject that follows them around and pesters them with lightning bolts for 1 damage apiece. (Reflex save negates damage) Is it useful? No. Is it hilarious to watch the NPC run around while he gets zapped over and over again. Hell yes.

Electric Vengeance - You touch me, I give you 2d8+1/caster level electricity damage.

Slapping Hand - A hand made of force that appears out of nowhere and slaps your target across the face. Doesn't actually do any damage, but it does provoke an opportunity from everyone who threatens the target.

Dinosaur Stampede - The better question is, how can you NOT love this spell. Okay, the damage sucks, but... come on... COME ON...

Newtkeeper
2008-05-26, 06:43 PM
Dinosaur Stampede - The better question is, how can you NOT love this spell. Okay, the damage sucks, but... come on... COME ON...

Thor's beard! What book is that from?!

Ned the undead
2008-05-26, 06:45 PM
Orthrinopt-
I mean Magic Missle.

EDIT: Also I like Stick. Nothing is funnier that knocking out squirrels and casting Stick to put them on the Fighter's face.

The Necroswanso
2008-05-26, 06:45 PM
Just about anything from BoVD.

and Wail of the Banshee. Your voice is just so terrible, it kills people.

Ned the undead
2008-05-26, 06:46 PM
Thor's beard! What book is that from?!

SPC
I summon a triceratops made of force!

de-trick
2008-05-26, 06:49 PM
fireball and magic missile both are classics

Raider
2008-05-26, 06:53 PM
Prestidigitation is just all around fun, and helps seduce maybe a barmaid

Cuddly
2008-05-26, 07:09 PM
Arcane Spellsurge.

What?

What's it do.

AmberVael
2008-05-26, 07:10 PM
EDIT: Also I like Stick. Nothing is funnier that knocking out squirrels and casting Stick to put them on the Fighter's face.
Stick is very fun. Especially when you have rendered someone helpless in some way so you can repeatedly place things on them.

Bosaxon
2008-05-26, 07:12 PM
Cloudkill

I have not found a problem of which this spell is not a solution.

holywhippet
2008-05-26, 07:47 PM
Cloudkill

I have not found a problem of which this spell is not a solution.

What if the problem is that you are stuck in a room being filled with poisonous gas?

For one, just one, first level spell slot, you can do almost almost anything that has no game-mechanical effect. For an hour! Never eat nasty tasting food again.

That could be a problem. Sometimes food tastes nasty because it is rotten. Prestidigitation doesn't stop food poisoning.

My vote would be for modify memory. You could pull off some really sneaky things with that spell - got a powerful enemy chasing after you because you took a swing at them? Use this spell and replace your face in their memory with the face of someone you dislike, add in their home address then sit back and watch the fun.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-26, 07:51 PM
Quintessence.

Nothing says 'awesome' like converting your downtime into a convenient means of excising your enemies from the timestream itself. At 7th level.

Bosaxon
2008-05-26, 07:54 PM
What if the problem is that you are stuck in a room being filled with poisonous gas?

Drop a cloudkill on yourself. It doesn't matter where you are if you're already dead. :smallbiggrin:

cupkeyk
2008-05-26, 07:57 PM
Arcane Fusion. It's just fun to mess around with.
Persistent Blade is a nifty little spell too.

Edit: Oh, and Amanuensis. Instant xerox! :smalltongue:

Arcane Fusion and Celerity for me. I love being able to put the battlefield into my favor as soon as possible.

Arcane Turmoil from Complete Mage.

Shadow Conju. My allies get a +4 to their will saves and they can see through and breathe freely in my stinking cloud. Plus it nets you three levels of other party friendly battlefield control tricks. Use it to cast stuff like caustic smoke, web and grease. If your DM will allow it, feed your party mates with shadow Create Food and Water.

FMArthur
2008-05-26, 07:58 PM
Greater Magic Weapon. Best use of Chameleon's ahead-of-the-curve caster level, in my books.

Rebonack
2008-05-26, 08:01 PM
Polymorph Any Object.

Some people use this spell to turn annoying opponents into small animals or allies into very large, very dangerous things.

I use it to turn large blocks of air ten feet above annoying opponents into solid lead. Or the ground they're standing on into a pool of molten rock.

My favorite use of this spell by far?

Flesh to Kittens.

Kill the bad-guy and get a pile of adorable baby cats? Everyone wins!

Emperor Tippy
2008-05-26, 08:01 PM
Mind Rape, Smokey Confinement, and Prestidigitation.

But Mind Rape is first, there is no problem that can't be solved by enough Mind Rapes.

Ograbme
2008-05-26, 08:17 PM
Message is a no-save, no SR cantrip that makes other people hear voices in their head for 10 minutes/level.

Xanamir
2008-05-26, 08:26 PM
Avasculate.

How do I show people that I am displeased with their cell phone conversation at the next table over in a restaurant?

By making them purge their own blood through every bodily orifice.

Vortling
2008-05-26, 08:28 PM
My vote is for Prestidigitation. Why don't Beguilers get it? :smallfrown:

Nohwl
2008-05-26, 08:36 PM
time stop is one of my favorites.

hylian chozo
2008-05-26, 08:46 PM
Flare. It's useful for attracting attention or giving a signal.
Levitate can be fun if you abuse the "unconscious=willing" part of targeting spells.
Sanctuary+Heighten Spell=Win
I've always just liked Phantasmal Killer for some reason. Don't know why.

Temp.
2008-05-26, 08:46 PM
Nobody listed Defenestrating Sphere? It's a frigging Defenestrating Sphere! It's also pretty okay as far as blasting spells go.

BRC
2008-05-26, 09:23 PM
Nobody listed Defenestrating Sphere? It's a frigging Defenestrating Sphere! It's also pretty okay as far as blasting spells go.

A sphere that throws anybody it touches out of a window?

jcsw
2008-05-26, 09:28 PM
A sphere that throws anybody it touches out of a window?

Actually, yes. Except not necessarily out a window.

I like Transmute Rock to Lava, because turning the ground into lava, which you can make yourself immune to with Spellguard Rings is always funny.

Edan
2008-05-26, 09:34 PM
I will throw another vote for Mindrape, but I also like Incite Riot (PH2).
Nothing is more fun than making a crowd of people randomly punch the person next to them. Extra points if you can implicate a group or individual as the starter.

obvious pun
2008-05-26, 09:43 PM
Reduce person. Why? Cast it on a gnome, and you have the perfect throwing weapon.

Magic missile. Who needs a light spell when you can attack the darkness?

Hal
2008-05-26, 09:44 PM
I've always been a fan of Entice Gift. You make target hand you whatever is in their hands (within one round).

The many wacky applications of this make me giggle.

Cuddly
2008-05-26, 09:51 PM
The many wacky applications of this make me giggle.

Oh god....

Myatar_Panwar
2008-05-26, 09:55 PM

Oh I love defenestrating sphere. Once used it on an enemy already trapped within a wall of sand.
*Walk slowly through sand
*Fly through the wall, then land back within it.
*Get Up
*Get knocked into the air again after moving another 5 feet.

I remember the bad guy actually suffocating within the wall for a few turns as the sphere wasn't pushing him out of the wall for a bit, thus denying him the only bit of air he would get going up, then crashing back down over and over again.

Leon
2008-05-26, 10:08 PM
Baleful Polymorph - Bufos Hex
Greater Slide - getting pushy with friends and enemies
Animalistic Power - 3in1 Buff
Dispel Magic - Great for all manner of reasons
Bones of the Earth - Useful and themeaticaly cool

monty
2008-05-26, 11:33 PM
And how could I forget Melf's Unicorn Arrow? I once considered making a PrC focused on that spell, just because the concept made me laugh.

"I shoot unicorns at you!"
"Wait, what?"

The_Werebear
2008-05-26, 11:43 PM
Need to second Avasculate; there is nothing quite so glorious as your opponent coughing up half their HP.

Disintegrate is nice and fun.

I've been known to make great use of Magic Jar.

Teleport is just pure fun and awesome

Reinboom
2008-05-26, 11:54 PM
Benign Transposition
It's utility is just, well, wonderful.

Greater Anticipate Teleportation + Dimension Shuffle
Because making half the group of enemies disappear mysteriously for 3 rounds is fun.

Finger Darts
This has a special place in my heart, for my evil evil Fiend of Possession I once played.
"I possess you, oh, I can cast spells through you now. *rip*"

NEO|Phyte
2008-05-27, 12:01 AM
Form of Doom (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/formofDoom.htm). Because everything is better with tentacles.

Zanatos777
2008-05-27, 12:09 AM
I like Sound Lance (getting rid of pesky vampire spawn), Ray of Stupidity (drooling Huge Blue Dragon and makes the DM want to cry with metamagic), greater mirror image (made DM consider banning immediate actions), and celerity (cause its awesome). Those are the ones I use as a player.
I love avasculate for the reasons above. Rebonack great ideas for PAO. Mind Rape has such horrible implications I have to love it. So does Programmed Amnesia.

Eldariel
2008-05-27, 12:24 AM
Locate City, for being the most destructive spell in D&D.

Adumbration
2008-05-27, 12:25 AM
Choking sands - I know, I know, it sucks against enemies with high Con, but can you say no to coating the lungs of your enemies with sand?

Oh, yes, and Greater Arcane Fusion. It's the best thing since sliced bread if you can't quicken anything.

quiet1mi
2008-05-27, 12:53 AM
as a DM who likes crazy things i would have to go with....

Dancing lights because there is a lot you can do with it...

Dm: you see yet another ball of glowing light
Player 1:I use knowledge arcana to see what it is ... 20
DM: you wrack your brain for the seemingly obscure creature identity but alas you realize that you have read no book about this creature [grins]
Player 1: i cast magic missile on it..
Dm: the missiles flys toward you target and the ball of light absorbs it and is turning into a humanoid form.
Player 1:now would be a good time to run guys....

it was great fun, great fun indeed

the best part is when you just describe what it looks like or what looks to be going on, rather than say the mechanical part to it.

Albonor
2008-05-27, 12:55 AM
Charm person- Because it is so much better to let them help you kill them!

loopy
2008-05-27, 01:28 AM
Glibness. The existence of a spell that gives +30 to bluff checks hasn't helped with my compulsive lying...

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-27, 01:47 AM
I can't believe that no one else has said Mass Heal yet. Regenerate and Prestigitation are also brilliant. Sweetrein, is Finger Darts really that practical? (Unless it regrows your fingers afterwards: http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/spells.php?ID=5562 ).

Waspinator
2008-05-27, 02:19 AM
And how could I forget Melf's Unicorn Arrow? I once considered making a PrC focused on that spell, just because the concept made me laugh.

"I shoot unicorns at you!"
"Wait, what?"

And our unicorns shall block out the sun!

DrowVampyre
2008-05-27, 03:25 AM
Explosive Runes. Cause it can be used like Vaarsuvius does in hilarious ways, is an awesome ace in the hole, makes a great spell to use those unfilled slots on at the end of the day, and makes Arcane Archers one of the most potentially damaging classes in the game. ^_^

Shrink Item. Picture this: wizard casts shrink item on a bunch of boulder, raging infernos, or whatever other nastiness sounds like fun. Then take a handful of the resulting pebbles/tiny frozen flames/etc. and tosses them at the enemy...and unshrinks in mid-flight. Better yet, load all these little pebbles into a catapult and watch as a single shot annihilates half the opposing army.

Phantasmal Killer. Ok, it's not that great, I know, but I once killed a balor equivalent DM pet monster with it at level 7, so it has a special place of recognition.

PlatinumJester
2008-05-27, 01:00 PM
Explosive ruins - explosive toilet paper anyone. You just have to rig it right.

Detect Undead - how ****ing useless is this spell. It's so bad that it's funny.

Displacer form - because displacer beasts are pimp looking and remind me of Prince (for some reason).

Divine Insight - this is what Jimmy Page cast when he wrote his solos.

Avasculate - just because I like giving people horrible deaths where they cry, sweat, urinate and secrete blood.

Heartache - save or die at level 1 is fine by me.

Arokh
2008-05-27, 01:43 PM
Hmm..
My very favorite spell would be:
Greataxe Critical Hit :smallwink: - No problem it does not solve after enough time (exept damage reduction, damage immunity and almost anything else)

As for real spells:
Anti-Magic Sphere - Ok, it might be a bit lame, but I like it :smallbiggrin:

So long, Arokh

axraelshelm
2008-05-27, 02:05 PM
wall of stone. can be sculpted. Made forts, baracades, tripping devices against giants. torture devices. ladders. big hammers. protective shells.

Douglas
2008-05-27, 02:26 PM
wall of stone. can be sculpted. Made forts, baracades, tripping devices against giants. torture devices. ladders. big hammers. protective shells.
Undermaster. Cast Wall of Stone at will as a spell-like ability. Granted, it only lasts 5 rounds, but it also gives a bunch of other options and there are ways to apply Persistent Spell to it if you're not averse to a little cheese.

Ned the undead
2008-05-27, 05:59 PM
Displacer form - because displacer beasts are pimp looking and remind me of Prince (for some reason).

I'm not the only one!

Innis Cabal
2008-05-27, 06:03 PM
Avasculate.

How do I show people that I am displeased with their cell phone conversation at the next table over in a restaurant?

By making them purge their own blood through every bodily orifice.

Or take avasculating mass....what's more fun then showing everyone that one person is near how displeased you are as well?

NephandiMan
2008-05-28, 04:50 PM
Oh, I've got a bunch of favorites. I loves my spells almost as much as I loves my casters.

Magic Missile, of course. Who doesn't like it?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes Mindrape; it makes me feel like a marginally less horrible person.

Stop the Heart is great fun, especially if you take a potato chip...and EAT IT! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaoy1QKxGQs)

Time Stop + 4 Prismatic Walls + Acid Fog = OH GOD WHY HAS MY LIFE BECOME PAIN?!

As for divine casters, nothing says "Eat holy wrath!" like Flame Strike, unless it's...

Natural Spell + anything. Anything. Druids rip so much it's not even funny. Especially if your pet bear is augmented with Greater Magic Fang.