PDA

View Full Version : D&D Vs. Magic: The Gathering Vs. Yu-gi-oh Vs. Warhammer 40,000

Sliver_Slave
2008-05-26, 05:44 PM
First, which has a better storyline? Do you prefer the over the topness of 40K? The fantasy of D&D? Immortal wizards battling with minions collected from various planes? Random kids losing their souls over a children's card game?

Second, which has better mechanics? The sometimes impossible grapple and attack of opportunity rules?

Innis Cabal
2008-05-26, 05:52 PM
D&D dosnt have a singlular story line, so if you are asking for any of them, FR has more written then any other setting, and while over powered on alot of characters, still better written then all of the others. Magic's over lieing storyline was utterly destroyed after Domineria was taken out. Yu-Gi-Oh was fine when the Pharoh MIND CRUSHED everyone with amazingly insane games. WH40K is in a leauge of its own for amazingness

Echowinds
2008-05-26, 05:53 PM
For me it's D&D > Warhammer 40k > The other two

Sliver_Slave
2008-05-26, 05:59 PM
D&D dosnt have a singlular story line, so if you are asking for any of them, FR has more written then any other setting, and while over powered on alot of characters, still better written then all of the others. Magic's over lieing storyline was utterly destroyed after Domineria was taken out. Yu-Gi-Oh was fine when the Pharoh MIND CRUSHED everyone with amazingly insane games. WH40K is in a leauge of its own for amazingness

Ah, yes. I was referring to the generic fantasy thing, but yes, we must never forget the crimes of the MWSNBNPs.

Lady Tialait
2008-05-26, 06:04 PM

Dominearia didn't get taken out of M:TG's story line, it's central still. Even with the kamigawa (The problem was based in the Onslaught of Dominara), Mirridin (Karn, silver golem created the plane, and the Mirri was hidden there), and Ravnica (The souls could not be released from the city because Dominara's instability.) the story was still about good ol' Dominaria, Urza is gone, but we still have....well had Teferi (I always thought he was a wuss personally), Freyalise, and Windgrace (His exit was awesome). And now Vensir, and the 'New' Planeswalkers, exilently done, I havn't read the newest three, but i'm gunna be buying and reading the Lyrwan books...

Yu-Gi-Oh is way to kidddy of a story line for me. It doesn't get any points.

WarHammer 40k is okay, but Sci-Fi isn't really my thing. It's well done flavor. I'll give it a 9/10 after personal bias.

As for D&D......i'll just hit the Major Settings and tell you want I think...
GreyHawk: Gygax did an awesome job here I love this setting, but after wizards turned it into 'the generic setting' nobody remembered the old nicly done setting.

FR: Waaaaay too large, This place has become a Gag of Epic Proportions. For some reason FR needs to include everything that is D&D in it. I'm kinda glad for the reboot...if that is still happening.

DragonLance: Love it...pure....awesome....

Eberron: Awww, look at the baby...I like it the balance is intresting. Loads of low-level magic, but more rarity in Higher-level Magic. I really like it. I enjoy a nice buckleing of all my swash when I play in that realm...

RavenLoft: Is this even a Demiplane anymore?...I got the Castle RavenLoft book...and...BAH!...

I know I didn't get them all...but I've never played in Mysteria, Spelljammer, Dark Sun, or alot of the other settings. I think I've made my opion known. I like the story of M:tG better then pretty much anthing else. But, I like the old Greyhawk stuff.

Sliver_Slave
2008-05-26, 06:12 PM
I don't really agree with your point on the MWSNBNPs (Planescrawlers, bradywalkers, whatever you call them).

They were the worst and most unnecessary change. Also, I'd advise reading bot the Time Spiral books and Lorwyn books. all are 300 pages of filler.

Lady Tialait
2008-05-26, 06:23 PM
I read the Time Spiral books, I enjoyed them. I am going to read the Lorwyn books...just because I can...

The old planewalkers were cool, but Urza's job is done. and he didn't exactly do it. The new generation of superpowerful creatures need to take over.

SurlySeraph
2008-05-26, 07:08 PM

*parrots*

Faerun for the win! Also Planescape. I never quite got Dragonlance, and Eberron vaguely irritates me. I think it's that it has both fairly common dinosaurs and magic trains. One or the other would be fine, but together it's just too weird.

Callos_DeTerran
2008-05-26, 07:41 PM
Greyhawk reigns supreme even though I was born too late to sample fully of it's greatness. Faerun is too EPIC BARTENDERS! I know next to nothing about Eberron or the other settings. So technically D&D first.

After that you have Warhammer 40K...mostly cause I like Tyranids and Necrons in ways probably illegal in some places. Then Yu-Gi-Oh (At least I KNEW the story to that, and enjoy playing it more) then Magic.

Xuincherguixe
2008-05-26, 07:46 PM
"Tzeentch! I challenge you to a children's card game!"
"Alright. I've already won anyways."
"What?"
"Nevermind. Draw you cards."
"Alright I..."
"My deck is loaded with hideously cheap cards. There are no combinations of them where I don't win in the first turn."
"... Can't I use the power of friendship to win?"
"No. Your using the power of friendship just strengthens me."
"That's lame. I'm never playing with you again."
"... Just as planned!"

Innis Cabal
2008-05-26, 08:04 PM
There were instances in the manga for Yu-gi-oh that werent kiddy, one instance where Yami kills a guy for Lulz in a shadow game, repeated sexual innuendo with the female lead and her job at a resturant etc. 4kids and a whole slew of outcry from japanese since shifted the tone slightly, but only slightly in Japan and laughably bad in America.

FR was never built to be a low fantasy world. Where you can sneeze and arch-magi just turn to give you a hannky.

40K is also one of those worlds where it is set to be so extreme on the power axis.

Most other D&D worlds run along the lines of low to high power'ed lands. Ebberon is just to.....eh for my personal tastes to even consider as a viable playing world. Mystara was never officaly carried over so my hopes for Red Steel 3.5 was dashed on the ground before it even got off the ground, and Grayhawk imho was generic and....boring in comparison to alot of the other worlds that were out at the time like Planescape or Spelljammer.

As for Magic, i dont care what you have to say about how it still runs with Dominera, they killed off most of the Planes walkers, Urza and most of the big named guys are gone. It took Time Spiral for them to even give a damn card to Lim Dul who has always been the best necromancer in history on merit of him -not- having ever been stated, and a whole lot of other changes made for the fans.

Flickerdart
2008-05-26, 08:11 PM
In terms of power level...

Planeswalkers can whoop any Yu-Gi-Oh thing, because they're technically fightng against cards and stupid kids...and yet would be matched in ability by any wizard who can Plane Shift. D&D wins hands down, since a Summon Monster IX can crush anything you can put down on the first turn, Dark Ritual and Myojin cheese aside.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled storyline related discussion.

Mr. Scaly
2008-05-26, 09:13 PM
Alright then...

I have never played Warhammer and don't know the mechanics, but the flavour and plot is awesome, and I've thought about getting into it for that reason alone.

Yugioh used to be cool during the first season or so. Then...it sucked. And the card game used to be fun before they banned or severely limited every card that suggested an innovative strategy.

I've only recently really started to play DnD but it's always had a special place in my mind because it's a massive fantasy universe.

But Magic: The gathering is king of them all.

1) From a gamer's perspective it has remained vibrant and ever changing. The only times Wizards has banned cards was when they tested a new format or when the meta-game stagnated. It's not like Yugioh where 'the game is called Duel Monsters, so attack with them.' And it actually has good cards that aren't rare.

2) From a fantasy fan's perspective, the universe is massive, innovative, and just plain 'more' than any other setting except maybe DnD. There's always a surprise.

3) From a personal perspective, it could kick the asses of every other universe. But that's just a slice of my personal philosophy and doesn't need to derail the thread. :smalltongue:

GoC
2008-05-26, 09:48 PM

Me too.
Except Yu-gi-oh: The Abridged Series is better than all four of them.:smallbiggrin:

Edan
2008-05-26, 09:58 PM
DnD First, wins because of "create your own adventure" type homemade stories told daily by amateurs and professionals, those are just more fun. Mt:G has some good story, but I never read the books, just the cards text to get the gist of it, and I felt it to be decent, nothing epic or astounding, just decent.

Yu-Gi-Oh is only good with the unedited series, the 4Kids butchering of it ruined any and all hope for plot, uncensored it was actually enjoyable. Don't know enough about 40k tho.

Xefas
2008-05-26, 10:35 PM
...one instance where Yami kills a guy for Lulz in a shadow game...

I seem to recall that happening more than once in the original manga.

"You've mildly inconvenienced some high school students that I barely know. Time to mindrape you until you're a thoughtless, barely living vegetable."

And then there's the part where Yami Marik gets decapitated in his game against Mai, but that was more funny than gruesome due to his very nonchalant attitude towards having to pick up and carry around his severed skull by the (enormous) hair.

But the whole thing is silly business anyway, so I'd definitely go Warhammer40k > D&D > Other Two

Mr. Scaly
2008-05-26, 10:43 PM
I seem to recall that happening more than once in the original manga.

"You've mildly inconvenienced some high school students that I barely know. Time to mindrape you until you're a thoughtless, barely living vegetable."

And then there's the part where Yami Marik gets decapitated in his game against Mai, but that was more funny than gruesome due to his very nonchalant attitude towards having to pick up and carry around his severed skull by the (enormous) hair.

But the whole thing is silly business anyway, so I'd definitely go Warhammer40k > D&D > Other Two

I will say this for Yugioh, the main hero is as much a psycho as the antagonists.

Dumbledore lives
2008-05-26, 11:16 PM
Except Yu-gi-oh: The Abridged Series is better than all four of them.:smallbiggrin:

Totally agree with this,
"Give me your Blue Eyes White Dragon Old Man!"
"No, Never"
"Curses, foiled again."

And then of course there's "Screw the rules I have money." I love that, and no clone comes even close to the quality. I don't know much about Magic fluff but I'd have to agree D and D> Warhammer > Magic > the only version of Yu-gi-oh I've seen.

tyckspoon
2008-05-27, 12:31 AM
Yugioh used to be cool during the first season or so. Then...it sucked. And the card game used to be fun before they banned or severely limited every card that suggested an innovative strategy.

The latter seasons are entertainingly insane, at least. Look up a synopsis of the last season or two of GX.. and the next one coming up (5D's. Yes, the apostrophe is part of the official name.) has a premise roughly described as Akira.. where everybody is obsessed with a card game. That is played while driving motorcycles at high speeds.

quiet1mi
2008-05-27, 01:05 AM
hmmm... card games being lpayed while driving motorcycles at high speeds....

how completely unsafe and reckless for them to put that on TV...if they did not wear a helmet.

Eldariel
2008-05-27, 01:05 AM
I'd put Magic on the top for sure. D&D and Warhammer is a tough call though. Yu-Gi-Oh wins for having the best parody every, but beyond that, the whole universe is kind of dumb (cardgames are a holy power that binds the world together between some shadow world and the real world and eventually people found it and began to harness its powers by playing games...or something, I'm not exactly sure what the hell is going on in that world, but I do know that it's dumb). The show was surprisingly amusing though (in Japanese of course - the English version...*shudder*). And yea, GX really ****ed things up, while 5D promises to combine every little Timmy's dreams: transformers, motorbikes and cardgames!

It's funny - season 4, the motorbike season, in the original was hated by just about everyone and now they're making an entire series based on that very season, except with one more ridiculous element added (Transformer cards! And no, I'm not talking about Magnet Warriors or XYZ Dragon Cannon).

But I find Magic to be the most grandeur story of them all since it thinks really big. It's the only continuum where we regularly get to follow god-like entities at work, and the worlds are just awesome. So, Magic wins.

EDIT: Yugioh Season 0 (or well, the Konami Yugioh) is totally awesome, based on the first chapters of the manga. It's extremely violent, has pretty much nothing to do with cardgames and shows Yami really kicking ass (based on the first mangas).

Smeik
2008-05-27, 04:32 AM
DO NOT read the lorwyn books of Magic. seriously. They are the worst books they've published yet with a highly unimaginative story and boring characters and whatnot. Skip them and perhaps read a synopsis somewhere and go straight to the Shadowmoor anthology, which actually comes back to the awesome storylines.:smallbiggrin:

Fluff-wise, I would say for me it is Warhammer 40k>Magic the Gathering>D&Ds main settings >Yu-Gi-Oh

but thats only my opinion and doesn't take into account any game mechanics as I have never played Yu-Gi-Oh and only very little D&D, sadly.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-05-27, 06:29 AM
Yu-Gi-Oh is auto-lose.
D&D is auto-win
And MTG and WH 40k draw for 2nd place.

Tengu
2008-05-27, 06:36 AM
DND is a mediocre RPG that might get better with fourth edition.
Magic was a fun card game around the time of fourth-fifth edition, but in these days it's all cheap combos and cookie-cutter decks.
Yu-Gi-Oh is a hilarious parody series by Little Kuriboh. What, there's a source material? You jest!
Warhammer 40K would be cooler if it didn't have such an annoying fandom.

So, let's say, YGO Abridged >> DND > Magic > WH40K >> Original YGO

Solo
2008-05-27, 07:47 AM
hmmm... card games being lpayed while driving motorcycles at high speeds....

... in America.

Eita
2008-05-27, 07:47 PM
In terms of power level...

Planeswalkers can whoop any Yu-Gi-Oh thing, because they're technically fightng against cards and stupid kids...and yet would be matched in ability by any wizard who can Plane Shift. D&D wins hands down, since a Summon Monster IX can crush anything you can put down on the first turn, Dark Ritual and Myojin cheese aside.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled storyline related discussion.

Actually, to equal a Planeswalker, you have to be a class that Wizard's made for the sole purpose of equaling a Planeswalker: Cosmic Descryer.

Edan
2008-05-27, 07:55 PM
Actually, to equal a Planeswalker, you have to be a class that Wizard's made for the sole purpose of equaling a Planeswalker: Cosmic Descryer.

I just pulled out my ELH and I have to agree, that class is perfect to match a Mt:G planeswalker. I never noticed that until now, neat.

sikyon
2008-05-28, 08:36 PM
Story:

D&D: Cool story/history if you're using campaign settings. Most are pretty good.

Warhammer 40k: Excellent fluff, but you'll be dissapointed when you start playing.

YGO: See TV show.

Magic the Gathering: The story is absolutly inconsiquential. Perhaps 5% of all magic players actually follow the story line, and virtually none of them play regularly.

Mechanics:

MtG has the best mechanics. Balance, inventivness and fun. Don't let the 600 page comprehensive rulebook throw you off, you'll only ever use a tiny fraction of that unless you play for a long time and know all the crazy interactions. There are perhaps 3 grey situations in the entire comprehensive rules, so none of this rules squabbling.

YGO: Like MtG but worse

40k: Meh. I don't like 4th.

D&D: OK, but horribly unbalanced.